Paul Offit gets more threats of violence

6 Jul

Over on the EoH Yahoo Group, Paul Offit (hated because he co-produced a piece of science that suggested that theoretically, infants could cope with thousands of vaccinations and there’s no science to refute it) is a figure of hate. True, burning liquid hate. He’s received:

<blockquote>…hundreds of malicious and threatening emails, letters and phone calls accusing him of poisoning children and “selling out” to pharmaceutical companies. One phone caller listed the names of Offit’s two young children and the name of their school. One email contained a death threat—”I will hang you by your neck until you’re dead”—that Offit reported to federal investigators.</blockquote>

And here we are again, on that font of all things Offit-hatred related, EoH, with yet another threat from yet another member. This time made on the Group itself:

<blockquote>From: Sophia Lauren <sophya_lauren@***>
Date: Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: Paul Offit’s Panel Not Canceled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To: EOHarm@yahoogroups.com

I see him often. Almost daily in fact. You have no idea how difficult it is for me not to slug him. Or worse.

Sophia

</blockquote>

Here’s a lady who sees Dr Offit ‘almost daily’ and wants to slug him or worse. What can we find out about this lady? She has a blog so lets start there. Of course, she’s an anti-vaccine believer (except…y’know, nobody over there is really anti-vaccine, they just want to greeeeen them, right? Right. And if you believe that…)

Sophia Lauren (which I’m assuming is a pseudonym) who sees Dr Offit almost everyday is revealing in some of her blog posts. Leaving aside the usual anti-vax canards;

<blockquote>A mom with an adorable 15 month old little boy comes to our neurology center sent by referral from her pediatrician. Needs an EEG. *I’m learning EEG*. So we’re hooking him up and I start to take the history. Mom says he takes multi vitamins, and then dad says “yes he was fine until Monday when he had his vaccinations. He had a seizure Monday night and then again yesterday.” My mouth must have hit the floor. The mother knew immediately that I sensed something. *I wear a white lab coat, says “Neurology” on the sleeve*. I guess I look like a doctor.</blockquote>

and

<blockquote>*I’m in a “teaching hospital”* that thinks the vaccination schedule is just dandy. And they don’t believe there is a link between vaccines, seizures and Autism. But I do.</blockquote>

So, here’s a lady who’s currently learning EEG in the Neurology Dept of a teaching hospital and who sees Dr Offit nearly every day which I take to mean she works in the same hospital.

She closes that particular post with this little nugget:

<blockquote>The people who make Gardasil……Someone should euthanize (sic) them. One at a time. So they can all take a number and take turns and watch.</blockquote>

Yikes.

I was intrigued (and more than a little taken aback) by the venom in this person. So I went back to her earliest blog post to have a look. Here’s what I found at the end of the first entry (dated Aug 2007):

<blockquote>He (her son) is an Indigo Child….a Crystalline Child. One of the phenomenon that we are hearing more and more about. He is, in every way, an “Angel on Earth.</blockquote>

So there you go. Sophia Lauren who wants to euthanize (sic) people is an Indigo bleever. She mentions it again here:

<blockquote>I have three children. Brilliantly intelligent and gifted children. My oldest has the gift of high intelligence and an amazing interpersonal sense…they call him an “Indigo.” (www.indigochild.com). My daughter has her mother’s fire….and a gift for art and drawing that is unmistakable. My youngest has been blessed with a love and joy of life and the true gift of the “crystal child’s” disposition….he embraces every moment, every day, with a zest and unbelievable enthusiasm that should be bottled. (http://www.starchildglobal.com/) They all have “something”…some sort of a diagnosis that makes them, let us say “neurogically different.”</blockquote>

Hot damn Sophia! You’re saying that all your kids are neurologically different and yet its the vaccines???

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt I guess.

For a truly disturbing post, check out <a href=”http://justamom2three.blogspot.com/2007/11/happy-birthday-dad.html&#8221; rel=”nofollow”>Happy Birthday Dad</a> in which ‘Sophia’ details how her Crystal Child son is actually the divine reincarnation of her dead father. I kid you not.

I’ll close this with a hope that this person can be identified and her threat of violence reported to the relevant authorities.

18 Responses to “Paul Offit gets more threats of violence”

1. Joseph July 6, 2008 at 14:15 #

Woo attracts woo. I think that’s called Orac’s law (or it should).

2. Liz Ditz July 6, 2008 at 18:13 #

Thanks for keeping up on this, Kev. I hope somebody is taking screenshots.

“Sophia” is truly creepy.

3. Maddy July 6, 2008 at 18:24 #

I certainly wouldn’t go too far in mocking other people’s beliefs, especially as I’m still a firm advocate of the tooth fairy, but there’s a lot to be said for keeping one’s own counsel.
    Cheers

4. Notteh Starchild July 6, 2008 at 20:46 #

In her blog she says her youngest child was born by caesarean section. He wasn’t breathing and was floppy at birth. She says she was 41 years old when she gave birth to him. So I suppose that tells her that it’s the vaccines that made her son a Crystal? I am curious why she hasn’t brought the news of the glorious age of Indigos and Crystals to the EoHarm group? Perhaps she will educate the Neurology department about the new age.

5. jypsy July 6, 2008 at 22:49 #

Seems she’s had issues with you(Kev) and Offit for a while now….

6. Monica July 6, 2008 at 23:39 #

I have to wonder how so much hatred and anger could possibly be helping their children in any way. I feel quite sad for those children….

And I have only been reading your blog for a little while, but I really appreciate the information on it.

Monica

7. HCN July 7, 2008 at 04:56 #

After reading her feelings about a kid coming in for an EEG after a seizure that may have been from a vaccine…

What kind of support or reaction would she have had with my kid? His first seizures were before any vaccines (he is almost 20, so this was before HepB). And when he was a bit over a year old he was transported by ambulance to the emergency department after a major seizure due to what is now a vaccine preventable disease.

What would she say to a mom whose kid had seizures from Hib, measles, pertussis and other illness… “oh, gee, sucks for you!”

(something my 14 year old daughter has been known to say)

…. to add… if she has a kid about the age of my oldest and lives near Philadelphia, how can she forget the nine children there who died from measles during the 1989-1991 outbreak?

8. Ringside seat July 7, 2008 at 06:46 #

I don’t know why anybody would want to read those hatesites. I think it’s a mistake even to link to them, as this only exposes more people to hatred.

9. Kev July 7, 2008 at 09:24 #

Jypsy: ah, she’s a regular at John’s blog eh? That explains a lot.

10. Anthony July 7, 2008 at 12:28 #

I love the way she uses a Ghandi quote.

Nice touch.

11. isles July 7, 2008 at 14:03 #

I’m more than a little scared to know that this kind of person has found employment in a prestigious hospital.

I’ve always known it was possible for an otherwise sane and intelligent person to suffer a logic block when it comes to his or her child’s autism, but it sounds as though “Sophia Lauren” has entirely departed the world of the rational.

12. Bink July 7, 2008 at 15:39 #

Yikes. I just peeked at that website, and based on reading her first few posts — she’s making stuff up. She’s a liar, with some kind of personality disorder. The things she claims to say to people and hear from people and receive from people — that screams bull*** to me. I have been around internet boards for a long time and can spot this kind of mendacity a mile away.

I hope she isn’t actually employed where she says she is, but if that part is true, I hope Dr. Offit is notified of this and can protect himself.

13. Matt July 7, 2008 at 16:40 #

If she has any professionalism, she’d say, “the doctor will go over these results with you.” since she is merely taking the data.

14. Kev July 7, 2008 at 18:43 #

Ah, but she knows better than that Matt. According to her blog: _”Nobody gets vaccines on my watch.”_

15. Sullivan July 7, 2008 at 19:55 #

Ah, but she knows better than that Matt. According to her blog: “Nobody gets vaccines on my watch.”

If so, she should be shown the door. Not for her beliefs, but for her actions.

How much of that statement was empty bragging? I haven’t read the blog, but how often was she actually in a position to administer vaccinations?

On the other hand, let’s say that some family who interacted with her later had their child become ill from a vaccine preventable disease. Could they file a complaint stating that this person talked them out of the vaccine? Worse yet, what if they claim that this person must have administered a fake vaccine?

This sound like a real headache for the HR people and her manager.

16. Regan July 7, 2008 at 21:05 #

Bink may have the right tack on this. I’ve also seen people do that “oh yeah, I can top that” thing to the point of just making stuff up. The concern that I have is getting someone worked up to the point of seriously acting on some of the venting and threatening language.

I thought the blog, which I have no plans to revisit, was more than a little odd and certainly self-absorbed. I don’t know if the author is really working at the hospital in any capacity, but if so, I know that I wouldn’t want her performing any procedures on my child.

17. Bink July 7, 2008 at 23:49 #

I had my first child at that hospital, lived in the area for years, and knew many people who worked there (I worked in the same system in a different capacity.) I simply don’t believe what she is claiming to do/be/say.

Again though, I hope Dr. Offit is aware of this and takes appropriate action, if “Sophia Lauren” does work there, and if she is anywhere near him. This isn’t funny. Whoever is writing that blog has serious problems that should not be taken lightly.

18. Ms. Clark July 8, 2008 at 01:28 #

I for one am grateful that “Sophia” has outed herself as both seriously antivaccine and a believer in the Indigo crystal thing, while also being a regular contributor to the EoHarm Yahoo! group and commenter on antivax/autism/biomuddled blogs. No one has bothered to try to tell her that she’s too extreme in her views on vaccines. No one has told her to stop commenting on EoHarm because she’s muddying the mercury message with the Indigo message in the same way Jenny McCarthy is. But then it would seem that Lenny Schafer, AoA and GR have embraced Jenny and presumably her Indigo/Crystal/New-Age bizarreness. I look to see Crystal Balls, Tarot cards, incense and do-it-yourself cupping kits for sale at Autism One next year.