The Judge Rotenberg Center

26 May

As we tootle about our lives we are sometimes unaware of the full horror of the human experience and how barbarity often exists justs out of sight. For people who are adjudged as needing to receive ‘treatments’, barbarity is in plain sight all the time.

The Judge Rotenberg Centre (note the happy colours) describes itself as:

The Judge Rotenberg Educational Center (JRC) is a special needs school in Canton, Massachusetts serving both higher-functioning students with conduct, behavior, emotional, and/or psychiatric problems and lower-functioning students with autistic-like behaviors

Wait for the animated gif to revolve a few times. Note the happy faces of the students. Note the lovely grounds.

The JRC achieves its results by administering an electric shock to its students when they are in need of corrective action. Students carry around backpacks to ensure they are close to the source of the corrective action. The device/process is called ‘GED’ – Graduated Electronic Decelerator.

Massachusetts Division of Public Licensure is investigating reports of burns to the skin of at least one student. A former worker claimed that JRC staff failed to move the electrodes each day as required to keep from burning the boy’s skin. Director Matthew Israel states that:

Our skin shock device does not cause burns when it is applied. Very, very occasionally, a device might cause a superficial mark on the skin, from which the skin recovers quickly.

Source

A ‘superficial mark’. Right. I guess ‘superficial’ might be in the eye of the beholder Mr Israel. Or, in this case, the skin of a young man.

The JRC also has an interesting take on diet – from its ‘foods to avoid’ section:

1. Avoid all red meat, including beef, pork, and lamb. All are rich in fat, cholesterol, and other harmful constituents.
2. Avoid all poultry and fish. Poultry has about the same amount of cholesterol as red meat, while fish varies, depending on type. Some fish are higher in cholesterol than red meat, others lower.
3. Avoid all dairy products, including milk, yogurt and cheese. Low-fat dairy products are not recommended because of potential health hazards including allergies, childhood diabetes, arthritis and lactose intolerance.
4. Avoid all oil, including olive, safflower, peanut and corn oil. Oil is simply a liquid form of fat.
5. Avoid eggs. Eggs are abundant in fat and cholesterol.
6. Avoid nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and soybean products (including tofu, soy cheese, and soy milk). Soybean products are high in fat, unless they have been specially processed (low-fat varieties are also not recommended).
7. Avoid all dried fruit and fruit juices. (Eat the whole fruit instead).
8. Avoid all flour products, such as breads, bagels and pretzels. The less a food is processed the better it is for weight loss. Flour products are composed of fragments of grain, or relatively small particles, which increase absorption and slow weight loss.

And then from an ex-employee:

A 12-year-old autistic girl wasted away to a “bag of bones” under a harsh dietary regime imposed by the controversial Judge Rotenberg Center for troubled kids, a former employee charges.

Source.

The JRC has also made the news recently by lying about its staff.

The Boston Herald reported Wednesday that the Massachusetts Division of Public Licensure is investigating at least 10 JRC therapists for allegedly practicing psychology without a license. The allegations were initially made by New York lawyer Kenneth Mollins, who complained last week that 14 of the 17 clinicians listed on the residential school’s website are not licensed psychologists. After Mollins’ allegations became public, JRC removed the title of psychologist from the names of all of its therapists that do not have licenses. “We have acknowledged we were giving the incorrect title,” JRC attorney Michael Flammia told the Herald. A district court magistrate will decide next week whether criminal charges will be filed against the 10 therapists and possibly four others that are also under investigation.

Source.

These are just the things that have been discovered.

My fellow Brit, Mike Stanton blogged about the JRC back in April. Amongst the commenters was someone calling themselves ‘Jackie’. Jackie had the following to say:

The director of JRC encourages staff members to use electroshock to quitting smoking, makes staff members watch slaughter house movies as a condition of their advancement, and is starving some of the patients who can not thrive on his radical vegetarian diet.

and

The worst shock punishment is when staff straps a child to a board and tell her that she will be shocked randomly five times in the next hour. Here the ultimate punishment is not the shock but the hour long terror.

and

However, the worst punishment is when food is withheld from a child for bad behavior. Every child’s behavior deteriorates when food is withheld so JRC becomes directly responsible for the behavior for which the child is being punished.

Director Matthew Israel seems to be a fairly typical quack. When challenged to present evidence for his aversive-based regime he says:

Our mission is to function as a school, or service agency, and not as a research agency. Indeed, the funds we receive for our services are not supposed to be spent on research.

Which is a fairly standard altie method of avoiding the necessity for validating quackery. Israel goes on to cite the NIH ‘Treatment of Destructive Behaviors in Persons With Developmental Disabilities’ statement from 1987 as supporting his practices. However upon visiting the page in question one finds a large disclaimer in bold, red, emphasised, uppercase type:

THIS DOCUMENT IS NO LONGER VIEWED BY NIH AS GUIDANCE FOR CURRENT MEDICAL PRACTICE.

I can find next to nothing in Pubmed regarding aversive based treatments.

However, one of the most disturbing aspects of the JRC is the readiness with which it is embraced by its students parents. the JRC maintains a blog in which it posts messages of support from students parents. None of the students views are represented. A typical example is below:

_”Before placing my daughter Julissa at JRC, I suffered tremendously because of her behaviors. She did not obey my rules, she did not listed to me, and she used to go out without permission. When she returned home and I tried to talk to her, she used to get very angry and hit me. When she did something wrong and I tried to give her advice, it was for nothing because she did not listed. One time, she even took money from me without me knowing. She took my ATM card, and since she knew my pin number, she took out $700.00 dollars that I was saving for that month’s rent. At home, we hardly ever slept. My other daughter, my granddaughter, and I were very nervous because of Jusissa’s behaviors.”_

_”Julissa was admitted to the Metropolitan Hospital in two occasions. Also, she was admitted once at Holewood Hospital in Queens. Every time she left the hospitals and returned home, she exhibited the same behaviors.”_

_”Even though my daughter was admitted into two different hospitals and was placed into different treatments, and many prescribed medications, nothing really helped her. I give my testimony of faith that nothing has been better than the treatment or better said the discipline that JRC school has.”_

This sounds (to me) like a naughty girl. But a girl deserving of the sort of regime described above? Electro therapy because a child wouldn’t follow her mother’s rules? On what grounds are these good criteria for this regime?

When I first heard about this, I thought it was a joke. Unfortunately its not.

265 Responses to “The Judge Rotenberg Center”

1. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 03:14 #

Anne: “Court supervision is only meaningful if (a) the court is given all the relevant information and (b) the court’s orders are followed.”

And the NYSED report suggests that neither of these elements are in fact true, with regard to JRC’s policy.

Let’s face it… JRC Rocks is a prime example of what that place does to its staff…

2. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 03:20 #

Jackie: “JRC Rocks: Are you a student?”

No, Jackie… s/he is a lower primate with the integrity and manners of a lesser monkey.

3. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 03:40 #

Look!

Someone’s written a poem about JRC Rocks!!!!!

“Your dirty name gets passed about when something goes amiss.
    Your attitudes are platitudes,
    just make me wanna piss.

What kind of creature bore you
    Was is some kind of bat
    They can’t find a good word for you,
    but I can…
    TWAT.”

Somebody must know this person 🙂

4. Marshall June 29, 2006 at 05:24 #

David Nicholas Andrews?? Maybe I know you.

Thanks for showing the true color of the blog to your copatriots.

Are these last couple of posts you having another schizophrenic episode? I didn’t realize your illness, it explains a lot. I hope I didn’t bring on anything serious for you. I’m truly sorry I hurt your feelings. I hope you can find a way to focus your energy on something more positive. Good luck.

5. Anne June 29, 2006 at 05:45 #

State Investigates Burn Claims From Therapy At Canton School

Now we’re talkin’.

DNA, I’d say pay no attention to Slim Shady, there, I think he’s one of the kids.

6. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 08:19 #

Anne: “DNA, I’d say pay no attention to Slim Shady, there, I think he’s one of the kids…”

One of Matt-Izzy’s?

Nah… s/he’s just a nothing.

But if that’s the sort of character who works there, I’m not surprised the kids at the Centre kick up… they do it just so they can shock them, you know. I’m just glad I’m not like anybody who works there. I wonder if Matt-Izzy knows that his paid employees are busying themselves making the staff at the JRC look like arseholes on his money! Last time I saw anything like this person, it was festering in a street gutter.

7. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 08:33 #

Anne: “I just read about the investigation that’s getting started. According to this story, JRC employees are making abuse complaints to the Disabled Persons Protection Commission.”

This is good.

Disturbing that the number of complaints that have been filed against them in six years has more than doubled… but I’m glad that people are now prepared to make them.

8. ALEXIUS June 29, 2006 at 08:51 #

Now, now JRC Rocks(BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course,

9. ALEXIUS June 29, 2006 at 09:31 #

Jackie : “Alexius: These are the following people with ‘Alex’ in their name working at JRC: Alexander, Linda, Alexander, Wayne, Dobson, Alexander, Ferguson, Alexia, Hazard, M.Ed, Alexis Are you one of them? Aren’t you just a little upset that your employer has publicly published all of the staff’s names?”

First of all the site that you published is not a public site, until you made it so of course. It does not come up on search engines and the only people that go there belong there. Let me make one thing perfectly clear if any harm comes to myself, my family or any JRC employee for that mater as a result of you making private information public, I will ensure that you are held accountable to the full extent of the law. Your emotional attachment to “getting even” is clouding up your thinking and you are making mistakes. You will find yourself in trouble with the authorities if you keep this up and Kev will gladly turn your name over.

10. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 09:32 #

And Alexius comes in and shows how nasty s/he is.

What else can we expect, though, from JRC employees?! Not like they are reasonable folk, right?

Kev… I’ve just demolished the troll alarm with a fuckin’ *huge* hammer trying to get it to ring louder….

11. Kev June 29, 2006 at 09:33 #

Alexius – that page is not protected. Neither is it hidden. If you cannot employ web developers who know what they are doing then I’m afraid that that’s your issue. You have zero legal recourse in that matter.

12. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 12:51 #

ALEXIUS: I am glad you are upset. I would be furious. too. Just try focus it at the the IT department of JRC.

The page has no claims that it is private. It has no security. Its URL resides on the public computers in the History. The page sits on a public computer in a temporary file after a staff member logs off…

I am much more concerned about the impact on students. Anyone who know how to access to the temporary INTERNET files on a computer has access to anything a staff member has viewed.

Do you really think this Is this OK under HIPAA?

13. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 13:45 #

This place will be brought to justice because of the incredible ego and narcissism of the person at its head.

The web designers, as well everyone who advances at JRC, know that all you have to do is stroke the ego and you will be treated well.

As I assume the IT people are finding out, use of aversives is not limited to students.

I still need the list of Board of Directors and the annual public filing for JRC. Anyone can request this information – but I am not in a position to request it myself.

14. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 13:59 #

Alexius: Are you insane? You seem to be using this public blog to threaten a patient/student.

“Be nice! Remember your social skills; you wouldn’t want to break your special contract for internet time. These nice PBS people are only trying to help “liberate” you, much like they did for your old friend James V.”

15. Marshall June 29, 2006 at 14:01 #

Anne, Alexius, ask Kevin if I’m a student.

Jackie, are you unable to request to information because you are in jail, or an institution?

Kev, find out who I am yet? 781 828 2202

And yes, you are still losers, cause now I go to work. Same job I had yesterday and will have tomorrow and the day after….. 🙂

16. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 15:06 #

Marshall: “David, it’s nice to see you’ve calmed down a bit. Stay on the meds, they will help you. It’s been awhile since anyone’s called me a twat, quite refreshing actually. You haven’t lived till some idiot who spends his life online calls you names.”

Hmm… and you are the kind of person that gets to work at JRC? I dunno, man… you’re obviously sick. That much is clear. You find being called a ‘twat’ refreshing? You have no life! And, no… I’m not on any meds (although you might well be), and… er… when I finish here I go back to *my* work… as one of the highest paid psychologists in Finland.

You see, in Finland, we don’t have anything like the JRC. Simply because we know that using pain to change behaviour is basically wrong. We also know the stuff that Skinner did and we know that he didn’t propose, so when we use behavioural techniques.. we use real ones (not idiotic little devices invented by a pathetic individual who didn’t really study under Skinner). We use positive reinforcement and sometimes it is used in tandem with negative reinforcement… but the stimuli are set up according to what would naturally occur, rather than some pathetic individual’s idea of how someone should be punished into submission. We don’t even hit our kids here… something in which the US (especially the JRC, in its use of corporal punishment… which electric shock undoubtedly is) is well behind Finland.

Enjoy your work, Marshall. Stay in the US, man… you wouldn’t get to work here. Not with your attitudes. Nor your past. I understand that there is going to be a state investigation into abuse of children where you work… gonna look good on your permanent record, isn’t it?

Nah, Marshall… enjoy your work… for as long as you get it to last. After the coming investigation, it may not be such a good outcome for JRC this time… they’re losing their friends in high places.

17. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 16:10 #

David: Please understand, JRC is one of the residuals of the CIA’s abuse of psychology in the 1940’s, ’50’s & ’60’s – Project MK ULTRA and related projects.

This perverted psychology in the US, as you can see…

18. ann June 29, 2006 at 16:15 #

David: Alexius and Emma have a vested interest in trying to deflect, since they work there;

So what? I would expect that people who work there would defend it.

David: Ann used to work there, so she has one too.

How? I’m not being paid by them. I work for one of their competitors. That’s why I’m posting under an assumed name. Even if I were to go back to JRC, they wouldn’t even know that “Ann” was their newly re-hired employee.
    Why is it that Andrea can post about how great her place is without being thought of as having a vested interest, but JRC employees can’t do that?

David: Personally, I want to do a course at JRC in human resources solutions to the problem of challenging behaviour, and i want to use GED on all staff members. If it’s okay for students, then it should be equally okay for me to insist on it for staff.

Many staff volunteer to use it for personal goals. Many others have volunteered to get a shock just to know what it feels like. Personally, I wouldn’t mind such a policy.

Jackie:The employees don’t realize they will have a hard time staying in the field with JRC as former employer.

That’s funny considering I’ve been hired at two other behavior schools since leaving JRC.

Alexius:If someone is aware of more effective treatment and they have not contacted Dr. Israel, then they, by default are supporting the continued use of the GED no mater what it is they say. Your actions will betray your true agenda.

Oooo..good one! BTW on a slightly related topic, maybe the NYSED people could tell them how to do it. In their report they claimed that a student was considering suicide everyday. However, then they didn’t bother to tell JRC what she said. If a student is contemplating suicide, that might be something to discuss with JRC, but they didn’t. JRC didn’t hear of it until a couple months later.

David:You have not convinced me that he is prepared to listen to others.

Yeah. You are not willing to listen. And how have you demonstrated that you are willing to listen to a point of view that is contradictory to your own?

19. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 16:29 #

Ann:

“Many staff volunteer to use it for personal goals.”

Such as stopping smoking. Aversives have been used and studied for stopping smoking addictions. The research is there is a lot of anger. That is why it has been discontinued. Does the FDA allow for self treatment?

And I will bet that it was the 3ma GED, not the 45ma GED used on low functioning students.

20. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 16:35 #

Ann: “You are not willing to listen. And how have you demonstrated that you are willing to listen to a point of view that is contradictory to your own?”

When that viewpoint espouses a regime of ‘treatment’ which is ethically unsound, why should I listen to it?

Ann: “Many staff volunteer to use it for personal goals.”

Difference between those staff and the students on whom it is used… this issue of consent!

21. Anne June 29, 2006 at 17:25 #

“Marshall” wrote: “Anne, Alexius, ask Kevin if I’m a student.”

I’d rather ask you. What is your connection with JRC?

22. Jackie June 29, 2006 at 17:35 #

I am sure JRC’s worker’s compensation carrier (and the state labor department) would be interested in knowing that JRC was ‘loaning’ its GED’s to employees for unsupervised self-treatment.

The WC carrier is public record and is required to be posted in common areas. Will someone please post it here?

23. Amanda June 29, 2006 at 18:28 #

I wouldn’t discuss someone’s contemplation of suicide with an institution that was known for unethical procedures. It might lead to an escalation of unethical procedures. Usually does in fact.

24. Kev June 29, 2006 at 18:31 #

Marshall – who is not a _student_ of JRC – has been banned.

All members of JRC should know how the tracing back to yuo all as individuals might work.

When you logon to the JRC network, it uses Windows authentication to ‘know’ who you are and a timestamp is recorded on the server. Same happens in reverse when you logoff.

Similar internal details get logged when you access the internet and those details get logged at your ISP and are traceable at every server the packets go through. As is the IP address explicitly linking you to JRC. Nobody can see the internal IP except those who have direct access to either your ISP or your network.

So, by comparing the time the IP address originating from JRC appeared with the Windows authentication data its possible to state categorically who was posting here and what they were posting.

Now, I can’t trace anything beyond the public IP of JRC but getting the private IP/ISP details shouldn’t be too difficult for a federal investigator or persuasive investigative journalist.

I hear on the grapevine you already have a few of those looking hard at JRC.

25. Grapevine June 29, 2006 at 18:57 #

Kev: You forgot to add, since this is in litigation, expect a subpoena…

26. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 30, 2006 at 01:22 #

Anne: “David, unfortunately the 8th Amendment only protects people who are convicted of crimes. The US Supreme Court ruled specifically that it doesn’t protect school children, although they do have constitutional due process rights and civil and criminal penalties might apply if they are mistreated.”

Jackie posted, elsewhere, that the Out-Of_State Placement committee includes the Director of the State Corrections and Probation Department…. which has to imply that some kids are sent to JRC under sentence… which in turn must imply a conviction… which certainly makes those kids eligible for 8th Amendment rights not to be tortured….

I wonder when the stats are for such kids….

27. Amanda June 30, 2006 at 02:30 #

Okay, everyone want to know why students don’t complain?

They have a little video for parents about complaints by students. They minimize the reasons for the complaints and give parents some pre-conceived “reasons” for why students would complain about certain things. They also try to get parents to collude in the extermination of complaining behavior, otherwise known as “counter-control”. (Counter to the control that the “structure” of the program provides.)

Here is, in the direct words of Dr. Timothy Paisey and Dr. Patricia Rivera, what parents should do if students make complaints about safety:

Dr. Paisey says:

We urge that if there is any concern regarding the treatment of the student, that concern should be directed to the student’s case manager, preferably without the knowledge of the student. A private conversation between the family members and the case manager is the appopriate way of resolving that, or alternatively our student services department.

In general, this would be a good time to perhaps make some fairly specific suggestions about what families can do. If you have a telephone call or a face to face meeting during a visit with your son or daughter and they make some complaint, the first thing to do, I would suggest is to ask yourself, “Is this one of the complaints mentioned on that video I saw?” And then perhaps that will guide you towards the next step, which might be to listen briefly to the complaint. If you can, try to minimize your reaction to it. You can ask for specific details, specific contents, briefly. And then move on. Move on to something more appropriate and positive. If you think you need more information, contact the case manager.

But in the course of the conversation with your son or daughter, try to move on. The reason is because the attention we give to what our children say is itself a reward, it reinforces that kind of behavior. If we’d like to hear more complaining, then all we have to do is pay attention to complaining. If we’d like to hear more good news and positive reports, then what we could do, is to pay a limited amount of attention to complaining, and then move on, and ask “What has happened that is appropriate and positive?” And in fact, if you start by attending to the complaint, and then move on to the more positive information, over time, perhaps the attention to the complaint that’s less, and the attention to the positive information that’s more, and you can teach your son or daughter to pay more appropriate attention and emphasis to reporting positive news.

Dr. Rivera says:

So what we’d like to do is to actually ask your help, in assisting us to teach these students how to do this.

Dr. Paisey says:

We would encourage limited attention to complaints. We would encourage you to make a note of complaints. If you detect a pattern in the complaints, share that information with the student’s case manager, because then, if we need to, we could even adjust his or her program to take account of this. Those are some active ways in which families can become more involved in treatment and some active ways in which the student will not be able to manipulate others to cause the treatment that they truly need, to stop.

28. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 30, 2006 at 02:54 #

Dr Paisey, in Amanda’s post: “The reason is because the attention we give to what our children say is itself a reward, it reinforces that kind of behavior.”

This is a cop out.

If someone complains, there is usually a valid reason for complaining. Extinguishing complaint-behaviour is another way to reinforce learned helplessness. It’s about compliance, and nothing else.

Amanda, thanks for that post. Goes to show, really, that what we have seen of the JRC people who have posted here (either as current or ex- employees of the place) is a pretty accurate picture of the way in which they dismiss other people’s concerns inappropriately whilst insisting that their own have validity. I’ll be glad to see JRC replaced with something far more humane… it’s about time.

29. Amanda June 30, 2006 at 03:46 #

I figured it would be something like that, actually. What surprises me time and time again about the Judge Rotenberg Center is the fact that they publicly flaunt things that most institutions also do, but try to hide a little more. JRC pretty much hides their inhumanity in plain sight, as it were.

I’ve been to places that had similar attitudes, but they never put them into videos for public viewing on the Internet.

30. questions for JRC staff June 30, 2006 at 05:07 #

31. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 13:05 #

Amanda: The most amazing thing is that they hide the most basic information like who is on the board of directors. The only name I can find is ‘Bob Frank’. I have never seen a non profit not have its board of directors right up front.

‘Bob Frank’ is a common name. There is a US Congressman with this name from Mass. Does anyone know if it is the same person?

32. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 13:58 #

Is corrections department is involved with some JRC students?

From the transcript from CNN at

“KAYE: According to his medical records, ******** could also be one scary kid. He stole things, hit people, tried to sexually assault a girl.”

Make your own conclusions.

33. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 16:03 #

I would like to know who released this ‘medical’ information.

Since he is a juvenile, if this same information were released from his corrections files, it would be a serious crime.

34. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 30, 2006 at 17:07 #

Questions4JRCstaff: “Wouldn’t it be interesting if Marshall was really Matthew Israel? I guess a subpoena will strighten out all this identity stuff and the who’s being paid by whom to post messages defending JRC question.”

Would be very interesting indeed. We know that yon Matty-Izzy-baby-mentality-bug is indeed a very litigious person, so it’s in keeping with what we know about him. He’s also basically childish in nature, since he hasn’t managed to get past Köhler’s first stage of moral development… pretty sad for a man his age (my daughter is 7 yrs old and autistic, and she is further up the Köhler scale than yon Matty-Izzy could ever hope to be).

But if it did turn out that Matty-Izzy was coming here and taking the piss out of autistic people (i.e., me!) … it would look pretty fucking bad on the credibility of that place as an ‘accepting’ and ‘inclusive’ place of education, now, wouldn’t it?!

Matty-Izzy may not really give a flying fuck about autistics (or any other diagnosed minority)… but he should, since his whole act of pseudocredibility is based on his ‘caring’ for the people in his care… some of whom are autistic and some of whom may well be schizophrenic. His posts to me (if indeed Marshall *is* Matty-Izzy) suggest that he doesn’t give a shit, as long as he has someone he can mercilessly rip the piss out of.

Very caring.

Very inclusive.

Not.

Maybe Maththew Israel *is* a bigger piece of shit than even *he* could even think he was…. wouldn’t be that difficult to imagine, given his record to date.

35. Anne June 30, 2006 at 18:35 #

JRC’s annual report is publicly available at the Mass. Secretary of the Commonwealth, Corporations Division.

Search the corporate database for “Judge Rotenberg” and you will find all of its corporate filings, including the annual reports showing the officers and directors.

36. Anne June 30, 2006 at 18:43 #

For the financial reports, I think you have to go to the office of the Attorney General, Division of Public Charities, where you can view and copy it.

37. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 20:28 #

Thanks Anne.

It appears that there only one officer/ director on its state filing. Why does JRC say that “Bob Frank” is on the board of directors?

38. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 20:55 #

What the boy did prior to being at JRC was irrelevant to JRC – they take everyone.

When JRC was under attack from this boy’s mother, JRC used the racial stereotype of the scary, sexual predator to win favor with the CNN’s national audience.

Now and for the rest of his life, whenever anyone Googles ******’s name, he will become the ‘scary, sexual predator ‘, just like ‘Tom Robinson’ in ‘To Kill a Mocking Bird’.

I hope this kid gets his $50,000,000.

39. Jackie June 30, 2006 at 22:34 #

OK, I see if you click on the above link and then choose annual report you get all the names and addresses of the board of directors.

Does anyone know any of these people?

40. Jackie July 1, 2006 at 02:53 #

I think these are two of the directors:

41. andrea July 1, 2006 at 22:37 #

People who are heavily invested in punishment and reward systems, invested ego-wise, security-wise, and/or financially-wise (such as the JRC), will try to assert that not using the punishment and rewards to control behaviour will result in gross misbehaviour and chaos. This is a false dilemma; there are other ways of teaching our children.

The whole system of punishment & rewards does little to teach the students good methods of self-control and moral development. One cannot cure pain by inflicting more pain. http://qw88nb88.wordpress.com/2006/07/01/being-unruly/

Sadly, those who use such methods often don’t know anything else. I would however, expect people who have degrees in teaching or the social sciences (e.g. psychology) to know better!

Actions speak louder than words.

andrea

42. Jackie July 2, 2006 at 01:21 #

My sources within tell me two methods are being used getting around the new restrictions on shocking NY students:

1. In response to the ban of shocking while in restraint, staff doing the restraining are instructed to break off the restraint quicker than before so that a shock can then be justified under the new rules.

2. They have changed the level of severity of certain conduct for NY’ers so that these activities can be shocked under the new rules.

These are a legalistic circumvention the spirit of the restrictions.

43. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) July 2, 2006 at 06:21 #

Jackie’s comment above is the reason why new definitions need to be written into the regulations. Currently, the regs focus on names of procedures… they should consider effective typology of procedures… so that if anything functions in the same way as a punishment, then it is a punishment, no matter what word is used to dress it up.

44. Anne July 2, 2006 at 17:51 #

Jackie, under the new rules, doesn’t JRC have to obtain a waiver from an NY student’s home district before it uses the
    GED on them for any purpose?

I also wonder if changing the level of severity of certain conduct complies with the court orders JRC has obtained allowing the use of the electric shock aversive.

Finally, I wonder how the allegedly mild and harmless electrical stimulation of the GED can work to deter alleged self-injurious behavior that sounds like it is, in itself, very painful?

45. Amanda July 3, 2006 at 01:48 #

With a track record of evading regulations like that place has, it shouldn’t even be there. Regulations don’t help if they’re unenforcable.

46. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) July 3, 2006 at 03:03 #

Precisely, Amanda…

The only reason that the place exists is because of Judge Rottenbastard and those like him, who think that it’s okay to inflict pain on unwilling victims.

And, basically, a regulation that is not enforcable is not a regulation. Somewhere, therefore, someone must be breaking the law to keep the place in business.

47. Jan July 4, 2006 at 19:33 #

I worked there for almost a year.
    We were reviewed by our peers every two weeks. We were mandated to write on the website or our review was lowered points. We were to obey every rule with which they made new ones every day. I was up all night cleaning and watching the students in a group home and was given lowered points for a crumb in the microwave. I was on camera all night and they could see that i was on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors walls and making sure the house immaculate as well as every fifteen minutes running into the kids rooms to check on them. They wanted you to be perfect and had other employees come into the house at night and set things up that were dangerous and you had to catch what they did, Also they would have you call other houses to ask questions to set up those employees to see if they failed the questions and it would lower their review. You were to take the students to the bathrooms at certain hours and if they wet their bed you were to shock them. In the morning we were to put waist cuffs handcuffs and leg cuffs on them and search them before we went to the bus to go to the school.
    The shocks hurt and sometimes burns their skin. We had to move the geds belt like things every hour and constantly mark their paper for every behavior they had. If we failed to see a behavior one of the many students had we were called on the phone and asked why?
    At one point a staff member had another staff member come into the classroom and give a supergoody as they call them to a student that has a choking problem with food. The staff gave him the treat and he started to choke. I ran and was able to grab it out of his mouth in time. But the danger was there. This same student was one of my favorites and when he laughed too loud i would have to give him a shock. Whenever he saw me he would laugh so i started to stay away from him so he wouldn’t get into trouble. The reviews i got were excellent so i am not saying these things to get back at them. I left because i have a son that is 16 with autism and couldn’t ever think of sending him to this place. I thought this was a good job for me because it would help me with my son. I hope someone will really talk with the employees and they will find out so much more than just visiting this place.

48. Jackie July 5, 2006 at 00:16 #

Jan: You are the typical ex-employee.

You should get some counseling from JRC’s worker’s compensation carrier.

You should also consider getting a labor attorney to take you to the EEOC or state agency in charge of unfair employment practices. It sounds like you have a pretty good case. You should print out this entire blog so the attorney knows you are not alone and not a nut case.

49. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) July 5, 2006 at 07:07 #

Jan…

“I worked there for almost a year.
    I feel it is almost like mind control as an employee and what happens to the students is unfair and cruel.”

I bet that place has a seriously high turnover of staff. I’m sorry that you found it such a harrowing experience, but I would not be sorry at all if the JRC closed.

“They wanted you to be perfect and had other employees come into the house at night and set things up that were dangerous and you had to catch what they did.”

So you’re saying that – in their search for perfection – the JRC would set up dangerous situations? Wilful endangerment occurs in that place? No wonder they get so many complaints and I’m not surprised that there’s been deaths there. Matthew Israel looks – on the basis of this evidence – like a completely megalomanic idiot.

” If we failed to see a behavior one of the many students had we were called on the phone and asked why?
    Next we had other staff members that were sent into the classrooms to try to trick us with questions or things they did with the students to see if we caught it or not.”

This is a ridiculous work-expectation on the part of Matthew Israel. The man’s clearly not fit to run the place.

Thanks, Jan, for informing us (though I would imagine that the staff people we’ve had coming here and trolling would have things to say on this).

50. ann July 6, 2006 at 18:26 #

David,
    Do you realize that you believe every bad thing that anyone says about JRC without proof?
    Anyone on this blog that says good things about JRC is dismissed as an idiot. Anyone who says bad things is praised. So do you know all these people? I know that you don’t know me at all.

You can call me a troll all you want. I have thick skin. I don’t care.

Have you been able to think of a solution for the students once JRC is closed down? Are you willing to find placements for them? I’m sure that you will be able to find places. Even though their parents had to try at dozens of other places that rejected them, I’m sure that you will be able to advocate for them and succeed.

What kind of medications would you suggest for them? Do you think it’s a good idea to place them back on the meds they were on before they went to JRC considering that those meds didn’t work?

When they are heavily medicated, what do you suggest for teaching methods?

When those meds don’t work, do you approve of restraints to try to keep them from gouging their eyes out or head banging into unconsciousness or gouging their rectum or biting their cheeks until there is a hole in them?

What are you going to do about the places that kicked them out to JRC in the first place? I hear you talking a lot about JRC but have you thought about why these other places have failed and had to refer their failures to JRC?

Perhaps the students could go to one of my former employers who had two lawsuits involving abuse, brought against them by parents.
    You didn’t hear about that? Not surprised. The media isn’t interested in stories involving abuse unless the program involves some sort of punishment or tough strict standards.

Did you know that 10% of PBS experts surveyed in a 2005 study said they would use contingent electric shock “under certain circumstances or conditions.” This was a higher percentage than the percentage that said they would use two of the other aversives that the experts were asked to consider–Sensory punishment (7% said they would use that under certain circumstances) and physical punishment (4% said they would use it under certain circumstances). That as many as 10% of the top experts in Positive Behavior Supports would use contingent electric shock in certain circumstances is an astounding finding. Of those who said that skin shock was appropriate in certain circumstances. 100% of these said that skin shock was effective, and 83% said it was supported in the literature.
    (reference-http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/proedcw/jpbi/2005/00000007/00000002/art00004.)

BTW David, I found you posting in another anti-JRC blog and you mentioned my name. I didn’t know you thought about me that much.