Lupron: An Alternate View

17 Mar

I think it was Prometheus who first used the phrase:

You can’t reason someone out of a belief they haven’t reasoned themselves into.

By which he meant that proponents of the mercury/autism hypothesis were acting out of belief, innuendo and poor science rather than scientifically valid science and that subsequently trying to use reason to dissect their arguments was of limited use.

What I intend to do in the rest of this post is use the tactics, sources and methods commonly used by proponents of the autism/mercury connection to justify their belief systems. before I do I want to assure you that _nothing_ in this post is fabricated.

As we all know, Lupron has been big news recently. The Geiers love it, the mercury/autism crowd are clamouring to use it and the likes of Orac, Kathleen, Autism Diva, Prometheus and myself have all blogged comprehensively against its use.

However, we were using science and reason and as we know, there are people who are impervious to these things. However, when I received a fascinating email from a middle aged American woman who wanted to talk to me about Lupron I read her words with interest. As all proponents of the mercury/autism hypothesis know, anecdotes trump science. With that in mind I read her opening statement.

I am extremely concerned about the use of the drug Lupron being used on autistic children. As a former consumer of this drug, I can tell you firsthand how harmful it is. I understand the desperation people may experience trying to do all they can to heal their conditions, but we must not forget that Lupron is actually chemotherapy, and leaves the same conditions other forms of chemo do on patients. You wouldn’t give chemo to someone who didn’t have cancer, so how Lupron made the jump to all these other patient groups is purely manufactured by Abbott Labs, the parent of TAP who makes Lupron.

Lupron is chemotherapy. Lupron is manufactured by Big Pharma’s TAP – owned by Abbot Labs. A little digging on the Internet turns up lots of bad things about Abbot Labs:

ABBOTT LABS OBESITY DRUG KILLS 32 PEOPLE AND IS PULLED OFF THE MARKET IN ITALY

Source.

Abbott Laboratories, the world’s 12th largest drug company, has been suspended for a minimum of six months from membership in the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI).

Source

If there was ever any reason to squash human beings like a bug, the decision makers at Abbott Labortories have provided a perfect one with their decision to increase the cost of the anti-AIDS drug Norvir by 500% (from $1500 to $7800 per year).

Source.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg. My anonymous emailer continued….

Any child already harmed by vaccinations does not deserve a second pharmaceutical insult, which is what Lupron will
do. TAP/Abbott is a filthy company, and thinks nothing about the harm they do to patients. It was just published how 800 people have died from another drug they make.

Pretty convincing stuff, I think you’ll agree. Its obvious that Lupron is manufactured by the same sort of bottom-feeding evil scum Big Pharma types that inject autism-causing thiomersal into healthy babies. My anonymous emailer continued:

It just horrorfied me to read about these kids being encouraged to take this drug. Do you know, there was a National Lupron Victims Network with over 2 million hits that suddenly just disappeared off the net? The data is on Way Back Machine or Archive.org under “lupronvictims.com”. We have Abbott employees who follow us around the internet trying to discredit us. It’s like science fiction.

So I checked it out – the domain ‘lupronvictims.com’ was registered in August of 1999 and is hosted by Forest a Seattle company – the same city that the domain registrant specified. I’ve sent an email to the admin contact at Forest to enquire about why the site vanished in early 2005 but have thus far recieved no reply.

As proponents of the Simpsonwood conspiracy will readily recognise, this reeks of corruption and Big Pharma meddling.

The site is indeed archived on the WayBack Machine but fascinatingly, even though the Way Back Machine continued to archive up until March 2005, one has to go back to late 2003 to find actual archived content. the most complete archive is the first one from 1999.

And still my anonymous emailer had more to say:

Whether this happens to all patients I don’t know, but I do know there are many, many people living in hell from using it. Some of us have contracted terrible deseases from having our immune system compromised, and we all battle many diseases: CFS, Fibromyalgia, EBV, arthritus, severe memory problems, clinical depression, liver problems, high cholesterol, trabecular bone loss creating disc herniation and osteoporosis, etc.

She also mentioned the name ‘Lynne Millican':

In 1999 I went public in the Boston Herald with my story trying to prevent more poisonings. One person, Lynne Millican, has testified before the senate. We have fought and fought to bring awareness to no avail.

A quick search reveals some impressive sources:

When we first met Lynne Millican in January, when this series on Lupron was launched, we learned that she still suffers a range of serious ailments more than a decade after injections of the drug, Lupron, for treatment of endometriosis. Millican, a registered nurse and paralegal, believes her problems are associated with Lupron. Millican’s numerous symptoms have included the development of a noncancerous tumor, breast cysts, cardiac arrythmias, pain, dizziness, swelling and fatigue. She is one of many women treated for endometriosis who have complained over the years about these and other lingering symptoms they believe are related to Lupron. Other symptoms include depression and confusion, bone pain, vision loss, high blood pressure, and nausea.

Red Flags Weekly

“There are thousands in the United States who say they have been victimized by this drug,” Millican said, emphasizing that symptoms can be severe, such as tremors, seizures and memory loss. “Many women I know say their symptoms didn’t stop when they stopped taking the drug.”

Mercola

Proof indeed. My anonymous emailer closed with the following:

They just got bagged doing the same dirty tricks in England that they were levied the largest fine in US History for doing
here. They have so much money they just pay everyone off. Get the word out. Prevent more poisonings because the FDA does not care.

I think supporters of the thiomeral/autism connection will testify to the truth of that. The FDA are in the pocket of Abbot Labs, Big Pharma Agents of the Apocolypse.

Truly, its stupid to put Lupron into kids. When their bodies start to break down, we can all march on Washington – the placards will read ‘It was the Lupron, stupid’.

No need for science. No need for investigation. As a regualr commenter here says ‘Because its obvious…’

About these ads

109 Responses to “Lupron: An Alternate View”

1. Kev March 24, 2006 at 16:44 #

Do you have evidence that states its _not_ safe to inject babies with thiomersal? Or, more pertinently that it causes autism? No? Then stop with the appeals to emotion.

I’m talking over the Danish studies with KJ at the moment. I can see why they’re not that widely regarded.

2. Sue M. March 24, 2006 at 17:46 #

Kev wrote:

“I’m talking over the Danish studies with KJ at the moment. I can see why they’re not that widely regarded”.

– No offense, Kev, but just now you are getting that?

Sue M.

3. Prometheus March 25, 2006 at 08:24 #

“…daughter of NBC/Universal President Bob Wright and Suzanne Wright, founders of the new autism research charity “Autism Speaks”

to the mercury-causes-autism movement is somehow of scientific significance. Did I miss something?

One of the delightful thing about opinions is that anyone – from Nobel Laureate to village sot – can form one. And one of the puzzling peculiarities of current American culture (and something that is perhaps also true of our friends across the pond) is the pervasive belief that simply because one can form an opinion, that it has meaning and validity. As we all know, nothing could be further from the truth.

Katie Wright may well believe that thimerosal caused her son’s autism. However, she brings no data to the table – just her uninformed opinion. And, regretable though it may be, even the opinions of the rich and famous are not the equivalent of data (see: Tom Cruise and psychotropic medications).

What Katie Wright may be bringing to the table is more media distraction and more money to throw down the bottomless pit that research into the mercury-autism connection has become. But, better her parent’s money than my tax dollars, so I may learn to live with it.

The only possible downside to this development is that someone will take this bounty of bucks and do some glitzy baloney “study” (like the Holmes et al monstrosity) that will require an outlay of precious research time and money to refute. However, if legitimate research is done, I’m all for it.

That said, it seems increasingly unlikely that any data (or even stone tablets inscribed by the hand of God) will ever convince the likes of Sue M that autism is not mercury poisoning. That’s the beauty of delusion – anything that threatens your world view is simply part of the vast conspiracy of deception.

On the other hand, if legitimate research can demonstrate a connection between mercury and autism, I’m perfectly willing to go that direction. I’m not married to the idea that mercury doesn’t cause autism – heck, we’re not even going “steady”. But first, someone is going to have to show some real data that supports the connection.

So far, all I’ve seen are studies (most of them pretty poor ones) that support the hypothesis that there might (somewhere, someday) be a hypothesis for how mercury might cause autism. Pretty thin stuff to base the kind of posturing and invective that Sue and and others of his/her/its ilk throw down each and every day. As I’ve said before, I’m willing to be convinced – heck, I want to be convinced (it would make autism so much easier to prevent, for one thing), but they’re not giving me enough to work with.

Sue, surely you can do better than this? Show me the connection!

Prometheus

4. Jannalou March 25, 2006 at 08:35 #

Nonono, you got that wrong. It’s “see: Tom Cruise and his NEED for psychotropic medications.” (I personally think that the man has ADHD himself, which is why he’s so completely bone-headed about things. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, as they say…)

In one of my psych classes, we were informed that it’s often very dangerous to try and change someone’s delusions beccause they’re typically so deeply ingrained that they aren’t something you can separate from the person. Of course, it’s necessary to try to modify a delusion if it is likely to cause harm or distress in some way.

5. Sue M. March 25, 2006 at 15:14 #

Prometheus wrote:

“OK, I’m clearly not getting the whole picture here. Sue M feels that the addition of Katie Wright, described as

to the mercury-causes-autism movement is somehow of scientific significance. Did I miss something”?

– Yes, Prometheus you did miss something. You must have missed my post about why I thought that Katie Wright speaking out was a big deal (albeit irrelevant for now). It didn’t have anything to do with the “scientific significance” that she brought. Re-read my post.

Prometheus wrote:

“That said, it seems increasingly unlikely that any data (or even stone tablets inscribed by the hand of God) will ever convince the likes of Sue M that autism is not mercury poisoning”.

– It would truly be refreshing if people on this blog would not twist words. While there are some that believe that autism is no more than mercury poisoning, I don’t. I DO believe that thimerosal likely plays a role in developing autism. Keep twisting those words, Prometheus, it really helps your case.

Sue M.

6. Kev March 25, 2006 at 15:21 #

_”No offense, Kev, but just now you are getting that?”_

No offence Sue but ‘nope’. Honestly, I really wish people would stop twisting my words.

I have asked you at least three times in the past what _you_ thought the problem was with these studies and you shirked an asnwer each time. This wasn’t because I didn’t know what the official SafeMinds interpretation was but because I wanted to see what you would say.

7. Sue M. March 25, 2006 at 20:16 #

Kev wrote:

“I have asked you at least three times in the past what you thought the problem was with these studies and you shirked an asnwer each time”.

– There was too much wrong with them to concisely spell it out for you. Too much time would have been wasted. I am happy that you are finally getting that though.

Sue M.

8. Kev March 25, 2006 at 20:34 #

_”There was too much wrong with them to concisely spell it out for you. Too much time would have been wasted.”_

I bet that was what Roy Kerry said to Tariqu’s mum and dad. Its a bullshit rationalisation to cover for the fact that you don’t know. It was enough for you to know that the paper existed right? You didn’t actually ‘waste time’ reading it, right?

_”I am happy that you are finally getting that though.”_

You know for someone who moans about others twisting your words it seems to be a habit you indulge in regularly my little Queen of the Double Standards.

9. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) April 1, 2006 at 12:19 #

SueM: “There was too much wrong with them to concisely spell it out for you.”

And then Kev said… “It was enough for you to know that the paper existed right? You didn’t actually ‘waste time’ reading it, right?”

I’m just thinking of when SueM said to me: “For you to talk about something of which you have no clue does not impress…” even though she does this herself all the time….

One cannot but agree with Kev when he calls her “(his) little Queen of the Double Standards”…

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,151 other followers