I am Bonnie Offit!!

16 Nov

AoA have a hilariouslybizarre post up this morning.

Is Dr. Bonnie Offit masquerading on the web as an autism parent and prolific blogger named “Sullivan”?

And why do AoA think this?

The primary answer seems to be that they found a comment from Liz Ditz on Squidalicious blog that _seems_ (if you’re not too bothered about reading the context) to refer to Sullivan as ‘her’. In fact what Liz was doing was referring to the subject of the post she was commenting on – Holly Robinson Peete.

AoA’s next piece of evidence is that Bonnie Offit surfs the blogosphere late at night. Erm…so what?

Their third piece of evidence seems to be that Sullivan is a smart guy. This is undeniable. I’ve had the good fortune to chat to him via Skype and he is indeed one smart cookie. Is he a doctor of medicine as Bonnie Offit is? No. No he’s not.

Their fourth piece of evidence is that Sully defends Paul Offit. Well so what? I know of lots of bloggers, including myself, who defend Paul Offit.

Their fifth piece of evidence (why does this remind me of ploughing through Age of Autism the book) is that Sullivan appears to know Paul Offit. Again, so what? I’ll be frank, I’ve swapped emails with Paul Offit and charming man that he is, he’s always very friendly and courteous , going out of his way to be helpful and guess what – he gives proof copies of his books to people he think would be interested in reading them!! I have one myself. Dan Olmsted, Mark Blaxill et al also indulge in this practice. That takes care of another piece of ‘evidence’.

Yet another piece of evidence produced by AoA is that Sully goes to great lengths to clarify what Paul Offit earned from his vaccines. Let me give you a little lesson AoA – this is something called ‘clarity’ and it is coupled with something called ‘tenacity’. When you have these things, as Sullivan does, you are interested in the actual truth as opposed to the surface appearance.

Yet another piece of evidence (and we’re really scraping the barrel here) is that Sully didn’t discuss the suit against Paul Offit until the day it was dismissed, despite the fact that Orac had. Not really sure what to say about that one, except this is getting very silly indeed.

AoA closes this piece of hilarity with:

You know, I’m starting to hope this is Bonnie Offit, because if it isn’t we have one really, really troubled father on our hands. Get a life, father of a child with autism, Paul Offit is not going to help your child…unless Paul Offit is the father of your children, and then, once again, it all makes sense.

Which is a weird statement to make given that the author of this whole piece, JB Handley, said in an email to Sullivan:

…you are entitled to your own opinion, and I find your writing to be thought-provoking.

So on one hand Sully is a really, really troubled father and on the other JB Handley finds Sully thought provoking. Hmmm.

However, as I said, its plain to me that Sullivan is not Bonnie Offit for one clear and simple reason. I’ve spoke with HIM.

And there’s one other factoid AoA clearly missed. Sully can’t be Bonnie Offit because I am!!

Update:Orac claims he’s Bonnie Offit. Clearly this can’t be true because I AM!!!

57 Responses to “I am Bonnie Offit!!”

1. Visitor November 16, 2010 at 13:33 #

Kev, you probably got tired of laughing before getting to this deeply sick evidence that Sullivan is Dr Offit:

‘What parent of an autistic child would write, “my main concern is to create a better world for all people, but especially for people with disabilities. Autism is a great challenge. People with autism deserve respect and support”? Give me a break! A real parent would only have one main concern, the concern we all share: giving our own child the best possible life!’

Unbelievable!

2. Joseph November 16, 2010 at 13:53 #

This is the funniest thing to come out of the anti-vax movement in years.

It tells you all you need to know about how JB Handley reasons, how he evaluates what he considers “evidence,” and ultimately, how right he typically is about his conclusions.

3. Kev November 16, 2010 at 13:59 #

Visitor I don’t think I’ll _ever_ get tired of laughing about this. But as for your concern, I don’t share it or see it as sick. Giving people with disabilities a better life can only help our own individual children have a better life. It all comes down to if one is prepared to accept the idea of society and contributing to it to the betterment of everyone or if you assume an ‘I’m all right jack’ attitude and see society as someone elses problem – an attitude shared by antivaxxers too.

4. Stuart Duncan November 16, 2010 at 14:08 #

There’s only one response worthy of this level of insanity: “I’m Batman”

5. AutismNewsBeat November 16, 2010 at 14:13 #

“Give me a break! A real parent would only have one main concern, the concern we all share: giving our own child the best possible life!”

Translation: A real autism parent is as self-centered and narrow minded as I am!

6. Alison Singer November 16, 2010 at 14:53 #

LMAO. Age of Autism has truly become the Comedy Channel. Oh, and by the way, I am Kev Leitch. Unless maybe I’m Liz Ditz. I’ll have to review the evidence.

7. Stuart Duncan November 16, 2010 at 15:07 #

Sadly, that is their focus. This is why they spend all their time selling books, to take parent’s money, rather than raising money to help those parents.

8. isles November 16, 2010 at 15:19 #

Fools! Forget J.B. Handley – if you were half as smart as the Dynamic Duo of Blaxill and Olmsted, you’d see right away that Sullivan is the nom de plume of an autistic Amish web developer who hides in the hayloft deep into the night, obscuring the bluish glow of the screen with a hand-loomed woolen blanket, commenting feverishly everywhere he goes. And of course Bonnie Offit is really Mark Rimland.

9. K_Dad November 16, 2010 at 16:30 #

I’ve made myself a solemn vow never to visit that site ever again, but I’m dying to know how the regulars over there are taking this. I’m guessing it’s just the typical “you tell ’em, JB” responses, right?

10. KWombles November 16, 2010 at 16:31 #

We need a song, though, reminiscent of “We are the world.”

11. KWombles November 16, 2010 at 16:35 #

K_Dad, pretty much, other than one lone objector.

12. Alison Singer November 16, 2010 at 16:36 #

Here’s a theme song. Be Like Bonnie!

13. Bonnie Offit November 16, 2010 at 16:50 #

As if I have time to comment on this blog!

14. isles November 16, 2010 at 16:53 #

The truth everyone is trying to hide is that Bonnie Offit is actually a tall, muscular black man.

15. Leila November 16, 2010 at 16:56 #

I have a hard time understanding what Mr. Handley thinks he will accomplish with his constant attempts at character assassination, difamation, and harrassment of people who defend vaccines. This strategy clearly does not even help the antivax movement, and always makes him look like a paranoid jerk.

16. Neuroskeptic November 16, 2010 at 17:18 #

What’s funny is that they make a much stronger case for Sullivan being Bonnie Offitt than they’ve ever made for vaccines causing autism. and it’s still crap.

17. Liz Ditz November 16, 2010 at 17:25 #

Does anybody know a good discount therapist for our obvious identity issues?

I, and I alone, am Bonnie Offit

18. brian November 16, 2010 at 17:26 #

I confess that I posted above under Bonnie Offit’s name to hide the fact that I am, in fact, a tall, muscular black man, or perhaps two out of three . . . .

19. Liz Ditz November 16, 2010 at 17:26 #

Oh, and Allison Singer? You can be me anytime.

20. Science Mom November 16, 2010 at 17:37 #

I’ve been ‘accused’ of being Allison Singer. Ergo, by AoA logic, I’m Allison Singer.

21. Smarter Than You November 16, 2010 at 17:58 #

Oh yeah we forgot Bonnie, you are too busy implementing your “one size fits all” vaccine program on every child that walks into your office to comment on this blog. And it probably absorbs a lot of your time kicking the parents who have any concerns about the safety of their child right out your door…did someone actually say this lady is smart? I have interviewed her husband and I can assure you he is not smart. He is all over the news blabbing about the “Science”, but the interesting part is that when you actually ask him about the “Science”, he doesn’t know it at all!!! I was embarrassed for him!

22. David N. Brown November 16, 2010 at 18:09 #

I was the one who obtained Paul Offit’s statement about his actual Rotateq income. So who will AoA say I am, a one-armed, one-legged possum?

It looks almost like AoA is trying to top last year’s thanksgiving post. I’m going to copy and paste this one in case they take it down.

23. smarter than you November 16, 2010 at 18:22 #

Oh yeah, one more thing…Alison Singer you are a moron. Didn’t want to leave that out this morning!

• Kev November 16, 2010 at 18:27 #

Damn you STY, every time we think we’ve got away with it, you and only you scold us just as we deserve!!!

Or whatever the hell you want to hear [rolls eyes].

24. brian November 16, 2010 at 18:26 #

A half hour after I posted using Bonnie Offit’s name and then immediately confessed that I had posted using Bonnie Offit’s name, Smarter Than You wrote:

Let me type this slowly for you: you were responding to a joke.

Besides, SMY, you should know that you can’t take anything that JB writes seriously, because unlike Blaxill and Olmsted he doesn’t lard his screeds with footnotes.

25. Chris November 16, 2010 at 18:26 #

STY is here! Hoo ray! So, STY, when will you be revealing that great research of yours to us?. It is half way through November. Is it going to be a blockbuster website? Or a press release? Perhaps a full page ad in USA Today?

Oh, wait… did I forget to tell you that I am Bonnie Offit? Or, am I Sullivan?

Nah, take your pick.

26. Joseph November 16, 2010 at 18:35 #

you are all about to have your tails between your legs very soon 🙂

We’ve never heard that one before.

LOL

I hope more anti-vaxers show up. This is way too funny.

27. Shannon November 16, 2010 at 18:42 #

I really do have to thank Mr. Handley for giving us a shining example as to why AoA is not a legitimate autism resource — since the Baby-Eaters’ Thanksgiving post was taken down.

28. Todd W. November 16, 2010 at 18:45 #

No, no, no. I am Bonnie Offit!

Oh, and K_Dad, with the exception of Craig Willoughby, the faithful are eating it up. Surprisingly, they’ve actually allowed Kev and Liz Ditz to comment!

29. Kev November 16, 2010 at 18:46 #

Has AoA?

30. Sullivan November 16, 2010 at 18:47 #

I feel left out. Apparently I am the only one who is *not* Bonnie Offit.

31. Liz Ditz November 16, 2010 at 18:58 #

Let’s emphasize Handley’s promise:

If you can produce a dad with a child with autism with a remarkable …grasp of the medical and scientific literature who blogs under the name Sullivan, a man who has an inordinate grasp of the details of your husband’s patents, lawsuits, published studies, and web habits, I will make sure that the pauloffit.com website is given to you and your husband for good.

In fact, if you can produce this father, I promise to never, ever publicly write about or utter the name “Paul Offit” again.

I am willing to swear under oath that I know Sullivan’s true identity, that he is a man, that he is not married to Paul Offit or Bonnie Offit, and that he is the father of a child with autism.

32. isles November 16, 2010 at 19:07 #

Okay, but do you have a tail between your legs? What’s between your legs seems to be a topic of intense interest at AoA today.

33. Liz Ditz November 16, 2010 at 19:21 #

Kev, you and Emily Willingham must be the same person.

Age of Autism, Meet Shark.

34. Neuroskeptic November 16, 2010 at 19:24 #

smarter than you: If it turns out that you’re wrong and that we don’t end up with our tails between our legs will you change your name to “dumber than you”?

35. Kev November 16, 2010 at 19:54 #

LoL Liz, that’s spooky but I hear these things only get started if you refer to me as a woman – or is it something in my writing style? I dunno.

36. Prometheus November 16, 2010 at 21:08 #

Now wait a minute! I’m Bonnie Offit!

Or am I Sullivan?

I forget. These darn pseudonyms we all have to use so that the AoA types won’t harass us make it all so confusing.

One thing isn’t confusing, though – this attempted “outing” shows the quality of reasoning that goes on at AoA. Based on a single pronoun and a small pile of circumstantial (and ambiguous) evidence, they’ve created an entire conspiracy theory.

Just like they have about autism and vaccines.

Prometheus…Bonnie Offit…Sullivan…whoever I am!

37. sheldon101 November 16, 2010 at 21:35 #

Sullivan is too smart and knowledgeable to be a layperson.

“Sullivan also claims to be a layperson. If you read many of Sullivan’s posts, you’ll quickly see you are dealing with a person who is smart, organized in their thinking, and extremely facile with complex medical terminology. One example:

“Kev,all mitochondrial DNA is maternally inherited. There is one case in the literature of someone inheriting the mDNA from a father, but it is called, “the exception that proves the rule”.

Mitochondrial disorders are not caused always by mDNA. The mitochondria processes material which is determined both by mDNA and nuclear (nDNA). So, if the cell is creating proteins that are incorrect for the needs of the mitochondria, the mitochondria will malfunction.”

This is just one of hundreds of examples. Sullivan writes with great clarity and ease on very complex medical and scientific processes and cites published medical research ad nauseum.

Conclusion: Is Sullivan a layperson with a remarkable gift for explaining complex medical and scientific issues? I highly doubt it.”

Ah ha, I know who Sullivan is — she’s Kwombles. Why Kwombles? Because Kwombles also (see above) knows her stuff.

Guess what JB? People can actually read enough and study enough that they can become knowledgeable in a specific area, such as autism and vaccines and the medical literature.

Most of the time people don’t. You, of course, are a perfect example.

38. AutismNewsBeat November 16, 2010 at 21:53 #

My Bonnie blogs over at Left Brain
    My Bonnie blogs both day and night
    My Bonnie researches the science
    In order to get the facts right

Bring back, Bring back
    Bring back reason and sanity
    Go back, crawl back
    under your rock, JB!

39. Gray Falcon November 16, 2010 at 22:36 #

“Based on a single pronoun and a small pile of circumstantial (and ambiguous) evidence, they’ve created an entire conspiracy theory.”

That seems to be how most conspiracy theories work. Like a nightmare, tiny details suddenly gain horrifying significance. I mean, some of his “evidence” consists of Sullivan showing knowledge and compassion. Does he think everyone has an ulterior motive? Can he even sleep at night?

Really, what type of person thinks that everyone who disagrees with them is part of a wealthy, powerful conspiracy? Is this paranoia, egotism, or an overwhelming desire not to be wrong?

40. Clay November 16, 2010 at 22:45 #

“And just another reminder…almost complete…you are all about to have your tails between your legs very soon 🙂

Whip it out, STY, show us what you got! We’re getting bored waiting for you to show us anything other than arrogance.

41. livsparents November 17, 2010 at 01:20 #

Some random thoughts:

Once Sullivan is cleared as “notthe Bonnie”, will JB’s next post be why he is having an affair with Dr Offit?

Someone needs to pirate the new Harry Potter movie and get the scene with all the Harry Potters in it. Seems that most of the congregation here has drank the Bonnie Offit Polyjuice potion!

JB’s ‘evidence’ on this subject seems to be as confounded as his autism/vaccine epidemic evidence…

I belive that I saw an infant Sullivan on the grassy knoll at Dealy Plaza in Dallas, circa 1963…

JB didn’t actually SAY that sickening thing about helping your own kid and the rest of the disabled world be damned, did he?

42. Smarter Than You November 17, 2010 at 03:50 #

Yeah I don’t really think Sullivan is Bonnie Offit…in my interactions with Sullivan he is a complete dumbass. I think JB is giving Sullivan credit where credit is not due. I think Bonnie Offit is much smarter than whoever Sullivan really is, but that doesn’t say much at all. She is clearly a fucking blind idiot if she turns away families that want to vaccinate their children as safely as possible. Blind to the Science just like her completely blind other half. It’s actually comedy to talk to Paul Offit about the Science. You guys should try it sometime you would laugh at the guy you idolize just like I would laugh at him if he weren’t putting every child on the planet in harms way. He knows as much about Autism as the used car salesman down the street does. NOTHING! The guy knows how to make a vaccine, and not a safe one for that matter, but he doesn’t know a god damn thing about Autism. So why he is even mentioned when talking about Autism is rediculous…and his silly little organization with the even bigger idiotic and Offit idolizing Alison Singer is a joke. Autism Science Foundation, yeah right, more like Vaccine Science Foundation. All you dipshits need to wake up and open you clueless minds to the Science, because you are all going to be forced to very soon.

And Brian, come on dude, get a clue dipshit!

And Clay, good comeback dude, you must know a lot about this subject.

By for now all you “Stupider Than Stupid” jackasses!!!

43. Science Mom November 17, 2010 at 04:52 #

I feel left out. Apparently I am the only one who is not Bonnie Offit.

There there Sully, you did, after all, get an epic and hilarious screed dedicated to you, complete with YouTube videos for added emphasis. You’re doing something right.

44. Stuart Duncan November 17, 2010 at 05:31 #

I read, in the AoA book, that mercury caused Bonnie to be Sullivan.

45. Neuroskeptic November 17, 2010 at 12:27 #

Man my tail is tired. It’s been proudly wagging for the past few days. If only I had reason to put it between my legs. But I don’t see any.

46. David N. Brown November 17, 2010 at 22:22 #

I believe I have an analogy for Handley’s “challenge”:
    If I say JB is Bigfoot, then he IS Bigfoot, until Bigfoot comes out of the woods to make a statement that he/she/it isn’t JB.

47. Prometheus November 17, 2010 at 23:39 #

STY,

Try using paragraphs. It would make your spittle-flecked screeds easier to read.

Also, aren’t you the one who said we would all be having our tails between our legs? Well, I can’t speak to your genetic heritage, but my distant ancestors lost their tails millions of years ago.

Prometheus

1. Tweets that mention Autism Blog - I am Bonnie Offit!! « Left Brain/Right Brain -- Topsy.com - November 16, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kev, Liz Ditz. Liz Ditz said: Now @kevleitch is #imbonnie at LB/RB http://bit.ly/aLEWbu Honestly the folk @ageofautism have reading comprehension, logic deficits […]

2. No! I am Bonnie Offit! | Life in the House That Asperger Built - November 16, 2010

[…] I am Bonnie Offit!! […]