An autism reality show…run by Andrew Wakefield?

15 Feb

There is a TV reality show being shopped around right now focused on autism. The team behind this project includes Andrew Wakefield and Polly Tommey. They have an enterprise called the “autism media channel” which has been making YouTube videos for some time. But they have a promo for their “Autism Team” program which appears to be the basis for their reality show.

Where Mr. Wakefield failed to accomplish with science, where he failed to accomplish with books, he is now attempting to accomplish with TV: create the image that his ideas of autistic enterocolitis is a real entity and that he and his friends (such as Arthur Krigsman) are the source of hope for the autism community. Like many reality shows, it appears to be a commercial.

There is a blog post on the Autism Media Channel website, Guest Post by Autism Mother Diane-Cecilia Graham, which begins:

Did you know someone stole my children? He took them away from me and never intended to give them back but I am fighting him. I used all my skills and abilities to learn what I could about him. In battles knowing your enemy is your best defence. He is a mystery, his place of birth is unknown, his future is unpredictable, no one knows how far he can go and he snatches every child in a unique way and holds them captive for an indeterminable amount of time. He comes when you do not see him coming.

Very reminiscent of the “I am autism” video that Autism Speaks put out a few years back, to much criticism. Take autism and personify it as a monster, stealing children.

The framing is all too familiar: create an atmosphere of doom and gloom, plus fear, then bring in the heroes to save the day. The nice thing about TV is that there is no peer review. Editing for effect is expected. Facts are supposed to take backseat to a good story.

I didn’t consider this a viable project. But, Andrew Wakefield has been spotted at a convention for reality TV people recently. And he has the support of a husband/wife film maker/producer team who have a studio in Austin, his home town.

We are a community with great needs. There is no denying that the needs of autistics are often times very great. But I don’t see how a failed researcher, failed author turned TV reality show producer is on the path to a better future for this community. Especially when the failed researcher is one whose lost his medical license for multiple counts of unethical behavior.

Andrew Wakefield may have hit on something: being a business guy for TV or movies. He could probably sell a studio on the sequel to Plan 9 from Outer Space. But the thought of him creating a reality TV show in his image is frankly frightening.

By Matt Carey

Note:edited to correct spelling of Ms. Tommey’s name

About these ads

42 Responses to “An autism reality show…run by Andrew Wakefield?”

1. Brian Morgan February 15, 2013 at 23:43 #

What’s the situation with the libel action? Does anyone know?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 15, 2013 at 23:56 #

I have not heard anything. But it looks like Mr. Wakefield filed a couple briefs on January 4th:

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 16, 2013 at 00:04 #

Looks like the BMJ team applied for more time to file briefs. http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Case.aspx?cn=03-12-00576-CV They are arguing that the attorneys have other cases and one has been recently assigned to teaching a class so they need more time. Looks like the motion was unopposed.

And it was granted
        They have until March 4 to file briefs.

So, the BMJ team won’t have briefs in until March 4, and nothing will happen until those are in. This will take months.

• Patrick McGean April 21, 2014 at 02:07 #

What about the children, what about the moms, screw the courts this is a discussion of mother hood interruptus, autistic children can not access their right brain.
      If you have an autistic child consider adding organic sulfur to your diet and that of your child, pay attention to the eye contact even if you did not nurse. No harm has been reported but 22 children are back.
      What does that mean for a mother?
      Got sulfur?

• Chris April 21, 2014 at 02:40 #

“If you have an autistic child consider adding organic sulfur to your diet ”

Citation needed. Especially since the “evil” thimerosal does contain a wee dash of sulfur.

And yes, our lives are interrupted. This also includes fathers. Though in our case it involved the child getting seizures from a now vaccine preventable disease, which according to the pediatric neurologist may or may not be the cause of his speech disorder and other social impairments.

2. krissy February 15, 2013 at 23:54 #

Autism Mother’s rhetoric does so much harm to the community. For years people with neurological differences and mental illness have been branded “the devil.” Look at what she’s saying- its thinly veiled religious dogma attacking autistic people. I’ve experienced it myself and its terrible.

3. Anna the Flutist February 15, 2013 at 23:58 #

Autism is a controversial blessing. God gives it only to very special people. He creates places the person on the end of the spectrum where they belong and makes sure no one wanders ino the Void of Normality, where most people are. Some normals try to pull their children into the Void, but nothing works, not GF/CF, ABA, bleach enemas, or even brain surgery. They look at those on the spectrum and say, “Their voice was robbed by some mysterious force. What a cruel world they live in.” I look at the Void of Normality and say, “Their voice was robbed by trends, lust, betrayal, and greed. What a cruel world they live in.” 1 in 88 wants you to leave them on the spectrum lest they befall the same fate as normals!

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 16, 2013 at 00:38 #

First, it is worth stressing in these discussions that there are no people who would claim that medical issues such as bowel disease should go untreated. Either in autistics or in non-autistics.

Second, one can’t say “1 in 88 wants you to leave them on the spectrum …” there are autistics who would chose to be non-autistic were that a possibility.

• Anna the Flutist February 16, 2013 at 01:13 #

I’m saying that this is how I feel and I know that people vary and they should.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 16, 2013 at 01:35 #

Anna,

I know–and I appreciate very much you expressing your views here.

All too often these discussions get framed by critics as “people don’t want autistics to get any treatment for anything” or, “people are trying to speak for everyone”.

I won’t be faced with a choice between being autistic or not. It may never be a real choice. But if that day comes, I would hope that it would be a true choice in that a person would be welcomed and valued independent of the choice made.

• Lara Lohne February 16, 2013 at 03:45 #

I don’t know if I should waste my time watching this clip or not, but if I do I have to wait until my little one is in bed. Anything said about autism from Old Andy and his cronies can’t be something I want my son to hear.

I wanted to touch on something, slightly OT but as it was mentioned I am taking the chance to intrude. I have had this thought for a while now and have been wanting to bring it up, but never seemed to find an opportunity to do so; the bowel issues that are common in autistics.

My son has not had issues with his bowels, until a recent event that may have slightly traumatized him physically. Basically, being in afternoon kindergarten, he has plenty of time between waking and going to school to void if he needs to. He is still in diapers, though when he’s wearing pants, he has amazing bladder and bowel control. If he is wearing pants, any kind of pants, he will not void, period. When the morning and afternoon kinders went on a field trip a few weeks ago, he had to get up early. He wore his Dash jammies to bed, including jammie pants. And between waking and getting dressed for school had not had time to void. His diaper was dry, but I changed him anyway. He was happy and fine the entire time they were on the field trip. They went to a pet store, who wouldn’t be? But after they came back to school and it was time to board the bus to come home he had a meltdown. They calmed him enough to get him alternate transportation home, but as soon as he had to walk or move he was crying again, and when they brought him upstairs, I could tell it was a pain cry. I was able to get him to tell me the pain was in his tummy, I assumed REALLY full bladder and commenced stripping him out of his clothes and down to his diaper. That was the fullest diaper in history I think. But for the rest of the day he had severe diarrhea and all the rest of the week, while not as severe, it was still much looser then normal for him. I can’t help but wonder, then, if much of the bowel issues autistics have, rather then being associated with a diet issue, are physical, or even emotional stress causing a physical manifestation. Thoughts on that?

• dingo199 February 18, 2013 at 21:02 #

Surely “flautist” and not “flutist”?

4. Jo February 16, 2013 at 01:29 #

Anna, one in 88 might wish to be left alone, and that’s fine. That’s not what you originally said, however. Sullivan’s point is well spoken. Not everyone has the same desires or wishes when it comes to their autism, and it is a disservice when others impose theirs onto everyone. It is nearly as bad as those that claim their child was ‘stolen’.

• Lawrence February 16, 2013 at 02:01 #

Any and all children are a blessing….to think otherwise is monstrous.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 16, 2013 at 02:08 #

All people are equally valuable and deserving of respect. Autism does not change that.

5. Sharon February 16, 2013 at 02:33 #

This is horrifying. Hopefully like everything else Wakefield touches it turns to shit.

6. futuredave5 February 16, 2013 at 10:33 #

There are a couple of open questions here that are not evident. I haven’t watched any of the videos for more than a few seconds, so maybe I am being unfair. But Ulcerative Colitis is a real condition, and there are strong indications that it is more common in autism.

It seems obvious to me that a child with a painful IBD is going to respond to therapy more poorly than a child without IBD. So if someone spends his time and effort fighting IBD, my first reaction is “good for them”.

It seems unfair to pre-judge all of someone’s future efforts based on their past. If Wakefield helps even one child recover from IBD, then congrats.

If he is still trying blame IBD on the MMR vaccine, then I suspect it will doom the project. Current medical science, I think, is that IBD is usually a combination of genetics, immune system response, and diet.

I am not wild about the fear-mongering, but that is what sells TV shows. If you need to have a TV show to help people, then knock yourself out. I can’t imagine that the average person would want to watch, but I said the same thing about “Honey Boo Boo.”

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 16, 2013 at 14:53 #

Ulcerative colitis is a real condition. Autistic Enterocolitis is not.

Andrew Wakefield does not and has not had clinical responsibility for autistic children. He has made a number of them undergo invasive procedures which were not clinically indicated. One child at the Royal Free ended up with a perforated bowel fro,m the scoping.

No one disputes that medical conditions should be diagnosed and treated. I wouldn’t let me kid near Mr. Wakefield’s team. Past performance may not 100% predict future actions, but I’ll pick people whose previous actions are ethical and accurate.

7. Roger Kulp February 16, 2013 at 15:14 #

People like Anna here have never experienced the worst of autism,from the inside,like I have,and have lived to come out of it.I have had a fairly serious autism diagnosis,worse than Asperger’s,but not quite classic Kanner autism.I used to head bang,just like Mitch here,at 0:05 in the video does.I used to slip into episodes of temporary dementia,and wander.This started when I was three years old,about the time I was first able to walk.Yes I have been hit by cars and injured a couple of such times.I know in my case,all these “behaviours” were triggered by seizures deep inside the brain.You could feel a surge of electricity in your head,and something snap in your head.Then you would “fade out of the world”,but not lose conciousness.I was barely aware of what I was doing,and certainly not able to control it without treatment.I was also temporararily unable to talk during these episodes.While there are no doubt many causes for this,I’m sure the mechanism is similar for a lot of other people who do this.

I learned in my case,this is due to cerebral folate deficiency syndrome,a diagnosis confirmed both by autoantibody testing,and by one of the few experts in this disease.I have a lot of lifelong medical issues.The doctor I have begun to see,believes I may have mitochondrial disease,and have had problems with fever causing regressions well into adulthood.This specialist told me that mito combined with GI disease is why I have no adult muscles.I do have childhood onset celiac,but there are other GI problems not addressed by diet.No cause has been found.I wonder if I do not have a mitochondrial enteropathy.I will be starting a workup for mito soon.

Three and a half years on high dose leucovorin,have pretty much done away with everything that gave me an autism diagnosis.Were it not for this miracle drug,I would have ended up in a group home,or residential treatment center when my mother died last year,

In spite of what so many like Anna here claim,doing away with the “autism” does not change who you are as a person.It takes everything good you have,and allows you to use it to its fullest potential.It is incredibly liberating,and opens up a whole new wonderful world.I can see parallels to a deaf person who can suddenly hear.I say tis because of all the parallels that have been drawn to “deaf and autistic cultures”.Uh huh.tell the families in this video about “autistic culture”.As to if this is “autism” or not,if it walks like a duck…

The whole autism vs “features of autism” thing,is something society doesn’t seem ready to have an intelligent dialog on yet.

This is a newly discovered syndrome.It fits the theory of “hits on multiple genes” as a cause of some types of autism.So far for me,there have been something like six or seven genes involved,and we are not done yet.But it is genetic or inherited,and there are family histories of all sorts of similar conditions in these cases to back this up.

Science marches on.whether or not the antivaxers,or the neurodiversity types like it or not.There will be more cause like this found for autism in the future,some will be treatable like CFDS.People will choose these options,and neurodiversity needs to deal with it.

8. Alex February 17, 2013 at 05:01 #

No need to publish this comment: the spelling of Polly Tommey’s last name needs to be fixed.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 17, 2013 at 05:14 #

Thanks.

9. Mom of a Child with Autism and GI Disease February 18, 2013 at 20:39 #

I am appalled at the ignorant comments here. How many of you have a severely autistic child with chronic, dehabilitating GI disease? How many of you have been told your child is screaming because he has autism (as if I, who live with my child 24 hours a day, can’t tell when he’s in severe pain)? How many pediatric gastroenterologists have you seen that have said, “Oh, your child is just constipated?” How many of you have cried yourself to sleep every night for month’s on end because no doctor wants to touch your child with autism, GI disease, and severe pain? How many of you have had a child who could not tolerate food–any food at all–for 8 YEARS? Because when you have lived through all of this, like I have, then I’ll start listening to your ignorant comments. The doctor in this film LITERALLY saved my child’s LIFE. So you can belittle Andrew Wakefield and his associates all you want, but I invite you to live in my house for 24 hours and then see what tune you are signing.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 18, 2013 at 20:56 #

I am glad you were able to find some relief for your child’s GI symptoms. Could I ask a few questions?

Are you saying that Andrew Wakefield treated your child? I ask because he is not licensed to practice medicine in the US and has not held a position with clinical responsibilities in the UK in at least 20 years, if ever. Are you saying that he created a GI protocol specific to autism? If so, would you mind sharing what that is? The narratives I’ve read from people at the Royal Free and Thoughful House were based on treatments primarily focused on standard protocols for GI inflammation. That plus restrictive diets (which are fairly common within the autism community) and B12, which was suggested to him by autism parents, as I recall. B12 hasn’t really been shown to be effective either.

Andrew Wakefield is a man whose actions have been shown to be unethical. That isn’t ignorance, that is the finding of the GMC.

Even if Andrew Wakefield were local and licensed to practice, I would pay more and drive or fly to have my family served by someone else. I don’t consider his actions ethical. What I have seen of his professsional work–his research–was substandard at best, fraudulent at worst. The person who has belittled Andrew Wakefield the most is Andrew Wakefield. It is his actions which have damaged his reputation.

• GG February 18, 2013 at 21:03 #

If this doctor did anything at all with regard to your child or any child that was not his own, then he should be arrested and kicked out of the country. Andrew Wakefield is not a pediatrician and, as the hearings in London found, had never even had a patient in his entire career. So if he saved your child’s life, it must be some kind of miracle.

Frankly, I for one am sick of hearing statements of this kind from you. Having an autistic child isnt a license to lie and abuse other people, or to make fraudulent claims of vaccine damage.

Is it at all surprising that pediatric gastroenterologists tell you that a child is constipated when motility issues of this kind have been found in all research – including Wakefield’s had it been honestly reported – involving autistic children. It is a very big and difficult question that honest pediatricians discuss, and Wakefield and Krigsman always sought to dodge in their scoping for dollars scams.

No doubt pediatricians told you your child was constipated because he/she was constipated. Has it occurred to you in your bitterness that relieving intractable constipation helps a child. Fantasizing fabulously-named new diseases invented for bogus claims litigation does not even get you sympathy these days.

So buzz off and help your child.

• Mom of a Child with Autism and GI Disease February 18, 2013 at 21:22 #

Dr. Wakefield did not treat my son. I said that the doctor in this film, who is a pediatric gastroenterologist, saved my son. Please, people, READ what is written before you comment. I did not say ANYTHING about vaccines (nor do I think vaccines played a role in my son’s condition).

My child was NOT constipated, as many, many X-rays have proven. Each time I’d see a pediatric GI at my world-renown university hospital, they’d do and say the same thing. They’d say he’s constipated, I’d say he wasn’t. We’d prove it by X-ray. Then they’d say, “Well, gee, I guess you are right. Sorry, I can’t help you then.” It wasn’t until I got help from this doctor, and he scoped my child, that we found that his entire esophagus, stomach, and small bowel were severely ulcerated. He had been vomiting denatured blood during the clean out, but I thought, at the time, it was bile. And before you say the doctor made this up, I had him rescoped locally 2 months later for follow-up, by an entirely regular, uncontroversial pediatric GI doctor near my home. He confirmed the results of the first scope and helped to coordinate care nearer me so I didn’t have to travel so far with my son to receive appropriate treatment. The diagnosis was given as non-specific inflammatory bowel disease (since it didn’t fall squarely into the categories of ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease).

History has shown that it can take up to 40 years for the medical establishment to transition from viewing something as “quackery” to something as “real”. Did you know the Hungarian physician who figured out that hand washing would save the lives of new mothers from childbed fever was criticized, ostracized, and died in a mental institution? Not too long ago, before Celiac’s disease was discovered, doctors believed it was all in the patient’s head. The medical establishment does not have a great track record on accepting new discoveries and diseases. How do you think the people with ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease were treated by the medical profession prior to the discovery of the unique and measurable biomarkers of their disease? And what of the doctor’s that proposed the existence of those diseases? History is not kind to the forerunners of medicine, and it’s the people with these as-yet-to-be-characterized-and-named disorders who suffer.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 18, 2013 at 21:50 #

Sorry for the misunderstanding. As the article is about Andrew Wakefield and not Arthur Krigsman (whom I assume you are referring to as the physician in the film), the mistake was easy to make.

I would also not choose Arthur Krigsman to treat my child. Sorry, but I don’t have respect for his work either. He also has faced issues for ethics violations. I also don’t see anything in his work, other than claiming that Andrew Wakefield’s supposed “Autistic Enterocolitis” is a real entity, as anything revolutionary.

“History has shown that it can take up to 40 years for the medical establishment to transition from viewing something as “quackery” to something as “real”. ”

History has also shown that it can take generations for bad ideas to be forgotten.

Andrew Wakefield and Arthur Krigsman are not “forerunners” of medicine. Andrew Wakefield was a mediocrity as a researcher who promoted other people’s ideas, which were wrong. Your story is that Arthur Krigsman scoped a child with GI complaints. And the care is the same locally as with Krigsman? Exactly how is that being a “forerunner”?

Had Andrew Wakefield and Arthur Krigsman and the rest of their team focused on the important aspects of diagnosing and treating conditions like GI complaints in the developmentally disabled population, they would have actually done something of value. Instead they used this population to promote bad science. Possibly slowing progress in the area.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 18, 2013 at 22:24 #

I appreciate that you have loyalty for this doctor. And I am genuinely pleased that your child is doing better.

The idea that the resistance to Andrew Wakefield and Arthur Krigsman’s ideas is because of the community being too rigid to accept new concepts quickly doesn’t really work. In reality scientists and medical practitioners are eager to get into a new field and use it to help people. If you want to throw out Semmelweiss (for hand washing), I’ll counter with Christiaan Barnard (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank/entries/bmbarn.html). It didn’t take 40 years from his first human heart transplant in 1967 for his ideas to be accepted.

• Mom of a Child with Autism and GI Disease February 18, 2013 at 23:49 #

Here’s the real issue. I didn’t go looking to get involved in a controversy when I sought medical care for my son. I just wanted someone, anyone, who would help him. I saw over 10 pediatric GI’s around my state, most highly recommended, and THEY WOULD NOT HELP MY SON. He’s autistic, he can’t talk, he can’t describe his symptoms, so all they had was my word. My word that he was in pain constantly. And my word was obviously not good enough. If he was normal and could say “I have a horrible burning in my stomach every time I eat,” they would have suspected an ulcer. They would have tried meds, and if that didn’t work, they would have scoped him to learn more. But my son could say nothing at all. And all I could say was that when he ate he was *miserable*… kicking, screaming, aggressive, self-injurious, and on and on. But X-rays showed he wasn’t constipated, so there was “nothing they could do” they claimed. No one would take a risk and scope him. No one would believe me. And then, someone I knew who had a similar kiddo had a friend who had a friend who had seen this doctor. This doctor listened. This doctor actually believed what he was hearing. He didn’t tell us that our kids were “just constipated” and we the parents were imagining things. He saw many, many families with the same story. Children who had GI issues that no other doctor would take seriously. He scoped my child. And with that scope and those results in hand, suddenly the other pediatric GIs, who would not listen to me before, who told me my child was screaming because he was autistic (and not because he was in severe pain), suddenly they had data that he had a real, identifiable, measurable GI disease. Now they were willing to listen. Now they were willing to help. But where the hell were they before? And what about all those other children that are suffering because the medical establishment doesn’t want to believe that non-verbal autistic children are prone to GI disease. I have yet to meet another family who sees this doctor that didn’t go to several of their own pediatric GIs first, only to be brushed off like I was. We families who defend this doctor do so because he gave a damn when no one else did. And he helped our kids. If the other peds GIs had helped my son, I’d have had no reason to see him. And the mere fact that after 8 YEARS of living on feeding tube food, my son can now eat food because he’s now receiving proper treatment, is by no means due to the close-minded doctors that would not believe he was truly ill all those years before I found this doctor. How many more autistic kids have to suffer before mainstream medicine is willing to listen to their caregivers and take their symptoms seriously?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 19, 2013 at 00:22 #

I understand what you are saying. How to effectively provide medical care to developmentally disabled patients–especially those with intellectual disability and/or communication challenges–is one area I am highly focused on.

I would point out to you that this same doctor has a reputation for scoping pretty much all autisticis. So, that is one reason many are not impressed that he occasionally finds kids who actually need it. There was a TV program a few years back. A family went to see this doctor. Travelled thousands of miles. Kid was scoped. Doctor said, “constipation” and prescribed laxitives. Not exacly impressive.

If he occasionally may have done some good is great. It doesn’t excuse the fact that he has had ethical lapses and it is those lapses which make me displeased at the thought of him being presented in some “reality” show as a quality doctor. Again, I would never take any member of my family to him. I’m glad it worked out for you, but that is more an example of the problems with the rest of the medical community that his expertise. As you noted, Krigsman didn’t see anything another doctor would have seen. Here’s a question to ponder: how many GI doctors are overly skeptical of autism parents who bring in their kids because of the junk science the Krigsman/Wakefield team put out? A well known GI doctor is on record as saying that he gets parents coming in asking for their kids to be scoped–when they have no GI symptoms.

I’m glad it worked out for your kid. Doesn’t mean I think Andrew Wakefield should put on what would amount to a weekly commercial for him and others in his crowd.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 19, 2013 at 00:26 #

“…before mainstream medicine is willing to listen to their caregivers and take their symptoms seriously”

What exactly about the diagnosis and treatment is non mainstream?

10. lilady February 19, 2013 at 06:21 #

When my son was alive, I too, focused on getting good care for my multiply-handicapped, medically fragile child who was non-verbal and who had a high tolerance for pain (it was all part of his rare genetic syndrome). He also had “autistic-like” behaviors. Yes, he had a bleeding disorder and some GI bleeds and he would spit up frank blood or “coffee grounds” vomit along with “tarry stools”.

My son was unable to chew food or take thin liquids. His diet, once he was weened from intermittent gavage tube feeding, was pureed along with thickened liquids.

So, “Mom of a Child With Autism”, please don’t assume that others who post here, don’t have your *experience* parenting a child born with developmental delays/disabilities.

I have Dr. Krigman’s website up…and he still refers to his and Wakefield’s bogus diagnosis, “autistic enterocolitis”.

I thought you all might *enjoy* reading the interesting facets of his practice. How unique, he has two offices; one located in New York and the other located…wait for it, folks…in Austin, Texas. Unlike every other doctor I had ever taken my children to, Dr. Krigsman is not associated with (does not “accept”), any medical insurance plan. So…it’s cash or credit card up front for his fee.

• GG February 19, 2013 at 12:00 #

Is this the Arthur Krigsman who was asked by Lennox Hill Hospital doctors, his superiors, if they could review the charts of children he said he was finding to have “autistic enterocolitis”?

Did he say: “They’re over there. Turn the lights off when you’re done”?

Nope. He fled the hospital.

11. Marty M February 20, 2013 at 03:33 #

Maybe you don’t like Wakefield and his views and maybe he lost his license because people disagreed. I didn’t care much for him either because his Austin operation wouldn’t see my son who had lost all bowel control and they wanted money up front. I didn’t have money up front. So that was the way he worked. But at least he put focus on the bowel issues that some people with autism have. So don’t get so mad with him that you forget he was doing good by trying to help solve the problems of real people with autism who need research about why this population also has lots of bowel control issues. This is no false reporting. This is true!

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 20, 2013 at 04:40 #

” Maybe you don’t like Wakefield ”

It’s not about him. I’ve never met him.

” and his views ”

It’s not about his views. It’s about his repeated ethical lapses, his persistence in pushing views which are not scientifically sound and his frequent use of statements which are just not true.

” maybe he lost his license because people disagreed. ”

A vague statement. People “disagreed” that it is ethical to use disabled children for a research project while pretending it was all clinically indicated. People disagreed that it is ethical to make strong statements with major public health impact while hiding data and huge conflicts of interest. Calling these (and more) issues “disagreements” really downplays the serious nature of his infractions.

” But at least he put focus on the bowel issues that some people with autism have. ”

What he did was use the bowel conditions of some of his patients to promote his own agenda over the needs of those individuals and the community at large. Had Andrew Wakefield really championed the needs of autistics with bowel diseases, a lot more work would have been done by now. Instead he made it very difficult for real researchers and clinicians to focus on the needs of this population.

“So don’t get so mad with him”

I am not mad with him. This isn’t personal. I decry his actions and lack of ethics. He was trying to do good for Andrew Wakefield. He was trying to make a lot of money both as a legal consultant and through multiple business ventures. The needs of the community came second. Consider those who had claims based on the ApUrabe strain mumps component of the MMR. Wakefield burried their claims and promoted his own false model. Only to later threaten and finally out the real whistleblower in the story.

We need research into the reality of GI disease and other concerns in the autistic population, not 16 years of trying to use this population to prove Wakefield right.

12. Marty M February 20, 2013 at 03:41 #

Please…you people who are having GI issues with your kids e mail me. I want to get a real show of support so we can get something done to help our individuals such as my son. I am fortunate, I found out about a special machine that can be used at home and cleans out my son’s paralyzed bowels. It pulsates the upper and lower bowel and even relieves impactions. I am in a battle to get this device that brought the health of my son back approvied by Medicare, private insurance and Medicaid. If you want to be on my team then check http://www.piemed.com and see the way this wonderful device works. My son has used what we call the PIE machine for over 15 years. I am just telling you about what it has done for my son who completely lost all bowel control dued to four impactions.
    E mail me mmoyer@satx.rr.com

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) February 20, 2013 at 04:42 #

Don’t do this again. This site is not for you to recruit customers for that company.

13. Rita Jacobs August 4, 2014 at 12:25 #

My oldest child has high functioning autism. She is sixteen and doing very well. The time parents spend working with higher functioning kids really pays off. My child did not have expensive treatments and therapies and she is doing very well. If a child is not higher functioning and doesn’t have the same potential as my daughter, I don’t believe all the therapy in the world can transform them or get them to her level of functioning. I am sure this show won’t talk to families with good outcomes on a budget. I’m sure every older child that makes leaps and grows will be reported as some kind of therapy success story. You won’t show kids that just had supportive families and local small town mental healthcare and public special ed departments and succeeded too. And without the hype.

1. An autism reality show?run by Andrew Wakefield? - February 16, 2013

[...] Read more at Left Brain Right Brain. [...]

2. Reality TV or Glorified Karaoke Competition? [INFOGRAPHIC] « BCmoney MobileTV - February 23, 2013

[...] An autism reality show…run by Andrew Wakefield? [...]

3. Selling you a package of lies about autism | The Poxes Blog - April 7, 2013

[...] reality television show to producers in America. This isn’t exactly news. Sullivan at LB/RB had written about it before, but now there are more details of the quack’s [...]

4. Harpocrates Speaks: Sharyl Attkisson Accuses Critics of Astroturfing - January 2, 2014

[…] Wakefield, also of the AMC, who was working on the documentary before Alex's death as part of a reality TV show. And yet another factor omitted was the connection between Dr. Arthur Krigsman, who reportedly […]

5. Is Andrew Wakefield a fraud and a bully? | Penumbrage - May 3, 2014

[…] alongside Polly Tommey, who followed her hero into exile in the USA, when they tried to sell an autism reality show. The premise was simple. Film autistic children in distress. Take them to Arthur Krigsman to be […]