The Curious Case of Autism and MMS

14 Jun

Todd Drezner, who brought us the wonderful film “Loving Lampposts”, has a new article up at the Huffington Post: The Curious Case of Autism and MMS.

I’m going to say something radical, something that may shock you. Brace yourself. Are you ready? Here goes:

It’s not a good idea to make children drink bleach.

If you’re not familiar with the autism community, you may wonder why my statement would ever be considered controversial. Unfortunately, in the autism community, where there are disagreements about everything, even this seemingly straightforward statement causes arguments.

It’s worth a read and a comment. Even though it is painful to read.

Advertisements

12 Responses to “The Curious Case of Autism and MMS”

  1. Margie June 14, 2012 at 20:48 #

    I am curious why there is so much controversy. Actually, we know alot about Autism, but then again, we know so little. Bleach should never under any circumstances be given to children. It is hard for me to believe that Doctors would even consider this. How in world can a bleach enema cure Autism? It is so frustrating. Are we going back to the dark ages. For good basic information about Autism, go to http://www.medicalbug.com/what-is-autism-what-causes-autism/ . I believe that a cure is in sight in the near future, but not a bleach enema. Thank you for the post. I am sending it to my friends.

    • Paul Morgan (@drpaulmorgan) June 14, 2012 at 21:35 #

      There are no “doctors” considering giving bleach (MMS is just sodium chlorite, industrial bleach) to anyone, especially not children. MMS is being pushed by deluded fools such as “Bishop” Jim Humble and other terminally stupid people. MMS is quite possibly one of the worst forms of quackery out there in a quagmire of woo.

    • Liz Ditz (@lizditz) June 14, 2012 at 22:36 #

      Margie’s post is link spam, I think.

  2. seventhvoice June 15, 2012 at 03:32 #

    Reblogged this on seventhvoice and commented:
    All I can say is…. What the Hell do these people think they are doing making autistic children drink bleach…… I’m sorry…. for a minute there I thought we were living in a more enlightened society…. apparently I’m wrong…..

  3. Roger Kulp June 17, 2012 at 03:52 #

    How is it worse than Lupron?

    Kudos for the usually woo-ey HuffPo for running this,also we knew it would bring the Greek chorus of usual suspects,with their usual cliched responses.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/amdachel?action=comments

    Correlation=causation,autism epidemic.Blah blah blah we’ve heard it all before.Go away Anne.

  4. Phoenix June 18, 2012 at 08:05 #

    “MMS” is not a bleach as in chlorine bleach, it’s chlorine dioxide, and entirely different animal. Look up the chemistry of it on Wikipedia. It is approved by the FDA for water purification (safer than chlorine for human use), and washing food. It has been used around the world by millions of people. It is sad that the lack of knowledge surrounding this has caused people who zero understanding of its chemistry has come to this, because used correctly, “MMS” does amazing things to help the human body over come infection and disease.

    • Lawrence June 18, 2012 at 10:38 #

      Wow – another individual that thinks drinking or giving enemas full of a “bleaching agent” is a good idea….where the hell do these wackos come from?

    • Sullivan June 18, 2012 at 16:06 #

      Even Wikipedia notes that chlorine dioxide is used in bleaching.

      Are we going to get into another round of “even though it is used in bleaching, it isn’t a bleach”?

    • Regan June 18, 2012 at 22:23 #

      It may have been approved by the FDA for water purification, but it is not approved by the FDA for internal use – on the contrary.
      FDA NEWS RELEASE
      For Immediate Release: July 30, 2010
      Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA
      FDA Warns Consumers of Serious Harm from Drinking Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)
      Product contains industrial strength bleach
      http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm220747.htm

      Health Canada (2012)
      Sodium Chlorite Solution Not Authorized for Oral Consumption by Humans – Health Canada Advisory 2012
      http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2012/2012_21-eng.php

      Food Standards Agency (UK)
      Food Standards Agency – Warning against consumption of Miracle Mineral Solution
      http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2010/sep/mms

      Federal Agency for Medicines and Health Products (FAMHP), the Federal Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain (FASFC) and the Federal Public Service (FPS) (Belgium)
      “Miracle Mineral Solution” or “MMS”: warning – – FAMHP
      http://www.fagg-afmps.be/en/news/news_mineral_miracle.jsp

      The Guardian did a piece on MMS when it was making the rounds of other conditions – cancer, Crohn’s disease, AIDS, influenza (although even looking at “Archbishop” Humble and company’s website it’s clear that MMS is promoted as a fix all for whatever ails you) – autism is just tapping into a previously unexplored “market”.
      “The man who encourages the sick and dying to drink industrial bleach”
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/15/miracle-mineral-solutions-mms-bleach

  5. Greg Boyle June 22, 2012 at 16:05 #

    Please read the peer publications Regan has cited. I know CLO2
    Please to everyone out there, do not drink sodium chlorite and especially the conversion to chlorine dioxide for any reason. This should make the MMS question immediately moot. (Using credible water purification tablets for purifying water from specifically bacterial endospores is ok) There is not a credible

    I have ten years of experience in R&D and delivery of chlorine dioxide into the air and surface for disinfection. Yes, it’s a miracle chemical compound but only for specific uses. There are over 120 years of peer publications that overwhelmingly support the power of Clo2 disinfection with very noticeable under-whelmingly kindredness for internal application. A great website to gather published information for any discussion re: chlorine dioxide is http://www.odorscience.net/Technology.html.

    Chlorine Dioxide and Sodium Chlorite are very powerful oxidizers. That’s why they work. There is no educated chemical engineer or chemist that would ever endorse using an oxidizer of this magnitude internally. Yes, it does burn on the way down.

  6. gitary fender January 18, 2013 at 11:37 #

    “great post.Never knew this, thankyou for letting me know.”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. The Curious Case of Autism and MMS « Left Brain Right Brain | My Autism Site | All About Autism - June 14, 2012

    […] See more here: The Curious Case of Autism and MMS « Left Brain Right Brain […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: