Terrorism – Yawn.

7 Jul

I don’t live in London but half of my family live around London and a lot of my friends do too. A lot of people I don’t know too well but respect the shit out of also live and/or work there too as well as a whole load of people I don’t know and have never/will never meet. It seems somebody(ies) take exception to that and felt that today was the opportune moment to try and remove them from existence. In approaching (so far) 40 cases, they succeeded.

I’ve spoken to the vast majority of people I care about who I know were in London today, including a close friend who I know gets the bus on the Marble Arch route that the decimated double decker takes so, with a few exceptions I know my people are safe.

Personally I couldn’t give a shit which of the self-centered moronic groups failed to impress anyone today. Possibly it was Osama and his terribly amusing upper-middle class revolution. Or maybe it was the ‘real’ IRA, or ETA, or anyone of a number of other human scum, does anyone really care? I don’t. I don’t think the British people do. You lack the balls to argue your case so resort to attacking civilians. This demonstrates both the lack of your intellect and the weakness of your position.

Whoever you are you need to face this: you took your best shot and came up woefully short. You attacked a country that single handedly repelled the might of the Luftwaffe 60 years ago and who not only prevented an invasion but who took the fight to Europe. What will happen next is this: we’ll honour and celebrate the lives of our dead, then we’ll bury them and then we’ll go on with our lives without worrying about you or your inadequacies. We lived through the best the IRA had to offer for over 30 years. Whatever made you think anything _you_ could do would impress us?

We’ll be back up and running by next week, moaning about work, getting pissed at the weekends, taking the piss out of the French, sneering at the idea of being productive and not giving a shit what you or anyone else thinks. We’ll have 40 or so more names to add to honour at days of national celebration and thats that. And thats the thing you hate the most isn’t it? Being ignored? You desire fear and legitimacy right? Well sorry, we don’t really do that here. All you’ve really done is united us in a way we haven’t been united for quite a long time. Now shhhh, go play somewhere else and leave the democracy for the grown ups.

10 Responses to “Terrorism – Yawn.”

1. Rebecca July 7, 2005 at 23:06 #

Quite.

Nicely said, Mr Leith!

2. Alyric July 8, 2005 at 01:31 #

Hi kev

That was my impression from watching the BBC last night – the one thing the idiot brigade did not get was any visceral reaction – way to go folks! But then they wouldn’t would they? – all very organised and orderly and they’ve been there, done that many times before. As you say, neither the might of the Luftwaffe or the lunatic fringe of the IRA had any impact. A very interesting interview with Michael Hutchens (?sp) this morning – his view is forget about this being an attack on ‘civilisation’ – this is an islamic civil war – they hate the Moslems living with music, girls and representational pictures even more than the infidel – us. Interesting point, I thought.

Hope Tabby et al are well and damn glad your nearest and dearest are OK

Cheers

Al

3. Camille Clark July 8, 2005 at 02:49 #

Funny thing, one of the first things I thought was the impact this would have on all the autistics who dearly love the London underground and the trasportation system in general. I would think it would terrorize them.

It made me sad to think about that. Of course, it’s much more sad for the people who lost family members, no doubt plenty who were non-Anglo if the bus had a random sample of Londoners.

Like Al, I’m glad your family is safe.

4. Prabhath Sirisena July 8, 2005 at 08:23 #

Terrorism? That’s a part of our lives in Sri Lanka. It’s been a few years since the last bomb went off in Colombo, but who knows when the next attack is?

5. Toxie July 8, 2005 at 14:52 #

Rather stiff upper lip British of you there Kev

6. Kev July 8, 2005 at 22:17 #

I have my moments mate ;o)

7. Matt Robin July 9, 2005 at 17:16 #

Good post Kev – nicely echoing the sentiments many Londoners and Brits have been expressing since Thursday.

I have three words for the terrorists:

“COWARDS NEVER WIN!”
    ————————————–
    Which words can really do justice to these senseless acts of moronic violence? The innocent victims deserve our deepest sympathies and the terrorists deserve no respect. I used to live in London (where I’m from originally) – and I can remember the constant threat of the IRA bombing campaigns plaguing the city for many years. On one occaision, the ‘Harrods Bomb’ in 1983 actually went off only about 5 minutes after I’d been in that exact spot where it occurred! But at least those blasts, devasting as they were, had warnings (of sorts)…today’s bombings had no warnings at all.

If the terrorists think that something like this will bring London to
    its knees – they are wrong.
    If they think it will ruin the G8 talks – they are also wrong.

These terrorists are nothing but cowards and murderers and should be treated accordingly. Our lives will continue inspite of these events and we’ll be more united than before against these idiots.

Matt Robin

8. Matt Robin July 9, 2005 at 17:20 #

Footnote for Kev: If the bombings occurred next week, on the same day of the week, at the same time of day, then I would have been on one of the trains involved in the blasts.

So I think I was a bit lucky this time. Deepest respects to those who weren’t so fortunate and their families.

9. Matt Robin July 9, 2005 at 17:24 #

Link:

My friend on Preople, David Petherick, set up this site quickly on Thursday for (quote) …”sympathy, contact and condolences following the terrible London bombing tragedy which took place on the 7th of July 2005.”

Feel free to promote this non-commercial site if you want to.

10. Ecks Ridgehead July 11, 2005 at 08:42 #