1 Dec

The Autism Science Foundation (ASF) has a fundraiser campaign starting today: Recipe4Hope. This is collecting money for the pre- and post-doctoral fellowships that ASF funds. (Note, those looking to apply for the grants can find information here). You can find out what sort of research these grants fund by checking the ASF website, here.

Here is their promotional video:

Here is the press release:

Autism Research Fellowships

New York, NY — [December 1, 2011] —The Autism Science Foundation today announced the launch of its special year-end fundraising campaign “Recipe4Hope” – www.recipe4hope.org. Every dollar donated to the campaign will go directly to fund pre- and post-doctoral autism research fellowships to expand our understanding about what causes autism and to develop better treatments.

“We know that autism research takes a lot of people, working together, to find the answers,” said Alison Singer, president of the Autism Science Foundation. “We need the discoveries of the brightest scientists. We need the knowledge and experience of parents. We need donations to fund this critical research. All these efforts snowball into lasting hope for children, teens and adults.”

The centerpiece of the campaign is a short video – Youtube.com/user/AutismScienceFdn – showcasing the Neiman family of Colorado building a snowman and playing together in the snow. This video illustrates the point that just like building a snowman, it takes all of us working together to fund critically needed autism research.

“I love playing in the snow with my family,” said mom Laura Neiman, whose son has autism. “I’m so thankful that my family was a part of this video. I hope that our participation will inspire others to give to this worthy cause.”

This fundraising campaign will take place exclusively online through December 31, and will employ social media outreach to connect with donors and supporters. Supporters are encouraged to share photos of snow angels and other outdoor activities on the nonprofit’s Facebook page and Twitter account. There is also a hashtag, #recipe4hope, to track the activity on social media sites. Supporters can also set-up their own fundraising pages to raise donations for the nonprofit. It’s easy and free to set-up a personal page and give the gift of hope this holiday season.

The Autism Science Foundation has funded just under half a million dollars in pre- and post-doctoral student research in the past two years. Ongoing donor support for this program through the Recipe4Hope campaign is critical. ASF’s pre- and post-doctoral grant program encourages bright, energetic young scientists to devote their careers to autism research. These research grants are already having a real impact on the field.

For more information about the Recipe4Hope campaign visit Recipe4hope.org. Follow the Autism Science Foundation on Twitter.com/autismsciencefd and “Like” it on Facebook at Facebook.com/autismsciencefd.

About the Autism Science Foundation

The Autism Science Foundation (ASF) is a 501(c)(3) public charity. Its mission is to support autism research by providing funding and assistance to scientists and organizations conducting, facilitating, publishing, and disseminating autism science. The foundation also provides information about autism to the general public and increases awareness of autism spectrum disorders and the needs of individuals and families affected by autism. To learn more visit www.autismsciencefoundation.org.

Advertisements

13 Responses to “Autism Science Foundation “Recipe4Hope” Campaign Will Raise Funds for Pre- and Post-Doctoral Autism Research Fellowships”

1. Harold L Doherty December 3, 2011 at 09:19 #

“Note: I was a stakeholder travel grant awardee from ASF for the 2011 IMFAR conference.”

Interesting. Is lbrb formally merging with “Autism Science” Foundation? Or will you try to maintain the appearance of an arms length relationship?

• Sullivan December 4, 2011 at 06:04 #

Harold L Doherty,

“Interesting” in what way? As in news? I realize you don’t read this blog every day, but this has been discussed before, multiple times. For example, here, here and other places).

Your logical leaps are consistently illogical. Consistently in that you recently made a comment of this same type. Illogical in that what would lead you to believe that LBRB (which is a site owned by Kev Leitch) would “merge” somehow with ASF based on the fact that I was one of this year’s stakeholder grant awardees? Is there evidence of other stakeholder awardees this year or last year “merging” with ASF? If so, this would be news to me.

Your comment comes across as a classic passive-agressive attack. Why not just come out and say that you dislike the support given to ASF? This is one reason why I have great respect for Kassiane. She comes straight out and says what she thinks. Much more importantly, since I doubt my respect is something you would value, this is why people like Kassiane are much more effective in discussions like this.

• Sullivan December 4, 2011 at 06:12 #

Just in case you wonder if I was dodging the question: the answer is no. SImply and plainly no.

2. Ken December 4, 2011 at 07:01 #

Harold is just being a sore loser.

3. Kassiane December 4, 2011 at 07:36 #

You already know what I have to say about this =P. Possibly with an add-on that I’m starting to have a visceral nausea reaction to the very word “hope”.

There are so many directions that ASF *could* go that aren’t nauseating, in terms of research. Except they aren’t.

4. Science Mom December 4, 2011 at 20:39 #

There are so many directions that ASF could go that aren’t nauseating, in terms of research. Except they aren’t.

I’m curious, what would those research directions be?

5. Kassiane December 4, 2011 at 21:22 #

Science Mom:

There are a whole lot of things about making life easier while autistic. Or as an autistic adult.

Like, explore ameliorating sensory issues. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I WILL SIGN UP FOR THAT STUDY JUST MAKE THE LOUD STOP. (…hi. The downstairs neighbor has the fan over her oven on and it’s making me want to claw my eardrums out). There may be people who enjoy their sensory disintegration, but I’ve never met one–and this can help children AND adults.

Or auditory processing. I’d sign up for that one too! It’s frustrating to have to, say, listen to the same podcast or whatever 10 times to catch half of it…ESPECIALLY when you add on, from above, the noise that electronic devices make (and they do. The walls are too buzzy sometimes).

Or, what if there’s a difference in the brain between ‘autistic anxiety’ and ‘general anxiety disorder’ anxiety? A whole lot of us are incredibly anxious. Again, I don’t know anyone who enjoys being incredibly anxious.

There are a lot of ways to help autistics without preventing us. And there are a lot of avenues to explore that would help quality of life for both children and adults.

(and that isn’t even getting into the stuff that’d be more acceptance based–like a study in coping in parents who were given tragedy model vs neurodiversityesque/social model information upon the diagnosis of their kids, which would be FASCINATING I think)

…oh god. I’m going to end up being a researcher after med school…

• Sullivan December 7, 2011 at 21:07 #

Kassiane,

here is a list of projects which ASF has recently funded.

Jill Locke/David Mandell: University of Pennsylvania
      Implementing Evidence-Based Social Skills Interventions in Public School Settings
      Portia McCoy/Ben Philpot: University of North Carolina
      Ube3a Requirements for Structural Plasticity of Synapses
      Haley Speed/Craig Powell: UT Southwestern University
      Identifying Impairments in Synaptic Connectivity in Mouse Models of ASD
      Elena Tenenbaum/Stephen Sheinkopf: Women & Infants Hospital and Brown University
      Attentional Distribution and Word Learning in Children with Autism

Pre-Doctoral Fellowships:

Jessica Bradshaw/Robert Koegel: University of California at Santa Barbara
      Prelinguistic Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Infancy
      Christie Buchovecky/Monica Justice: Baylor College of Medicine
      Identifying Genetic Modifiers of Rett Syndrome in the Mouse

Is there something in there which is nauseating?

(and that isn’t even getting into the stuff that’d be more acceptance based—like a study in coping in parents who were given tragedy model vs neurodiversityesque/social model information upon the diagnosis of their kids, which would be FASCINATING I think)

There was something on a similar idea in the past year or so. I’ll try to find it. They found that parents who don’t get out of the negative outlook in a short (year?) timeframe post diagnosis never do.

6. Harold L Doherty December 4, 2011 at 21:49 #

No need for that rant Sullivan.

Your comment indicated that you were a stakeholder grant attendee. You, and this site, received financing from ASF. On your side bar you advertise 2 books by Dr. Paul Offit founding Board member of the Autism Science Foundation. This blog seems more and more to reflect Dr. Offit’s vaccine promotion agenda and less and less to be a general blog about autism disorders.

I don’t visit this site as regularly as I once did because it is the same rehash of the Offit Offensive over and over, with personal attacks on parents or professionals who dare question vaccine safety. Very little information about autism disorders generally.

For the benefit of your readers who do not know me my sons have received all of their recommended vaccinations including my autistic son who received his MMR update last Wednesday. I took the day off work to be with him and ensure everything went well.

Have a good day Sullivan and enjoy your relationship with ASF. You really should be more open and less defensive about that relationship though.

• Sullivan December 7, 2011 at 20:56 #

“Your comment indicated that you were a stakeholder grant attendee. ”

Yes. While you state you don’t read this blog often, you have already read this fact. I have not only discussed it in numerous articles, but also in this comment in a discussion with you. And yet you chose to voice your recent comments as though this is news to you.

“You, and this site, received financing from ASF. ”

I don’t know if this site received any contribution from ASF. The only discussions I’ve had with Kev on the financing of this site is (a) whether there is enough and (b) what I can contribute. This site has cost me money. I have never received a dime for writing here. If you want to insinuate that I am influenced by ASF because you believe they are backing this site, go ahead. It isn’t based in fact. I guess I am also supported by Autism Speaks and ASAN as I have written about them recently?

“On your side bar you advertise 2 books by Dr. Paul Offit founding Board member of the Autism Science Foundation. ”

As Kev pointed out to you in a previous comment to you, no one has used those advertisements to purchase a book and, thus, the ads have generated no revenue for the site.

“This blog seems more and more to reflect Dr. Offit’s vaccine promotion agenda and less and less to be a general blog about autism disorders.”

How would you know, since you claim to not read this site? Here are the 10 most recent articles on this site:

Mother who ‘smothered baby because she feared he was autistic was insane and had postpartum depression’
      Lower birth weight indicates higher risk of autistic traits in discordant twin pairs
      ASAN Symposium on Ethical, Legal and Social Implications of Autism Research
      95 Disability Rights Groups Call on CMS to Issue HCBS Regulations
      Autism Speaks launches “Visual Supports” tool kit
      Autism Science Foundation “Recipe4Hope” Campaign Will Raise Funds for Pre- and Post-Doctoral Autism Research Fellowships
      Another example of a “leading scientist” on the supposed “vaccine safety” side
      Tracking cognitive changes in new-onset epilepsy: functional imaging challenges
      WPI v. Judy Mikovits: “The story keeps getting stranger”
      Today’s the day: Autism Science Foundation Sometimes it Pays to be Small fundraiser

Not the best output I’ve had, but not the story you try to paint either.

You like to accuse others of making personal attacks. Mr. Doherty, clean your own home before accusing others of personal attacks. Just a suggestion. Perhaps you’ve changed your style since I used to read your blog. Based on your comments here, I don’t think that is the case.

“I took the day off work to be with him and ensure everything went well.”

Shows courage to do something even in the face of fear. The unfortunate lesson there is that you still have that fear. Not surprising since you promote that fear.

One last thing about the ASF stakeholder grant. Funny thing about that. I didn’t submit the receipts for reimbursement until just last week. I spent a long time wrestling with the question of whether to drain funds that could go towards research. My guess is that doesn’t fit the narrative you are trying to create: where a small grant (which doesn’t cover the full costs of attending, by the way) has influenced me.

7. Julian Frost December 6, 2011 at 18:47 #

Kassiane,
    I saw this article and immediately thought of your comment. “Autistic Teens with Epilepsy may have abnormal photosensitivity”.

8. Kassiane December 7, 2011 at 09:59 #

@Julian:

I saw that. All I really had to say was
    a) No kidding.
    and
    b) ADULTS TOO!

though I did think it was silly that they’re all “OMG they’re giving themselves seizures.” Very rare is the individual who will give themselves seizures, because they tend to SUCK.

9. Kassiane December 7, 2011 at 21:37 #

The first one is actually “No Shit Sherlock” study of the month, if it’s the one I think it is. If it isn’t, then it’s yet another study that operates from the assumption that it’s all our job, & I’ve kind of had it with that stuff right now (it’s been quite a year).

Anything/everything that gets into the neuroplasticity question tends to head towards nauseating and terrifying, because if they ever undo autism, it’ll be by exploiting neuroplasticity. That + infant identifiers (the better to rewire you, my dear) certainly do have problematic implications.

And, of course, they don’t have a good mouse model for autism. Mice aren’t autistic.