Ginger Taylor – The Smearing Continues….

3 Apr

Thanks to anonymous person who alerted me to the fact something was wrong here.

Short recap: Janny McCarthy and David Kirby were guests on a US shows called Larry King Live where they had some kind of debate (although it really sounds a bit like it was a shouting match) with some AAP guys.

Ginger reported it thusly and laid into an AAP guy called Dave Tayloe, Jr.. Here’s Taylor’s opinion on the man:

Tayloe is just dangerous.

This man has GOT to be removed from the position that he has been elected to before he takes office. I would take Karp in a second over this guy. Karp was wrong, but he wasn’t crazy person saying insane things with a smile wrong.

But then the real fun starts:

UPDATE: OMG! Turns out the Vaccine Injury Compensation Court exists in part due to the 3.5 million dollar malpractice suit that Dr. David Tayloe lost in 1985 when a child he gave the DPT shot to magically got permanent brain injury!! That Asshole just got on TV and implied that he had never SEEN a vaccine injury in his practice!!!

Dangerous….crazy…asshole…..

And having a court force him for giving a shot to a kid who could not handle it was still not enough to teach him the lesson that not all vaccines are safe for every child, because he went on the Today show and said that ALL VACCINES ARE SAFE FOR EVERY CHILD!!!!

The information Ginger Taylor posts regarding this lawsuit is here. But here’s a key section:

$3,500,000 Jury Verdict, May 1, 1985

The Defendant Pediatrician, David Tayloe, who at that time was the President of the National Pediatric Association, strenuously fought this case all the way to a jury verdict….

Now if you visit the AAP site you will find out that in 1985, the man who appeared on Larry King Live (named David Tayloe Jr) had only qualified in 1977. And yet a bare 8 years later we’re supposed to think he was the President of the National Pediatric Association? I suspect it might have been this mans father. David Tayloe Snr.

You might also note that:

Dave [Tayloe Jr] has served in the leadership of the NC Chapter since 1985.

Straight from a failed multi-million dollar lawsuit into a leadership position huh? I really don’t think so.

If I was a blogger like Ginger Taylor I might call her names for (yet again, in the space of one week) irresponsibly publishing information about a man that will serve to inflame the sensibilities of people who really need to calm down. Taylor is developing something of a reputation for this of late.

She might be right, it might conceivably be the same David Tayloe but I have to say it sounds very, very unlikely. Did Ginger Taylor do any background reading on this or was she simply too fired up from Jenny McCarthy saying a rude word to bother?

Oh and AAP? I bet you’re really really pleased with your decision to meet the DAN! brigade now, right? Thanks once again for deciding to sacrifice credibility and evidence based medicine to try and ‘meet halfway’ a bunch of people bending over backwards to shit on you the first chance they get.

11 Responses to “Ginger Taylor – The Smearing Continues….”

1. Regan April 3, 2008 at 10:00 #

The 1985 suit was filed against Dr. David Tayloe, SENIOR., and without any formal knowledge I am not going to make any statements about the particular case, except that the award did act as impetus for physicians in NC, including Dr.Tayloe, Jr., to lobby the state capitol for a vaccine-related injury compensation program; in NC it appears to be illegal to take physicians to jury trial for medical liability cases involving the administration of state-mandated vaccines.
    The below article is quite open about the malpractice suit, the award and subsequent legislative action. It also describes Dr. Tayloe JUNIOR’s professional activities in the Greenboro, NC area.

Dr. David Tayloe, JUNIOR, is not the person who was the subject of the malpractice suit.

But, don’t take my word for it–here’s the article,
    “Dr. Tayloe (Jr.) brings generations of medical knowledge to AAP Board”
    AAP News Vol. 19 No. 6 December 2001, p. 265
    (Not open access, so you have to purchase the article to read it.)
    I’m sure that there will still be plenty to argue about, given the controversy of the issue of vaccines/autism/etc., but it was worth buying the article to fact check that little piece so there isn’t a confusing piece of suggestive libel going around as there was in the case of confusing the John Merck Foundation with the Merck pharmaceutical company.

2. Doc Strange April 3, 2008 at 12:53 #

Sorry you had to purchase that article…I’m a member and I would have freely researched that info.

Does Ms. Taylor have any idea how obnoxious and, yeah, potentially dangerous, her diatribes are? My sense from reading her blog and comments is that she worships the Great God Kirby and aspires to follow in his footsteps with “big breaking revelations!”

While I don’t know either Dr. Tayloe, from my experience it is highly unlikely that Dr. Tayloe Jr. was president of the “National Pediatric Association” only 8 years after completing his training. I’m presuming that the website is actually referring to the American Academy of Pediatrics, as opposed to the “NPA”, which I have not heard of and don’t believe exists in our universe.

That being said, there is a lot of head-shaking going on in a practice administration listserv I read, over the AAP press release and the implication that AAP will begin working with an organization that maintains that vaccines cause autism. And reading through Age of Autism, etc., you can see the antivaxers obvious reaction of delight that pediatricians will begin learning chelation and “nutraceuticals”. Sigh. I would actually be more inclined to learn about DAN!’s treatment methods even if I was not to use them in practice, if their faithful were not so militantly hostile to the average mainstream physician.

Maybe I’ll break out and form a “National Pediatric Association” after all…

3. Kev April 3, 2008 at 15:23 #

Just as confirmation, Mike Stanton noted in an email that the vaccine in question was administered in ’74 – 3 years before he (Tayloe Jr) graduated from med school. The source for this was the article Ginger Taylor posted on her post about Tayloe.

Ginger Taylor has published a sort-of correction which calls Tayloe ‘evil’. Any more inflammatory names to call him before you calm down enough to apologise to the man Ginger?

4. Joseph April 3, 2008 at 15:49 #

I find her silliness kind of amusing actually. But maybe you’re right, it could be serious stuff.

5. Leila April 3, 2008 at 17:16 #

The “debate” was difficult to watch. Jenny would never let any of the doctors finish their sentences. There’s something to be said about her social skills.

6. jypsy April 3, 2008 at 17:30 #

Her attitude reminded me of Heather Mills on Larry King last year protesting the East Coast Seal hunt.

Come to think of it, so did her knowledge level (Paul Mc. & Heather kept insisting, to the Premier of Newfoundland, that they were at that very moment “in Newfoundland”. In fact, they were in the Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island CBC studio)….

7. Doc Strange April 3, 2008 at 19:00 #

Just to add one more thing on Ginger Taylor’s case of mistaken identity which has popped up on the EoH yahoo group and the Autism Speaks forums…

…a google search for her name brings up an interesting acting entry a few pages in.

Do unto others etc etc etc…

No defamation intended, just highlighting how awkward mistaken identity can get when you base your research on a quick web search.

8. Regan April 3, 2008 at 20:35 #

Doc Strange,
    I probably should have known that there would be a professional who posts :-), and saved a few bucks.

I was more than irritated that potential misinformation and innuendo was going to spread around the web about someone–the details suggested that the story was probably untrue, but it was worth it to know. Thanks for the further corroboration.

9. Doc Strange April 3, 2008 at 21:00 #

Regan,

No prob. Been interested in autism for a long time and heading into neurodevelopmental peds. JMc’s craziness and the recent Poling news have inspired me to jump into the whole “who caused the autism epidemic?!” furor.
    I’m happy to share articles etc. if folks here are looking for references. I spent some time today reading Kanner’s original paper.
    General question: Is there any research on the makeup of the “1 in 150” autism figure, i.e., high-functioning, Aspies, low-functioning, CDD, PDD-NOS, Rett’s, etc.? I feel like I’ve read that it’s extrapolated from department of education statistics or some such thing, but I would be interested in any other info. I feel like the implication of the Kirby-ites is that the 1 in 150 is all “vaccine-injury regression due to mercury poisoning” autism. And I really haven’t seen that in my practice outside of the few families that have gone the DAN!/Krigsman route…

Regards.

10. Joseph April 3, 2008 at 21:30 #

That will depend on who’s doing the study. Diagnosticians will disagree. Sometimes they use different instruments. Studies don’t usually look at the prevalence of “high functioning” autism. One thing’s for sure. CDD is extremely rare, at less than 1 in 10,000. DSM-IV Asperger’s in children is also quite rare, and researchers don’t agree on whether it’s diagnosable or not (the way the DSM-IV is written).

If you go with California data, which is quite detailed, but not of the same quality as that of a study where assessments are confirmed of course, about 65% of autistic children are “high functioning” (that is, not in the MR category). But California DDS counts are considerably behind the epidemiology. Not all autistic children in California are registered with DDS by far. My suspicion is that the proportion of high functioning autistic children in California is therefore much higher than 65%.

11. Regan April 3, 2008 at 22:03 #

Doc Strange,
    I think the 1/150 is derived from the ADDM Network survey (Feb 2007)
    Please note that the distribution has quite a spread depending on the state surveyed (example, the 1/94 sometimes cited is the number from NJ). My understanding is that the count will be continuing and expanding.

I think these might be relevant to the prevalence and identification question (although I admit that I have collected these for a project I have just started working on and have not read them thoroughly yet, so can’t speak to the specific distinctions you asked about).

Sorry for flinging a bunch of citations and then running :-/. Happy reading.

S. Chakrabarti and E. Fombonne (2005). Pervasive Developmental Disorders in Preschool Children: Confirmation of High Prevalence. Am J Psychiatry, June 1, 2005; 162(6): 1133 – 1141.

Laidler, J.R. (2005). US Department of Education data on “Autism” are not reliable for tracking autism prevalence. Pediatrics, PEDIATRICS Vol. 116 No. 1 July 2005, pp. e120-e124

Leslie, D.L., & Martin, A. (2007). Health care expenditures associated with autism spectrum disorders. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 161, 350-355.

Liptak G. S. , Stuart, T., Auinger, P. (2006). Health care utilization and expenditures for children with autism: data from U.S. national samples. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 36, 871 –879.

Mandell, D. S., & R. Palmer (2005). Differences among sates in the identification of autistic spectrum disorders. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, March 1, 2005; 159(3): 266 – 269.

R. F. Palmer, S. Blanchard, C. R. Jean, and D. S. Mandell (2005). School District Resources and Identification of Children With Autistic Disorder. Am J Public Health, January 1, 2005; 95(1): 125 – 130.