Kevin Leitch: Big Pharma Shill

25 Jun

I’m involved in a protracted discussion with a bunch of anti-vaccinationistas on what claims to be an autism support forum. Amongst them is the hilarious srniath who is treating is child with Lupron but who didn’t know what CPP or PPP was and didn’t know that excess testosterone could be caused by vitamin and supplements.

Another one is someone one calls themselves ‘respect’ and who is an out-and-out anti-vaxxer:

I think we are missing the forest for the trees. Will we all go out and vaccinate our kids with 20 vaccinations before the age of 18 months just because there is no mercury in them? The issue here must the vaccination, and not just the mercury.

Source.

Other regulars there include Erik ‘PR for the Geier’s’ Nanstiel and various other posters – I’ve heard various conspiracy theories totuted around including the eye-popping theory that the World Trade Center terrorist attacks were perpetrated by shadowy US government figures.

Basically, there’s a few good people there but they are drowned out by the louder wingnuts.

Anyway, I’m involved in a discussion regarding the nature of neurodiversity (srinath is again involved so you’re assured of the odd good belly laugh) and it seems that I’ve been outed as a pharma shill! Again!

‘repect’ googled for “kevin leitch pharmaceutical” and damn – got a result!

Department for International Development (DFID)

Kevin Leitch
Programme Officer
Department for International Development (DFID)
HPD, Level 8 West, 1 Palace Street
London SW1 5HE
United Kingdom
Phone: 44.020.7023.1121
Fax: 44.020.7023.0428/0174
Email: k-leitch@dfid.gov.uk

Oh man – who would’ve thought that using my real name would’ve led me to being outed? I would’ve gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you darn kids!

Anyway, just in case there’s any confusion in the future I’d like to make clear that I am not Kevin Leitch. Nor am I Kevin Leitch, or Kevin Leitch, or Kevin Leitch, or Kevin Leitch, or Kevin Leitch and sadly not Kevin Leitch.

10 Responses to “Kevin Leitch: Big Pharma Shill”

1. David N. Andrews BA-status, PgCertSpEd (pending) June 25, 2006 at 11:17 #

Kev: “I admit this really tickled my funny bone – how desperate do you have to be to discredit a broke web developer from the West Midlands?”

Well, since you ask, Kev…. I’d say one would have to be *very* sadly desperate indeed… desperate to the point of stupidity, probably.

2. little bo peep June 25, 2006 at 12:11 #

I recommend Kev’s above mentioned source most highly! Participation is welcome.

There’s been such an uptick in “Media & Politics” (i.e., debating) lately, that a moderator has been added, just to police this section.

Warning: This forum is intensely captivating and therefore, dangerously addictive!

3. LittleManzMama June 25, 2006 at 13:28 #

You’re OK, LBP! ;o)

Autism Web…. Occasional Drama, but Liberty for all!

(P.s. It’s the “liberty” part that makes it such a great place to visit)

4. GMAC June 25, 2006 at 16:21 #

Liberty for whom? Certainly not me…

5. LittleManzMama June 25, 2006 at 19:20 #

Hi GMAC,

That is a matter of perception – yours I’m afraid.

6. HN June 25, 2006 at 20:28 #

Hey GMAC… I just checked out your blog.

You are not alone. I voluntarily left a listserv for my son’s disability (a speech disability one, NOT autism) because it was taken over by the “Mercury Moms”… and it was not even an autism listserv, PLUS a couple of the kids had the disability because of actually getting the diseases like Hib!

I tried some posts trying to explain that chelation was a bad idea, only to not get any support from the moderators. So I left… a month before the little boy died from IV EDTA in Pennsylvania. Oddly, enough… not far from where the list moderators live.

On subject… I just did a “zabasearch” on my name. I had to use my full first name AND my middle initial before it stopped telling that there were too many with my name. As it is there are about half a dozen in the USA with my full name plus middle initial! When I use the name I go by… Google brings up almst 45000 hits.

7. Elisabeth Clark June 25, 2006 at 22:16 #

LOL Kev… nothing gets past the mercury detection squad, eh? You dare to disagree with them?? You MUST be a pharma shill!!

8. Liz Ditz June 25, 2006 at 22:20 #

now there’s an argument for giving your child a unique name–or not. If you give your child a unique name, then he/she is more findable in the brave new internets; a common name creates the opportunity for the “hide in plain sight” kind of anonymity.

When I was in high school, Eric Hoffer came to speak with us. I haven’t read “The True Believer” for thirty years; I should probably re-read it if I’m going to be around MercMoms and the like.

9. Ms Clark June 25, 2006 at 23:22 #

That’s pretty funny.

10. clone3g June 27, 2006 at 14:07 #

I can’t understand how you can try to have a discussion with Srinath on that board. I thought Erik was a wellspring of bad advice and unscientific thought but Srinath is over the top and annoying as hell.

Bad enough they’ve decided to experiment on their own kids but they are actively recruiting more marks for the Geier-con.

Not cool Srinath. Not cool at all