David Kirby Part III. Another Twist In The Tale

11 Sep

I’m going through a mini-fascination with video online at the moment. I was delighted to unearth that old video of Brad Handley and I was equally delighted to come across a few video’s of David Kirby on Google Video, courtesy of FAIR Autism Media.

David Kirby Contradicts the Militia

Now, its an article of faith amongst the mercury militia that you since 1992 you haven’t been able to leave your house without tripping over a huge amount of autistic people. I remember Erik once saying that ‘everybody knows someone with autism’. So I was struck by the opening of the video interviewing Kirby.

So if I understand the ‘logic’, since 1992 autism has been increasing massively and according to Erik et al you can hardly move for autistic people and yet as of 2002 David Kirby has never met one. Odd. I mean, as he says:

Bit of an odd discrepancy, no?

But hardly worthy of a blog post all to itself. No, the really interesting stuff popped up a bit later.

David Kirby Contradicts David Kirby

In December of last year, I commented on an odd discrepancy in David Kirby’s take on the thiomersal hypothesis.

Briefly, blogger Citizen Cain had an email exchange with David Kirby earlier in 2005:

Understandably, Kirby doesn’t seem interested in mucking around in the data with me too extensively, or in answering my detailed questions. But in an e-mail, he did address the key point, and concede that _“if the total number of 3-5 year olds in the California DDS system has not declined by 2007, that would deal a severe blow to the autism-thimerosal hypothesis.”_ He also conceded that total cases among 3-5 year olds, not changes in the rate of increase is the right measure.

It struck me as odd as I remembered something Kirby had told NYT reporters in an interview with the New York Times also in 2005:

Because autism is usually diagnosed sometime between a child’s third and fourth birthdays and thimerosal was largely removed from childhood vaccines in 2001, the incidence of autism should fall this year.

I was puzzled by the discrepancy of Kirby arbitrarily adding on 2 years <a href="so I mailed him. He replied:

The Times misquoted me. I actually asked for a correction, but did not receive one.

OK, so my next stop was the two NYT reporters. What did they say about the whole thing?

Reporter Gardner Harris said:

Prior to publication, we read the entire passage relating to this matter to Mr. Kirby. He approved it.

And Anahad O’Connor said:

we stand by that quote. David Kirby was interviewed at length, and we verified that quote and additional information with him before the article was published.

I was disappointed at the time and asked David Kirby to clarify. However he refused to comment further and did not reply to any of my emails, nor respond to any blog comments I left either here or on his page at the Huffington Post blog. This is strange behaviour coming from a man who said:

Seems like Kirby only wants a debate when he hasn’t been caught out.

Anyway, this is all old news. And its still not established. Kirby denied he was referring to 2005 the two reporters say he definitely was. Who to believe?

How about David Kirby?

Well, well, well. Correct me if I’m wrong but the year Kirby mentions at the start of that snippet is *2005* is it not? Of course, the details about falling/rising cases have been gone over and over now that its obvious cases are in fact *still* rising. the important thing for me was hearing David Kirby mention 2005. Something he denies he ever said.

What else does Kirby say about California and 2005?

Yes, they do Mr Kirby. Closely enough to see that cases are still rising. Closely enough to see you’ve been caught in a lie. Stop moving the goalposts and then lying about it Mr Kirby.

We’re here Mr Kirby. We always have been.

Ready when you are.

About these ads

8 Responses to “David Kirby Part III. Another Twist In The Tale”

1. The Notorious Illuminata September 11, 2006 at 16:16 #

Oh, poor David. This was his big chance to be the next Rachel Carson, and now he’s just left looking like a pathetic puppet. You could almost feel bad for him, if he weren’t so pompous and disingenuous.

2. mcguffin September 11, 2006 at 17:21 #

Wow, people really do scratch around their nose when they are lying!

3. Ballastexistenz September 11, 2006 at 17:31 #

As Morton Gernsbacher pointed out at AutCom, autism wasn’t a special ed category until 1992 in the USA. And not all states adopted it immediately. So of course it looks like there’s an incredibly increase since then.

4. Joseph September 11, 2006 at 19:09 #

One would think David Kirby might be interested in addressing criticism posted on the autism website/blog with most readers on the web. But no. He prefers to ignore it. That is obviously because he does not have a good answer to the arguments presented, nor is he interested in debating how to correctly interpret CDDS data, nor in retracting his demonstrably flawed suppositions.

5. Ms Clark September 11, 2006 at 21:12 #

I usually wish that Fair Autism Media would take the tapes they have of misinformed people and liars off their website so that more people aren’t misled, but look, it’s an archive of the misinformed people and liars on tape! Without the tape of Will Redwood we might actually think that he’d been “cured” by all the stuff his parents have “treated” him with. We can watch Dr. Geier say with utter confidence that he’s discovered “sheets” of mercury and testosterone that can be found in humans and are found in autistic children! (as opposed to being found *only *in chemistry labs under controlled conditions).

For some reason we don’t see a tape of Erik Nanstiel saying that he realized after talking to some other experts that there are no sheets of testosterone and mercury in any human. No comment on the insurance fraud that seems to hover around the whole Lupron debacle.

Thanks, Kev. Kirby is such a rat. He’s got a thing against the CDC, I think, and is playing out his revenge, either that, or he’s just in it for the money he’s getting from the mercury parents, his so called “small stipend” might be more like a “large stipend”… we’ll see, sooner or later.

6. anonimouse September 11, 2006 at 23:57 #

Dear Mr. Kirby,

There’s been a lot of silence about your book because it’s basically one step up from the self-published nonsense of Robert Mendelsohn and Hilary Butler.

In other words, you’re a lying fraud. At least have the common decency to admit your POV was bought and paid for by the mercury militia.

7. Gabesmom September 12, 2006 at 03:31 #

While the thimerosal was supposedly largely removed from vaccines by 2001, according to the mercury militia all of those doctor’s offices and clinics had old bottles of serum lying around for years which accounts for the fact that so many of us have children who are three years old or younger. It’s hard for me to believe that hospitals with dozens of births daily would still have old Hep B vacs lying about or that high volume county health facilities like the one my son was vaccinated in would not have replenished their supplies in the three years since thimerosal had allegedly been removed. Oh yeah, I forgot the flu vaccine still apparently has mercury as a preservative- whoops Gabriel didn’t have that either. Could have been the RHO-gham shots I had- but wasn’t our friend Dr. Geier recently laughed out of court over the RHO-gam/autism connection “evidence”? These guys have been grasping at straws for so long that the only thing left to hold onto is the inflated egos of their fellow cult members.

8. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) September 12, 2006 at 07:45 #

Gabesmom: “These guys have been grasping at straws for so long that the only thing left to hold onto is the inflated egos of their fellow cult members.”

Can we make that ‘*over*inflated egos’?

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,098 other followers