Green This

11 Jun

OK, so here’s the back of the t-shirt:
Green our vaccines

(click for bigger – I want you to read the ingredients list).

First of all – who’s decision was it to use Impact as a font? Whoever it was shoot them, they’re uncreative and uninspired. It looks shit. Seriously. it looks like you stepped back in a time machine to 1999 and decided it looked ‘kewl’. It doesn’t.

Anyway, as you can see, plenty of scare mongering went on. I think they forgot to include Eye of Newt though.

So lets actually go through what’s on that list and how true it actually is.

Aluminium

Yeah, there’s Aluminium in vaccines.

There’s also Aluminium in breast milk so lets compare the two.

According to this paper (which is from 1990 – any more up to date papers welcomed) the amount of Aluminium in breast milk is 49 μg/L. The average amount of breast milk expressed per day is 0.85 liters.

This means that 41.65μg Aluminium per day is in breast milk.

Now, according to this paper, there is between 125 – 850μg of Aluminium per dose in a vaccine.

Using this page and this page I estimated (and I’m welcome to correction) that by the time a child reaches 6 years old they will have received 17 Aluminium containing vaccines.

So, for a 6 year old, total Aluminium is between 2,125 – 14,450μg.

In real terms this means that after between 51 and 346 days breast feeding, a 6 year old will have taken onboard the same amount of Aluminium as from the total US vaccine schedule.

Now I couldn’t find out what vaccines contained the lower amount or which contained the higher amount. Even so, this means that if every vaccine a 6 year old has that contains Aluminium contains the highest possible amount, within a year of breast feeding they will have matched that.

Or to put it another way, an anti-vax tree-hugger soccer mom who doesn’t vaccinate her baby will have given him the same amount of Aluminium he would’ve had in six years after one year of breast feeding.

And thats of course, not even touched on the fact that:

In the Earth’s crust, aluminium is the most abundant (8.13%) metallic element, and the third most abundant of all elements (after oxygen and silicon)

And is found naturally occurring in sea water, fresh water, the human body etc etc.

Formaldehyde

Yeah, there’s Formaldehyde in vaccines.

There’s also Formaldehyde in Apples, Apricots, Banana’s and….ah, I lost interest. Lots of stuff. Including the human body.

So – how much is in vaccines?

According to this and using it in combination with the US vaccine schedule referenced above, we can see that the total amount of Formaldehyde in vaccines from the vaccine schedule for a 6 year old child is 1.2016mg (again, do your own maths, correct me if I’m wrong).

For comparison to that 1.2mg in all vaccines for a 6 year old, 1 (one) banana contains 16.3mg Formaldehyde.

So, what I’m saying is that nanaslices this is a picture of 3x the amount of Formaldehyde you’ll find in the entire vaccine schedule of a 0 – 6 year old US child.

Anti-Freeze

There’s no anti-freeze in vaccines. A single component of antifreeze – polyethylene glycol – is used to inactivate the flu virus in one brand of that vaccine; it is also used in the purification of certain vaccines. Its also used in some skin creams and toothpastes.

Thats all I can be bothered to do. If anyone wants to tackle the rest, be my guest in the comments.

20 Responses to “Green This”

1. brian June 11, 2008 at 21:04 #

Parent’s who believe that vaccines cause autism and who have difficulty understanding that clearly genetic diseases such as Rett syndrome and Huntington’s chorea can manifest after months or years of apparently normal development are now connecting puberty with the allegedly toxic effects of middle school.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that many healthy, happy, and normal children become sullen and withdrawn and develop acne after entering middle school. Understandably, this has lead to demands to “Green Our Middle Schools.”

“Too Much Too Soon” activists propose eliminating grade 8 and spreading the remaining middle school grades out over several years; in particular, they say that Algebra should be avoided since many in the movement can’t understand why that would be important at all.

2. Ms. Clark June 11, 2008 at 21:18 #

What I find shocking is that parents frequently fail to show signs of wrinkles or grey hair until their children are in middle school. Think about it. The toxic effect of middle school is not confined to the students!

The amount of aluminum in soy formula is supposed to be really high, too. I wonder if autism is found at higher rates in kids who were fed soy formula or whose moms ate tofu while pregnant and nursing? Never mind what happened to all those defenseless embryos and fetuses whose mothers ate bananas AND fish, you can imagine the toxic synergy of the mercury and the formaldehyde!!!! Oh, the humanity!!!!

3. mjs June 11, 2008 at 23:26 #

there is also a lot of aluminum in the processed cheese food slices that are served up to our kiddies in all those happy meals. Should McD’s go on trial for causing autism in toddlers who developed normally until they were invited to the playplace restaurants to eat toxic food with plastic toys full of lead?

4. Kev June 11, 2008 at 23:28 #

Hell yes!

Fast food emporiums, anyone who is lactating, the earth’s crust, water, fresh fruit – sue them all!

5. Regan June 11, 2008 at 23:37 #

I breast fed.
    Guess I should sue myself.

6. Gmommy June 12, 2008 at 01:50 #

Ok, this may be slightly off topic. I’ve posted here before about my fear or confusion about getting my daughter vaccinated. She is 16 months and getting her MMR and Varicella immunizations tomorrow. I’m still slightly nervous but I feel mostly confident that I’m making the right decision about continuing to vaccinate. However I won’t mind some more encouraging words before our appointment tomorrow. She has had no delays in development that I or my ped can see. thanks in advance.

7. HCN June 12, 2008 at 02:26 #

Gmommy, she should be fine. Just watch for a rise in temp or a bit of misery, if that happens it usually passes in a day (tylonol or pediatric ibuprofen helps). The vaccine is a just a teeny tiny fraction of the biological bit if one were to catch the actual disease. Measles, mumps and chicken pox are really not fun, even if a child comes out unscathed.

All three of my kids flew through the MMR just fine. They all got the actual chicken pox disease. That was no fun. It is very difficult to comfort a very itchy 6-month old baby covered in pox.

And back on topic: you can make her feel better with banana smoothies… 😉

8. Science Mom June 12, 2008 at 03:41 #

Kev, I have this discussion on numerous boards and there is a ‘route of administration’ coefficient, if you will that needs to be taken into consideration. That is that oral or ingested aluminum is excreted at a much higher rate than is IV or IM administered aluminum. The following paper: Aluminum toxicokinetics regarding infant diet and vaccinations, does a nice job of comparing dietary aluminum with IM administered aluminum in infants using the Priest et al. aluminum toxicokinetic studies.

The bottom line is that aluminum from vaccine administration briefly exceeds the minimum risk level established and then falls below while dietary aluminum increases and total aluminum body burden is attributable to dietary sources.

If you want the full text, please feel free to email me.

9. kristina June 12, 2008 at 04:05 #

Regan, still laughing—–I am just going to blame the herb soup my grandmother made us drink.

10. Ms. Clark June 12, 2008 at 04:28 #

There’s always the LaLeche League, but I don’t suppose they a lot of money to take, not like Big Aluminum.

11. Leila June 12, 2008 at 17:12 #

They’re trying to appeal to the liberals with the “green” message and the conservatives with the “aborted fetal tissue” stuff. Lame.

As for the animal cells, all I can say is that my father is still alive for the last 8 years thanks to good chunks of bovine and swine tissue that replaced a dead part of his heart.

12. Regan June 12, 2008 at 19:46 #

——————
    Good catch.
    The point is to play up the worst angles, such as that substitution of antifreeze for PEG, etc.
    Interestingly enough, the other day I visited a “Green” site that gave a pretty restrained discussion of formaldehyde, the daily commercial products it is found in, the amounts, and how we contain and utilize it as part of our own biochemical cycles, and how it is found in such, as those bananas, etc.

13. Gmommy June 13, 2008 at 00:58 #

Hello, so my girl had her vaccines today it’s been 7 hours and she is still the same baby, no vanishing in front of my eyes as of yet. I’m keeping a close eye out on her. But boy was she angry!!!!

14. S.L. June 13, 2008 at 04:05 #

Gmommy: FWIW, our daughter had delays very early on (by 6 mos of age) and physical health issues–I think her vaccines have made her stronger, and am so grateful for them. Each year, her immune system gets stronger (and this is a child who was sick constantly, hospitalized a couple of times).

I’m sorry that the anti-vax debate has sent so much fear into parents today. Feel good that you have protected your child. I always give Tylenol and Motrin (4-6 hours apart) on shot days. There’s a new book coming out, “Do Vaccines Cause That?” I just read it & while I’ve never been weary of vaccines, this really helped me understand vaccines, the debates, etc. It may help you feel less worried for the next round of shots.

15. S.L. June 13, 2008 at 04:23 #

Sorry, Kev…I was going to tackle the rest of that list but I ate a banana and soy milk earlier, and this headache will not go away.

I drank some water and apple slices to see if that would help, and I still didn’t feel like myself. It was like I had been hit by a bus…

So I brushed my teeth and put some lotion on, and now the best way I can think to explain is, it’s like aliens abducted me.

Off to go find a B12 injection…

16. Kev June 13, 2008 at 06:51 #

Science Mom – thanks, someone else had already sent me that and I meant to discuss it but totally forgot so – thanks for the reminder!

Gmommy – good on you 🙂

S.L. – don’t worry, if you feel like you’re a stolen empty shell of a train wreck who’s been hit by a car you can sue!!$££$$

17. Patrick June 13, 2008 at 19:09 #

Yay 4 Gmommy and the lil one!

I hope all is calm after her initial burst of anger though.

18. Gmommy June 14, 2008 at 02:04 #

Ha, she is fine. I brought her to have a cupcake afterwards. She just ate the frosting…so if anything should happen I will blame the frosting since it’s probably only the second time she’s had it and it would just coincide….

19. Ms. Clark June 14, 2008 at 02:10 #

Ah, too many cupcakes, too soon…. I’m assuming it was a gluten and casein free cupcake. 🙂

1. Autism Blog - Dear Mercury and MMR Militia | Left Brain/Right Brain - June 21, 2008

[…] you not understand that to expect the AAP will turn up for a rally which touts such anti-science as Aluminium and Formaldehyde being at singularly dangerous levels in vaccines and Anti-Freeze being in… is the height of arrogant stupidity? Surely you cannot be that […]