Autism Myths

11 Nov

It is my great pleasure to release my latest website – Autism Myths. Its not a blog, its more like a collection of blog posts on very specific subjects regarding autism.

Topics referenced so far are:

The IOM Are Afraid to Look At Susceptibility Groups
The Myth That Autistic Children Can’t Develop
The Myth of No Autistic Adults
The ‘Leaky Gut’ Hypothesis
The Myth of Overwhelming Immunity
Misleading Lab Reports
“Mrs Toast”
The Autism Epidemic
The Verstraten Paper
The Poling Concession
The Simpsonwood Conspiracy
The Amish Anomaly

Please use the contact page to send me comments and suggestions but if you do suggest stuff, please include a link to a blog entry that you think best dispels the myth in question. Please further note that the site is *not* just about vaccines, it is about all myths related to autism.

14 Responses to “Autism Myths”

1. Socrates November 11, 2008 at 13:23 #

I came across it the other day, while researching the forthcoming publication of the Shattock GFCF study.

Nice One.

2. CS November 11, 2008 at 14:10 #

That’s a very nice site, clean, easy to read and really really great looking, I like it better than this one in terms of style and navigability. Congrats. I’ll link it to my new one.

3. Suzie November 11, 2008 at 14:19 #

Beautiful site and an excellent reference point. Well done!

4. Casdok November 11, 2008 at 14:37 #

Excellent idea! And it looks great.

5. Kev November 11, 2008 at 14:48 #

Thats right, all of you tell me how lovely the site I bought the design of was rather than the one I built myself *cries*

😉

j/k

6. Joseph November 11, 2008 at 16:23 #

I particularly like the myth of no autistic adults, and the myth of no development in autism 🙂

Thanks for including those posts.

7. alyric November 11, 2008 at 17:10 #

I’m collecting anti-vaxx canards from Kirby’s outpourings – mostly because I’m immobile at the moment so it’s something to do, which also explains why i’m more cross with some folks than is usual.

8. David N. Andrews M. Ed. (Distinction) November 11, 2008 at 17:53 #

well laid out and very informative even now…

looks very good!

nice one, Kevin!

9. bullet November 12, 2008 at 00:40 #

I like it. Can you add the myth that it’s easy for an under three year old to get an autism diagnosis? Or obvious to spot the autism. So many toddlers display autistic behaviours that many professionals adopt a “wait and see” policy if parents do suggest their child needs to be assessed. We were very lucky with Tom’s early diagnosis.

10. Socrates November 12, 2008 at 07:33 #

Am I the only one that thinks that the ARU at Sunderland being run by a Veterinary Pharmacist is a bit odd?

And, have you ever read the "Sunderland Protocol"?

And when will the Shattock GFCF study be published? Presumably when they've finished waterboarding the data…

11. Paulene Angela November 12, 2008 at 08:45 #

Thank you for your reply Kev.

I do not wish to knock the work of Shattock/Uni of Sunderland as I have seen first hand so many children here in Spain (not all) that have been helped "not cured" with the implementation of the CFCF diet. I have seen the before and after effect, quite amazing, and it's a drug free approach.

However I agree it is not the cause. Interesting the majority of parents I know who have turned to the GF/CF diet also exam very carefully other nutritional inputs, i.e. no sugar, no additives, no fizzy drinks, so perhaps it is the overall combination of eating smart that gives the final positive result!

Will check back on your website, it will be very valuable tool as unfortunately there is a lot of "false hype" out there on planet earth and this will hopefully aid interested parties to clear through the fog.

12. Paulene Angela November 12, 2008 at 10:04 #

The ‘Leaky Gut’ Hypothesis

There is a massive amount of evidence that can back up this “hypothesis”. You need to be looking at the Italian and Swiss medical specialists they would beg to differ as would the University of Sunderland.

Are you refering to the fact that it is not the general cause for Autism?

The website is a super idea.

13. Socrates November 12, 2008 at 11:39 #

Well, I don't think there's much dispute that a good diet, is good for children, all children.

It is worth noting though, that there has been some potentially serious problems noted with bone growth in boys on a cfgf diet.

14. Kev November 12, 2008 at 20:17 #

_”Are you refering to the fact that it is not the general cause for Autism?”_

Thats it exactly Paulene – I’ll tighten up the language.