Letter To JB Handley, Founder Of Generation Rescue

18 Jun

Dear Mr Handley,

I’m writing this letter to you to ask you to make textual revisions to the ‘generationrescue.com’ website. As it stands, your website is responsible for perpetuating untruths about the nature and causes of autism that can only serve to promulgate negative stigma and reduce funding into valid interventions.

On the website you state:

Generation Rescue believes that childhood neurological disorders such as autism, Asperger’s, ADHD/ADD, speech delay, sensory integration disorder, and many other developmental delays are all misdiagnoses for mercury poisoning.

and

There is no evidence to suggest that autism is genetic. No autism gene has ever been found and the search will be endless – how can you have a gene for a mythical condition? Autism is mercury poisoning.

These two statements (one an expression of opinion and one an expression of your opinion disguised as a statement of fact) are untrue and misleading. Whilst it may be true that there is no *proof* that autism is genetic, there is plenty of very good, valid *evidence* to indicate that there is at least in part a genetic component to autism. To baldly state ‘autism is mercury poisoning’ is facile. In fact, there is no proof that could lead you to make such a claim although, like with genetics, there may be some evidence.

I don’t have an issue with you claiming that autism _may in some cases_ be resultant from an environmental insult such as Mercury. It is your unfounded and belligerent claim of fact that bothers me so much.

Your organisation advocates the use of Chelation Therapy. In fact, I’m given to understand that you use it own your own son. If your son is Mercury poisoned then from what I understand of Chelation Therapy, it may work. Equally it may not. If it works for you then more power to you. No one wants to see children suffering. However, I’m of the opinion that informing parents that *all* autism is mercury poisoning and that Chelation is the answer is grossly over simplifying the case and tantamount to a willful misleading of people trying to do their honest best. And costing them thousands of dollars as a result.

Chelation therapy also has a dark side. One that has resulted in injury and death. Your blasé support of it as a therapy is worrying in respect of parents who may find only after the fact that they preferred an autistic child to a dead or seriously injured child. Your failure to advise on the potential dangers associated with such an untested and unknown procedure is also very worrying. What are the long term effects of Chelation Therapy for autistics? Where are the long term studies?

But by far my biggest worry in regards to your simplistic stance on ‘autism is mercury and nothing else’ is this: Every time that lie is perpetuated, every time its circulated and every time its repeated a little less attention and importance is attached to finding and researching valid interventions that can greatly benefit our autistic kids. Not only that, but you debase and devalue a whole section of society by effectively labeling them as ill when they are not. This is unacceptable to me.

As the parent of an autistic I face an uphill battle getting services that my child deserves. When you move your campaign to the UK (as I’ve no doubt you will) your dogmatic claim stands a good chance of even more seriously impeding my daughters ability to access services she needs. What could possibly be your reason for insisting to the detriment of autistics everywhere that autism is mercury poisoning and only mercury poisoning? Why do you desire to make the lives of parents like me even harder? Why do you desire to increase the stigma of autism?

I ask you from the bottom of my heart Mr Handley, as one Dad of an autistic child to another on Autistic Pride Day and on the eve of Fathers Day here in the UK – please, try and see your way clear to undoing the damage you are doing. I’m not asking you to disband your organisation or discard your beliefs. Instead I’m asking you to moderate your tone and please try to be respectful of autistics and parents of autistics who know beyond doubt that autism is *not* only mercury poisoning.

My best to your family.

Kevin Leitch

49 Responses to “Letter To JB Handley, Founder Of Generation Rescue”

1. Kev June 18, 2005 at 00:22 #

Reply:

“Kevin:

If you don’t like our website, don’t read it – its called freedom of expression.

Kids are getting better every day. I don’t understand why you try so hard to shut us up – have your daughter tested for mercury poisoning – you may learn something.

I’ve read your blog, please do not bother writing again as I will not respond, I’m too busy trying to save as many kids as I can.

2. Kev June 18, 2005 at 00:22 #

Retort:

“Which request would you like me to comply with? The one to not write again or the one requesting I send you more information about Chelation being dangerous?”

3. Kev June 18, 2005 at 00:37 #

And so, what do we learn from this exchange?

First we learn that Mr Handley isn’t very good at reasoning. He tells me not to write again, but at the same time to send him details of a related matter.

Second, it tells me he’s not very good at reading, or possibly comprehension. He’s obviously mistaken ‘freedom of expresion’ with ‘freedom to bullshit with zero accountability’. He also claims I want to shut him up. Thats right, I want to shut him up so much I wrote to him asking for a dialog. You’re free to comment here Mr Handley – unless you get abusive I’ll not stop you saying whatever you want – thats called freedom of expression I believe?

Thirdly it tells me he’s very assumptive. He suggests I get my daughter tested for mercury poisoning. I wonder why he thinks thats not a step I’ve already taken? I was however, saddened to note that I didn’t even merit an offer to get her hair tested in one of his special labs.

Fourthly, it tells me Mr Handley isn’t very good on the old intraweb. A simple search on Google reveals lots of posts detailing the dangers of Chelation including:

“In fact, a number of deaths in the United States have been linked with chelation therapy. Also, some people are on dialysis because of kidney failure caused, at least in part, by chelation therapy.”

American Heart Association. There you go Mr Handley – please don’t be embarrased to contact me if you require any more help using the Internet.

4. Matt Setchell June 18, 2005 at 00:47 #

That kind of sums it all up really.

5. Matt Setchell June 18, 2005 at 00:47 #

Oh shit, I thought Fathers day was Sunday, not today.

Oh dear.

6. Kev June 18, 2005 at 00:49 #

It *is* on Sunday ;o) I said ‘on the eve of Fathers Day’. You’ve still got time to get a card.

7. Helen June 18, 2005 at 01:28 #

So grrrrr.

HAven’t they already found one of the genes that causes autism…..

And I do not want to be told that my condition is caused by mercury poisoning. I grew up in rural scotland for most of my life. How would I get mercury poisoning……

8. Joshua Kendall June 18, 2005 at 02:30 #

“Reply:

“Kevin:

Your assertion that chelation kills is new information – feel free to send any facts to support this as I’ve never seen it.” ”

Some people are just plain fucking morons..I believe that he has to be someone near the top of the list.

9. Joshua Kendall June 18, 2005 at 02:48 #

I posted a link to this letter on my blog so that my visitors can read it.

10. Camille June 18, 2005 at 03:48 #

Kevin,
    The response from Handley was worth its weight in gold.

Your letter was so polite and made a really good point, and his response was so …. what? … rude? thoughtless? strange?

The thing we can all be encouraged by – is that Handley’s personal choice of chelator is…TD DMPS… the “transdermal” 2,3 dimercapto propane sulfonate. It probably doesn’t do a thing to any one but soften their skin, since it’s in a lotion base.

Buttar has no published studies to show that it does a single thing, though he claims to have cured his own son with it.

The DMPS is not able to pass through skin, so I’ve been told. So his little boy is just getting better most likely without suffering the dangers of real chelation. However, his site doesn’t mention that, and promotes “chelation” in general, which can be deadly.

The fact that he’s probably not really chelating his son and yet has lab tests to prove that his son is dumping mercury, leads us to believe that the lab reports are wrong. Logically.

Mr. Handley, might consider using a different lab. One in a hospital maybe. Or maybe he could split a sample and send one half each to two separate labs and compare the results?

If had the money I’d do that kind of test.

11. Kev June 18, 2005 at 04:22 #

On a related note, people interested in the wider issue of thimerosal/autism might want to have a read of Orac’s excellent rebuttal of the latest article in Salon/Rolling Stone.

12. Matt Setchell June 18, 2005 at 08:16 #

On a completely seperate note, thanks for makiing me poo myself last night 😉

13. Matt Robin June 19, 2005 at 03:58 #

Mr Handley: “Generation Rescue believes that childhood neurological disorders such as….”

So – ONLY children have these conditions eh? Hmmm.

Kev: I agree with your comments (post-retort comment). This guy is off the mark and incapable of reasoning. Also, his opinions about Autism (and other conditions) being ‘just Mercury Poisoning’ seem premature and (as you say) distracting from other more legitimate research. I also agree with your statement about your daughter, and others Austistics, not being ‘ill’ (or unfit) merely because they have Autism.

(I had to look ‘promulgate’ in the dictionary…seriously! #Laughs #)

14. Kim Ii June 19, 2005 at 21:49 #

First, here is some info. I found on chelation:

“The Case for Intravenous Chelation Therapy”
    Dr. Martin Dayton , N. Miami Beach, Florida. 1995:

“What kind of doctors administer chelation? Physicians who use chelation are accomplished in conventional medicine. They are fully licensed MDs (medical doctors) and DOs (doctors of osteopthy as are their colleagues who do not offer chelation therapy. Chelating physicians may be board certified in other specialties and hold prestigious academic professional appointments. Some are celebrated and internationally known renown personalities. Others may be less known but equally important doctors servicing urban and rural communities. Their medical practices often incorporate various forms of he

——————————————————————————–

alth care to complement standard medical practice. Most are well versed in nutrition. All look beyond conventional medical wisdom to bring further benefit to their patients.”

“How safe is chelation therapy? By statistical comparison EDTA is safer than aspirin when the protocol (ACAM Protocol) is followed. Unlike surgical approaches, no strokes nor deaths nor heart attacks have been reported to be due to intravenous chelation therapy…”

And this:

Dr. Stephanie Cave, along with her partner Dr. Amy Holmes, have treated hundreds of autistic children. Back in 2000, she spoke before Congress and provided a discourse, based on her own clinical experience, on the link between mercury, autism, and other neurological issues. Excerpt:

“The injection of mercury appears to only affect certain children, but I fear that we have underestimated the devastation by concentrating on the autistic children. We are measuring elevated levels of mercury in other children with milder difficulties like learning disabilities, ADHD, and Asperger’s syndrome. We do not have any idea what the scope of this problem is at this point. There are no safety standards for infants getting bolus doses (vaccines) of ethylmercury.

Our medical training did not adequately prepare us for this challenge. We learned little about testing for heavy metals and even less about treating. The word ‘chelation’ is not in the vocabulary of most physicians. The few physicians who are treating these children are inundated with them in their practices. The good news is that they are responding well to the chelation treatment. The changes in neurological functioning are remarkable with each day of treatment.”

10. A Case-Control Study of Mercury Burden in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder
    Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Volume 8, Number 3
    Jeff Bradstreet, M.D., David Geier, B.A., Jerold Kartzinel, M.D., James Adams, Ph.D., Mark Geier, M.D., Ph.D.
    Summer 2003

This recent study shows, through active chelation with DMSA, that autistic children excrete significantly higher levels of mercury than their neurotypical peers, leading to the conclusion that autistic children bear a much higher load of mercury in their bodies and that chelation may be an effective treatment for removing the mercury. Excerpt:

“The data from this study, along with emerging epidemiological data showing a link between increasing mercury doses from childhood vaccines and childhood neurodevelopmental disorders, increases the likelihood that mercury is one of the main factors leading to the large increase in the rate of autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders. It is hoped that removing thimerosal from all childhood vaccines will contribute to a decline in the numbers of new cases of autistic spectrum disorders.

A personal note from me, Mom to a vaccine injured son (now 12)…our son suffered horrible reactions to every one of his round of babyhood shots. The most horrendous reaction was to his whole-cell pertussis DPT shot at four months. We allowed one more shot when he was six months of age (DT), but he still suffered a reaction. When we inquired as to what harm may have befallen our son due to these reactions, our pediatrician replied, “You most likely will notice some issues when your son starts school.” That’s a quote. What a bombshell that was! But unfortunately, his statement proved to be on the mark. Our son has very recently been diagnosed as being a ‘normal’ young boy with severe learning disorder issues.

Unless you have been in this child’s shoes, there’s just no way to describe the impact these learning disorders have, not only on him, but on our entire family.

I have been involved in vaccine research because of what happened to our son, for almost eleven years now. I’ve pored over voluminous paperwork in medical libraries, public libraries and the internet. I’ve studied the CDC’s own stats, the FDA’s stats…and have come to the conclusion that not everything is as we’ve been told.

I have just finished reading “Evidence of Harm’ and alarmingly so, everything I’ve been feeling in my heart of hearts, was right there in that book. The lies, malfeasance, outright deception and cover-ups are all documented. I have a copy of the Simsonwood Document which documents Verstraeten’s findings and the ensuing coverup of the thimerosal findings.

From my own research and that of my attorney husband’s, it is quite clear to us that this is perhaps the most catastrophic iatrogenic mishap in medical history…billions of dollars are perhaps at stake and an entire generation of children and families have been damaged, some perhaps, for a lifetime.

True science HAS, in fact, uncovered what the cause of autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders are really…that they are indeed, all one thing and one thing only, mercury poisoning. The methylation process, the glutathione factor…the fact that testesterone, when combined with mercury, acts as a synergistic agent and is why you see more boys with autism than girls (estrogen is a protector)…these are all things that were not yet known in the scientific realm until such researchers as Drs. Boyd Haley, Drs. Geier and Jill James, performed their research. Thanks to many activist parents, researchers, physicians, and scientists, the truth is finally being revealed. It’s an ugly truth…but it’s one that needs to be acknowledged, not covered up.

I am, I must also state, NOT anti-vaccine. I believe vaccines have played an important role in today’s society. But we’ve found in all of our research, that not enough research has been done as to how vaccines can alter our immune systems. Have we, perhaps, traded disease for a whole host of other neurodevelopmental disorder and chronic immune disorder, issues?

As for us, we no longer vaccinate our son…these vaccines, those vaccines which were meant to help him and PROTECT him, did just the reverse…they almost killed him. I’ll never forget the day our son collapsed in my arms; we thought on that day, that we would lose him. We didn’t thank goodness, but he’s been left perhaps a fraction of what he was meant to be. How many future teachers, scientists, physicians, lawyers, etc., have we lost forever because of the damage we may have inadvertently caused by something we really don’t know much about? That’s the $50,000.00 question, isn’t it. It has yet to be answered.

15. Kim Ii June 19, 2005 at 22:25 #

I just found this link…I found it rather curious that I find this link, as it is a slide presentation on the biomedical treatments of autism spectrum disorders by none other than James R. Laidler, M.D. Dr. Laidler, if one cares to investigate his background, is now affiliated with a sort of “Quackwatch for Autism” movement. But yet, this link I am about to paste here would refute that which he is now stating.

Here is the link: http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/conference/Laidler_files/frame.htm#slide0037.htm

I would ask Dr. Laider, if he were to post here, why he is now reversing his findings on the mercury/autism spectrum disorder parallels…I would love to have him explain, more in depth, as to the treatments they used for his sons, etc. My husband and I have not yet decided as to whether or not we will seek any sort of biomedical treatment for our son. Dr. Laidler states NONE of the treatments, according to the DAN! protocol, worked for their sons. I’ve read Dr. Laidler’s ‘blog’ regarding his sons’ various treatments with the DAN! protocol…but it was very hard to glean from that reading just what was done in the way of treatment, what sort of heavy metals burden his sons’ were found to have, what sort of chelation therapy, if any was done, etc.

We are trying to deterine if the DAN! protocol may work for our own son. I would love to hear from anyone who may post at this site as to whether or not they’ve used the DAN! protocol and what the outcomes were for them…

16. Kev June 20, 2005 at 14:08 #

I can’t speak for Jim Laider, but like me, he freely admits to once being a believer in the connection. I did too – its all on this blog somewhere. People can change their minds.

As for the rest of your comments Kim I can’t really respond as everything you raise has been covered a few times both here and elsewhere. I’m not sure how we move this debate forward but we need to somehow.

17. Kim Ii June 21, 2005 at 16:56 #

I just don’t understand the vitriol regarding Handley/Generation Rescue. If those that don’t agree with him (Kevin Leitch comes to mind), then don’t…and move on. The running thread that seems to weave itself through all this dialogue seems to be something in which I totally agree with JB…that is the fact that those detractors and naysayers re: the thimerosal issue have not yet even had their children tested for heavy metals. If they had them tested and these tests came back negative…FINE! JB offered to put one woman’s children’s test results on his site, no matter what the outcome. She twisted his words when she stated he wanted access to her children’s medical records. Mr. Handley offered, at GR’s expense, to have her children tested for heavy metals. For some reason, she was insulted. That to me, is extremely telling. If there are those that simply refuse to believe the thimerosal issue, that do not want to believe the FDA, the CDC and others have covered-up this issue, then don’t believe it. I’ve been involved in vaccine research for over a decade…I am telling you the information in Kirby’s book is dead on. It’s an ugly, ugly truth…but one that IS coming out. Why the anger at those that have uncovered this is just beyond comprehension. And…if those that are taking stabs at JB and others that have been instrumental in uncovering this sordid mess haven’t taken the time to thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, read EOH…that’s extremely telling as well. I’m into my second read on EOH…there were many details I of course missed the first go around. A good journalist needs to make sure he/she has all the facts, as much as possible, before reporting any sort of position as to those facts. If those of you that don’t agree with Kirby haven’t even taken the time to read the book and research what he states in his book…well, it leaves me rather incredulous.

18. Kev June 21, 2005 at 18:05 #

I *am* Kevin Leitch. Didn’t the name give it away?

I’ve directed no vitriol towards JB Handley. I asked him to moderate his language to stop perpetuating untruths regarding autism that couls seriously hamper autistics kids getting decent interventions.

The ‘woman’ you refer to is Kathleen Seidel and once again, what Handley offered and what she refused to accept is misrepresented. I strongly suggest you go read her letter to Handley.

If you sincerely beleive Kirby is 100% accurate then thats up to you. Be as incredulous as you like. Unfortunately he’s not even close to being 100% right. I’ve documented factual errors he’s made, as have plenty of others. Your faith in him is all well and good but its misplaced. Yuo might find it incredible that anyone who’s read EoH doesn’t believe every word but some of us can critically appraise without resorting to over generlaisations and hyperbole. Kirby is a terrible journalist who only bothered researching and pesenting one side of the story. Had he done his research better he might have come to see viable conclusions. As it is, he hasn’t.

19. Kim Ii June 21, 2005 at 20:22 #

Yes, Kevin, I KNOW who you are…I was being polite!!! I also CHOSE not to use Kathleen’s name, out of a sense of propriety. You’ve made a large number of blanket statements in your email. You state, “He’s not even 100% right,” and “my faith in him is misplaced.”

Okay…back up your statements. Back them up with cold hard facts on YOUR SIDE of this issue, and I’ll listen.

I’ll ask you this…and by the by, I HAVE read, in its entirety, Katheen’s letter to JB. I stand by my own interpretation of it..free country and all that.

So…Keith, 1) HAVE you read, in full, and have you then, researched any of the information, in DAVID KIRBY’S BOOK, ‘EVIDENCE OF HARM?” 2) Have you researched any of the science regarding the thimerosal issue vis-a-vis ASD? 3) This is a fair question…have you had your daughter’s metals levels tested? And NO…I am not asking for your daughter’s medical records. It’s a fair question.

I’d love a response, please.

20. Kim Ii June 21, 2005 at 20:34 #

Here’s the url re: Dr. Boyd Haley’s presentation on mercury toxicity. http://www.nomercury.org/media/haley/haley_files/default.htm

It’s fairly long…about an hour and 20 minutes or so…have you viewed this? Have you read up on this? Have you received, any of you, through FOIA, any of the long-held, closely guarded stats held so dear by the CDC? Kevin, what, and I’m asking this as politely as I can…what is your problem with all of this? If you HAVE NOT had your daughter’s metals level tested…why? Are you afraid of what you’ll find? No one is saying because this new science has been put forth, that we don’t love our children, warts/adhd/autism and all. We do! But if you can reverse some of your child’s symptoms…give her a chance for a better life…WHY wouldn’t you do that? I’ve read some of your remarks…they ARE somewhat vitriolic…both you and Kathleen’s remarks are. Why? Have you tried any sort of bio-medical treatments for your children? If so, if you have and you saw no improvement whatsoever, I would think it would be prudent for you to share that information with others…others that are perhaps undertaking further research that may find your information useful.

21. Kev June 21, 2005 at 21:42 #

Everything that I’ve claimed is on this site. If you want it, go find it. I simply don’t have either the time or patience to keep repeating myself to everyone who comes along.

My name, once again, is Kevin. Not Keith.

Your claim that ‘this is a fair question’ is not true. What I choose to share about my life or my daughters life is my business and my business only. Your question is entirely innapropriate. If you choose to parade your childrens medical history then thats a matter for your conciense. I won’t partake in cheap games with a stranger regarding my daughters personal and private medical notes. There’s a reason why Doctors are supposed to keep case notes anonymous and private you know. I’ve stated elsewhere that I have scientific evidence that has satisfied me that mercury played no part in my daughters autism and thats as far as I’m willing to go. If you seriously believe I plan to quote you chapter and verse on private medical case notes then you are labouring under a misapprehension. I’ve no doubt this won’t satisfy you but frankly I don’t care – it satisified _us_ and thats all that matters.

My ‘problem with all this’ is that it simply isn’t true. There has been no credible studies indicating a causative link. The only study that came close to establishing a link was plagued by so many errors that the authors (the Geiers whom you incorrectly state are both Doctors – only Geier Senior is) drew official rebukes. None of their peers would review their study and they failed to properly declare their methods thus making their results non-transparent and non reproducable. This is science so shoddy its laughable.

However, you started to really make me angry when you said:

“give her a chance for a better life”

My daughter – who you don’t know – you feel perfectly within your rights to judge as having a terrible life. Your arrogance is incredible. Who are you to judge my daughter in this way? It may amaze you to know that my daughter is by and large a happy, confident little girl. She’s making great progress without the need for some glorified skin cream like TD DPMS. She recieves valid interventions and lots of input from us, her parents and her support workers on a daily basis. I wouldn’t change one iota of my daughter or who she is.

The only problem autism suffers from is people such as yourself and JB Handley who think they know all the facts and are arrogant enough to think that questions about other peoples children and their medical histories are appropriate.

Autism is not only mercury poisoning and the continued perpetuation of the lie that it is belittles autism and will only serve to make it harder for parents to get valid interventions that actually will help. That JB handley stands in the way of that and that people like yourself not only approve but support this goes beyond shameful.

22. Kim Ii June 23, 2005 at 03:05 #

I have had just a brief moment today to view this blog. Kevin, I feel incredibly sorry for you. Words fail me.

You have a nice life…and I wish your daughter all the best for a healthy and happy life.

23. JB Handley June 27, 2005 at 16:27 #

Hi Keith:

I respect that you let people on both sides of this blog post here – that says a lot so I have chosen to respond.

My son Jamison is 2 yrs, 10 months old. Since we began chelation therapy with him in October 2004, he has improved dramatically: eye contact up 1000-fold, receptive language nearing age appropriate, 100+ words from mute, interested in other children for the first time, and, perhaps most importantly, so much healthier.

Keith, these children are sick, physically sick. If your daughter is not physically sick, count yourself extremely lucky. They need medical attention to address the wide range of symptoms many share: gastrointestinal distress, impaired immune system function, sleep disturbances, and food allergies and sensitivities to name a few.

Generation Rescue has more than 200 families that have volunteered to help other families. We have almost 50 testimonials posted from parents. We have a list of 300 doctors ready to treat these kids. We receive postitive feedback from parents who have begun to treat their kids because of our website every single day. Mate, do you really think we are all crazy? Do you think I am doing this for some reason other than to help kids? (If you do, you are misguided).

You are obviosuly a smart guy. How a child can get injected with 125x the safe level of mercury and NOT be impacted is beyond me. DO you really think no damage was done here? If so, why does my son Jamison test positive for mercury poisoning?

I am happy to show the world my son’s private medical records. In my opinion, this is how we show other parents what is true so they have the same chance I am having to see their child improve.

God Bless,

JB Handley

parent to Jamison

24. Kev June 28, 2005 at 13:40 #

Read my letter again JB. My sole issue with your organisation is its erroneous insistence that autism is *only* mercury poisoning. Autism has been around longer than mercury has been used in commercial environments. That in itself is enough to spike your argument in anyone without an axe to grind.

25. Seeking July 7, 2005 at 04:40 #

“In answer to your direct questions. No I have not read every page of EoH. However, everything I dispute on here I have read. I dispute nothing that I haven’t read. Yes I have thoroughly researched the thimerosal/autism causative connection. There is none.”

Are you honestly saying that because you haven’t read anything that convinces you that there is no thimerosal/autism causative connection, that there is none? That is quite a statement.

Particulary since CDC Director Julie Gerberding would not make the same conclusive statement at a hearing before the Labor-HHS Appropriations Subcommittee in 2004. Said definitively that she could not make that statement.

Or that NIH-funded research published in April of this year documents the lack of research on thimerosal’s toxicity and its developmental side effects.

Quite an “erroneous insistence,” as some have said?

26. Kev July 7, 2005 at 04:45 #

“Are you honestly saying that because you haven’t read anything that convinces you that there is no thimerosal/autism causative connection, that there is none? That is quite a statement”

Then let me temper it – there is none as of right now. I’ve got nothing against further research in this area within reason but at the moment, there is none.

27. HN July 7, 2005 at 05:54 #

Sigh… it seems that folks are taking the title of that paper and running with it… without even looking at the conclusion. From http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/7712/7712.pdf there is this sentence: “The current study indicates that MeHg is not a suitable reference for risk assessment from exposure to thimerosal derived Hg.”

28. Seeking July 7, 2005 at 17:52 #

Sigh…from much further into the paper than the title, HN:

“Recent publications have proposed a direct link between the use of thimerosal containing vaccines and the significant rise in the number of children being diagnosed
    with autism, a serious and prevalent developmental disorder (for review, see IOM 2001). Results from an initial Institute of Medicine (IOM) review of the safety of vaccines found
    that there was not sufficient evidence to render an opinion on the relationship between ethylmercury exposure and developmental disorders in children (IOM 2001). The IOM
    review did, however, note the possibility of such a relationship and recommended further studies be conducted. A recently published second IOM review (IOM 2004) appears to have abandoned the earlier recommendation as well as back away from the American
    Academy of Pediatrics goal. This approach is difficult to understand, given our current limited knowledge of the toxicokinetics and developmental neurotoxicity of thimerosal, a compound that has been (and will continue to be) injected in millions of newborns and infants.”

End quote. As noted, the study makes the point that there is not enough research to merit an abandonment of the studies into the relationship.

That’s the problem with this whole issue. Neither side can say definitively that it’s position is correct. So neither side should until they can!

29. HN July 7, 2005 at 18:23 #

And yet the studies of thousands of children in the UK and Denmark still point to the fact that even kids who do not get thimerosal or even the MMR vaccine still have autism in the same rates as elsewhere. Especially since the definition of autism has changed so much over the past two decades.

So more research is needed… in the genetics and in the neurodevelopmental therapies — not loony toon “chelation” creams.

30. VJ W July 9, 2005 at 03:48 #

Mr Leitch,

I applaud your letter. This is the first time I have gone to check out the postings and related links to Generation Rescue and am appalled at the vehement and downright “cultist” presence there.

Background:
    Our 3 yr old grandson has been diagnosed with autism and we are treating him with GF/CF, also sugar & yeast free and some, but not yet all of the nutritional supplements that are used with the DAN! protocol, and finding a steady, day by day emergence of the child underneath the autistic symptoms. Will we chelate him? yes, likely, once as many of the issues in his condition have been resolved as is possible without it.

Now, I can say for certainty, at least within our own family, while thimerosal may be a contributing factor in the severity of Elijah’s condition, it is, by no means, the only cause of the symptoms and conditions of autism and definitely there is an inheritable tendency to develop the symptoms.

In our family, as we have become more and more immersed in the biomedical approach, read the research and searched for answers, we have found that EVERY single person with 1/4 or more shared genetic material is affected with symptoms ranging in severity and combination. This includes: food allergies & sensitivities, anaphylactic responses to animals, insects and medications, depression, OCB, mood disorders, anxiety, sensory integration issues, apraxia, dispraxia, ADD/ADHD, Asperger’s, PDD, dyslexia, diabetes, hypoglycemia, night blindness, thyroid problems, heart fibrillation & arrhythmias, metabolic syndrome, Crohn’s disease, IBS, constipation, diarrhea, aggression, alcoholism, substance abuse, nicotine addiction, compulsive spending, gambling, tics, social cognition deficits, social functioning deficits and inability to function in any “normal” living situation.

Some family members are into the DAN! protocols just to get rid of brain fog and be able to get through day to day living, others refuse to acknowledge there is a connection and do nothing. Some have improved with increasing vitamin supplements, others improved with just eliminating gluten & dairy. Some can document mercury exposure from environmental sources, some from occupational sources, some from vaccines preceding the onset of the most severely debilitating symptoms. Others have had no substantial mercury exposure (mostly the females), but the symptoms increased at the onset of menopause and improved with restoring the lost estrogen.

Elijah’s mother, unfortunately, despite her compliance with what I tell her to do with him, adamantly refuses to even try the diet for herself (take Zoloft for anxiety, struggles with ADD and dyslexia, has tics, spends compulsively) or her other son (give him an ice cream cone or a sugar drink and watch the aggression appear, followed by lethargy, he also is dyslexic) because she simply cannot “live” without the opiates.

She has been reading at the Generation Rescue site for some time now, and repeatedly asks when we will begin chelation without stringently following the other nutritional corrections necessary to make chelation as effective as possible (if needed).

What she, and apparently many others do not understand is that IF THE METABOLISM IS FUNCTIONING, chelation will occur. The body does this naturally. Even when the body burden is high, and needs assistance in beginning the clearing process, the ultimate goal is to keep the body functions in a self-chelating mode so the overwhelming symptoms don’t return.

The idea of chelation as a magic bullet for a single series of assaults (from whatever source) is simply absurd. Those who subscribe to such a notion fail to realize how close that idea is to the binge/purge methodology of dieting.

The “harm” you describe in your letter is real. I see how my daughter wants this magic bullet to take care of her son’s condition so he can keep having all the junk food she wants to serve him.

I know there are those already foaming at the mouth (or itching at the keyboard) to tell me a thing or two, so perhaps I should add the “kicker” to this rather long narration:

My husband, genetically unrelated, had an auto accident 20 years ago resulting in the surgical removal of the terminal ileum (the area of the small intestine affected in autistic children). Some 8 years prior, he had heavy dioxin exposure in Vietnam. Over time, he has developed MOST of the symptoms and could easily be diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome. He went on the diet and supplements with me and has had the same dramatic improvements that we are seeing in Elijah. He, fortunately for us, is able to give a personal narrative about the physical and mental improvements that are occurring, as well as an accurate description of his physical discomfort when he ingests an offending substance.

I call this the “kicker” because it demonstrates that there does not need to be either a mercury or a genetic connection, but there DOES need to be the right combination of metabolic disruption. Even if the offending substances are removed, chelation gives no protection against further assault. Chelation does not JUST remove mercury, it removes many other harmful substances from disrupted organisms…any one or combination thereof which may be the substance responsible for an individual’s condition and still readily available in the environment after chelation.

A far more reasonable and reasoned approach to the treatment of autistic symptoms is necessary that just trying to shoot a magic bullet. You are correct that the information offered may be misleading.

I would also like to postulate that the vehement reactions and responses found in the postings are driven by altered mental processes in the relatives of the severely affected children who also are experiencing some of the effects of the environment they share or provide their children.

Not being informed on the biological processes involved can be dangerous. The implication of thimerosal, the (now) implication of Augmentin, the beginnings of data collection on full families instead of just the children, the cross-over into many MANY other physical and mental conditions in adults, the synergies that exist today that push exposures into the danger zone all deserve, if not demand as much attention and rational consideration as any ONE isolated therapy.

Hopefully rational and rigorous thinking and accurate information availability will occur. We are all in this together. The biggest danger lies in following the restricted path of information that drug companies and food producers follow. We are no better than they are if potentials are discounted or dismissed out-of-hand.

31. HN July 9, 2005 at 21:02 #

And still there is no scientific or medical basis that shows chelation is good for anything except lead poisoning.

If you have documentation to the contrary, please show where it is indexed on http://www.pubmed.gov (and remember that lawyer funded research from the Geiers, Wakefield and others will be looked at with suspicion).

And there absolutely no real evidence that the TD-DMPS has any effect at all… especially since there is no documentation that it is even absorbed into the skin. There is a reason that Rashid Buttar has not published in a peer-reviewed journal, had any of his papers indexed on http://www.pubmed.gov, nor had his “great result” independently replicated — it is because it would cut into his sales of his “Buttar Cream”.

32. Kim Ii July 10, 2005 at 22:25 #

Comments such as “Buttar Cream,” are as rude as my apparent typing ability when it comes to typing “Kevin” when I should have typed “Keith.” My apologies…

(We go through this all the time with our last name…frustrating when someone just can’t get your name right, isn’t it?)

33. Kim Ii July 10, 2005 at 23:27 #

First, there is no double-blind, placebo-controlled study to show Thimerosal is safe. In order to do an effective double-blind, placebo-controlled study, you would need to vaccinate a group of children with Thimerosal-containing vaccines and vaccinate another group of children with Thimerosal-free vaccines using the current vaccine schedule, then follow their development over a 2-4 year period, and see which ones develop neurological issues and which do not. Obviously, this would be a challenging study to recruit children for, “Your child will be part of a study where they may receive a vaccine with a substance in it that many believe causes autism. Would you like to participate?” Given the impracticality of such a study, here are some alternative studies that could be done:

1. You could analyze the data the government maintains through its “Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System” and compare the data they already have on children who received Thimerosal-containing vaccines against children who did not receive Thimerosal in their vaccines. This study has already been done by Mark & David Geier and showed a high correlation between Thimerosal dosing and neurological disorders:

Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons
    Mark Geier, M.D., Ph.D., David A. Geier
    Spring 2003

2. You could compare the symptoms of mercury poisoning and the symptoms of autism and see how similar they are. This study has already been done and demonstrated that the symptoms of autism and the symptoms of mercury poisoning are exactly the same:

Autism: a Novel Form of Mercury Poisoning
    Medical Hypothesis 2001
    Sally Bernard, et. al
    December 2000

3. You could administer a chelating agent to remove heavy metals, including mercury, to a group of autistic children and to a group of neurotypical children and measure the amount of mercury coming out of the children to see if there are any differences. This study has already been done by Jeff Bradstreet et.al. and showed that autistic children excrete significantly more mercury than neurotypical children:

Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Volume 8, Number 3
    Summer 2003;

Myth #15: The scientific standard for proof is a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. If you are so sure mercury causes autism, where is this study to prove it? (cont.)

4. You could inject a group of mice with Thimerosal in doses that proportionally mimic the timing and amount received according to the recommended vaccination schedule and compare these mice to a control group for neurological development. This study has already been done by Mady Hornig et al. and showed that a subset of mice with genetic detoxification impairments who received Thimerosal injections developed “autistic symptoms”:

Neurotoxic Effects of Postnatal Thimerosal are Mouse Strain Dependent
    Molecular Psychiatry
    Dr. Mady Hornig, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
    May 2004

5. You could compare the first baby haircuts of autistic children versus neurotypical children to see if there are any differences in the patterns of heavy metal excretion (hair is one of the ways the body excretes metals). This study has already been done and showed that autistic children demonstrated an impaired ability to excrete metals from birth:

Reduced Levels of Mercury in First Baby Haircuts of Autistic Children
    International Journal of Toxicology
    Dr. Amy S. Holmes, Mark F. Blaxill, Boyd E. Haley, Ph.D.br>March 14, 2003

6. You could run a trial of 31 autistic children where you chelated patients over the course of twelve months and had parents videotape their children and test urine and fecal samples for toxic metals every other month. You could then compare the children’s progress and symptoms from the beginning to the end of treatment. This study was done by Dr. Rashid Buttar and he made the following statement before Congress:

Autism, the Misdiagnosis of our Future Generations
    Testimony, U.S. Congressional Sub-Committee Hearing
    Rashid A. Buttar, DO, Vice Chairman, American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology
    May 6, 2004

“The Autism study consisted of 31 patients with the diagnoses of autism, autism like spectrum, and pervasive developmental delay. Inclusion criteria was simple, including an independent diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions from either a neurologist or pediatrician, and the desire of the parent to try the treatment protocol using TD-DMPS. All patients were enrolled sequentially as they presented to the clinic and only those who did not wish to participate in the TD-DMPS were not included.

All 31 patients were tested for metal toxicity using four different tests: urine metal toxicity and essential minerals, hair metal toxicity and essential minerals, RBC metal toxicity, and fecal metal toxicity, all obtained from Doctor’s Data Laboratory. These tests were performed at baseline, and repeated at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 8 months, 10 months, 12 months, and then every 4 months there after. All 31 patients showed little or no level of mercury on the initial baseline test results. Slide #37 shows an example of a baseline test result of one participant in the study showing very little mercury.

(…continued)

Compared to the baseline results all 31 patients showed significantly higher levels of mercury as treatment continued. Slide #39 shows significantly higher mercury levels in this same study patient after two months of treatment with the TD-DMPS, with results showing approximately a 350% increase from previous baseline levels. The improvements in the patients in the study correlated with increased yield in measured mercury levels upon subsequent testing. Essentially, what was noted was that as more mercury was eliminated, the more noticeable the clinical improvements and the more dramatic the change in the patient.

The manifestations of this evidence for clinical improvements included many observations but were specifically quantifiable with some patients who had no prior history of speech starting to speak at the age of 6 or 7, sometimes in full sentences. Patients also exhibited substantially improved behavior, reduction and eventual cessation of all stemming behavior, return of full eye contact, and rapid potty training, sometimes in children that were 5 or 6 but had never been successfully potty trained. Additional findings reported by parents included improvement and increase in rate of physical growth increased, as well as the child beginning to follow instructions, becoming affectionate and social with siblings or other children, seeking interaction with others, appropriate in response, and a rapid acceleration of verbal skills. The results in many of these children has been documented on video and other physicians involved with this protocol have been successfully able to reproduce the same results.

Mercury is the “spark” that causes the “fires” of Autism as well as Alzheimer’s. Autism is the result of high mercury exposure early in life versus Alzheimer’s is a chronic accumulation of mercury over a life time. A doctor can treat ALL the “fires” but until the “spark” is removed, there is minimal hope of complete recovery with most improvements being transient at best. However, once the process of mercury removal has been effectively started, the damage is curtailed and full recovery becomes possible…”

7. You could remove the mercury from some autistic children and not remove mercury from other autistic children and see if there was any difference in cognitive improvement over time. This is what hundreds of doctors and thousands of parents are doing every day throughout the country right now and seeing their children recover.

34. HN July 11, 2005 at 03:47 #

None of those show that the Td-DMPS has any effect. Also the Hornig study is in mice… and how can you tell a mouse is autistic? The others are by folks who are paid by lawyers to testify… not acceptible as evidence.

So where has Buttar shown conclusively that his cream does anything? Where has it been replicated by an independent group?

35. Kim Ii July 11, 2005 at 04:56 #

Are you asking for me to do your research for you? Look it up! There are all sources of information re: Buttar, etc. I started doing my vaccine research almost eleven years ago, sans a computer/Internet…public and/or medical libraries. Evidence of Harm is also a great source of information re: Buttar, etc. Generation Rescue has a great many links and reading material. Don’t kill the messengers…just read the materials…and judge for yourself.

36. Kim Ii July 11, 2005 at 05:02 #

…alright, here’s one link…http://commons.ucalgary.ca/mercury/

…this is a videostreamfeed…shows how toxic mercury is…from the university of calgary..

37. Kim Ii July 11, 2005 at 05:05 #

May 6, 2004

If you do not trust THIS MAN’S opinion, whose would you trust? Vice Chairman, American Board of CLINICAL METAL TOXICOLOGY…I don’t know…seems as though he should know SOMETHING about metals/toxicity…no?

38. HN July 11, 2005 at 05:23 #

Okay, I have looked at each of your links… they do NOT show that chelation is helpful, or even that thimerosal is a difinitive cause of austism.

Papers and research sponsered by SafeMinds is not going to be acceptible. Also, if you check out http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/index.php?p=241 you will see that it seems that Kirby (or at least his website) has some connection to SafeMinds.

Here is a response to each one:

1.Thimerosal in Childhood Vaccines, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, and Heart Disease in the United States
    Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons
    Mark Geier, M.D., Ph.D., David A. Geier
    Spring 2003
    This is NOT indexed by http://www.pubmed.gov, possibly because the “American Physicians and Surgeons” group is more a political (libertarian) group than a scientific one. Also the Geiers are owners of a company, MedCon, which is legal consulting firm. According to http://www.casewatch.org/fdawarning/rsch/geierk.shtml and http://www.aap.org/profed/thimaut-may03.htm have been shown to be lousy researchers,.

2: Autism: a Novel Form of Mercury Poisoning
    Medical Hypothesis 2001
    Sally Bernard, et. al
    December 2000
    Has this REVIEW in “Medical HYPOTHESIS” been replicated?…(it is a review, not a study).. it seems that the studies of several hundred thousands of children in several countries runs counter to this HYPOTHESIS (a hypothesis is an educated guess… after this was done there were several studies that basically said… NO. These include http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/114/3/577, http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/5/1039, and http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/3/604 )

3: A Case-Control Study of Mercury Burden in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder
    Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Volume 8, Number 3
    Summer 2003;
    This is also NOT indexed by http://www.pubmed.gov... See the reasons in #1 above. Also, Bradstreet and Kartzinel are more than willing to sell their products to scared parents, http://briandeer.com/wakefield/wakefield-quack.htm .

4: Neurotoxic Effects of Postnatal Thimerosal are Mouse Strain Dependent
    Molecular Psychiatry
    Dr. Mary Hornig, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
    May 2004
    Paid by Safemind, and not applicable to children since they are not mice. Also, no one quite knows how to determine if a mouse is autistic.

5: Reduced Levels of Mercury in First Baby Haircuts of Autistic Children
    International Journal of Toxicology
    Dr. Amy S. Holmes, Mark F. Blaxill, Boyd E. Haley, Ph.D.br>March 14, 2003
    Paid by Safemind… (and not quite what they expected)

6: Autism, the Misdiagnosis of our Future Generations
    Testimony, U.S. Congressional Sub-Committee Hearing
    May 6, 2004

Congressional testimony is not acceptible evidence. It has not been replicated… nor has it even been reviewed by people who know what they are doing (in other word, the congressmen are not educated in science).

39. Kev July 11, 2005 at 06:17 #

Thats right Kim, no. Buttar is a fraud. The American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicology is simply a loose conglomeration of chelationists. Their ‘board’ is not recognosed by the American Medical Association. Its simply what they choose to call themselves. I could call myself the American Board of Expert Thimerosal Removalists if I so chose to.

If you believe someones authentic just because they have a posh name then you’re just the sort of customer Buttar loves.

I’d also ask you again to look through my site thoroughly before posting. *All* the points you make here have been refuted repeatedly.

40. HN July 12, 2005 at 00:01 #

About the mouse study by Hornig (registration may be required, but it is free) is this article, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/480683 … here are some selected quotes:
    ‘”This type of study, while certainly interesting, in no way substitutes for actual human evidence,” IOM panelist Steven Goodman, MD, MHS, PhD, an associate professor of oncology and epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, told Medscape. “We don’t have an animal model for autism and we don’t understand exactly what causes autism or what its exact pathophysiology is in humans. So we don’t understand it completely in either system at the moment, and we certainly don’t understand to what extent one is a model for the other.”‘

and:

‘According to Dr. McCormick, the IOM committee recommended that “available funding for autism research be channeled to the most promising areas, of which the link with vaccines does not appear to be one.” However, they did recommend continued surveillance of autistic spectrum disorder as exposure to thimerosal declined. ‘

There are many more facets to child development research areas than autism… and there are an extraordinary number of NON-vaccine related studies on autism. Many of these being the genetics, other environmental factors PLUS several types of neurodevelomental and educational therapies (therapies that do not involve ingesting more chemicals nor having creams applied to the child).

41. Daisy Cintron August 16, 2005 at 20:17 #

You are right to say that the cause of Autism is not only mercury. There are probably other factors involved. But I have to say, that I have done a lot of research on this subject and I have to tell you that it seems to be the leading cause. One can get mercury poisoning even if they never got one vaccination, regardless if they live in rural Scotland. If you have eaten any kind of fish, canned or fresh, than you have been exposed to mercury, if you have gotten any flu shot you have been exposed. Many prescription drugs have them. Batteries contain them, so if you have played outside in the dirt or have a vegetable garden and someone disposed of a battery improperly, you have been exposed. That is also how water can get contaminated. There are a myriad of ways that you can be exposed to mercury without even knowing it.

Getting tested for mercury is very tricky as our bones absorb it and release it at different times. Unless you get tested close to the time you were exposed, it may not show up in your blood or hair since the mercury will probably be stored in your bones and released at a different time than your test date.

A word about chelation. It is a mixture of the right vitamins, minerals, herbs and whole foods that will detoxify your body and take any exposure to toxins out of your system. It has never and will never harm a person, unless what you read about was some quack putting more toxins into the person he/she was chelating. In that case that was not chelation at all. If anything, chelation will make a person healthier not kill them. I say go to a naturopathic doctor and find out more about it. Your daughter deserves that at least.

Besides, you can not compare the time you were growing up to today. We live in a much more complicated time compared to even twenty years ago and it’s getting worse as people invent things to sell us. And don’t tell me that the government will weed out the bad stuff because they aren’t and they won’t. Let’s be open minded and educated for our children’s sake.

I would like to receive a response to this message (positive or negative). If you really are trying to help your daughter than you will at least listen to my advice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message and good luck.

Daisy

42. Kev August 16, 2005 at 22:26 #

“There are probably other factors involved. But I have to say, that I have done a lot of research on this subject and I have to tell you that it seems to be the leading cause.”

I’ve also done a lot of research and I’ve found no evidence to back up thimerosal in vaccines as a causative of autism. Maybe you could post your evidence?

“I say go to a naturopathic doctor and find out more about it. Your daughter deserves that at least.”

I have no idea what a ‘naturopathic’ doctor is. I suspect however that its a Doctor who never spent 7 years at school and decided to stick the word ‘naturopathic’ in front of the word ‘doctor’.

Aha, here’s The British Naturopathic Association. They say:

“Naturopathy is an approach to health care which aims to promote, restore and maintain health.”

Great. As oppose to those nasty non-Naturopath Doctors who want to kill everyone. Naturopaths believe in:

“the Healing Power of Nature or Vis Medicatrix Naturae: There is a ‘vital force’ or ‘life force’ which drives the self-healing or self-correcting mechanisms of the body;”

Right. Heaing power of nature. Life force. No thanks.

What my daughter deserves is to recieve interventions that are properly researched and which we, her parents, decide are appropriate. What she _doesn’t_ need is to become somebodies guinea pig. I assume you have a plethora of data on the long term effects of Chelation as a treatment on child autistics? Maybe you could share that peer reviewed data with me?

43. HN August 17, 2005 at 02:47 #

“Lots of research”?

I’ve done lots of research in the past 14 years since my son was diagnosed with a speech disorder which may or may not be related to neo-natal convulsions. I usually stick to publications where the author’s CV can be verified to actually be related to the subject matter they are writing about. That means ignoring studies by financial analysists on biochemistry… and giving more weight to the opinions of speech language pathologists than economists on childhood language development. (Though it is not perfect, I checked out one study where the gist of is was to determine if voice disorders, ie. hoarse voices in girls and high-pitched in boys, was an indication of problems of sexual identity).

In online groups that I participated in more than the last decade (starting in a “Disability Forum” on Compuserve) I have heard LOTS of bizarre things that were touted to be research. Some are usually big ol’ guesses (like one grandmother wondering if the “back to sleep” to prevent SIDS was a cause).

I have also heard of lots of bizarre treatments… chelation is just one of the latest to come by (anyone remember ‘neo-linguistic programming”?… it and Brain Gym are off shoots of Doman Delcato).

What is really fun is when proponents of these treatments come online to tell us their favorite “research”… usually giving us a link to their practice. That along with the purveyers of expensive soap trying to scaremonger parents to by into their MLM system.

Now there is a new one. In a disability group that is NOT for autism, but for something that may be a co-morbid symptom… a parent disparaged me for saying mercury was NOT cause of my son’s seizures. That chelation was curing her child’s speech disabilty. Turns out that a little research revealed this person was working with Jeff Bradstreet (one of the guys who sells chelation and supplements)… and that she claimed her child was austistic. It seems some of these chelation folks are now signing onto to OTHER disability forums to promote their products. ugh.

44. Susan R January 16, 2006 at 08:38 #

In my view the Naturopathy is an approach to health care which aims to promote ,restore and maintain health.

45. HN February 9, 2006 at 00:38 #

Susan R and Carmen are both spammers. They post nothing in regard to the content, yet their webpages indicate sales sites.

46. Matthew Pearson February 13, 2006 at 13:48 #

Kevin Leitch,

Dear God, what a phatetic little creature you are. It’s just amazing that with all the good independent science that have been done the last decade that some are still hanging on the junk science from the corrupt US and UK Health officals and the pharmacetuical industry. And that your even have a autistic daughter almost make it to a comedy.
    Kev… Cows can fly do you know that… they can fly!!!!!

47. Kev February 13, 2006 at 14:30 #

Matthew – dictionary.com is your friend.

Show me this good independent science that proves a link between thiomersal and autism Matt. If you invested as much time in critically appraising the science as you do on your amusing insults then you might get somewhere.

Over to you Matt.

48. C. Bergman March 18, 2006 at 11:35 #

You know the old saying: “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.” The symptoms are the same as those of mercury poisoning. If not mercury, perhaps another outside agent is involved. You don’t have an oubreak as vast and world wide as so-called autism in the same generation from a “genetic factor.” It’s rather like the black plague.

49. Kev March 18, 2006 at 13:24 #

_”The symptoms are the same as those of mercury poisoning”_

No they’re not. Show me where the symptoms of mercury poisoning match the diagnostic criteria for autism.

And yes I have read ‘Mercury: A Novel Form of Mercury Poisoning’. Its rubbish.