Kim Stagliano’s daughter getting very rough justice

4 Apr

Please visit Age of Autism, read the story and sign the petition.

9 Responses to “Kim Stagliano’s daughter getting very rough justice”

1. David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. April 5, 2011 at 01:07 #

“Much as I have serious problems with Age of Autism’s agenda, this situation described here absolutely infuriates me. Kim, I am sorry that this has been happening to your daughter. It’s out-and-out wrong. I wish you and her and your family strength to get something done properly. Someone once told me that the best therapy is justice. And that also I wish for you.”

2. Kathryn Bjornstad April 5, 2011 at 01:50 #

As much as I dislike and disagree with Kim Stagliano, she is right on this. Her daughter deserves justice and those who abuse autistic people or allow them to be abused are often ignored. I signed the petition.

3. daedalus2u April 5, 2011 at 01:50 #

Petition signed. Something all parents/adults should agree on, holding those who endanger children accountable.

• Sullivan April 5, 2011 at 02:06 #

Just plain wrong. This person shouldn’t be driving a car, much less a bus.

4. McD April 5, 2011 at 07:45 #

yes, there are some issues we are absolutely united on.

5. sharon April 5, 2011 at 10:08 #

I am signatory no. 715.

6. David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. April 5, 2011 at 10:30 #

@Kathryn: “…and those who abuse autistic people or allow them to be abused are often ignored.”

Yes. Whenever someone holding a state or municipal office allows the abuse to happen, they are joining in the abuse themselves. I know something of what it’s like to be on the receiving end of crap ‘justice’ (I shall probably blog about it some time soon). Suffice to say that justice is not that egalitarian a concept.

I left Kim another note, since she was kind enough to clear my comment and also to respond to it:

Hi Kim.

“Thank you David.”

Very welcome. I’m the autistic parent of an autistic child. I know how I’d fell – hell, how I have felt which she has been treated unjustly; also how I have felt myself in the same situation (Finland is not the most just of countries, nor is it the most socially responsible one either – one ought not believe the crap they publish on the state’s websites … living here shows it to be bovine manure).

“There’s always common ground and children’s safety is an area on which we can all agree.”

Yep. Absolutely.

“Not to mention every driver near that bus and even people just minding their business in town and taking a walk or picking up their own mail. She could have killed a whole lot of people. It’s really disturbing.”

Yes. The woman was clearly out of order, and there’s no doubt about that. As for any ‘rehabilitation’ issues there – I’m not sure. This isn’t an issue I’d think that offender rehabilitation would actually work with: this isn’t something that would normally trigger off a rehabilitation order. Dunno about the US systems, really; but this would not fly in Finland. This is about dangerous driving and physical assault. Numerous potential victims in the one scenario and one definite victim in the other, and none of them in a position to defend themselves against what this woman was doing. Guzman allowed her daughter to assault yours… she’s as much a part of that assault as her daughter is.

“I appreciate your show of support very much.”

As I say, Kim, you’re very welcome. I should blog sometime about the recklessness of town child and adolescent psychiatry unit staff and how they tried to take my daughter into hospital – purely because she is autistic. The good thing at the time in this case was that I was actually working in a psychiatric unit myself and, because of that any my considerable expertise in psychological development (and also my not-inconsiderable command of the Finnish language when it comes to defending my child’s rights), my ex-wife and I managed to demonstrate in a very large case conference the incredible recklessness and willful ignorance evidence on the part of the C&A psychiatry staff.

Our children, Kim – we move mountains if we have to. For them.

Still wishing you the best as you try to move this one.

7. Julian Frost April 5, 2011 at 19:11 #

Just became Signatory 769. Even though I despise AoA and what it stands for, I’m with Kim on this one. Evelyn Guzman should lose her license for good.

8. Dawn April 5, 2011 at 23:36 #

I signed it. Didn’t notice what number I was though.

Whether or not you agree with AOA’s agenda, NO child should be treated that way. The driver should be banned from driving public transportation of any kind at least, and the daughter should be punished also.