Sick of the Dehumanising

28 Sep

I am utterly sick of Jenny McCarthy and the TACA urges to autism Yahoo groups members to bombard radio/TV stations where she is appearing with pictures of kids, telling them to tell the TV stations there kids are ‘recovered’ whether they are or not:

More help is needed to show the cynical world children with autism ARE getting better. They ARE recovering!. If you have a recovered
child or a child that is near recovered, has benefited HUGELY from biomedical intervention please read and consider the following.

WE NEED RECOVERED KIDS – families need to send in their stories and pictures of their recovered child or children. What is needed – Before and After pictures for kids who recovered from autism. (IT IS IMPORTANT TO SAY: I give permission for these photographs to be on air with Larry King 9/26/07 – include parents name & phone numbers with the childs first name only to appear.)

See? Doesn’t matter if your child actually _is_ recovered – or even recover _ing_ – just being a biomed user is enough to ‘prove’ recovery according to Julia Berle. The media spin is sickening. The attempt to utterly mislead people is sickening.

I am also utterly sick of hearing SafeMinds, the NAA, A-Champ and all those other soccer mom, white, upper-middle class me-me’s having the gall to say that a study that makes it clear in its abstract that it has nothing to do with autism is misleading the public about autism. This coming from groups who have incited violence against honest scientists and who have blatantly lied about these same scientists affiliations – with no apology or retraction – and who have paid journalists to write nonsensical, non-scientific propaganda on their behalf.

Further, I am sick of the Sally (I’m sorry, I can’t bring myself to carry on typing that ‘look at me’ version of her first name) Bernard’s of this world who – even when invited to help design a study and who are happy to do so, don’t possess the moral fibre to stick with the study they helped design because it didn’t produce the results they wanted. And not only that, have the temerity to complain about the design of the self same study – _which they helped design without a word of complaint until it produced results opposite to her beliefs_.

Lastly, I am utterly, totally sick of the casual dehumanising of my daughter and people like her – autistic people – who are now happily being described by Jenny McCarthy’s pet quack as soulless.

Well, screw this, I’ve utterly had it. What I want to do is give Kartzinel a big loud and clear blast. And I need your help to do it. I also need the help of your friends and your friends friends.

I want to produce a video to post to YouTube which will be an utter refutation of such unbelievable crassness. I want to collect a picture of every autistic child who’s parent rejects the description Kartzinel gave for autistic children. They do not need to be named if you don’t wish to do so. They will not be identified. They will just be present. Please send me your photos to kevleitch@gmail.com. Please pass this request on to your friends. Please make sure this arsehole understands that referring to our children in this way is not acceptable.

20 Responses to “Sick of the Dehumanising”

1. Ashley Reynolds September 28, 2007 at 23:22 #

Hi there! I’m Ashley Reynolds with KOMU TV 8 in Columbia, Missouri.

We are in the process of producing a series called, “Combating Autism from Within.”

We have a team for the series to make sure we do our best to cover this passionate topic.

I would like your input on a blog we have started…it will eventually connect to the stories we will do for the series on the station’s website.

Any and all ideas are welcome…for now we are using this blog as a free flow of information.

If you would like to post to the blog email:
    jlee_reeves.autism@blogger.com

Or you can request access to be a regular blogger at this email: Areynolds.autism@gmail.com

Our goal with the series is to inform the public about the spectrum…you tell us what you think we should cover!

Thanks!
    Ashley

2. Joseph September 28, 2007 at 23:30 #

“Combating Autism from Within.”

With that series name, you might find people around here are not very eager to collaborate. Please consider a more balanced series name.

3. Do'C September 28, 2007 at 23:44 #

Ashley,

I’m afraid I’m not as good at being polite as Joseph is. You could not have picked a more appropriate post to insert you’re spam-like request in, to demonstrate why mainstream media is part of the problem autistic people face.

Suppose you were doing a series on Native Americans who face challenge in America due to the socially constructed notion of race. Would “Combatting Native American-ness from within” be an appropriate name?

Autistic people are likely to find the name of your series itself offensive.

4. Gonzo September 29, 2007 at 03:53 #

Kev,
    Thank you. It’s time that the rest of the community that doesn’t support this BS stood up for itself. With all the crap from Jenny and TACA, it’s high time we said, “you’re not speaking for us.”

Ashley,
    I’m not even autistic and I find that title offensive. I highly recommend a change.

5. Ashley Reynolds September 29, 2007 at 04:39 #

Hey,
    Sorry I am new to the blog posting…I got a comment from ms. clark of http://www.autismdiva.blogspot.com saying I should address this blog about the series.
    Thanks for your comments and I will pass them along.
    I did a story this past summer and got tons of responses…Through these responses we felt we should do a series…
    If you think we are wrong, please post on our blog and tell us why…
    Thanks!

6. Do'C September 29, 2007 at 05:06 #

“The series name is about dealing with autism..I think the word combating represents this..people want to figure out what causes autism and how to deal with it.”

Ashley,

Try substituting “working with” in place of “dealing with”. Doing so does better service to autistic people.

Of course the series title doesn’t work with that line of cooperative thinking.

7. Ms. Clark September 29, 2007 at 07:39 #

Just to be clear, I don’t approve of the title of Ashley’s planned series and I don’t approve of, or appreciate, the meaning behind, “combatting autism within.” I did want her to read the blogs on autism-hub.

The only people who can “combat autism from within” would be autistic people and their experience wouldn’t seem to be about “combating” autism, at least it’s not my experience. It sounds like what the mythical Sysiphus was charged with doing.

Working with who I am and with the limitations I have, yes.

Can you imagine yourself combatting your femaleness from within? Does a Touretter need to “combat” Tourette from within? I don’t think they’d describe their dealing with TS that way.

Ashley, did you read what Kev wrote in the blog entry you commented under? A little more respect and a little more decorum would have been appropriate to the message he’s trying to convey here.

How many degrees of separation between Kartzinel and Andrew Wakefield, by the way?

8. Rjaye September 29, 2007 at 08:51 #

Oh, for crying out loud. I went over to the KOMU site, and it seems to have been archived already, and the few posts I had access to are by people whose only information has been from DAN doctors and “alternative specialists.” I don’t know what I can do to help educate people about autistic spectrum disorders, but these parents seem to struggling, and desperate in some cases. Yet they turn to methods that are just magical thinking, or even damaging to their kids.

To hear of kids being “diseased” is disturbing. It makes me wonder what they are putting their kids through in the name of “curing” them.

I don’t know what else to say.

9. bullet September 29, 2007 at 09:10 #

Kev, I shall get some photos sent off within the next few days.

10. mike stanton September 30, 2007 at 07:59 #

Sorry,
    no pix from me. That would have to be my son’s choice. But good luck with the project anyway.

11. Maddy September 30, 2007 at 14:24 #

I think Mike is probably right, that it’s the child’s choice rather than the parents. That said, I do think it helps people to have that [visual/humanity] connection.

My friends in the ‘real’ world also cover the spectrum of viewpoints and we generally agree to differ.

Best wishes

12. Ms. Clark September 30, 2007 at 17:33 #

Mike’s son is a young man, but I would think it might be a good idea to explain to kids where their photo is going. I would imagine most parents would want to share the video with their child when Kev is done with it, so they’d probably tell the child what they want to do with the photo.

Also, I don’t think Kev is identifying any of the photo’s by name or location.

13. Bartholomew Cubbins October 1, 2007 at 00:33 #

Getting a face on autism is always a good thing imo as long as love and acceptance of the person are the main points of the effort. Good show, Kev.

14. Steve D October 1, 2007 at 04:21 #

My son will be included. I look forward to the day he looks back on this video with pride. Perhaps he’ll have a chuckle over it as he emails back and forth with some or many of the other kids included on the video.
    Having said that, I respect the heck out of Mike’s decision.

15. Kev October 1, 2007 at 06:57 #

Mike’s decision is absolutely the right one IMO. Adults (and young adults) should always make their own choices.

However, I have recieved lots of photos for inclusion – I want to say a big thanks to those who have sent and urge you to pass the message on.

16. Sharon Talib October 3, 2007 at 05:37 #

I woke up from having day surgery a few days ago to the sight and sound of this doctor and the two mums on the Larry King show. Seeing the show was painful inspite of my pain relief and all I could think of was….MY god, if you’re going to go on tv at least try and learn how to come across a bit better, because none of them, (especially Ms McCarthy) would have encourged me to even try a new treatment for athletes foot.

I honestly believe that much can be done to help our children overcome some of the ill-health associated with autism, but that’s about as far as it goes.

17. Sharon Talib October 3, 2007 at 05:41 #

Just wanted to add that my son is 16 and has more soul than the rest of us at home, put together.

He oozes soul.

I would send in his picture if I knew how to do it, I’d make the decision for him because he just wouldn’t be able to make the decision for himself.

18. Kev October 3, 2007 at 05:49 #

Sharon, you can send it to kevleitch@gmail.com – thanks – and thanks to your son too 🙂

19. bullet October 3, 2007 at 12:06 #

I’ve just seen the video and it’s brilliant :). I forgot to send in Tom though, can I do it now in case you do a sequel?

1. Soul train « La Rana - October 3, 2007