New Commenting Policy

7 Mar

Due to circumstances beyond my control I am implementing – for the first time ever – an actual concrete comment policy.

From this point on no person commenting at this site will be allowed to post something about any other person that is not 100% verifiably true. This means something like ‘John Smith is a dick head’ is not allowed. It means ‘John Smith killed my mum’ is not allowed. It means ‘In my opinion John Smith is the dick head who killed my mum’ is not allowed.

By verifiably true I do not mean simply linking to another website. It has to actually be true beyond any doubt.

It doesn’t matter if its done in jest.
It doesn’t matter if its between two mates and done in jest.
It doesn’t matter if you really, really don’t like someone.

We can do this the hard way or the easy way. The easy way is everyone doesn’t post anything about someone else that isn’t 100% verifiably true. The hard way is that I first turn on total comment moderation and no comments get posted without my approval and then I get bored of doing that and turn off comments completely.

Why am I doing this now?

Due to circumstances beyond my control *that I will not discuss*. Suffice it to say that I am legally responsible for anything that you post on my website.

You may also notice over the next couple of weeks, sections of posts, comments and whole posts being deleted from this blog.

Thanks readers, sorry to sound like a control freak 🙂

17 Responses to “New Commenting Policy”

1. Catherina March 7, 2008 at 12:10 #

sorry you are being given a hard time – best of luck!

2. Dawn March 7, 2008 at 12:43 #

Kev…sorry to read that you have to do this. Good luck.

3. Shinga March 7, 2008 at 12:49 #

Kev – this has been on the cards since that MumsNet-Gina Ford case and I’m really sorry that this has enmeshed you.

Best wishes to your and yours.

4. bones March 7, 2008 at 15:10 #

sucks

5. Diane March 8, 2008 at 23:42 #

Finally. You got you? Kim? David? JB? Bravo to whoever it is.

6. Kev March 9, 2008 at 00:30 #

I’m not allowed to discuss it Diane – assuming of course you meant _who_ got you.

7. Diane March 9, 2008 at 01:47 #

Yes Kev…I did mean WHO got you. Which, of course, I didn’t expect you to answer because you can’t. But I am grateful the bashing of others on your site will finally come to an end. At least in the comments section.

8. Ms. Clark March 9, 2008 at 02:47 #

I would guess that Kev has been bullied into not criticizing people who don’t like to be criticized.

The causes of bullying include the desire to control, revenge, envy, and emotional distress.

The great intimidators.

A concern:
    CONCLUSIONS: Boys who frequently bully are at risk for later criminality when this condition is accompanied by a high level of psychiatric symptoms. Frequent bullies should be actively screened for psychiatric problems.

9. Kev March 9, 2008 at 08:33 #

For anyone interested in the subject, here are some links regarding libel in the UK:

1) Libel tourism
    2) Basic UK Libel for Idiots
    3) This is Libel
    4) Defamation Act 1996

These are for information only. Please do not use them to speculate about people or motives.

10. century March 9, 2008 at 15:23 #

“I’m not allowed to discuss it Diane”

have you been gagged? 😉

11. Ms. Clark March 9, 2008 at 21:03 #

I would think from what I can see that maybe he’s been SLAPP’d.

Considering what I know about the mercury malicia, I would guess it might be a bored and angry member of the malicia who is doing the SLAPPing.

But that’s merely conjecture, maybe there’s another explanation.

12. Kev March 10, 2008 at 08:44 #

_”have you been gagged? ;)_

I’m not allowed to discuss it century but you made me grin 😉

13. century March 10, 2008 at 11:12 #

“I’m not allowed to discuss it century..”

I know – it was a rhetorical question.

“..but you made me grin ;)”

Glad you took it the way it was intended.

14. David N. Andrews M. Ed. (Distinction) March 11, 2008 at 04:40 #

“But that’s merely conjecture, maybe there’s another explanation.”

Indeed. Maybe there isn’t.

Wonder if we could get enough money together to do it to them….

15. Ivan March 15, 2008 at 03:43 #

hey there……

I got to you from Grey Matter/White Matter………..

are you going to save the stuff that you’re deleting from here……somewhere else?

It would really be a shame for you to have to get rid of good stuff just because you’ve been bullied/threatened by others……

I’ll definitely be back to check out the material here………and start looking around after posting this. It’s my first time really looking at it……….

cheers

Ivan
    one of three personalities living together in a female body

16. Kev March 15, 2008 at 10:11 #

Hi Ivan,

No, once its gone, its gone I’m afraid. Putting it somewhere else would make me just as liable.

17. Jemaleddin March 17, 2008 at 14:23 #

Your blog, your rules – best of luck with whatever brought this on.