Jenny McCarthy, autism families are not your shield

7 Jan

Jenny McCarthy just got herself in the news again. She felt harmed by an article on a celebrity news website and threatened them with legal action. Here’s her statement:

Stories circulating online, claiming that I said my son Evan may not have autism after all, are blatantly inaccurate and completely ridiculous. Evan was diagnosed with autism by the Autism Evaluation Clinic at the UCLA Neuropsychiatric Hospital and was confirmed by the State of California (through their Regional Center). The implication that I have changed my position, that my child was not initially diagnosed with autism (and instead may suffer from Landau-Kleffner Syndrome), is both irresponsible and inaccurate. These stories cite a “new” Time Magazine interview with me, which was actually published in 2010, that never contained any such statements by me. Continued misrepresentations, such as these, only serve to open wounds of the many families who are courageously dealing with this disorder. Please know that I am taking every legal measure necessary to set this straight.

Emphasis mine.

As I already noted elsewhere: don’t use my family as your shield.

Your conventions promote absolute nonsense posing as “therapies”. Forcing disabled children to drink bleach solutions or take bleach solution enemas. Shutting down the sex hormone production in disabled children on the mistaken idea that this will help to remove “toxins”. Chelating disabled kids for faux mercury poisoning.

For parents like me who reject your nonsense, you describe us as: “[they] fall into this victim role, and they like it

News stories about you, correct or incorrect, open no wounds for me.

You added that line to paint yourself as a leader of the autism community. You aren’t.

Stand up and distance yourself from your previous stances on vaccines. That would be leadership. Tell your organization and your parent convention that some of these “therapies” are harming children and you won’t promote them. That would be leadership.

Using autism for self promotion, like you are doing here, that’s not leadership.

Matt Carey

About these ads

21 Responses to “Jenny McCarthy, autism families are not your shield”

1. Jake Crosby January 7, 2014 at 06:30 #

On the contrary, Jenny McCarthy is trying to shield families from having to worry about their children’s autism diagnoses being falsely second-guessed by opportunistic and greedy media. That said, don’t expect anyone to rush to your defense if some tabloid blogger decides to question your child’s medical diagnosis to make a buck.

• lilady January 7, 2014 at 06:58 #

P.S. Jake: We’re still waiting for you to explain how you managed to have the castrating/chelating former medical doctor Mark Geier appointed as your mentor for your Masters thesis/culminating experience at GWU-School of Public Health.

• Epi Ren January 7, 2014 at 11:51 #

Who shields autistic children from being chemically castrated by greedy physicians and their non-physician sons? Do you? Do your old mentors at AoA? Do your new mentors, Hooker and Patrick?

No, of course not.

And if you try to say that giving lupron to adolescents is not chemically castrating, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Besides, you have an enormous conflict of interest in defending Jenny, with all the blogging and traveling you did while with AoA and such. You like those, don’t you, Jake, conflicts of interest?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 7, 2014 at 15:16 #

Who protects kids from lupron? That would be Kathleen Seidel and others who exposed the ethical and science lapses of the Geiers.

• Saraquill January 8, 2014 at 00:21 #

Who shields children from having bleach forcibly inserted into their orifices?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 8, 2014 at 18:05 #

I’ve had “tabloid bloggers”, including you, criticize me. And I’ve had people defend me. I don’t know why they would bother. I don’t even read what you or AoA write about me.

Here’s a news article being repeated: “‘Blatantly inaccurate and completely ridiculous': Jenny McCarthy furiously slams rumours her son Evan does not have autism

Point me to where Jenny McCarthy is threatening legal action against the person who wrote that. Or in any way is trying to correct that story or any of the others stating that Jenny McCarthy’s statement says her son currently is autistic.

2. lilady January 7, 2014 at 06:52 #

Quite to the contrary Jake. There was a small item in a celebrity gossip column and Jenny McCarthy blogged about that item on her website and tweeted all over the internet about that item.

Jenny does not speak for Matt Carey’s child and she does not speak for my deceased developmentally disabled child, nor my “other son” who I have substitute legal guardianship for.

I’m not at all worried that some tabloid blogger will violate my child’s memory, because I have protected my child from publicity while he lived and after he died nine years ago.

No run along and tweet Jenny to tell her to stop with the tawdry publicity campaigns that involve her child.

3. Chris Hickie January 7, 2014 at 12:15 #

McCarthy goes where she can stand in a spotlight of narcissistic glory seeking. I believe that is the only guiding principle of her adult existence. Now she’s playing the “caring mom” who is the oh-so-selfless autism advocate (who by the way still sells stupid saunas for autism on AoA). She’s clearly hoping this will strike a note with the target audience of the View. I’m not sure it will. I hope she loses it enough (like she did on Larry King) that she gets tossed from her new gig, even though it means she might start beating the anti-vaccine drum she has stored in her attic for now.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 8, 2014 at 01:00 #

Are we to be surprised that a celebrity knows how to shine the spotlight on herself?

4. reissd January 7, 2014 at 12:55 #

If all Jenny wanted was to call out misinformation about family – legitimate enough, whether or not you agree with the content – there was no need to drag other autism families in. She could have spoken up without that. It’s fair to call her out on what looks like an attempt to use them.

5. reissd January 7, 2014 at 13:13 #

By the way, does anyone know why that old article surfaced now?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 7, 2014 at 17:33 #

By old article, I assume you mean the Time interview. I don’t know how it popped up again and got incorporated into the radar online article.

6. Narad January 7, 2014 at 19:50 #

Funny how this “principle” goes straight out the window when Terry Poling appears at GR propaganda outlet AoA.

• Jake Crosby January 7, 2014 at 20:53 #

Funny indeed; AoA and LBRB have more in common than I ever thought possible…

• reissd January 7, 2014 at 20:55 #

Nothing in common that I see, except using the word autism occasionally.

• Epi Ren January 7, 2014 at 23:52 #

Yeah, in that writing/commenting on either will still not get you appointed to IACC.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 8, 2014 at 17:56 #

Please don’t use the IACC as a taunt here.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 8, 2014 at 00:55 #

We are both disliked by you. Never saw that one coming. Are you as inaccurate on your own as you were when Dan Olmsted was your editor?

7. Mom January 7, 2014 at 23:40 #

Amen

8. lilady January 8, 2014 at 02:42 #

Remember when Jake nominated himself to be the subject of an article in Newsweek? So desperate; looking for approval and publicity to spread the word about his vaccine toxicity….

btw Jake, What was the topic you presented as your culminating experience at GWU and who approved Mark Geier as your mentor?

1. Jenny McCarthy, autism families are not your shield – Left Brain Right Brain | Disability News | Disability Today - January 7, 2014

[…] Jenny McCarthy, autism families are not your shield – Left Brain Right Brain […]