Erik Nanstiel And FAIR Autism Media

17 Jul

Earlier today I posted a link to an online petition that I’d created where those who disagreed with Autism Speaks recent propaganda piece ‘Autism Every Day’ and its messages that its acceptable to excuse murder, that most parents of autistic kids harbour thoughts of murder and that the reality of parenting autistic kids is never ending misery. I invited people to sign it if they agreed with it.

Upon checking the signatures submitted so far, I found an entry signed by ‘Raymond Babbit’. For those unaware of the reference Raymon Babbit was the autistic character portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the film Rainman. Someone obviously thinks its amusing to lampoon autistic people.

Luckily, I’d written the script to record signers IP addresses. This was to help me auto detect and delete duplicate entries and also, as I state to deter abusive entries. I am aware, as most of us are who either are autistic or who parent autistic kids or who work closely with autistic people that there is a certain breed of person, like ‘Raymond Babbit’ who see autistic people as fair game – people to be targeted and made a laughing stock of.

So I checked out ‘Raymond Babbit’s’ IP address (an IP address by the way is a unique string of numbers – also called a ‘dotted quad’ due to its appearance e.g. 127.0.0.1 – that is unique to one computer or network). This IP address started 209.* which I found interesting as it sounded very familiar to me.

So I ran that number through my blog admin comment search tool and got a set of results. All coming from comments made by one person – Erik Nanstiel, President of FAIR Autism Media.

Erik is the President of FAIR Autism Media, an organisation about which he says:

FAIR Autism Media is a collaborative project that really belongs to all of us in the autism community

June 28, 2006 at 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: New “Treating G.I. Problems” Video
On: chelatingkids2@yahoogroups.com

which is odd statement because after accusing me of attempting to hijack the murder of autistic children, Erik stated that:

FAIR’s website content is decided by the board of directors. We decided long ago that we would focus on collecting expert testimony on primarily biomedical & political issues concerning the autism community.

Source.

Which seems a bit of a pair of mismatched statements. Despite his claim that FAIR Autism Media is a project that belongs to the entire autism community, his project made no public condemnation of the murders of autistic children, preferring instead to attempt to excuse the murderer in question. His accusations toward myself and others of attempting to hijack the killing of autistic children to further our own agenda is strange coming from someone who has admitted to befriending and advising at least one killer of an autistic child and who’s co-director at FAIR Autism Media, Medical Directory Doctor David Ayoub has also admitted to regularly having phone conversations with the killers of autistic children in newspaper stories attempting to explain the viewpoints of people who are members of and support FAIR Autism Media.

As we can see from today’s behaviour, the belittling of attempts at protesting the murder of autistic children and the use of a name calculated to deliberately attack autistic people is maybe no real surprise. This is especially true when one considers the behaviour of some of Erik’s friends.

Like Erik, a man who used to post under the name of ‘srinath’ on the Autism Web forum is currently subjecting his daughter to the Lupron protocol overseen by the Geier’s. There are often heated debates on this forum but lately poster ‘srinath’ received a ban when he was questioned by an autistic member posting under the nom-de-plume ‘KaliDOW’ regarding the treatment of his child.

Srinath’s response was indicative of the type of person that undergoes the kind of treatment options pioneered by the Geier’s. His response is captured in a screenshot. Please be warned that it is very graphic. When he was remonstrated with by other forum members and subsequently banned he returned under a new identity and insulted the autistic member again. Please be warned that this screenshot is equally offensive. This is also not the first time that groups Erik is intimate with have attacked autistic people. It’s something of a recurring theme.

As it is, Erik’s offensive and deeply immature entry on the petition will stand. I will not delete it. It will serve as an enduring testament to the mindset and attitudes of FAIR Autism Media.

About these ads

25 Responses to “Erik Nanstiel And FAIR Autism Media”

1. anonimouse July 17, 2006 at 23:53 #

Kev,

While I wholeheartedly agree that folks like Erik Nanstiel should be called to the carpet for their actions, I think it was a bit much bringing his employer into it. We don’t appreciate that behavior when the anti-mercury folks try to “out” people on their message boards, sometimes in fairly repulsive fashion.

Then again, Erik wanted to be an autism celebrity…

2. Kev July 18, 2006 at 00:04 #

Great minds anonimouse ;o) I had a change of heart and deleted that bit then refreshed and saw your comment. You’re absolutely right.

3. Joseph July 18, 2006 at 01:33 #

Too bad Erik decided to do that. And it’s not surprising, really. He probably thought it was very funny. He should be more cautious about making fun of things which are no laughing matter.

4. Alexander's Daddy July 18, 2006 at 01:43 #

Great job Kev.

This is to Erik:

I hope you understand that you are pathetic for this stunt. How juvenile! How sad! I hope your child never discovers how much you hate him!

Kent Adams

5. andrea July 18, 2006 at 01:44 #

Kevin, you might check out the “Bruno Beatleheim ” signature recently added… (rolls eyes)

andrea

6. HN July 18, 2006 at 02:55 #

Hey… the posting style of a certain “Srinath” is very similar to a guy named “phil” who is posting on Orac’s blog.

He claims that a hyberbaric chamber he bought has helped his son… and is not terribly pleased to be told he may have been scammed.

7. Ms Clark July 18, 2006 at 04:08 #

Good grief.

Erik, dear, time to grow up. You are supposed to be a pillar in “your community” aren’t you?

Erik went on autismweb and pleaded for the moderator to let srinath come back after using that awful language on KaliDOW, according to Erik, because srinath wouldn’t be so sneaky as to come back under a fake ID, but the moderator told Erik that srinath had already come back under two other IDs. You can see in that second screenshot he came back as “crankcase,” a strangely appropriate handle. srinath’s a big fan of the Geiers, his son is being treated by Dr. Geier with “able” help from junior Geier.

8. Gabesmom July 18, 2006 at 06:10 #

Speaking of Erik, I just knew he would chime in when a new member on autismweb had concerns over the fact that her 3 year old son has peach fuzz on his legs and is tall for his age. Others of us tried to reassure her, but he sent her off to get her son’s testosterone levels checked. By his and Geier’s crazy standards half the children in my family must have been suffering from precocious puberty! As for srinath, I just pray to God he doesn’t kill his son, or his wife. Though, maybe after she’s been chelated long enough, his wife will actually start to think for herself and take their son far, far away. Now, that little scenario might make a believer out of me.

9. anonimouse July 18, 2006 at 14:19 #

My perfectly normal three-year-old has peach fuzz on her legs. Does that mean she needs Lupron?

Ridiculous.

10. anonimouse July 18, 2006 at 16:29 #

Edit – my daughter is not “perfectly normal”, because nobody is.

11. Ms Clark July 18, 2006 at 19:57 #

My dog is covered with fur, does that mean she needs lupron? Just checking.

Why isn’t it widely recognized that autistic males have lots of muscles, hair, acne and square jaws? These are things that testosterone does to males at different points in development.

I haven’t noticed that autistic males are particularly agressive, oversexed or domineering. Women can become this way if they have extra testosterone, actually, some menopausal women take testosterone to get their desire for sex back and notice that they feel more competent and they take charge more. So I’ve heard. Women on steroids (to build muscles for competetive body building) can get physically aggressive like men do.

Meltdowns happen sometimes in autism, but that’s not aggression, it is technically violence, but not aggression. There isn’t intent to try to make someone cower or to hurt someone. If you hurt my dog, she bites. She’s a problem at the vet because she’s been hurt at the vet and won’t give them another chance, she needs to be muzzled…this is a little dog, too. But, normally, she would never bite a stranger. I let strangers pet her with confidence. It’s only if they tried to clip her toenails or look in her ears that she’s dangerous to hands.

she may be autistic, not sure… looking into lupron…

12. Annonimus July 18, 2006 at 20:34 #

Srinath posted here that genomes are not genetic, and that “if you have the blond genome, its due to something that happened in the course of your parents life prior to your birth”. He then suggested that it might be the same for passing on mercury, too.Genomes not genetic? Umm…that’s where I stopped reading.

13. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) July 18, 2006 at 21:36 #

My question to Erik N, the autism celebrity…

Today in the shop, I saw a perfectly healthy peach with peach fuzz on it…. is this a sign that the peach needs lupron?????

Or is it a sign that you and the Geiers are talking bollocks?

14. Mike McCarron July 19, 2006 at 02:55 #

Unfortunately, I can not be as kind to whoever this person is as many of you have been. I can’t tell him that his behavior is immature or that it is time to grow up. He is completely grown, but the result just isn’t very good.

I signed that petition, with my real name. I found the film offensive, an exercise in narcissism. It paints the picture that at least one of these children would be better off dead. I deeply resent that. If you, whatever your name is, want to be arrogant and poke fun; take your best shot. But come out from your hiding place under the rock, try to stand up straight and say something.

15. Brad July 19, 2006 at 06:25 #

Kevin:

Not that I would waste my time compiling them, but some of the hate email we have received from many of the active posters on your blog would need a parent warning label to be posted here. No one is innocent in the immaturity department (Diva, do you really think you are above the fray?), and when you post with such a sense of outrage, you hold yourself and your side to a standard they could never meet. It’s very hypocritical.

This is all being done by a “man” who admits he barely has a pot to piss in with a two-bit web design firm and yet spends hours out of his day blogging that could be spent doing real work to make money to pay for therapy for his daughter. (Or, heck, to promote his misguided views.) I’m sure the majority of your potential “clients” are quickly alienated if they even peek into this side of your blog.

I doubt the flat-earthers realized they were the ones with the misguided view, and I doubt you will come around anytime soon. When you stoop to calling people out for petty offenses and sensationalizing a tragic death (there have actually been several, including one a few days ago, you just focus on the one where a biomed parent happened to be involved) of a child to further your agenda, your true nature emerges.

It’s a beautiful thing, we can’t both be right. One of us is dead wrong. While you prematurely declare the thimerosal-autism hypothesis to be dead (maybe if I say it, it will become true…), we keep getting emails of recovered children, with their diagnosis removed, who are headed off to lead normal lives. I really wish Megan was one of those kids, and I think one day her daddy will wake up and realize that this blog is good for one thing: a case study in the power of denial and foolishness.

Your blog is getting stale,

Brad

16. Kev July 19, 2006 at 07:01 #

_”Erik’s website is a beacon of truth and hope for thousands of parents of autistic children, and a direct threat to the still-incomprehensible position you hold that autism is not something to treat but rather to accept.”_

Erik is threatening to absolutely no one. Except the concepts of logic and truth, obviously. I realise to someone such as yourself Brad that accepting autistic people is low on the agenda. Like Erik, like srinath, like your boy John Best, you are also someone who finds picking on disabled people humorous.

_”Since what he does is threatening, you waste your time blogging about a humorous barb he tossed in your direction and, with a clear tendency towards histrionics on your part, try to make it into something far bigger than it is.”_

The comment from the commenter above you is from Mike McCarron, Katie McCarron’s grandad. He gets it. He gets why its utterly offensive to make ‘humorous barbs’ in this context. Erik doesn’t. You don’t. This is because you lack the capacity of understanding anothers pain. You are too caught up in your pity-party bullshit.

_”Not that I would waste my time compiling them, but some of the hate email we have received from many of the active posters on your blog would need a parent warning label to be posted here.”_

*If* these emails even exist then I’m sure they’re pretty bad. When you can find the ones that come from me then you can whine to me about them on my blog.

_”To make matters worse, in your original post you bring his employer into it, as if your change of heart masks how low you are willing to go. It’s a page from the playbbok of another loser, J.P.”_

Yeah, I shouldn’t have done that. That’s why I changed it.

_”This is all being done by a “man” who admits he barely has a pot to piss in with a two-bit web design firm and yet spends hours out of his day blogging that could be spent doing real work to make money to pay for therapy for his daughter.”_

I love it when you start the ‘foaming-at-the-mouth’ sections of your comments Brad :o) What in God’s name are you blathering about man? Two bit web design firm? I don’t work for _any_ web design firm. I haven’t worked in a design studio for four years.

My daughter gets loads of therapy thanks for your concern Brad. Whilst you’re busy shooting your kids up with whatever the latest quack on the block says is good, my daughters learning to read, use a computer, write, have fun, have an actual childhood. All Jamie is going to learn is how to roll up the sleeve of his shirt.

_”I doubt the flat-earthers realized they were the ones with the misguided view, and I doubt you will come around anytime soon.”_

lol….I’m afraid there’s only one set of flat earthers here Brad. Flat Earthers refuse the science. That’s you my friend ;o)

_”I used to think you were a balanced parent who still had an open mind to the possibility that vaccines changed your daughter into a child labeled autistic. I no longer do. This blog has served to cement your views and surround you with the extreme minority of the people in the world who actually believe autism shouldn’t be treated.”_

Uh-huh – if that makes you feel happy Brad, you can believe that :o)

_”It’s a beautiful thing, we can’t both be right. One of us is dead wrong. While you prematurely declare the thimerosal-autism hypothesis to be dead (maybe if I say it, it will become true…),”_

Thats an interesting point actually. Scientifically, its never really got off the ground at all. Epidemiologically, using your own cited figures (CDDS) and Kirby’s time frame (2007) you’re also pretty much dead in the water. Legally – well, I’m sure you read my stale blog entry on the subject. I notice you tend to re-appear every time you’ve taken a battering somewhere just to give yourself a little ego pop.

_”we keep getting emails of recovered children, with their diagnosis removed, who are headed off to lead normal lives. I really wish Megan was one of those kids, and I think one day her daddy will wake up and realize that this blog is good for one thing: a case study in the power of denial and foolishness.”_

But there’s never anything to show for it is there Brad? Goodness me – it was a _long_ time ago now that you promised the whole issue would be proven in ‘a few months’ – never happened. And where are all these recovered kids Brad? Which science paper is their total recovery from autism using chelation and solely chelation documented?

_”You pick on Erik because you are scared to death he might be right. If you want to see how immature your side is, just read the predictable comments that will follow my post.”_

There are many people on your side who I think have merit as both people and in what they say. Extremists such as yourself and Erik do not fit in that definition. I readily admit there is a possibility you might be right. I really, really doubt it but you might be. I don’t find that scary at all. Why would I?

Conversely, you oversee an organisation that is becoming a laughing stock. Your rigid insistence in seeing mercury as _the_ cause is amusing, naive and futile. It helps no one. Certainly not autistic people.

_”Your blog is getting stale”_

Whereas your blog seems to have become a spammers haven. Tut-tut Brad.

But, as you expressed concern – no need to worry about my blog. Readers continue to increase on a weekly basis and now the likes of Sue M have stopped posting, I no longer have to worry about pointlessness. You can stick around if you want Brad. You’re quite cute in your ‘not quite house trained puppy dog’ enthusiasm :o)

17. Sandy July 19, 2006 at 17:14 #

Speaking of Srinath, see this thread on the Autism Web forum regarding his understanding of genetics. I’ll let it speak for itself.Sandy

18. Ms Clark July 19, 2006 at 21:10 #

What happened to your blog Mr. JB Handley? Did you give up on the idea of supporting some kind of vast survey to find the unvaxed kids who are totally not autistic?

I want to know why Fairytale autism media, Erik’s site, doesn’t have the video of you on the Bay Area news show telling everyone how your son was made autistic by thimerosal only and how you have this great cure, TDDMPS that is absolutely guarranteed to make kids normal by chelating them in 1 year, 2 at the max.

Is your son totally normal now? How’s that nasal B12 thing going? Did you stop doing TDDMPS when you figured it wasn’t actually doing a thing for your child?

Did you ever figure out how boguse DDI lab reports are? Those are the ones you wave at the camera at claim are proof of your son being poisoned blah blah on another tv news story or two.

Come on Erik, put Mr. JB Handley’s videos on your site. Please?

19. LM July 19, 2006 at 21:55 #

Kev, I post on autismweb and would like to apologize, as I did not see the posts you mentioned above regarding Srinath when they were originally posted. I am absolutely HORRIFIED! The moderator had deleted them before I (and a number of other parents) had a chance to see just how heated things had become. I enjoy a healthy debate, and Srinath, who would never read an opposing link or study to save his life, was always an easy mark. In discussing his ban, I posted that while I was not his biggest fan, I did not think he was the type of person who historically acted out in such a way – my comments were based on what was said well before things got very ugly and the thread (along with several others) deleted. Obviously I was wrong. Those coments are truly awful and disgusting and I’m sure most parents in this community, Biomed or not, would certainly agree.

LM

20. Kev July 19, 2006 at 23:07 #

LM – I appreciate you taking the trouble to mention that, thank you.

I agree with you that a belief in Biomed is like a diagnosis of autism – its a spectrum. It could easily be argued that I am a Biomed parent. We use biomedical treatments on Megan – she has a steroid inhaler for when her asthma is very bad. She takes vitamin supplements. A few other things.

However, at the other end of that spectrum are people such as srinath, Erik, John Best Jr etc. There is a real danger in what they are doing. Both to their own kids on a physical level and – as we can see – their attitudes to others who share their children’s diagnosis.

21. blasphemy July 20, 2006 at 17:32 #

deleted off topic nonsense – KL

22. Kassiane July 20, 2006 at 23:29 #

Srinath was really disgusting (I lurk. I read. Didn’t register, it was clear it had gone south).

I’ve shared correspondence with Kali. She got banned too. Why? For standing up for herself. She also states that the moderators/administrators/”spineless fools” not only will not tell her why what he did was ok but her response was not, but they are too cowardly to email her back at ALL. I offered her webspace on the Rettdevil server to put every screenshot she can get her hands on up. Difficult, as it appears they don’t moderate so much as delete to make everything & everyone they don’t want to read go away.

It’s all quite disgusting. She’s a tough girl though, about my age, and they didn’t name her after the destroyer of worlds for nothing. Talk about firey spirit.

And to topic jump…

Mr McCarron, thanks for saying what you mean. I agree. Stand up and SAY IT. You’re becoming quite the advocate for ALL of us on the spectrum. The circumstances still bring me to tears, but your voice is strongly appreciated.

23. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) July 21, 2006 at 17:18 #

Brad: “Erik’s website is a beacon of truth and hope for thousands of parents of autistic children…”

Only for those who have no clue about science and understand even less about autism. Erik needs to learn a lot more about both these issues before he becomes anything like a credible person. The gold standard in science is a peer-reviewed study published in a reputable journal; Erik prefers his interviews. The logic used in science is hypothetico-deductive logic; Erik can’t even manage an induction proof without having to resort to the old ATAMH-link* in the chain to get between bits that don’t link up for him.

* “… and then a miracle happens …”

24. Kay July 25, 2006 at 03:27 #

I do not agree with your signature petition against Autism Speaks. Personally, I am glad to see the cause of autism get such a boost from prominent people who have the money to help us. I did not find the film to be too far off from the truth, unfortunately. Did people want children to be filmed when they were sleeping? I am glad to let others know what is faced by many parents most every day.

25. Kev July 25, 2006 at 06:34 #

Kay – this film was entitled ‘autism every day’. The very least that should be done is to actually make a film that reflects that. As I’ve said elsewhere, nobody is saying that parenting kids with special needs is easy – its not, its damn hard – but this film claims to show the reality and it doesn’t. It shows edited lowlights that were carefully stage managed. As I’ve also said, nothing good can come from dishonesty.

The section featuring the mother who comtemplated murder should never have made it into the film at all.

In short Kay I would have no issues with a film that showed both the good and the bad, but that also explained the context of both and that did not seek to portray murder as understandable or as something deserving of sympathy.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,092 other followers