Autistic man dies

12 May

In November 2005, 26 year old Mr Jesse Moores died after choking to death on ‘a golf ball sized piece of food’.

Moores was autistic with a low IQ (therefore classed as ‘severe’. He was described as having the mental age of 8). He lived in the Chine Care Home in Enfield, North London, a residential group home owned and operated by Robina Care Group Ltd. He had a history of choking incidents.

The day Mr Moores died, the home was being managed by Deputy Manager Patience Etchu-Abangma. Also on duty with her that day were two agency care workers.

It transpired during court proceedings that Etchu-Abangma had a secret second job and that she had left the home on that day to work at that secret second job. Before that fact came out however, she lied and said she was out shopping at Boots.

When one of the two agency staff called Etchu-Abangma to tell her that Mr Moores was choking to death, Etchu-Abangma told her not to phone an ambulance for 15 minutes. This gave her time to leave her second job and return to the care home. Only then was an ambulance called.

During the police investigation following Mr Moores death, Glen von Malachowski, who was chief executive of company Robinia, said ‘shit happens in our business’.

Some people are pure scum.

Advertisements

15 Responses to “Autistic man dies”

1. aspie-bird May 12, 2009 at 11:12 #

This is so sad! Shocking! And those with severe autism depend on such professionals…

2. joeyandymom May 12, 2009 at 13:02 #

If you were a parent of a child, and left them to choke for 15 minutes, you’d be slapped in jail so fast it would make your head spin. Things happen. But you need to respond appropriately and responsibly if they do. Call the ambulance first. Know your heimlich maneuver.

3. autismherd May 12, 2009 at 13:23 #

They CALLED their boss to tell her someone was choking??!! instead of an ambulance first?! …I am astounded by the lack of training, the level of incompetance and absolute poor judgement. My 5 year old could do better than that. As for Mr. Malachowski..I think that a different profession is in order..perhaps as a speed bump.

4. daedalus2u May 12, 2009 at 13:45 #

Of course. The two staff knew she wasn’t there and was working a second job while billing for this one. Presumably if they had called an ambulance and she hadn’t been there, she would have fired them and blamed the incident on them.

It is probably standard operating procedure to bill for time not spent. What did the agency head say “shit happens”, yeah, duh, “shit happens” when no one is there to make sure it doesn’t happen. That is what they are paid to do.

I think some jail time is in order for the lot of them. For fraud for charging for time not spent and for criminal neglect for not being there when “shit” happened.

5. FieldingHurst May 12, 2009 at 18:22 #

Did this go to court or something recently? Happened 4 years ago.

6. Kev May 12, 2009 at 18:56 #

Yes, verdicts were handed down recently.

7. chaosandjoy May 13, 2009 at 11:13 #

It’s terrifying to have a child in care. We’re lucky that my son’s group home has good institutional procedures (multiple staff on duty, parents always welcome, zero tolerance for abuse, etc.), but you just never know what’s going on when you’re not there. At some point hopefully it will be possible to pay staff more, in order to attract higher quality workers/supervisors.

8. Bob Moores May 14, 2009 at 21:13 #

For clarity: Etchu Abangma told the agency worker to “do nothing” as she would call the ambulance – she delayed calling the ambulance for upwards of 15 minutes. Upon her return to the care home she called tha ambulance service again and when asked was CPR being administered she said yes – this was a blatant lie as no 1st aid was given to my son.

Glen von Malachowski’s comment was outrageous – an insult not only to the memory of my son and my family but also to all of the good and caring workers in the care industry.

Following a three week Crown Court case Robinia Care were fined £250,000.00. Etchu Abangma was fined the maximum allowed – £1200 -clearly too small a price but of great significance is the fact that she will never work in the care industry again.

My son was a sweet and gentle young man and deserved better

Bob Moores

9. Kev May 14, 2009 at 23:40 #

Mr Moores, I am so sorry that you have had to go through such a thing. I think I speak for all people who frequent this blog when I say that what happened to your son was an outrage. I’m glad Etchu Abangma will never work in the field again but it is beyond awful that it had to come at such a dreadful personal cost to you and your family.

10. Mike Stanton May 15, 2009 at 00:03 #

Mr Moores.
    please accept my deepest sympathy and my utmost respect for the dignity with which you continue to conduct yourself in the face of such outrageous statements by the guilty and the ridiculously lenient sentences that were handed out.

11. Jennifer Bardwell May 15, 2009 at 00:15 #

Mr. Moores,

I’m very sorry to hear what happened to your son. I hope that you will find some closure in these legal decisions – at least there were some repercussions, no matter how meager they must seem. Please take care of yourself and the rest of your family.

12. chris.haynes57 May 15, 2009 at 04:28 #

You have my deepest sympathy. There is no excuse for the actions of the staff.

13. sharonfennell May 15, 2009 at 11:13 #

I am so sorry for the terrible loss of your dear son caused by an appalling crime.

I hope you can find some peace in his memory.

1. Adults with Autism – Keep Kids Healthy - October 27, 2018