Education data is the new black

26 Mar

Or, more accurately, Education data is the new CDDS.

Up until this year, David Kirby, Lenny Schafer, Rick Rollens et al said that CDDS data was the gold standard of autism data and because rates were rising during the 90’s according to CDDS data this proved that vaccines caused autism. Then they said this would be proved in 2005 – sorry, 2007 – when it was firmly established thiomersal was pretty much out of all vaccines in the US schedule excepting the voluntary flu jab. Kirby went so far as to say that if the CDDS rates didn’t fall by 2007 then this would be a significant blow to the thiomersal theory.

Guess what? No fall. In fact, there was a continued climb.

Next they all said – CDDS? That stuff is rubbish – California is ‘special’. No, no, no, what _really_ counts is educational data. In fact, just this morning, the latest Schafer Autism Report carried new data that showed how autism rates were still climbing.

But hang on….seeing as we _know_ that the amount of thiomersal in vaccines is essentially nil, and tests show that as early as 2002, over 80% of doctors surgeries reported they carried no thiomersal containing vaccines, how can we possibly carry on with the stupendously idiotic hypothesis that thiomersal in vaccines causes autism?

Feh. Never mind. Thiomersal is out of favour these days. These days its all about Aluminium or whatever other vaccine ingredient people want to wring their hands about.

Anyway, here’s a post I came across on EoH today:

I just found this newsletter from last fall- vaccine rates dropping funding short- sounds good to me. Too bad we are not counting AUtism rates like CA.

and it linked to this PDF which says:.

Alarmingly, our childhood vaccine rates have dropped from the highest in the nation to just below the national average. From 90% of two year olds fully immunized to less than 80%.

The inference is clear, right? If only we could count the number of autistic people in Maine up to and including 2006 I bet we’d see them dropping as the vaccine uptake in Maine dwindled. And hey – this should be an easy drop to find in the state that had the highest vaccine uptake in the nation, right? Oh, if _only_ someone had tracked the autism numbers in Maine!!!

Well, worry no more – the great guys at the Vaccine Autoimmune project have. (IE link only, poor web development ahoy!). Lets take a look shall we?

State 2000-2001 2005-2006 Percentage Increase
Maine 150 311 107

Huh??

Wait now…you mean to tell me that vaccine uptake _fell_ over 10% and yet autism _increased_????

Miraculous – whatever can it mean???

26 Responses to “Education data is the new black”

1. mike stanton March 26, 2007 at 23:03 #

They keep grabbing the short straw, don’t they! I worry about the psychological fallout when parents finally reject the mercury hypothesis and have to face up to the wasted years and unnecessary medical interventions foisted on their children.

2. anonimouse March 27, 2007 at 04:32 #

What’s happened (rather predictably) is that the mercury folks have moved away from trying to argue any epidemiological point at all. They’re just saying that mercury causes autism without proof and hoping that if they say it loud and long enough that people will believe it. Now they’re adding nebulous environmental sources to the mix, knowing that it will be almost impossible to disprove such a link between environmental mercury and autism exists.

The bottom line is they have nothing.

3. Catherina March 27, 2007 at 13:18 #

Quick: send that in to “Private Eye” – LOL, had to laugh at the headline. Have lost my humour about the evasion tactics of the anti-vaccine folk though.

4. guessthegal March 27, 2007 at 14:06 #

Hi, sorry to barge in this way. I thought you’d like to see this amazing publishing deal. I think it will make you happy. I, however do NOT make you happy. Enjoy this news.

John Elder Robison’s memoir of growing up with Asperger’s Syndrome and emerging as a fully-realized adult, with a foreword by Robison’s brother, Augusten Burroughs, to Rachel Klayman at Crown, in a pre-empt, in a major deal, reportedly for $1.1 million (NY Post dollars; confirmed by the author as at least a million), by Christopher Schelling at Ralph M. Vicinanza (world).

5. eohlurker March 27, 2007 at 14:26 #

Did you see Katie Wright’s post on eoh on how much biomedical work she is doing with her kid????? WTF!!!!

6. Kev March 27, 2007 at 15:22 #

Kim – I’d really appreciate it if you could just stick to the one name. Thanks.

Publishing deal – sounds interesting but I’m not sure what it has to do with the subject of this post.

No, I didn’t see any post from Katie Wright. I saw a few posts from people who wished she would say she were doing biomedical work but I saw nothing from Ms Wright herself. Could you post it for us?

7. kim March 27, 2007 at 16:03 #

Hey, I meant to tell you about the book as a good thing without raising a ruckus, thus no name. EOH is your territory though, not mine. Can’t help you there. Cheers! K

8. Ms. Clark March 27, 2007 at 18:03 #

So, was that Kim Stagliano the “fearless voice” who is shopping for a publisher (isn’t her book to be titled, Autism is Murder?). Maybe she’s having a problem with theory of mind and thinks everyone else is keeping track of “publishing deals” as if that were interesting. It’s really not interesting to me, but maybe I don’t represent the typical reader here…

Kim’s recent Huffpoof blog entry on how adorable she was as a child, describing how she could do an imitation of “Fat Albert,” made me think that Kim is *clamoring* to be seen as a precocious child and that she thinks everyone is interested in what she has to say, even though now she doesn’t even have a schtick that would be could rouse the interest of bored kids in the ‘hood.

9. Kev March 27, 2007 at 18:11 #

EoH isn’t your territory Kim? Then why post under the assumed name ‘eohlurker’?

10. kim March 27, 2007 at 19:57 #

Kev, I posted to tell you about a neat book that’s in the works. It’s about a successful person with Autism/Asperger’s. The rest is not my turf, as I said. You don’t have to bitch slap me for goodness sake. Peace. K

11. anonimouse March 27, 2007 at 20:51 #

Kim,

Cry me a river of diarrhea.

Or was that David Kirby?

12. qchan63 March 27, 2007 at 21:16 #

I thought this was maybe too off-topic to post here, but since “guessthegal/eohlurker” kindly has stretched the boundaries of discussion to encompass anything happening in the mass media, thought i’d ask: Did anyone happen to see last night’s episode of “24”? (Perhaps not you, Kevin; i’m guessing the program isn’t on UK TV).

I ask because a key character clearly was meant as autistic, falling into the familiar subcategory of “Hollywood savant.”

The setup is that this character, Brady, who’s maybe 40, lives with his brother, a kindly sort when he’s not selling nuclear secrets to terrorists. (That’s one way to supplement the funding from your local Regional Center.)

We get our first intimation that Brady has autism (though the word is never mentioned) through his Rain Man Lite stim behaviors, as well as the way he insists his brother, Mark, take all the red peppers out of Brady’s dinner.

Turns out Mark is using Brady, who is totally dependent on his brother but has amazing computer abilities, to hack into secured networks. Later, Mark is arrested for failure to adhere to a GFCF diet (or it might have been for the terrorism thing, i’m not sure). It’s made clear Brady is blameless, since he was just following his brother’s instructions.

Brady also is allowed to redeem himself by helping the good guys capture a key terrorist, which is nice.

I have to say that while the portrayal was awfully shallow and stereotyped, it didn’t seem completely off-base or offensive to me. Just wondering if anyone else saw the show and had thoughts thereunto appertaining.

(Sorry so long. Would’ve been quicker for you to just watch the show …)

13. all your poop are belong to us March 27, 2007 at 21:26 #

“Eh, Kirby, Stagliano – all of the psuedointellectual real author/martryr wanna-bes all blend together.”

Are you sure anonimouse? I think Kirby makes some people laugh.

14. clone3g March 27, 2007 at 21:35 #

“Later, Mark is arrested for failure to adhere to a GFCF diet (or it might have been for the terrorism thing, i’m not sure)

I thought the NT brother was whisked off to Dr. Buttar’s office for TD-DMPS chelation therapy to remove the lead.

15. Kev March 27, 2007 at 21:36 #

_”You don’t have to bitch slap me for goodness sake. Peace. K”_

I’m asking you a simple question. I appreciate the comments you left but I don’t understand why you are now stating that somewhere that you clearly do post is ‘not your patch’, or why we are suddenly discussing Katie Wright.

I have now read ‘Katie’s’ post and it seems to me to pose more question than it answers. Maybe you could ask ‘Katie’ why her display name is Katie and yet the Yahoo Profile is an Anne McFarland? Could be Ms Wright is borrowing Ms McFarland’s email acct but its also possible that the EoH posters are getting played.

And whilst we have the pleasure of your presence Kim – any comment on the post? Do you think this illustrates a few issues with autism data? Or Maine’s vaccine reportage? Or the whole vaccine hypothesis?

16. qchan63 March 27, 2007 at 22:12 #

clone3g, you may well be right. It hadn’t occurred to me that all those bullets could lead to some pretty serious heavy-metal poisoning …

17. Kim S is a poopular gal March 28, 2007 at 01:37 #

Buttar can cure anything, wrinkles, cellulite, sagging muscles, cancer even autism. I’m sure he could cure a death, especially a Hollywood death. I think he has a Hollywood “autistic” child. They’re pretty easy to cure with a fake chelator.

Was it Kim or Kirby who wrote a description on Huffpo of their offer to pay scientists who discover a cure for autism ? Sex in a parking lot or something. I forget.

18. Broken Link March 28, 2007 at 02:35 #

Aha. “katie” previously known as annemacfarland has morphed into katiewrightnyc. I think you are right, Kev, and someone is spoofing those jolly EoH’ers.

19. Barbara Fischkin March 28, 2007 at 14:19 #

Kirby and Stagliano are “pseudointellectual real author/martryr wanna-bes?”
    What are you saying they want to be?
    Published writers on autism?
    They already are.
    So here’s some polite critcism from another “pseudointellectual real author/martryr wanna-be?”

David Kirby did some courageous investigative reporting which starts to solve pieces of the puzzle. That’s how the best investigative journalism works.

Kim Stagliano is raising three young girls – that’s hard to do whether they have autism or not – and writing some cogent, edgy, well-read journalism.

If you “shoot” all the writers with whom you disagree we will be living in a totalitarian world.

And in the name of full disclosure I am about to tout MY book – my third, does that make me a wanna-be too? — on the parent site, where I believe it appropriately belongs. Thanks

20. anonimouse March 28, 2007 at 14:41 #

Barbara,

I would not characterize Kirby’s investigative reporting as “brave”. In fact, I would not characterize it as investigative reporting at all. What Kirby did was regurgitate the SafeMinds(tm) talking points while minimizing and many times distorting the opposing point of view. That isn’t surprising considering who Kirby has associated with and/or taken money and services from since the publishing of said book.

Kirby’s book is interesting as a primer on the mercury militia mindset and talking points, but it is NOT investigative journalism and to suggest otherwise is hopelessly naive.

21. Broken Link March 28, 2007 at 14:47 #

Seems David Kirby has been speaking to Katie Wright, and it really was her on EoH.

Autism Speaks: Will Anyone Listen?
    David Kirby Huffington post

Mea culpa.

22. Kev March 28, 2007 at 14:49 #

I also wouldn’t classify Kirby’s book as journalism. Doesn’t journalism have a duty to the truth and to accuracy?

edit: ooh, so it was Katie Wright then? Interesting…

23. Brian Deer March 28, 2007 at 17:54 #

Same old story. Parent reads that vaccines cause autism (Wakefield, the Geiers, Kirby, whoever). Parent remembers common benign postvaccine symptoms (crying, fever, restlessness, sometimes febrile convulsions), which have nothing whatsoever to do with developmental disorders. Parent announces that – yes – they now believe vaccine causes autism.

Then, when you go after Wakefield, the Geiers, Kirby, whoever, they tell you that parents TOLD THEM that the vaccine did it. As in Kirby’s ecstatic piece. Look, see, ha ha!

It’s entirely circular.

The lawyers say the doctors told them. The doctors say the parents told them. The parents say the doctors told them. And journalists say everyone told them.

I talk about some of this (over MMR, not thimerosal, but the way it works is the same) in my updated Wakefield summary at:

24. Club 166 March 28, 2007 at 17:54 #

From the Huffington Post article:
    …To begin with, Autism Speaks is already funding research into environmental causes of autism, including studies like: “Genetic Susceptibility to Mercury-induced Immune Dysfunction in Autism” ($120,000); “Do Environmental Factors Play a Role in Autism? A Test Using Natural Experiments” ($80,000); and “Double Hit Hypothesis of Autism: Genetic Susceptibility and Environmental Exposure to Metals,” ($120,000). …

While I obviously haven’t reviewed the experimental design of these studies, these don’t sound like they are going to be the best conducted studies in the world. “A Test Using Natural Experiments”??? What’s that about? Also, if they are going to be doing any serious genetic testing as part of these experiments, I would think that the studies would be much more costly.

25. Ms. Clark March 28, 2007 at 18:34 #

I wonder who Anne Macfarland was, or whatever name Katie was using. I wonder if Katie posts under Anne Macfarland elsewhere on mercury mom sites.

Kirby admitted that he was handed a pile of stuff that SAFE MINDS had collected, I think most of it was FOIAd documents, and stuff that the law firm of Waters and Kraus got on “discovery.” One interesting thing, to me, is that whatever the ambulance chasers would have found in Eli Lilly’s archives that would have tended to exculpate thimerosal, the lawyers would not have handed to Kirby. So he got the stuff that was incendiary looking, not the responses to them. That’s just logic. Lawyers are paid to twist facts, are did I get that wrong?

At any rate, Kirby didn’t do any or much “investigation” he did regurgitation as anonmouse has pointed out. His book is more offensive to me than a pile of vomit. It is vile and toxic. I think Kirby is, too. He’s running around with a pocket full of disgust for the parents that you can see on his face in his more relaxed moments in photos, and his own agenda, which I think is to attack the CDC for it’s role in not fighting the AIDS epidemic in the beginning. I suggest you read, “And the band played on” by Randy Shilts if you want to see a balanced view of how the gay community saw the CDC and the AIDS epidemic.

Kirby having been deeply involved in gay rights and AIDS whatever, has more real interest in AIDS than in autism, that should be obvious. Though he has denied it, I think he may be one of those who think the CDC deliberately created the AIDS epidemic through the Hep B vaccine. Kirby has some massive issues with honesty (2005? I said 2007!) , so if he denies something, I can’t quite take that at face value.

Kim Stagliano’s writing is pathetic, whether or not she is a mother of three, it’s just pathetic. It’s sweet of you to stand up for her Ms. Fishkin, but come on. Stagliano writes self-glorifying drivel. It’s so pathetic she has to “spice it up” with references to bodily waste and sex acts.

She gets points for responding on Huffpoof though, something Kirby never has done.

26. anonimouse March 29, 2007 at 03:20 #

Brian Deer is an investigative journalist.

David Kirby is little more than a PR flack for the mercury militia.