CSS Reboot – Guest Reviewer

2 May

Well, the CSS Reboot is upon us once again and I thought given the prestige of the occasion, I’d hand over to a guest reviewer to review some of the entries in the Reboot.

Please welcome Guest Reviewer – Johnny Nice-Painter.

Oh hello my fellow artists….how very lovely it is to be here reviewing such a prestigious event as the CSS Reboot amongst all you young people. You may know I’m something of an artist myself, although I have to say I utilise the more conventional approach of a nice canvas and water colours. I daresay that sounds terribly old fashioned.

Anyway, lets move on shall we? Katie has my tea and medication waiting for me and I don’t want to be late…so who’s first Mr Leitch?

Oh ah, young Prabhath from Nidahas…what an exotic looking web page that is! How jolly nice! Did he win? No? Why? Because he didn’t pay to get his design listed on the front page? I don’t understand Mr Leitch – you have to pay?

Oh, only some people can pay – those who can afford it I presume – not those who come from developing countries with other priorities I would surmise…? How very strange. Anyway, which lovely website should I look at next?

Oh, ah Standards Rule…well now thats jolly nice too, what a lot of talented people we have here Mr Leitch!…what’s that? Look at the ‘source code’…whatever for? Ah…I see – using a table for layout purposes – I thought this was a CSS competition? It is? Oh dear. I don’t understand, I’m afraid. Admittedly, an old man like me can’t keep up with the latest gizmo’s and jeejaws but even I know that calling a website ‘Standards Rule’ and rebooting in a CSS competition whilst using a table for layout is a bit…well, its not cricket is it eh?

Shall we just go straight to the CSS Reboot home page Mr Leitch? No? Why not? What do you mean ‘no reason’, that sounds a bit silly – lets just click the link and…..

oh….

….there’s an awful lot of black isn’t there…….

….oh dear…Terry Ng, David Longworth, John Protasiewicz, Bryan Veloso, Doug Gibson…….

black……BLACK!!!!

ah……Christian Montoya….ARRGGHHH Christian Montoya AGAIN!!!! BLACK!!!!

You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins, where shall we sleep tonight Mother? On Father’s grave?

Alex Graul….Jonathon Snook….

They wait for me in the woods…

VEERLE MADE IT GOOD BUT IT MAKES ME SAD!!!

The black…..ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!! I MUST HIDE IN THE WARDROBE OF SUBTLE PLAGARISM DARKNESS!!!

Well…sorry about that. I guess all that black was a bit much for poor Johnny. I know how he feels.

17 Responses to “CSS Reboot – Guest Reviewer”

1. Jim McArthur May 2, 2006 at 19:22 #

Johnny Nice-Painter,

Yes, you are right… we did slam in a couple of bounding tables for layout – but they are being phased out. Had to get up in time for the Reboot. In any case, good catch. Way to keep us honest!

2. Adam May 2, 2006 at 19:44 #

Hmm … way to stay positive and constructive, Kev.

Sites that “won” have never exclusively been on the frontpage of the Reboot. I’d always gone back and forth between name, score and total votes for a few weeks after the Reboot launch. This time I just tried something different.

I could go into how it costs money and time to run something like the Reboot, etc. etc., but I won’t. Because you’re right, I should have thought of the “developing countries” and killed less puppies and not cussed in front of the home-schooled kids. I’m evil and I just need to accept that.

3. Jim McArthur - STANDARDS RULE May 2, 2006 at 20:14 #

Fixed the homepage. One table down – two to go. Thanks for the kick in the pants to get that done!

Jim

4. Kev May 2, 2006 at 20:42 #

_”I’m evil and I just need to accept that.”_

No, you just took something that was a meritocracy and made it sucseptible to money. That’s fine – its your project, you do as you see fit. To me, its not something I think is a good idea and I said so. Such is life.

_”And great job dissing on the work of people who took the time and effort to redesign their websites for nothing other than their own enjoyment. Bravo.”_

Looks like the people I singled out took it in the right way Adam. Except you. Bravo for having the ability to not take yourself to seriously….oh wait….

5. Kev May 2, 2006 at 20:45 #

_”One table down – two to go”_

Good stuff Jim – thanks for having the maturity to take this joke in the spirit it was intended.

6. Anton May 2, 2006 at 21:32 #

Kevin, this is great! I’m with you all the way on this one.

7. luxuryluke May 2, 2006 at 21:49 #

Alas, i failed in my reboot, but now i don’t feel so bad. why is noone getting more than 3 stars? are we really all that bad at design? hmmm.
    Perhaps i should have paid as well. Then again, i’d prolly be askin’ for a refund now anyway.
    Oh well. [sigh]. I did my best to support the reboot effort on my own site, advertising it, and on flickr, but… gah.

8. Benjamin May 2, 2006 at 22:49 #

I agree with you, all these thoughts went through my head too. I have seen some fantastic work on the reboot this year, and like Luke I can’t work out why no-one seems to get more than 3 stars on average. It’s weird.
    This is a great post.

9. Adam May 2, 2006 at 23:46 #

Kev: If you couldn’t still sort by score, vote and name I’d agree with you — the Reboot would no longer be a community site and I’d have sold my soul to the Money Devil. But you CAN sort the reboots, all kinds of meticrocicaly…io…us ways. And even better when you leave and come back the site remembers how you sorted so you don’t have to put yourself through that horrible, greedy experience of the front page full of third-world-free Premium Rebooters ever again if you don’t want.

So, sorry, don’t agree with you. And that actually doesn’t mean I’m immature or take myself too seriously — it just means I defend my work in the same manner in which it was criticised.

Re: voting — Benjamin and luxuryluke, that’s just how the voting works out every year for some reason. This time around we made much stricter rules about revoting, etc., so it’s not a case of anyone stuffing the ballot, it’s just a case of too many people voting sites down. I’m going to look at the numbers when voting’s done and try and find som way to tweak things for the better for the Fall.

10. Federico May 3, 2006 at 02:09 #

About the use and abuse of black, you may call this CSS Assimilation 2006. 🙂

11. joshua May 3, 2006 at 10:22 #

And i thought i was being novel, with black on black. dang.

12. Hanzs Wolfgang May 3, 2006 at 11:41 #

I agree, i was shocked at how much darkness there was on the reboot site.

Oh well

13. Wäde May 3, 2006 at 19:43 #

Hmm, I happen to like the darkness. But then again, I might be a pervert.

14. Pierce May 3, 2006 at 23:21 #

Wow. Controversy, Kevin.

I want you to know that if you ever poke fun at me for any reason, I will come around to your house and speak in very serious sentences at you until you realise that a sense of humour is all well and good in the privacy of your own head, but saying funny things out loud is really not on. You’ve let me down, you’ve let the Internet down, but most of all you’ve let yourself down. This is why you’ll never be A-list.

15. Kev May 4, 2006 at 00:12 #

Consider me sutiably chastened Pierce ;o) – I swear never to have a sense of humour again and will do my best to remain sombre and pompous. Hopefully, this means I will someday become c-list ;o)

16. Alan May 4, 2006 at 13:40 #

Okay… shoot me down, cover me in petrol and then I will come back and make 3 black reboots just for fun!

Seriously, I understand where you are coming from but the same could be said for stupid over sized type that is really badly done… Where is the slating/ picking up of that?

Just curious, I am baffled by the whole reboot thing but it was fun to make an entry and at the end of the day it is my web space, I enjoy it and I if black so happens to end up there then so be it…

Isn’t the web fun 😀

p.s. Nice spell checker

17. Toxie May 5, 2006 at 14:30 #

Anything to start an argument