A little Autism Hub catchup

19 Apr

Thanks to some generous donations I’ve been able to extend the life of the current scripts a bit longer and feel more confident about adding in more members.

To that end, I’d like to welcome you to our latest ‘batch’ of members:

Big White Hat keeps a blog where the good guys where white hats. He has an autistic son and often discusses autism on his blog.

Asperger Square 8 is a site run by Bev where she discusses her life as an Asperger’s adult.

And last, but by no means least, is One Dad’s Opinion – a very new blog started by regular LB/RB commenter and all round good guy Steve D who you might know better as Friend in California.

Welcome all – good to have you aboard! If Hub readers would like to welcome them either here or – even better – on their own blogs I’m sure they’d very much appreciate that.

Oh yeah, if you’re wondering why I’m announcing this here rather than on the Hub site as I usually do, its because the list time I tinkered with the scripts I managed to delete the whole WordPress database. Good going eh? And did I have a backup? No. Truly I am the techno-wizard. Not.

Update

The Bain blog is now authored by Alex. Check it out.

14 Responses to “A little Autism Hub catchup”

1. jypsy April 19, 2007 at 16:54 #

Hi Kev,

How would you feel about replacing Alex’s “iRunmam” blog with his new “Runman” blog? It’s more about running than autism but since running is how he does his advocacy/awareness raising it will obviously be part of it (we just blogged about a 25yo autistic who ran the Boston Marathon in 3:05:36 – 1 second and 5 runners ahead of PEI’s 2nd fastest runner there)

The iRunman blog was there to document his tip-to-tip run and the safety training seminars they made possible. It has likely seen its last post.

2. Kev April 19, 2007 at 18:16 #

Sure – I think I talked about doing it before and promptly forgot.

Mail me the Address :o)

3. Jeanette April 19, 2007 at 19:14 #

I am so happy to see BigWhiteHat….he is a true gentleman…
    I love his writing.
    Jeanette

4. Ms. Clark April 19, 2007 at 19:50 #

Welcome, new hub bloggers. 🙂

5. Broken Link April 19, 2007 at 23:07 #

Kev,
    You mention donations. Can you tell us how we can help?

6. Friend in California April 20, 2007 at 05:00 #

Little did Al Gore know when he invented the internet that he would be one-upped by some bloke from the UK.
    Thanks, Kev, for the intro.

7. Ms. Clark April 20, 2007 at 05:37 #

Oh great, just great. I just realized that Kev is being subsidized by the powerful Ketchup Advisory Board. They’ll have bought his opinions. One good thing is that the KAB seems to be leaning toward the neurodiversity “side”.

Ram audio file.
    Here’s one of their recent commercials:

Ketchup script
    Saturday, February 3, 2007
    Listen

Sue Scott: These are the good years for Jim and me… We got an invitation in the mail for our daughter’s one-woman show. It’s called Look What They Did To Me: My Parents, My Pain. She says it’s been getting big crowds– she thought it would be very cleansing for us to come. But we couldn’t. Jim had to go and get his teeth cleaned. He didn’t have any cavities, but they have 52 areas that they’re going to keep a close eye on for next time. That night he had a dream about work and woke up and went there, thinking it was morning, but it was 3 a.m. and he set off the security alarms, the company SWAT team came in with automatic weapons and tear-gassed him and cuffed him and took him downtown, and unfortunately Jim was carrying the copy of the Koran that our daughter had sent him for Christmas ( you know how kids are) and that meant that they detained him for three days, and when he came home, he’d been given a truth serum and was saying things I didn’t care to hear— he was a mess. Jim— darling?

Tim Russell: Barb. Guess what.

SS: What?

TR: That’s what.

SS: What’s what?

TR: It’s a joke, Barb.From second grade. It just came back to me.

SS: That’s not a joke, Jim—that’s just stupid.

TR: What’s that behind you, Barb?

SS: Where, Jim?

TR: Made you look, make you look, made you buy a penny book.

SS: Don’t be so immature! Hey—did you take my toast?

TR: (CHEWING) Finders keepers. Mmm. Apricot jam.

SS: That’s my toast!

TR: Knock knock.

SS: Who’s there, Jim?

TR: Eskimo Christians.

SS: I hate this joke.

TR: You’re supposed to say, “Eskimo Christians who?” Come on.

SS: Eskimo Christians Who?

TR: Eskimo Christians I’ll tell you no lies.

SS: It’s not funny.

TR (LAUGHS): It’s funny to me, Barb.

SS: Jim what’s gotten into you this morning? You’re so-loopy.

TR: I in that dentist’s chair, looking at the X-rays of all my impending cavities, and I thought, life is short. It’s meant to be enjoyed.

SS: You’re enjoying my toast, is what you’re doing, Jim.

TR: Lighten up, Barb.

SS: Jim, I wonder if you’ve been getting enough ketchup.

TR: Ketchup, Barb?

SS: Ketchup contains natural mellowing agents that help you see that life is ok just as it is. With or without jokes.

TR: Sounds good, Barb. Did you hear about the —

SS: Yes, I did, Jim. Many times.

Rich Dworsky (SINGS):
    These are the good times,
    If we persevere.
    Prosperity is coming.
    All we need to fear is fear.
    Life is flowing
    Like ketchup in your beer.

Garrison Keillor: Ketchup, for the good times

RD: Ketchup…ketchup…ketchup…

Another one here,
    And here.

8. Kev April 20, 2007 at 07:55 #

😀

Ketchup is good, Brown sauce is better.

Broken Link – you could get yourself a T-Shirt (UK & EU, North America) or, if you need no sartorial upgrading you could PayPal me cold hard cash to kevleitch@gmail.com

9. Kev April 20, 2007 at 08:01 #

FiC – its a little known fact that Al Gore and I meet up once a year, strip to the waist and fight with large hand weapons whilst the ‘fighting music’ from Star Trek plays in the background. Whoever the winner is gets to control the powah of the intraweb for the whole year.

So far, his ‘aqleH has not managed to challenge the powah of my mighty jey’naS. Ahem.

10. Friend in California April 20, 2007 at 13:47 #

Kev –
    In your next faceoff with Al, please beat out of him the desire to run for Preisdent of the U.S. You would be doing our country a great service.

11. Estee April 20, 2007 at 14:39 #

I’m happy about this! 🙂

12. Kristina April 24, 2007 at 02:19 #

It’s been great to see the Hub change and grow and evolve, to continue the organic metaphor……

13. Joeymom April 26, 2007 at 14:07 #

Ok, i give up. How does one join the “Autism Hub”? Is it by invitation-only, since there is nothing on the page I can find to help even get information about joining? What did I miss?

Just want to join in with my internet buds.

Thanks!