Andrew Wakefield – as succesful an author as researcher

2 Jun

Andrew Wakefields supporters were hoping his new book would be a bestseller. That ain’t going to happen given how much a publishing insider revealed to me how many he has actually sold:

He sold a total of 1017 copies. Top sales 157 copies in NYC. 46 in LA, 43 in Atlanta (perhaps CDC people wanted to see what he said?!), 38 in Boston, 24 in Chicago, 18 in Seatlle and 17 copies in his hometown of Austin

Ouch. It’ll be interesting to see how well the book does as interest in it fades. Or maybe ‘well’ isn’t the right word.

About these ads

8 Responses to “Andrew Wakefield – as succesful an author as researcher”

1. Riayn June 3, 2010 at 05:02 #

Doesn’t look like even the anti-vaxers are buying his book.

2. brian June 3, 2010 at 06:19 #

True believers who buy his book will likely feel that they get their money’s worth, since (if he discounts conflicting evidence) Wakefield can tell what seems to be a credible story. I happen to have been interested for some years in Wakefield’s now-discredited story that measles virus was associated with inflammatory bowel disease including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, because his errors in the earlier studies put him on the track to his lucrative gig as an expert on the purported association of MMR with autism. This article provides some context:

3. Julian Frost June 3, 2010 at 19:25 #

Sorry to ruin everyone’s fun, but an idiot named James Ottar Grundvig a “journalist” at the Epoch Times, gave ‘Callous Disregard’ a positive review. Please join me in complaining to the Epoch Times.

• Sullivan June 3, 2010 at 20:07 #

Julian Frost,

Just a note–the word “Idiot” (as well as moron and imbecile) bug me as they derive from old terms for intellectual disability.

That said, Mr. Grundvig lists himself as

James Ottar Grundvig is a researcher and writer on autism and a father of a 10-year-old boy with Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

I am not sure what his “reseacher” credentials are. He has written about chelation, including an account of the regressions it caused his child.

Perhaps his review will give Mr. Wakefield another 20 or so books sold.

4. mar June 4, 2010 at 03:35 #

I have viewed the Dateline interview with Andrew Wakefield and I honestly believe he is trying to help the children who have Autism. My son has autism and was born perfectly normal until the MMR shot, I believe in vaccines and I also believe that some children who have had the vacinations and were not harmed by them is because their bodies were able to get rid of the heavy metals, where other children who were affected by the vaccines, as I know my son was. James Ottar was very defensive and angry. I feel that the doctors and pharmaceutical companies go hand and hand. No one knows the pain a parent goes through until you have walked in their shoes. So if these doctors are tying to help recover our children I applaud them. I want my son recovered more than anything in this world.

5. Chris June 4, 2010 at 05:25 #

mar, which MMR? Wakefield’s Lancet paper included children who received the vaccine before and/or after 1992, when the UK changed to a different MMR.

Can you be clear on which version of the MMR is the culprit?

Plus, neither version of the MMR ever contained thimerosal nor aluminum. So arguments about metals is not pertinent.

6. Julian Frost April 30, 2012 at 11:44 #

“content marketing” is a spammer.

1. Tweets that mention Autism Blog - Andrew Wakefield – as succesful an author as researcher « Left Brain/Right Brain -- Topsy.com - June 2, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Holford Watch and The Salted Slug, Catherina+ScienceMom. Catherina+ScienceMom said: RT @kevleitch Autism Blog – Andrew Wakefield – as successful an author as researcher « Left Brain/R.. http://bit.ly/crYtff [...]