Apply Now for IMFAR Stakeholder Travel Awards

25 Jan

(January 24, 2011-New York, NY)–The Autism Science Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting and funding autism research, today announced that it is offering a limited number of grants to parents of children with autism and other stakeholders to support attendance at the International Meeting for Autism Research (IMFAR), to be held in San Diego, May 12-14, 2011. Awards of up to $1000 can be used to cover registration, travel, accommodations, meals and other directly related expenses, including childcare or special accommodations to enable individuals with autism to participate.

IMFAR is an annual scientific meeting, convened each spring, to promote, exchange and disseminate the latest scientific findings in autism research and to stimulate research progress in understanding the nature, causes, and treatments for autism spectrum disorders. IMFAR is the annual meeting of the International Society for Autism Research (INSAR).

“We are thrilled to be able to offer this program again this year and to give back to the autism community in a research-focused way,” said Alison Singer, president of the Autism Science Foundation. “Last year’s award recipients took what they learned at IMFAR and brought it back to their communities in very creative, effective ways.”

To apply, send a letter to grantsATautismsciencefoundation.org describing why you want to attend IMFAR and explaining how you would share what you learn there with the broader autism community. Letters should be sent as Microsoft Word attachments of no more than 2 pages, 12-point type, “Arial” font, with standard margins. In the subject line please write: IMFAR Grant. Letters must be received by February 28, 2011. Recipients will be announced in late March. Additional application information is available at www.autismsciencefoundation.org/ApplyForaGrant.html

12 Responses to “Apply Now for IMFAR Stakeholder Travel Awards”

1. Alison Singer January 25, 2011 at 23:27 #

Kev: Thanks for posting. We hope many of your readers will apply.
    -Alison

2. passionlessDrone January 26, 2011 at 03:27 #

Who will accept the Patron challenge if I attend IMFAR? Who has the fortitude to allow our theories to be decided by the only logical test, Patron Anejo shootout?!

– pD

• Sullivan January 26, 2011 at 03:45 #

pD–

depends. Will this be over an Alberto’s carne asada burrito?

3. Shannon January 26, 2011 at 05:55 #

Seriously considering it. Thanks for posting, Kev.

4. Kassiane January 26, 2011 at 09:08 #

In a completely unshocking development–parents and media are mentioned. Autistic people aren’t.

My parents don’t hold my stake. I DO.

(stuff like this is why I loathe Big Autism).

5. Alison Singer January 26, 2011 at 14:11 #

@Kassiane: That is simply not true. The announcement specifically mentions that covered expenses could include special accommodations needed to enable an individual with autism to attend. We included this in response to feedback that it might encourage more individuals with autism to apply.

We hope you will consider applying. Best, Alison

6. Sullivan January 26, 2011 at 19:56 #

Kassiane,

I think that autistics should be noted more clearly than as “other stakeholders” in the phrase–“…offering a limited number of grants to parents of children with autism and other stakeholders…”.

But I think this sentence:

“Awards of up to $1000 can be used to cover registration, travel, accommodations, meals and other directly related expenses, including childcare or special accommodations to enable individuals with autism to participate.”

makes it clear that autistics are mentioned and included.

Ms. Singer points out that the message was modified from last year based on feedback. Perhaps this feedback will make another change.

I’m hoping that there are autistics who apply and who are given the travel grants. What better opportunity to give feedback to the ASF and the research community as a whole?

7. Kassiane January 26, 2011 at 20:55 #

@Alison:
    As there is very little whitespace that’s pretty hard to see if one has visual processing problems (as many autistic people do). It’d be nice, just once, for us to be listed with as much priority as people around us.

Heck, I’d be over the moon with “parents, autistic adults, and other stakeholders”. It shows we matter enough to not be an afterthought.

I intend to apply. I want to see what the research is.

@Sullivan:
    People who aren’t autistic need accomodations too. And not mentioning us right out makes us, again, sort of an afterthought, AND we have to read between the lines. I’ve always sucked at that. You’d think I was autistic or something…

• Sullivan January 26, 2011 at 21:06 #

Kassiane,

I agree with you. I’m not a part of ASF, but I hope you apply. I hope you get one of the travel grants. I hope you spread the word about these grants.

8. Alison Singer January 28, 2011 at 20:16 #

We re-wrote the announcement so that individuals with autism are listed in the headline. Thanks for this feedback. Best, Alison

9. Kassiane January 29, 2011 at 17:49 #

I look forward to seeing the improved version.(and to applying, if I don’t have to coach states that weekend. Can’t be in 2 places at once).

1. Tweets that mention Autism Blog - Apply Now for IMFAR Stakeholder Travel Awards « Left Brain/Right Brain -- Topsy.com - January 25, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kev, Alltop Autism. Alltop Autism said: Apply Now for IMFAR Stakeholder Travel Awards http://bit.ly/i8PgSE […]