LBRB needs you!

9 May

As some have noticed, LeftBrain/RightBrain has been having issues. One of the main things is the fact that as LB/RB has become more and more popular over the years, it is not able to co-exist with normal Shared Hosting and is being CPU Throttled, something that basically means that, during peak time of popularity our hosts are having to basically turn the website off for 30min stretches to allow the CPU to cool down a bit.

The only way we can get around this practise is to get our own Dedicated Server. Having this means that we would have one CPU all to ourselves and thus not be throttled.

However, Dedicated Servers are not cheap. I have managed to source one for about £900 per year but that is way, way, waaaay beyond my personal means and much more than the advertising brings in.

So I’m asking for help. You should be able to see a ChipIn widget top right of each page. I’ve set the amount to $2000 and the time limit to a month but these are fairly arbitrary things. I’ll take whatever I can get and if it takes 6 months, so be it. I will of course be throwing in the advertising money that LBRB does get and I’ll also be putting in some personal money too but if you have a spare tenner, fiver or just a quid floating around in your PayPal acct, then I’d thank you for it.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

15 Responses to “LBRB needs you!”

1. rose May 9, 2011 at 19:40 #

Crimeny…I thought you were going to nail my ass…good, it’s just money!

I’ll try to remember after payday, this Friday.

2. Brian Morgan May 9, 2011 at 19:43 #

You can’t take sterling contributions can you? Paying USD from UK account involves charges I think.

3. Kev May 9, 2011 at 19:46 #

Well, I’m as British as fishfingers and chips Brian so my PayPal acct can process whatever you like 😉

4. Brian Morgan May 9, 2011 at 19:51 #

I’m looking at the Chip In box top right of window – payment has to be USD it appears. Is there a sterling option when you’re actually using PayPal?

5. lilandtedsmum May 9, 2011 at 19:54 #

I’m in the UK and just entered a USD amount – it didn’t mention any charge to me. I’ve just received my paypal receipt and it’s only taking the actual mount I pledged. 🙂

6. lilandtedsmum May 9, 2011 at 19:54 #

*AMOUNT* doh! 😉

7. Brian Morgan May 9, 2011 at 19:58 #

I was thinking of the charge your bank adds when you pay dollars from a sterling account and it’s doing the currency conversion. You have to put money into PayPal from your UK account. I know it’s no big deal but I’d rather Kev had the money than a bank.

8. lilandtedsmum May 9, 2011 at 20:05 #

ooh – I hadn’t thought of that…..

9. Brian Morgan May 9, 2011 at 20:10 #

I had some cash I didn’t even know about left in my PayPal account so I didn’t need to top up.

10. lilandtedsmum May 9, 2011 at 20:16 #

Huzzah! 😉

11. Catherina May 9, 2011 at 20:43 #

I think I have just tripled your funds 😉 Tweeted too – good luck!

12. McD May 9, 2011 at 20:49 #

You know how you get a commission on the four books you ‘advertise’, how about having a book page? I buy heaps of books from amazon (just not those 4 books, sorry), and I think we are the sort of demographic who could generate a bit of commission that way. We frequently have book review threads, a standing thread with suggestions for reading could supply suggestions for the book page – along with frequent reminders to use the links to get to Amazon.

13. sharon May 10, 2011 at 05:57 #

Done, with pleasure.

14. Kev May 10, 2011 at 13:39 #

Its a decent idea McD, I’ll definitely look into it.

15. Casdok May 10, 2011 at 18:40 #