What changes are in store for Generation Rescue?

9 Apr

If you haven’t read the celebrity gossip news you may have missed it (and good for you!). Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey have split. As an aside, in classic Hollywood fashion, news also just came out that her ex husband is in a new celebrity relationship. I’ll never understand the way Hollywood uses relationships for image promotion.

That said, this is not an easy thing to blog about. First, there is the fluff component. This isn’t a celebrity gossip blog. Second, Jenny McCarthy’s kid is only seven. He doesn’t deserve to lose another father figure. I wish him well.

One question this poses is whether Jim Carrey will continue with Generation Rescue?

It appears not. Generation Rescue has revamped their website. The picture of Jim Carrey, Jenny McCarthy and Evan McCarthy is gone. GR is now just “Jenny McCarthy’s autism organization”. Jim Carrey is no longer on the page of the Board of Directors.

Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey were the wealthy celebrity couple that revitalized Generation Rescue. And, let’s face it, Jim Carrey is the part of the couple with most of the celebrity and wealth.

The Generation Rescue website is probably in flux so we shouldn’t jump to any conclusions about what is missing as of now. That said, consider this:

Not only is Jim Carrey missing, but Dr. Jill James is no longer listed as a part of their science advisory board.

Mention of Desiree Jennings is gone. (She is the person who claimed that a flu vaccination caused dystonia, a claim that didn’t appear to hold up to scrutiny ). I don’t think this signals anything other than it was a convenient time to quietly pull support for someone who was, well, a liability.

On the main page for Generation Rescue, Jenny McCarthy is pushing hard to get a $250,000 grant from Pepsi. Is this prompted by the loss of Jim Carrey’s financial support? If you haven’t seen the plea from Ms. McCarthy, consider it. At least the first 20 seconds. That way you can hear her state that Generation Rescue “…helps and Treats thousands, millions of children with autism”

Yes, millions of children are supposedly helped by Generation Rescue. That would be more autistic kids than in the entire U.S..

I remember when Jim Carrey first hit the scene. He paid for a full page ad for Generation Rescue in USA Today. Just up and paid for it. Those ads cost over $200,000 as I recall. Now GR is pushing hard for a grant of that size.

Jim Carrey was a bit of a lightweight when it came to autism and disability issues. He demonstrated that clearly at the Green Our Vaccines rally. But, he was an asset to Generation Rescue. His leaving can’t be helping GR.

About these ads

14 Responses to “What changes are in store for Generation Rescue?”

1. David N. Brown April 10, 2010 at 02:27 #

I predict that at least one autism/anti-vax group will fail by the end of the year. GR appears most vulnerable.

• Sullivan April 10, 2010 at 04:58 #

David N. Brown,

these groups can work on a small budget if needs be. And, besides, are they really separate? They share so many board members (Katie Wright, Dierdre Imus, Moody, etc).

One thing of interest–the current leadership page for Generation Rescue does not include Stan Kurtz. Mr. Kurtz was (is?) president of GR. He was also a paid employee–at about $78k/year in 2008. If GR is trimming costs, it might make sense for them to release him.

• Sullivan April 10, 2010 at 05:26 #

On the GR page for the “Green our Vaccines” rally, Jim Carrey’s talk is not included in the videos.

• Sullivan April 10, 2010 at 16:19 #

I have been informed that Stan Kurtz is still president of GR.

2. Broken Link April 10, 2010 at 14:00 #

The fact that the whole GR website has been re-vamped so quickly after the Jim-Jenny split suggests to me that Jim insisted on this. Otherwise, why has all mention of him been excised?

3. David N. Brown April 10, 2010 at 22:21 #

Sullivan,
    Certainly, anti-vax groups can (and do) operate on small budgets, but GR strikes me as uniquely concerned with creating a high profile through large expenditures. They may or may not adapt their habits soon enough to respond to new realities. As for the very valid point on their interdependency, this is something that I consider suggestive of the decline in their general fortunes. (I get a vivid picture of crocodiles crowding together in a shrinking waterhole.) It may also reflect a “de facto” end of independent, functional existence for some groups, as seen in ridiculous extremes with American car manufacturers.

4. lucy oberg-medina June 18, 2010 at 18:22 #

Help! My son was undergoing chealation with supplements BRAINCHILD mineralsvitamins omega oils and vit.e. I lost custody 6 mnths ago to his father, he no longer receives the necessary regimine to continue pulling the ethyl mercury’arsenic,from his highly poisoned little body (4.0 over the safe limit of ethyl mercury) lethal level. He’s a living miracle explained his pediatrio neurologist julie griffith. Im seeking the help of any human rights attorney Sir Anthony Gifford if possible, to help me establish a court order to implement his treatment and bring William out of this autistic coma hes fallen back into! The court hasnt recognized or considered my plea. I spoke to Will and he could barely make sounds, and the phone was taken from him and hung up while I was trying to talk with him,being a single parent no family Im at a loss for help. Please, someone contact me with any assistance possible (510)253-7990 or (510)2536382. sincerely desperately, thank You, Lucy Oberg-medina

5. Chris June 18, 2010 at 19:02 #

Lucy, I suggest you read a few more articles on this website.

6. David N. Brown June 18, 2010 at 19:04 #

This is probably a hoax, though as yet the name hasn’t turned up elsewhere. I tried looking up Julie Griffith, and did find a site for a self-identified neurologist. There’s definite New Age/ “natural health” overtones, but chelation isn’t listed among her services or products. The name looks like it was interpolated into a formula message.
    Question: Whether this is a scam/spammer or a genuinely deluded parent, what made her/him think posting HERE would do any good?

7. David N. Brown June 18, 2010 at 19:19 #

Update: I tried looking up the numbers, and all I could determine was that it is a land line. How many busy single mothers are there without cell phones?

Looking at messages like these, I often think of Philip K. Dick’s story “Second Variety”. They really do look like they could have been created by a machine trying to look human.

8. Broken Link June 18, 2010 at 21:25 #

I’d suggest that it’s just bait to drag us to visit the GR site. Don’t click on her link.

9. David N. Brown June 18, 2010 at 22:07 #

Yes, it does go back to generationrescue.com; I can see that without even clicking… Is GR desperate enough to pay or otherwise encourage people to do things like this, just for a fraction of a cent in revenue from a page view?

• Sullivan June 18, 2010 at 22:43 #

David N. Brown,

bensmyson has posted to AoA that his goal in commenting on forums such as this is as a troll. Keep that in mind.

10. Chris June 18, 2010 at 22:38 #

Or suck you into calling those phone numbers.