Is this guy for real?

17 Jul

From Media Matters:

On the July 16 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, Michael Savage claimed that autism is “[a] fraud, a racket.” Savage went on to say, “I’ll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it’s a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out. That’s what autism is. What do you mean they scream and they’re silent? They don’t have a father around to tell them, ‘Don’t act like a moron. You’ll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don’t sit there crying and screaming, idiot.’ ” Savage concluded, “[I]f I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, ‘Don’t behave like a fool.’ The worst thing he said — ‘Don’t behave like a fool. Don’t be anybody’s dummy. Don’t sound like an idiot. Don’t act like a girl. Don’t cry.’ That’s what I was raised with. That’s what you should raise your children with. Stop with the sensitivity training. You’re turning your son into a girl, and you’re turning your nation into a nation of losers and beaten men. That’s why we have the politicians we have.”

SAVAGE: Now, you want me to tell you my opinion on autism, since I’m not talking about autism? A fraud, a racket. For a long while, we were hearing that every minority child had asthma. Why did they sudden — why was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I’ll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], “When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], ‘I don’t know, the dust got me.’ ” See, everyone had asthma from the minority community. That was number one.

Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I’ll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it’s a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out. That’s what autism is.

What do you mean they scream and they’re silent? They don’t have a father around to tell them, “Don’t act like a moron. You’ll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don’t sit there crying and screaming, idiot.”

Autism — everybody has an illness. If I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, “Don’t behave like a fool.” The worst thing he said — “Don’t behave like a fool. Don’t be anybody’s dummy. Don’t sound like an idiot. Don’t act like a girl. Don’t cry.” That’s what I was raised with. That’s what you should raise your children with. Stop with the sensitivity training. You’re turning your son into a girl, and you’re turning your nation into a nation of losers and beaten men. That’s why we have the politicians we have.

So this mans dad said: “Don’t behave like a fool. Don’t be anybody’s dummy. Don’t sound like an idiot” eh?

Doesn’t sound like the advice sunk in.

Oh and next time someone tells you we don’t need more autism awareness, play them this.

About these ads

20 Responses to “Is this guy for real?”

1. Nicky M July 17, 2008 at 22:53 #

Looks like this guy’s dad didn’t call him out often enough. Bet he still calls him a fool. Once a fool, always a fool :) But I’m sure his dad did the best he could with what he had to work with, ie a stupid fool.

Aw bless, he’s really just trying to get himself noticed. “If I jump up and down and be really offensive, I’ll get some publicity” What’s the matter? Your radio show not doing so well?

2. Regan July 17, 2008 at 23:16 #

Mr. Savage’s schtick on the radio has been to be as outrageous and controversial as possible. I’m not surprised by this, given his MO. So is this guy for real–who knows? It’s conservative shock jock talk radio, not NPR. While listening to Mr. Savage helped me while away some late afternoon weeding, it would have been crazy to expect serious education on any issue.

Test: Would it sound like anything you would give serious attention to if he was yelling the same thing while standing on a cardboard box on the street corner?

3. Steve D July 17, 2008 at 23:51 #

I once listened to a Michael Savage monologue in which he postulated that the level of a society’s sophistication was directly proportional to the size of the meatballs it serves in an average dining establishment.

4. CS July 17, 2008 at 23:55 #

It’s typical right wing/Republican radio talk in the US. Rush Limbaugh, another big right wing/Republican stated the actor Michael J. Fox was exaggerating his Parkinson’s. These people believe everyone is out for a government hand out. They couldn’t possibly imagine that the deck is stacked against many people. Their evil. Its also why McCain is against the Community Choice Act, he thinks its welfare for the disabled.

5. Maddy July 18, 2008 at 00:00 #

I read the comments there too. He’s certainly kicked up a storm.

It’s all about ratings dearie, or do I mean rantings?

Cheers

6. Patrick July 18, 2008 at 00:01 #

My dad was slightly less tolerant than this savage’s. In addition to all of the verbal abuse my siblings and I also had to deal with corporal punishment.

/sarcasm warning on
    I would hazard a guess that this savage doesn’t realize that we got our current wonderful non-cynical and totally honest acting and non-rule breaking politicians from mine and the generation before me too, who would also have likely grown up with such humanitarian disciplinary measures.
    /sarcasm off

7. Justthisguy July 18, 2008 at 01:10 #

Dang. I listen to him most nights. I agree with maybe 40% of what he says, and cringe at his crudeness sometimes, and yes when I heard that one, I yelled at the radio.

He does give a disclaimer at the front of each show, though, in which he says “…contains psychological nudity.”

In other words, he just free-associates and lets it flow.

I think he might be amenable to education, just not by calling him on the phone while he’s on the air.

Maybe a cool-headed paper letter?

Hmm, maybe I should do that.

8. kristina July 18, 2008 at 02:15 #

just looking to get ratings is my read of Mr. Savage.

9. Sharon July 18, 2008 at 10:58 #

What an evil man.

The autism stuff is just stupid obviously.

The asthma thing; is racism like this still tolerated on US media?
    My brother in law died of an asthma attack when he was only 22. His parents were immigrants to the UK and both had to work when he was a baby, leaving him with a useless childminder whose house was damp and dirty. But she was the only one they could find willing to mind a “coloured” baby. My husband (lung specialist) reckons that early exposure contributed to his brother’s severe asthma.

10. David N. Andrews M. Ed. (Distinction) July 18, 2008 at 12:58 #

Is he for real?

He may think he is, but he’s not.

Egotism at its most repulsive is what he is.

Can anybody spell Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

11. Margaret Romao Toigo July 18, 2008 at 13:40 #

Nicky M: Aw bless, he’s really just trying to get himself noticed.

I think that’s exactly what is going on — and it’s viral.

I first learned of this controversy on July 10, but Media Matters is reporting on a program that was aired on July 16, so this was very likely not the first time Mr. Savage made these sort of remarks on the air.

This is just the first time such commentary received the attention of Media Matters. So, apparently Mr. Savage — who has been marginalized in the national scene since 2003, when he was fired from MSNBC over homophobic remarks he made on the air — is getting attention from spewing his ignorance of autism and ADHD.

He is the on-air equivalent of an Internet troll. But unlike it is with anonymous message board trolls, attention for on-air personalities (and I am using the term “personalities” loosely) translates into more than lurid satisfaction, for it also brings higher ratings shares, which makes them more money.

I think he, like any troll, deserves to be ignored. Sure, it’s hard, especially when he’s so obnoxious, but to people like that, any kind of attention is good publicity.

12. dkmnow July 18, 2008 at 14:09 #

[enter Bob and Suzanne, screen-left]

Pass me the popcorn.

13. David N. Andrews M. Ed. (Distinction) July 19, 2008 at 11:41 #

dkmnow: Pass me the popcorn.

Can somebody get me a beer while they’re at it… this looks like a good show about to start! ;)

14. AutismNewsBeat July 19, 2008 at 16:14 #

It’s all about ratings, and understanding your audience. Savage caters to people who aren’t comfortable thinking for themselves. He jettisons level headed analysis and free exchange of ideas, which his audience loathes, for a cargo load of raw bigotry. That’s what sells in his target market. He’s a big box buffoon.

15. Sullivan July 19, 2008 at 17:31 #

Sorry ANB:

I first read that as “It’s all about rantings…”

16. Dedj July 19, 2008 at 20:43 #

I must admit, I was exceptionally surprised that he held a university education at all (not that this confers immunity to stupidity) much less that it was in a field related to medicine (again, not that thus confers any knowledge of autism).

If someone with a BSc, two semi-relevant MSc’s and a PhD can make such statements – what chance do the Google U-nic’s have?

Of course, the alternative is that he knows exactly what he’s talking about – but says it anyway.

17. Michell McFarland-McDaniels July 20, 2008 at 01:16 #

As shameful and disgraceful as this guy’s statements are, it is an even bigger shame and disgrace that: 1. a company pays him for spewing his venomous, hateful rants; 2. businesses support his hate-filled tirades with advertising dollars; 3. an audience of millions listens to him! I find Savage’s comments offensive and outrageous. I find those who give him a forum for making those comments even more so.

18. wackyvorlon July 22, 2008 at 09:57 #

Apparently racist, too. There seems to be a certain segment of the population that believes all mental illness can be cured by just hitting the person hard enough. I have my own difficulties, and have encountered with this attitude more than once.

19. wackyvorlon July 22, 2008 at 10:05 #

Now this is interesting – he’s written books on homeopathy, according to wikipedia. That, in my opinion, does not place him among the medically skilled.

1. Savage Language, To What End I Do Not Know - July 18, 2008

[...] More of Savage’s savagery is quoted on Left Brain/Right Brain. [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,097 other followers