Happy Birthday Katie

22 Jul

Today, Katie McCarron should have been six. Just about three years older than my youngest and two years younger than my oldest pair of girls.

Its still difficult – impossible – to think of Katie without thinking that in a fair and just world, we would never have heard of Katie and she would be just another little girl, one amongst billions, anonymous and safe.

I know that Katie’s family will be going to her grave today and so I ask you that, if you are the kind of person who prays to pray hard for them. They must go through the pain soon of an appeal hearing as Katie’s killer seeks once more to escape her responsibilities. If you not the sort who prays, then send them good thoughts.

If you look on the home page of this site you will see a pink ribbon on the left hand side. This is my best graphical representation of the pink ribbon, chosen by Kassiane and worn by the McCarrons every day of the killers trial and by me too during those days as Mike and Paul brought some over to us when they visited us last year. Please click that ribbon for photographs of Katie. Remember her.

There is also a memorial grove where you can donate money for a grove of trees for Katie. Her dad and grandad visited the grove and saw the young living saplings that her life had inspired to be planted. They grow wild and free, as should a little girl from Illinois in whose memory they thrive.

6 Responses to “Happy Birthday Katie”

1. Catherina July 22, 2008 at 09:40 #

Happy Birthday Katie – warmest thoughts to the family and friends who love(d) you.

2. Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay July 22, 2008 at 14:05 #

A birthday is special. In this world or that.

I do not know Katie. I will never know her.
    But I wish her a happy birthday and hope she remembers it as fondly as her family and those who loved her wherever she is.

And Thanks to her family- she is not ‘just another girl!’

best,
    Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay

3. Mike McCarron July 22, 2008 at 19:54 #

Thanks for the remembrance Kevin. It has been a difficult couple of years but having friends and family such as you have made it easier. Your flower will be placed on her grave along with mine. She was with us a very short time, but we remain very proud of her. Her many small victories still resonate in our hearts with love.

4. Liz Ditz July 22, 2008 at 20:41 #

Happy birthday, Katie dear — and my warmest, most supportive thoughts to your family.

5. Bink July 23, 2008 at 01:07 #

I think of Katie often. My thoughts go out to those who loved her.

I have written and erased about a dozen sentences and feel like crying.

I have a child much like Katie. I am lucky. I wish her mother had known how lucky she was.

6. Ms. Clark July 23, 2008 at 20:03 #

I have a child much like Katie, too. It makes me cry to think about precious Katie McCarron and how much the world lost when she died.