Time for changes

23 Apr

For those that missed it, my site got zapped over the weekend. I went over my bandwidth allowance. I usually shift about 14-15GB per month but this weekend I went over my 15gb limit – a whole 7 days early. Yikes.

The culprit was the Chelation video which shifted 5gb on its own and was pushed over the edge by getting linked from Orac. Not his fault at all, I should’ve been keeping a closer eye. Normally, the 5gb that the video took would’ve seen me through to the end of this month but this time I was flatlined.

My host is a good guy and offered me a gig for free to get me through to the end of the month but a gig only lasts me 2 days so I bought another 5gb per month, taking my monthly bandwidth allowance up to 20gb. This will give me a little breathing room.

However, I have to restructure some stuff that’s on here. One of those things is Meg’s blog. I’ve already moved it but in order to preserve its privacy I need you to do a few things if you want to keep on (or start!) reading it.

First head to the WordPress.com signup page and create an account. Just select the ‘Just a username, please.’ option and that’s all you need.

Second, when your account is created, mail me your account name and the email address you specified when you signed up so I can add you as a user of Meg’s blog. Only registered users can see her blog and only I can add registered users.

That’s it, that’s all you need to do.

Other changes:

I may be redesigning this site to reduce the imagery. The less large files, the more I can keep my bandwidth drain lower.

The Hub will be redesigned. I want to make it work harder for users and I need to organise how it lists members better. I think there are now too many members to just have one big list. It needs a bit of categorisation.

13 Responses to “Time for changes”

1. hollywoodjaded April 23, 2007 at 17:56 #

Thanks, Kev: For everything that you’ve accomplished for so many and for all that you continue to do … so expertly and so uniquely.

2. notmercury April 23, 2007 at 18:31 #

Yeah. What he said 🙂

3. Ms. Clark April 23, 2007 at 18:36 #

Yeah, what she said, too. 🙂

4. Kev April 23, 2007 at 18:47 #

Wait – HJ is a hermaphrodite? Who knew? That damned thiomersal and its wicked asexual creating ways!

5. Margaret Romao Toigo April 23, 2007 at 20:23 #

Have you considered an image posting service, such as Flickr, to save on bandwidth?

Actually, I came here to shamelessly plug an editorial I wrote that was published at Blogcritics.org, but I cannot resist the urge to be a computer geek.

BTW, if I haven’t written so previously (I’m usually a lurker), I thank you for putting up this interesting and informative web site.

6. hollywoodjaded April 23, 2007 at 20:39 #

Ahem – the correct term (i believe) is intersex. Yup, it wuz big pharma whut dun it. ;-}

7. Ms. Clark April 23, 2007 at 21:32 #

Margaret Romao Toigo’s article on blogcritics.org is really great. If this was eBay, I’d give her an AAAAA++++

8. notmercury April 23, 2007 at 21:46 #

I concur. Very nice writing Margaret.

9. Kev April 23, 2007 at 21:55 #

I found it this afternoon Margaret, its a great piece 🙂

Flickr, yeah I use it but I’m not sure how happy they’d be about me linking to images via a stylesheet.

10. Friend in California April 23, 2007 at 21:58 #

That is really well done, Margaret. How long have you been following this debate? What prompted you to take this position. Do you have a Dog in this Fight?

11. Ms. Clark April 24, 2007 at 03:23 #

She has two spectrum kids. She has video on YouTube, the videos are great.

12. Do'C April 24, 2007 at 06:11 #

Margaret well done. Comprehensive, yet extremely readable. Please write more.

Any other lurkers out there? Several autism-hub blogs welcome guest autism bloggers.

13. Friend in California April 24, 2007 at 13:31 #

I thought that might be the case, Ms. Clark, because the essay is very well-written, and to me portrays the viewpoint of someone who is intimately familiar with the discussion.