The Judge Rotenberg Center

26 May

As we tootle about our lives we are sometimes unaware of the full horror of the human experience and how barbarity often exists justs out of sight. For people who are adjudged as needing to receive ‘treatments’, barbarity is in plain sight all the time.

The Judge Rotenberg Centre (note the happy colours) describes itself as:

The Judge Rotenberg Educational Center (JRC) is a special needs school in Canton, Massachusetts serving both higher-functioning students with conduct, behavior, emotional, and/or psychiatric problems and lower-functioning students with autistic-like behaviors

Wait for the animated gif to revolve a few times. Note the happy faces of the students. Note the lovely grounds.

The JRC achieves its results by administering an electric shock to its students when they are in need of corrective action. Students carry around backpacks to ensure they are close to the source of the corrective action. The device/process is called ‘GED’ – Graduated Electronic Decelerator.

Massachusetts Division of Public Licensure is investigating reports of burns to the skin of at least one student. A former worker claimed that JRC staff failed to move the electrodes each day as required to keep from burning the boy’s skin. Director Matthew Israel states that:

Our skin shock device does not cause burns when it is applied. Very, very occasionally, a device might cause a superficial mark on the skin, from which the skin recovers quickly.

Source

A ‘superficial mark’. Right. I guess ‘superficial’ might be in the eye of the beholder Mr Israel. Or, in this case, the skin of a young man.

The JRC also has an interesting take on diet – from its ‘foods to avoid’ section:

1. Avoid all red meat, including beef, pork, and lamb. All are rich in fat, cholesterol, and other harmful constituents.
2. Avoid all poultry and fish. Poultry has about the same amount of cholesterol as red meat, while fish varies, depending on type. Some fish are higher in cholesterol than red meat, others lower.
3. Avoid all dairy products, including milk, yogurt and cheese. Low-fat dairy products are not recommended because of potential health hazards including allergies, childhood diabetes, arthritis and lactose intolerance.
4. Avoid all oil, including olive, safflower, peanut and corn oil. Oil is simply a liquid form of fat.
5. Avoid eggs. Eggs are abundant in fat and cholesterol.
6. Avoid nuts, seeds, avocados, olives and soybean products (including tofu, soy cheese, and soy milk). Soybean products are high in fat, unless they have been specially processed (low-fat varieties are also not recommended).
7. Avoid all dried fruit and fruit juices. (Eat the whole fruit instead).
8. Avoid all flour products, such as breads, bagels and pretzels. The less a food is processed the better it is for weight loss. Flour products are composed of fragments of grain, or relatively small particles, which increase absorption and slow weight loss.

And then from an ex-employee:

A 12-year-old autistic girl wasted away to a “bag of bones” under a harsh dietary regime imposed by the controversial Judge Rotenberg Center for troubled kids, a former employee charges.

Source.

The JRC has also made the news recently by lying about its staff.

The Boston Herald reported Wednesday that the Massachusetts Division of Public Licensure is investigating at least 10 JRC therapists for allegedly practicing psychology without a license. The allegations were initially made by New York lawyer Kenneth Mollins, who complained last week that 14 of the 17 clinicians listed on the residential school’s website are not licensed psychologists. After Mollins’ allegations became public, JRC removed the title of psychologist from the names of all of its therapists that do not have licenses. “We have acknowledged we were giving the incorrect title,” JRC attorney Michael Flammia told the Herald. A district court magistrate will decide next week whether criminal charges will be filed against the 10 therapists and possibly four others that are also under investigation.

Source.

These are just the things that have been discovered.

My fellow Brit, Mike Stanton blogged about the JRC back in April. Amongst the commenters was someone calling themselves ‘Jackie’. Jackie had the following to say:

The director of JRC encourages staff members to use electroshock to quitting smoking, makes staff members watch slaughter house movies as a condition of their advancement, and is starving some of the patients who can not thrive on his radical vegetarian diet.

and

The worst shock punishment is when staff straps a child to a board and tell her that she will be shocked randomly five times in the next hour. Here the ultimate punishment is not the shock but the hour long terror.

and

However, the worst punishment is when food is withheld from a child for bad behavior. Every child’s behavior deteriorates when food is withheld so JRC becomes directly responsible for the behavior for which the child is being punished.

Director Matthew Israel seems to be a fairly typical quack. When challenged to present evidence for his aversive-based regime he says:

Our mission is to function as a school, or service agency, and not as a research agency. Indeed, the funds we receive for our services are not supposed to be spent on research.

Which is a fairly standard altie method of avoiding the necessity for validating quackery. Israel goes on to cite the NIH ‘Treatment of Destructive Behaviors in Persons With Developmental Disabilities’ statement from 1987 as supporting his practices. However upon visiting the page in question one finds a large disclaimer in bold, red, emphasised, uppercase type:

THIS DOCUMENT IS NO LONGER VIEWED BY NIH AS GUIDANCE FOR CURRENT MEDICAL PRACTICE.

I can find next to nothing in Pubmed regarding aversive based treatments.

However, one of the most disturbing aspects of the JRC is the readiness with which it is embraced by its students parents. the JRC maintains a blog in which it posts messages of support from students parents. None of the students views are represented. A typical example is below:

_”Before placing my daughter Julissa at JRC, I suffered tremendously because of her behaviors. She did not obey my rules, she did not listed to me, and she used to go out without permission. When she returned home and I tried to talk to her, she used to get very angry and hit me. When she did something wrong and I tried to give her advice, it was for nothing because she did not listed. One time, she even took money from me without me knowing. She took my ATM card, and since she knew my pin number, she took out $700.00 dollars that I was saving for that month’s rent. At home, we hardly ever slept. My other daughter, my granddaughter, and I were very nervous because of Jusissa’s behaviors.”_

_”Julissa was admitted to the Metropolitan Hospital in two occasions. Also, she was admitted once at Holewood Hospital in Queens. Every time she left the hospitals and returned home, she exhibited the same behaviors.”_

_”Even though my daughter was admitted into two different hospitals and was placed into different treatments, and many prescribed medications, nothing really helped her. I give my testimony of faith that nothing has been better than the treatment or better said the discipline that JRC school has.”_

This sounds (to me) like a naughty girl. But a girl deserving of the sort of regime described above? Electro therapy because a child wouldn’t follow her mother’s rules? On what grounds are these good criteria for this regime?

When I first heard about this, I thought it was a joke. Unfortunately its not.

265 Responses to “The Judge Rotenberg Center”

1. andrea June 24, 2006 at 00:03 #

Some of the students at our school on are prescriptions for medical problems (e.g. diabetes). They are not, however, drugged to make them “manageable”.

Asserting that a painful punishment system has to be used at JRC because the students there are worse than any others elsewhere is simply yet another fallacious argument. To claim that using positive approaches “might be true for you, but not for me” is a Relativist Fallacy.

It’s a bad case of Othering to insist that the students there are so vastly and horribly different from the rest of the human population that they deserve and require to be treated the way they are.

andrea

2. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 24, 2006 at 00:04 #

Alexius: “JRC is willing to treat the most problematic students, ”

It is willing to take them in as guinea pigs (at an exorbitant fee) for non-publishable research (no IRB in its right mind would agree to such research going ahead), for a product which is *not* FDA approved (which the FDA have allowed to be *registered* precisely so that the JRC cannot claim it as approved!), in a process which falls totally outside of *anything* that could be called good practice in any field of psychology – educational, occupational, clinical, or even forensic!

Not once have you, or Ann, or Emma come up with *any*thing which justifies the use of a punishment-oriented treatment regime.

There is a reason for this: you simply cannot justify it.

Accept it, and grow up.

3. Anne June 24, 2006 at 02:19 #

So, Alexius and Emma, has JRC stopped using the GED and food deprivation on New York students per the June 21 Board of Regents decision? Today was the day to stop, right?

4. Anne June 24, 2006 at 03:00 #

I read in a recent article that the NY Bd of Regents is also investigating whether other schools are using aversives and has identified two preschools that do.

JRC is not the only place that uses them. Many parents with kids in behavioral programs think that aversives are a thing of the past. Obviously they are not.

I had to think of Amanda when I read ann’s comments about reported events not really happening at JRC and seeing her refer to people here as delusional. This is exactly what Amanda has described as a way that institutional staff deal with bad stuff in plain sight. (You didn’t see anything like that. You’re delusional!) I imagine this is quite effective in an atmosphere where where the person being manipulated this way can also be restrained and have painful aversives applied to them.

5. Jackie June 24, 2006 at 03:21 #

Anne: Yes, E-mails went out about the GED restrictions for NY’ers. I’m sure every student is behaving as best they can. The students have been following this more closely than even David has. They understand that they have a role to play in ending this madness.

6. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 24, 2006 at 07:48 #

Personally, I want to do a course at JRC in human resources solutions to the problem of challenging behaviour, and i want to use GED on *all* staff members. If it’s okay for students, then it should be equally okay for me to insist on it for staff.

And I will use the method they use in the BRLs at JRC… basically… shocks for every fucking one of them… only fewer if they do as I tell them to. (see below)

Fair’s fair. Sauce for goose is sauce for gander…

Right Ann/Emma/Alexius?

Because if it *isn’t*, then not a single fucking one of you has any business using the GED on the kids that get sent there.

Period.

(of course, not likely to happen… JRC is not about fairness and justice or ethical treatment… it’s about power and the maintenance of power at all costs, even if it means abusing those placed there by whatever means possible).

7. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 24, 2006 at 07:49 #

Jackie: “Now that JRC does not have a way to shock students, hopefully they will no longer have the staff provoke them.”

We’re talking about Matthew Israel here… he’ll find a way to get anything he fucking wants sanctioned. He’s bastard enough!

8. Amanda June 24, 2006 at 13:38 #

“High functioning,” “low functioning,” “severe behavior disorder,” “delusional,” all have the effect of dismissing opinions, one way or another. If one is in the program at the time and objects, one is too low-functioning to understand, or the objection is not a real objection but rather “behavior”. If one is not in the program at the time and objects, one is too high-functioning to be relevant to those who are in the program. In other words, nobody can object.

Roughly ten years ago, what people called me was “low-functioning,” “severely complex,” “unsalvageable,” “severely regressed,” “non-compliant,” “severely violent,” and “lacking in the ability to develop a cohesive personality structure,” among other things. I heard people discussing me, and the consensus was pretty much that I had a problem in my brain that was never going to get better and it was a waste of time even bothering to deal with me because I was not going to change.

All possible objections I made to any situation I was in, even any choices I tried to make, were viewed as the product of a damaged and probably deteriorating brain, most often as severe behavior of one kind or another. And I most certainly was thrown out of various places for reason of my “unsalvageability”. (What exactly they wanted to “salvage”, I never found out.)

When I became able to consistently describe what had happened to me in the past, and object to it, usually in public (having left behind all these places at the first opportunity), the response became the opposite: That I was clearly a very high-functioning person who would have no knowledge of what happened on the inside of the sorts of places I used to live, and whose experiences had no bearing on the people who lived there.

The person I was had not really changed in this time period, of course. Not even most of my “behaviors” had changed appreciably, it was just that suddenly I could literally bang my head against something all day until I passed out and nobody was going to do anything to me for it.

But continue by all means to try to recategorize me. It’s a standard method of dismissal. But it only succeeds in confusing people, it does not change reality.

9. Jackie June 24, 2006 at 14:50 #

My prediction is the next scandal will be HIPAA violations. Two examples:

The staff site has no security. The PIN’s are the last 4 numbers of the SSN and you can access the site from public computers.

JRC compiled and then published confidential information for Mr/Mrs S’s and Mr/Mrs P’s lobbying activities last April.

10. andrea June 25, 2006 at 01:54 #

Jackie, HIPAA violations? Very much indeed.

My prediction is that the next scandal will be what happens when the GEDs are suddenly removed from the system, and the staff suddenly has to rely on other means of controlling behaviour. Any problems resulting from that will be “proof” for needing to use the GEDs, rather than as indicators of a system with big problems.

Regarding Ann’s assertion that I’m “delusional”, such fallacies are classic Baffles: http://qw88nb88.wordpress.com/2006/06/24/8/

andrea

11. Jackie June 25, 2006 at 13:45 #

If the GED’s go, the patients go. There are good places which, for $213,000 per year, could do a much better job.

The employees don’t realize they will have a hard time staying in the field with JRC as former employer.

12. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 25, 2006 at 14:00 #

Jackie: “There are good places which, for $213,000 per year, could do a much better job.”

Actually, there’s places that could do better for a tenth of that!

As for the thing of JRC as former employer…. I know that I would never employ anyone who had worked there, or recommend a referral to anyone who had been on staff there.

13. Jackie June 25, 2006 at 17:02 #

According to documents published by JRC, one of the ten “Out of State Placement Committee” is the “Robert Maccarone State Director NYS Division of Probation and Correctional Alternatives”.

If any student at JRC is under the supervision of this division, the use of aversives becomes an 8th Amendment issue.

14. Kev June 25, 2006 at 17:06 #

I’ll be passing details of this thread, including the attempted anonymous fire-fighting by JRC staff, onto mainstream media in the US.

If Jackie or anyone else can think of anything else that I, as a UK resident can do to help get this place closed then please say so.

15. ALEXIUS June 25, 2006 at 19:59 #

It appears is if the agenda of this Blog is simply to close JRC down at any cost, even if one has to lie, exaggerate and spread internet mythology to achieve that end. I was encouraged to see that Andrea and Jonathan were willing to engage in a dialog with Ann, despite that fact that they disagreed.

Initially I posted on the Blog to clear up some of the misinformation being perpetuated. I then posted my opinion based upon my experience in the field. I posted anonymously so that I could state my own opinion, I do not represent JRC, I represent myself. Multiple people on both sides of the issue have posted anonymously.

Feel free to mischaracterize my posts as “anonymous fire-fighting” or “spin” if you wish. My only intention is to work together with whoever wishes to find the safest, most effective, most humane treatment for these individuals with severe behavioral challenges. When I first viewed this Blog, I naively thought that this was the agenda.

16. Kev June 25, 2006 at 20:06 #

Alexius – I’m usually not bothered by anonymous posting but as you are posting directly _from_ the JRC your anonymity is not so much freedom of expression as hiding your motives.

Bottom line: good science that aversives are more effective in the long term than anything else? None.

The only conclusion one can reach therefore is that you and your fellow employee’s are sadists who enjoy inflicting pain.

If I thought for one moment that I could in any way play a part in getting your centre closed I would rejoice.

17. ALEXIUS June 25, 2006 at 20:46 #

Kev- While it may appear as though my anonymous posting was an attempt to hide my motives, it was in fact so that I could speak openly and freely based upon my own experience. I do not speak as an official representative of JRC, I speak as myself. I have stated my motives. They are to engage in dialog to find the safest, most effective, most humane treatment for these individuals and to clear up the misinformation that clouds the issue and prevents real dialog. If you read all of my posts, you will find that all of them are consistent with these motives.

18. Kev June 25, 2006 at 20:51 #

Alexuis – what I see is someone who’s motives suddenly change when it becomes a bit clearer what their hidden agenda is.

Your attempts at rationlisation of your sadism is transparent and sickening.

19. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 25, 2006 at 21:26 #

Alexius: “I was encouraged to see that Andrea and Jonathan were willing to engage in a dialog with Ann, despite that fact that they disagreed.”

Actually, Ann was the one not prepared to enter a dialogue. With *anyone*… and, to be honest… I saw little evidence of you being willing to enter dialogue… more an attempt to justify the use of methods which are outwith any definition of good practice in educational, psychological or therapeutic practice.

Alexius: “My only intention is to work together with whoever wishes to find the safest, most effective, most humane treatment for these individuals with severe behavioral challenges.

You still want us to think that the GED is humane? Now, you’re taking the piss!

20. Jackie June 25, 2006 at 21:35 #

As publicly published by JRC (I have omited the addresses #’s and e-mails from the spread sheet so the formating is funny – I have no knowledge of what the ‘Out of State Placement Committee’ actually is or why JRC published these names. )

Out of State Placement Committee (10)

Deborah Benson (Chair) Acting Executive Director New York State Council on Children & Families

Richard Mills Commissioner State Department of Education

John Johnson Commissioner New York State Office of Children & Family Services New York

Antonia C. Novello Commissioner New York State Department of Health

Sharon Carpinello Commissioner Office of Mental Health

Thomas Maul Commissioner Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities New York State

Shari Noonan Commissioner Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services

John Cape Director Division of the Budget

Gary O’Brien Commissioner Commission on Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities

21. Jackie June 25, 2006 at 22:18 #

Also in the same pulbic document is:

Recipients of Mollins Letter

Senator Charles E. Schumer
    Senator Hilary Rodham Clinton
    Eliot Spitzer Attorney General New York State

Once again, addresses, #’s, & E-mails removed.

22. Jackie June 26, 2006 at 02:16 #

Children & Families, Education, Health, Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Corrections, Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, Budget, and Quality of Care and Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities. Nine Departments?! The only department missing is the Attorney General (and he has been sent the ‘Mollins Letter’). And why is Education in charge?

The first question must be, “Do aversives, as used at JRC, violate the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment?” Has any of these departments gotten a legal opinion? If so, produce it. It is in no one’s interest to have this settled by the loudest lobbiest.

23. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 26, 2006 at 02:53 #

Jackie: “The first question must be, ‘Do aversives, as used at JRC, violate the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment?'”

I think that this is indeed the fundamental question here…

My view is formulated as follows:

If we accept Brennan’s ideas on punishment (i.e., that:
    *quote*
    “There are, then, four principles by which we may determine whether a particular punishment is ‘cruel and unusual’.”
    *endquote*

.. and that…

*quote*
    “The ‘essential predicate’ is ‘that a punishment must not by its severity be degrading to human dignity’, especially torture.”
    *endquote*

… it is clear that JRC is already treading on thin ice by its use of a punishment-only regime (as determined in the NYSED panel’s report). In the case of the JRC’s practice of using electroshock devices in the ways listed in that report, it is hard to see how this practice could *not* be degrading to human dignity; and I suppose the question must be asked: if I (or any other person or group of people) were to go into the JRC – armed with devices designed to cause pain and discomfort – and use those (in the ways demonstrated in the NYSED report as the way in which the GED is used at JRC) as the sole means of conducting teaching (outwith the express or implied consent of the staff) in the context of staff training… would that be construed as ‘degrading’, as per Brennan’s essential predicate? If it would be considered degrading, then – by definition – the JRC’s use of the GED as a continual punishment device is in fact degrading, and therefore falls foul of Brennan’s essential predicate.

*quote*
    “A severe punishment that is obviously inflicted in wholly arbitrary fashion”.
    *endquote*

It is already clear from the NYSED report that the JRC that severe punishments are being used in such a fashion (see, for example, the reporting of events during behaviour rehearsal lessons there in the NYSED report).

*quote*
    “A severe punishment that is clearly and totally rejected throughout society”.
    *endquote*

As a sole means of changing behaviour, it is hard to see that society as a whole would accept the GED. Indeed, the only people who have voiced an opinion in favour of it on this blog have been people who are either currect or former employees of JRC itself. This would be a useful barometer of how well such a device is favoured ‘throughout society’.

*quote*
    “A severe punishment that is patently unnecessary”
    *endquote*

This is not as easy to demonstrate, since there is a great deal of literature cited by protagonists of the GED which shows the effectiveness of punishment as a means of changing behaviour. However… these cited works do not by any means demonstrate a ‘patent necessity’ for punishment.

One point to note here is the fact that the US Constitution, in the 8th Amendment, *prohibits torture*, and torture is defined thus: “Torture is *any act by which severe pain, whether physical or psychological, is intentionally inflicted on a person as a means of intimidation, a deterrent, revenge, a punishment*, or as a method for the extraction of information or confessions (i.e. ‘third-degree methods’ of interrogation). Wikipedia definition – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture” (My emphasis)

Given that the sole purpose of the GED is to punish, and that there is clear evidence of *psychological* pain stemming from the overall practices of the JRC (see NYSED reporting of interviews with ‘students’ of the institution, which definitely raised concerns on the part of the NYSED review panel).

Certainly looks as if the JRC is practising unconstitutional methods in its day to day work. Essentially, entirely outwith the constitution (since the 8th Amendment does appear to be continually violated there).

24. Anne June 26, 2006 at 06:00 #

ALEXIUS wrote: ” My only intention is to work together with whoever wishes to find the safest, most effective, most humane treatment for these individuals with severe behavioral challenges.”

Here’s your chance. We’ll be watching with great interest to see what you guys come up with.

25. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 26, 2006 at 07:18 #

Anne: “We’ll be watching with great interest to see what you guys come up with.”

Since the JRC was the BRI; they’ve not shifted their emphasis on something purely punitive… I’m afraid I have given up on them. There’s no blinding flash on the road to Damascus here… their sunglasses are too dark. I doubt they’ll ever, as it were, see the light….

26. Jackie June 26, 2006 at 13:35 #

I will describe the offending document so that others do not try to find it.

It is a lobbying document from April. It had the names of every BOR member. There are happy faces under those who were pro JRC and a sad face under the one who would not let the Lobbyists in the door. There are addresses, faxes, phones, emails of each BOR member. There are areas of representation. There are the names of all parents and students in the BOR’s district. There are summaries of the contacts, including details of which BOR members had autistic or retarded family members and the relationship of this family member to the BOR member.

That an organization which deals with autistic and retarded patients would collect and then publish personal information from the people they are lobbying shows they are vile.

Copies of the files and links were sent to the BOR members who had e-mail addresses. I got a confirmation that one member would be responsible for dealing with this.

27. Jackie June 26, 2006 at 13:47 #

The names of the lobbyiests, as publicly published by JRC:

Michele and Arthur Perazzo
    and
    Mr. and Mrs. Shear

28. Anne June 26, 2006 at 18:18 #

David, unfortunately the 8th Amendment only protects people who are convicted of crimes. The US Supreme Court ruled specifically that it doesn’t protect school children, although they do have constitutional due process rights and civil and criminal penalties might apply if they are mistreated. Ingraham v. Wright.

I’m sure there are other laws that could be invoked, for example, the Massachusetts law against assault and battery on disabled people, if the powers that be could be persuaded to prosecute.

29. Anne June 26, 2006 at 18:47 #

It appears is if the agenda of this Blog is simply to close JRC down …

No, this wouldn’t be enough. Also disengorgement of profits, payment of damages to victims, and a full scale criminal investigation would be appropriate.

30. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 26, 2006 at 20:38 #

Anne: “David, unfortunately the 8th Amendment only protects people who are convicted of crimes.”

That’s the legal fuck-up in the whole issue, isn’t it? :/

Anne: “The US Supreme Court ruled specifically that it doesn’t protect school children,”

Bang goes my respect for those bastards…. :/

Anne: “… if the powers that be could be persuaded to prosecute.”

… and persuading them is going to be very hard… how has the lace remained open so long…? Because the PTB have been intransigent for so long…. see Supreme Court ruling above.

The whole thing actually is making me physically sick now… like you say, the 8th amendment isn’t about all people… should be, though. Such treatment is no less inappropriate, regardless of judicial status.

31. Jackie June 27, 2006 at 14:13 #

Anne: Many there come with supervision of the courts. JRC takes everyone.

32. ALEXIUS June 27, 2006 at 17:39 #

Most groups that try to shut JRC down are really trying to forward a political or philosophical agenda rather than any real concern for the students there. Even if JRC closed, without effective services in place, most of them would be back on heavy doses of medications or under heavy use of restraint.

If what Andrea has said is true and she is able to treat the most challenging behavioral problems using only positive programming and is 100% effective where the leading experts have had success in only 50% of the cases, I would suggest that she draft a proposal and submit it to Dr. Israel. Dr. Israel has asked via the media in the past that if anyone has any positive procedures that are effective that JRC does not currently use, he would be happy to meet with them.

By doing so she would be in a position to help hundreds of individuals immediately. I would suggest anyone else that has real solutions do the same. If you take the time to read the letters of the parents, you’ll see that many of them were desperate and NOTHING else had worked prior to JRC.

Almost 50% of our student population is on positive programming and do not have the GED in their program. JRC uses the GED to treat severe behavioral problems that have not responded to other treatments. If someone is aware of more effective treatment and they have not contacted Dr. Israel, then they, by default are supporting the continued use of the GED no mater what it is they say. Your actions will betray your true agenda.

33. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 27, 2006 at 20:29 #

Alexius: “If someone is aware of more effective treatment and they have not contacted Dr. Israel, then they, by default are supporting the continued use of the GED no mater what it is they say. Your actions will betray your true agenda.”

Rubbish!

Matthew Israel has yet to demonstrate that his use of the GED is anything like ethical. All that he has demonstrated is that he refuses to have conducted any sort of functional behaviour assessments, that he refuses to recognise what is on inmates’ IEPs when they come into the JRC and that he is prepared to take risks with children’s lives.

As for “more effective treatments”… the responsibility is Israel’s when it comes to finding them. Not other people’s. If he is relying on others to show him better ways, then people can definitely try to tell him (and I’m sure that many have!)… and he can choose to ignore them (as I’m sure he has many times now). Waiting for others to tell him is not what I would call a responsible way of working, since it is merely an attempt to shrug of responsibility.

You’re not very good at this, Alexius. Not really that good at all. You have not convinced me that he is prepared to listen to others (let’s face it… Skinner was his mentor and he has ignored everything that Skinner ever wrote!). I doubt that Israel would listen to others… and his behaviour to date suggests that he never will.

Oh, and Alexius… “Most groups that try to shut JRC down are really trying to forward a political or philosophical agenda rather than any real concern for the students there.”

You patronising piece of nothing! Were it not for the concern for students there, there would be no protest… there would be no need! And if Matthew Israel were at all concerned for the welfare of his students, do you really think that he’d be so lazy as to sit on his arse all day *waiting for other people to tell him why he is wrong* (presumably just so he can ignore them, as seems to be his wont)??? Wouldn’t he be more concerned with finding better ways of working off his own bat?

34. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 03:49 #

Alexius: These are the following people with ‘Alex’ in their name working at JRC:

Alexander, Linda, Alexander, Wayne, Dobson, Alexander, Ferguson, Alexia, Hazard, M.Ed, Alexis

Are you one of them?

Aren’t you just a little upset that your employer has publicly published all of the staff’s names?

(Select View> Sourse and then ctr-F ‘Alex’ )

35. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 13:13 #

Alexius’ posts read like she is in a cult.

JRC will punish her and they should. She has disclosed in her arguments that inexperienced and untrained staff administer GED’s, and the results, at times are injuries. She implies that these injuries could have been avoided if JRC did a better job of training. This is damning.

36. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 14:13 #

Two groups of people with a lot of liability for what goes on at JRC are its Board of Directors and the guardians appointed by the court to represent the children’s interest.

Does anyone have any names?

37. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 15:00 #

Can anyone find a link to the annual public disclosure for JRC? I think it is ‘Form PC’ in Mass.

38. JRC Rocks (BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course June 28, 2006 at 17:10 #

I’m new to the board and just got done reading the previous posts. Let me say to David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) – Congratulations on going to college and earning a whole bachelors degree, that must’ve taken you a good 6 years or so. Was the degree in Art or History? Just wondering. Good luck on your pending certification status, I did notice your lack of qualifications didn’t hamper you from giving your opinion, well done. And Andrea, Jackie thank you for the wonderful insight and bias, I must have dated one of you before. One question for the unbelievers though, how does it feel to lose? Cause, I’m telling you, it feels real good to win. See you next year, suckers.

39. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 17:55 #

JRC Rocks: You aren’t my type… I’m not in to S&M.

40. Kev June 28, 2006 at 17:56 #

JRC Rocks is also from the JRC. I’ll be forwarding their IP details to the relevant authorities also.

41. JRC Rocks (BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course June 28, 2006 at 19:30 #

There are relevant authorities for your blog, that’s funny. Is it the grammar police?? If so, many of your educated contributors would have to be locked up. IP’s are irrelevant since most of our pc’s are in general locs and they renew frequently. It doesn’t really matter though, I’d be happy to give you my name, it’s Marshall Mathers for those who would care. No one’s done anything other than goof on the dribble. If you don’t like the post, pull it down. What a sensitive bunch. I’m not sure what S&M is Jackie, I hope its not another law enforcement branch.

I kinda like this board now. It’s fun in a whacky sort of way. I’ll have to come back.

42. Anne June 28, 2006 at 19:46 #

Jackie wrote: “Anne: Many there come with supervision of the courts.”

Court supervision is only meaningful if (a) the court is given all the relevant information and (b) the court’s orders are followed. A look at the court records could be enlightening.

43. Jackie June 28, 2006 at 19:55 #

JRC Rocks: Are you a student?

44. Anne June 28, 2006 at 20:27 #

Eminem, is that you? Do they have you locked up in JRC now?

45. Anne June 28, 2006 at 20:42 #

The two are not mutually exclusive. There *should* be a political or philosophical agenda against the torture of disabled people. Having such an agenda is not indicative of a lack of any real concern for the tortured people. In fact, the opposite is true.

46. questions for JRC staff June 28, 2006 at 21:05 #

For the folks posting from within Dachau-on-the-Neponset… Are you on a break or are you being paid per minute to post your defenses of Dr. Shock’em and Starve’m Israel? Are you being threatened with starvation or electric shock if you don’t comply?

How many employees of JRC are there? What’s with all the clear acrylic furniture and weird decor? It reminds one of that old television series where they gave the man a number and took away his name…

creeeepy. Hopefully all those freaky psychotic room decorations will be loaded into dumpsters and hauled off and burned and buried as JRC gets shut down. That place is like no one’s home. It reaks of sickness. How about those manequin police officers? Who knows what should happen to the staff. They shouldn’t be turned loose on an unsuspecting public.

47. Kev June 28, 2006 at 21:42 #

_”IP’s are irrelevant since most of our pc’s are in general locs and they renew frequently.”_

I’m afraid that doesn’t matter at all. PC login ID’s compared to times, compared to IP times = found you 🙂

48. ALEXIUS June 29, 2006 at 01:20 #

Jackie : “Alexius’ posts read like she is in a cult.
    JRC will punish her and they should. She has disclosed in her arguments that…”
    At no time have I stated or even implied such things and if anyone by any stretch of the imagination has read such things into my post, let me make it very clear. This is an inaccurate representation of my posts. If I ever had such concerns, I would surely have passed them onto the administration. This is encouraged at JRC and employees are rewarded for doing so.

49. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 03:09 #

JRC Rocks (BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course: “Let me say to David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) – Congratulations on going to college and earning a whole bachelors degree, that must’ve taken you a good 6 years or so. Was the degree in Art or History? Just wondering.”

Okay. For a start, smart-arse, my studies have a major in psychology (yes, this is why I can critise your boss’s methods so well!). Looks to me like you have no education whatsoever to speak of (and ever less in the way of manners!).

JRC Rocks (BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course: “I did notice your lack of qualifications didn’t hamper you from giving your opinion…”

Um… I do have qualifications… you quoted them, you idiot! Seems like you have none, though.

JRC Rocks (BA)(MSMC)(BDA) Pending of course: “One question for the unbelievers though, how does it feel to lose? Cause, I’m telling you, it feels real good to win. See you next year, suckers.”

Well, if that is the calibre of staff that Matthew Israel is able to buy for his torture house, I’m not surprised people want to shut the place down…. and if I were Matt Israel, I am pretty damn sure I’d want JRC Rocks off my staff since all that s/he is doing here is making sure that people see JRC in a seriously bad light.

Now, JRC Rocks…. do everybody a favour….

Die!

50. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 29, 2006 at 03:11 #

From a newspaper: “All mainstream state and national disability rights organizations oppose the use of painful aversives. The report issued by the New York Board of Regents found the center unsafe, and the board is poised to pull its students from the program. It’s time for Massachusetts to do the same, and, more important, to ban aversive therapy.”

But the biggest reason to close the place down is that it creates imbeciles like JRC Rocks!