Autistic Pride Day: Us

19 Jun

So what did we do for Autistic Pride Day?

Well, basically we did all the things that Meggy loves to do. First of all we went down to Sainsburys so Meggy could have a bloody good sing in a really echoey environment (song of choice: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, once I caught a fish alive…)

When we got back we indulged her passion for DVD’s and basically gave her the remote and let her pick and choose whatever she wanted (age appropriate of course!).

Next up we went into the garden where Anthony (my NT 12yo son) and Meg indulged in Megan’s biggest love – water play. Megan would _live_ in water if we’d let her and its our ambition if we ever win the lottery to get a house with a wet room. She splashes so much in our current bathroom that it comes through the Kitchen ceiling so a wet room would be ideal. But for now this is the next best thing – outside in the garden with the tap on and a good natured brother to soak as occasion demands.

We had a great day all round, if you were marking the day, we all hope you did too. And next time someone starts banging on about the ‘hell’ of autism or how autism is ‘the enemy’ show them this post. We had a great day immersing ourselves in Megan’s world but most importantly, Megan did too.

7 Responses to “Autistic Pride Day: Us”

1. Camille June 19, 2005 at 03:13 #

Oh my goodness.

I got all teary eyed.

You’re children are beautiful.

Thanks for being such an outstanding father and thanks to your wife for being such an outstanding mother, too.

I spent the day blogging on the autism “epdiemic”. I should go outside! And flap. And find a sparkly fountain to stare at then splash in.

Camille

2. Matt Robin June 19, 2005 at 04:08 #

What a lovely post Kev – and nice pic of your kids having some fun with the water. It was really warm in the UK today – so this must’ve been perfect!
    (Me: I tried to work on a tan before I got brain-fried by the sun!)
    Megan sounds like a lucky girl to have such a supportive and loving family. 🙂

I hope other people will read your post and that it reminds them just because someone has Autism – it doesn’t mean they can’t have a great time.

It seems like the rest of you liked her ‘special day’ too.

3. Matthew Pennell June 19, 2005 at 09:41 #

Cool – wish we had one of those outside taps in the back garden; instead I have to trek through the house with a million buckets of water to fill up the paddling pool…

4. Kev June 19, 2005 at 17:21 #

Thanks Camille :o)

We had a great day all round – the warm weather aded to the sense of occassion and althoug we never got around to going to the Park we still had a good time.

Matt – one word: Hose! ;o)

5. Matt Setchell June 19, 2005 at 18:23 #

Sounds better then my day in comet. Glad to see Meg and Anthony had a good day 🙂

6. Amy Nelson June 19, 2005 at 20:04 #

Kev, it was lovely to see how you spent APD with your family 🙂
    The kids sure look happy!
    Camille I love fountains too, and waterfalls, there’s something so magical about the way they move.

7. bonni June 22, 2005 at 04:08 #

I didn’t know there was an Autistic Pride Day. Next time it comes around, we’ll do something fun to celebrate it, though. Can’t do the waterplay, it’s the middle of winter here in Oz. 🙂