Scientology and HBOT

23 Sep

At the start of the month I read a post about HBOT on the OC Register. Standard fare but something about it nagged away at me.

I realised it was the sidebar where the author had listed two purveyors of HBOT in Orange County. One of them was called Whitaker Wellness. The name rang a bell so I found the website and lo and behold, found the connection – Julian Whitaker, MD.

Whitaker Wellness in Costa Mesa was the first hyperbaric oxygen therapy clinic in Orange County to treat a large number of autistic patients.

I first blogged about Whitaker two years ago. It turns out that he has some interesting friends:

[Whitaker]….is with the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, established by the Church of Scientology to expose what the church calls psychiatric violations of human rights and who pushes a variety of CAM treatments including chelation.

My goodness these Scientologists get about.

Julian Whitaker is – like all DAN! docs and Scientologists down on toxins and big on how to get rid of them all but intriguingly the word ‘autism’ is not used once on his website, although a web search for Dr Whitaker and autism reveals lots of results.

I was concerned two years ago at the prospect of Scientologists being so involved with the autism/antivax movement and I still am. I hope Dr Whitaker is totally upfront with all his patients regarding his beliefs.

About these ads

7 Responses to “Scientology and HBOT”

1. Club 166 September 23, 2008 at 15:37 #

When reading Whitaker’s bio on his wellness site, it struck me that he most likely started, but did not finish, his orthopedic surgery residency. This would seem to be confirmed by checking the ABOS (American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons) website, which does not list him, as well as by his Wikipedia entry (note-I don’t consider WP a definitive source).

The way Whitaker relates his experience-talking about being in an orthopedic surgery residency, but never saying he completed it, and never saying he practiced orthopedic surgery-is the best evidence that he never completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery. The fact that he started his “Orthomolecular” medical society just 4 years out of medical school leads me to believe that he never completed ANY residency.

So though Whitaker completed enough training to secure a medical license, he didn’t get enough to claim expertise in any recognized medical specialty.

I always am highly suspicious of anyone that doesn’t complete residency training. Why didn’t they finish?

Joe

2. Brandon Walsh September 24, 2008 at 23:49 #

Why should a doctor be “upfront” with his patients regarding his religion? It’s nobody’s business.

3. Kev September 25, 2008 at 00:40 #

It is if his religion is dictating how to treat disabled children.

4. Devin85Weiss April 7, 2010 at 10:18 #

But Scientology also does many very good. No, That’s not me the next poster-boy for that bunch. I eventually left the group just about three decades ago. What Scientology does do is support boost awareness, particularly spiritual awareness. Personally, that benefit helped me in class, immensely. For an artist friend, it helped him deliver paintings in hours for which could have taken weeks. Prior to Scientology, conceptually I had constantly thought of myself as a spiritual being in a temporary body. With Scientology counseling, that reality became vividly clear. Exterior with full belief. Performing miracles in the magnitude of those performed by Moses. And most interestingly, I discovered I understood Christianity far far more completely than I ever had.

5. Heather April 7, 2010 at 21:22 #

Julian Whitaker is a very able, knowledgeable man.

Do not go by what his “website” might say. Go by the success stories and the people who leave him in a better state than they visited him.

His religion is his business. He helped me, and he has helped my family for years. I find it odd that I randomly find his name on the web being shot down because of his religion – when what he does is help people on a daily basis.

For those of you who frown on a Scientologist, Christian, Muslim, Mormon no matter what they do that is GOOD in their life, I suggest you find a new hobby. After all, your failing at stopping the good people in this world from doing good.

You will be found out soon enough, and punished for your stupid idiocy.

6. will July 31, 2010 at 01:59 #

Dr whittaker is a pioneer and I support his work
    he has saved more people from misery and sickness using his methodology in fact he and dr buttar are pioneers of the future not only help save people from orthodox drug treatments
    he is keeping them from getting sick in the first place by opening the minds of everyone who has the nouse to steer their health away from the corrupt drug companies (who incidentally hate healthy people)and teaches people to take care of their own health instead of bombarding their bodies with foreign substances that only alleviate symptoms well done Dr whittaker any one who opposes your work is either jealous has an interest in seeing people unhealthy or has no inbuilt god given commonsense
    my suggestion to them is watch this space because these types of treatments will be the norm in 30 years time as the medical system and drug companies collapse answer to millions of law suits exposing the corruption and greed that has spread through
    the AMA FDA
    Will bayley Australia

1. Scientology and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy « Temple of Xenu - September 24, 2008

[...] Scientology and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Posted by Temple of Xenu under Uncategorized   Scientology and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy At the start of the month I read a post about HBOT on the OC Register. Standard fare but something [...]