A Christmas message of woe from Generation Rescue and Jenny McCarthy

22 Dec

I just got the Generation Rescue end-of-year fundraiser email. Jenny McCarthy tells us about how there are only two types of autism parents:

Dear Fellow Warrior,

My mantra is Never Give Up. This year, we “never gave up” in spades!

This year I had the honor of giving the keynote address at the AutismOne conference. The largest gathering of families, physicians and researchers pursuing biomedical treatment. I talked about trains. First, there’s Train A

You do absolutely everything you can for your child, no matter what anyone tells you. Then, there’s Train B: Woe is me. We are Train A People. Which isn’t always easy, right? But it’s always, always worth it.

and it goes on.

If Jenny McCarthy wants to slam other parents as “giving up” and being “woe is me” types, I guess that’s her right. She’s certainly taken a lot of criticism.

Of course, if I want to respond to her, that is my right as well.

As I near Christmas, the last thing on my mind is “woe is me”. I do still feel like I will listen to the advice of others, when they are experts, in seeking help for my child. If an expert says something like, “you know, that industrial chelator has not been tested adequately for safety or efficacy…or at all…in humans”, I take that to heart. When an expert in toxicology says, “you know, autism doesn’t actually look like mercury poisoning at all”, I take that to heart. When I read online discussions where parents are reporting adverse reactions to so-called “biomedical” approaches to treating autism, I take that to heart as well.

Safety. That is where you and I part ways, Jenny. Safety. You, your organizations and the practitioners you promote want me to “do absolutely everything”, regardless of whether it has been proven safe or effective.

It’s easier to put me in a box and tell your followers I am sitting here saying “woe is me” than to address the question of safety. Perhaps 2011 will be the year you take on the very serious question of safety.

Have a merry Christmas, Jenny. I will.

Edit-to-add:

Here is Jenny McCarthy’s message set to video.

And, also to add–

I am not on Train-A, but the A-train…no “woe is me” on the A-train.

8 Responses to “A Christmas message of woe from Generation Rescue and Jenny McCarthy”

1. Jackie December 23, 2010 at 00:38 #

Wow, someone who’s gone on Oprah and written a book about how she’s suffered through her son’s Autism and so-called recovery, saying other parents are “woe is me” people?

The Pot calling the Kettle black. Jenny should understand, that her current career, is based entirely on the woe is me industry. If she really was an A-Train person, she wouldn’t be going on TV and telling everyone her sob story just to get attention.

What a hypocrite, the only way she could ever make this claim is if she had shut up, and not dragged her son’s issue on to TV. Too late for that. Parents who aren’t “woe is me” people, are parents who go about their lives WITHOUT demanding attention for what they’ve been through with their child’s Autism.

2. AutismNewsBeat December 23, 2010 at 00:41 #

Excellent point, Jackie. There is so much that is wrong with McCarthy’s year end message of woe.

• Sullivan December 23, 2010 at 02:04 #

Jenny McCarthy’s “Louder than Words” is full of “woe is me” moments. Without them there wouldn’t be the wow ending, now, would there. Well, if the story had focused on her child’s challenges and accomplishments it would have.

Everyone has good times and bad. Parents of special needs kids have times when they are down, without doubt. But this is just another in the fearful message. “If you don’t join us, you will be a ‘woe is me’ mom. Be a warrior instead” and the old, “If you aren’t doing biomed, you aren’t helping your kid” message.

The thing is, I have listened to everyone. I have rejected much of what Jenny McCarthy and her organizations promote because it lacks safety and efficacy data. Much of it lacks a good basic rationale for the ‘treatment’.

Sure, I’ve had ‘woe is me’ moments. Who hasn’t. I’d rather focus on two facts: (1) I’ve never had harder challenges than my kid and (2) I’ve never accomplished as much as my kid, either.

3. David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. December 23, 2010 at 13:11 #

Jenny McCarthy…. STFU!

4. daedalus2u December 23, 2010 at 19:55 #

It is pure projection. She doesn’t have the ability to understand the mindset of anyone on the spectrum, so instead she projects what she thinks their mindset should be. She thinks everyone on the spectrum and their families should have a “woe is me” approach, she has a “woe is me” approach, she is just trying to hide her “woe is me” approach from herself by doing the ineffectual busy work of biomedical treatments.

It is by doing the ineffectual busy work that she distracts herself from the “woe is me” mindset that she has.

Notice that it is “woe is *me*” and not “woe is my child”. It is all about her. The same is true of all curebies, it is all about them, and their inability to imagine that anyone with an ASD has a life that is worth living.

5. julia December 24, 2010 at 09:04 #

“It is pure projection. She doesn’t have the ability to understand the mindset of anyone on the spectrum, so instead she projects what she thinks their mindset should be.”

EXactly. I believe one can also see this in other “denialists” like AGW denialists and evolution denialists. I guess that is what happens when one tries to hide the truth from oneself.

6. daedalus2u December 24, 2010 at 15:34 #

Yes, the “best” way to not believe something is to be unable to perceive it. None are so blind as those who will not see.

1. Tweets that mention Autism Blog - A Christmas message of woe from Generation Rescue and Jenny McCarthy « Left Brain/Right Brain -- Topsy.com - December 23, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kev, Rory Patton. Rory Patton said: LeftBrain/RightBrain talking sense as usual http://bit.ly/g4e2Jj […]