The Age of Autism hits another low: excusing shaken baby syndrome

17 Jun

The Age of Autism blog has been an embarrassment to the autism communities since it was founded. They take a very vaccine antagonistic stance, promote unproven and sometimes harmful fake “therapies” and attack those whom they disagree with. In their attacks on vaccines they have until now avoided one of the most ugly claims: that shaken baby syndrome is actually vaccine injury. It’s an excuse for child abuse, a way to build a smoke screen to try to excuse someone who has harmed a child.

They have avoided this claim. Until now.

Today I was informed that they had crossed that line with an article: When is ‘Shaken Baby’ Syndrome Possibly Vaccine Injury Instead?

Besides being a new low for Dan Olmsted’s team, what does this have to do with autism? Nothing.

If you want to read about the shaken baby syndrome as vaccine injury lie, here’s

Science Based Medicine: The antivaccine lie that just won’t die: The claim that shaken baby syndrome is really due to “vaccine injury”

The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome: The Role of Irresponsible Medical Expert Testimony in Creating a False Causal Connection

I long ago gave up on the so-called “editors” at the Age of Autism for demonstrating any ability to keep absolute nonsense off their blog. They lack leadership, they lack courage, they lack integrity.

They are an embarrassment to our communities. The autism communities stand apart from the ugly lie that shaken baby syndrome is vaccine injury.

By Matt Carey

Advertisements

8 Responses to “The Age of Autism hits another low: excusing shaken baby syndrome”

1. Gone Wild June 17, 2015 at 18:12 #

In the U.S. there exists an unshakeable religion-based hatred of scientific progress in understanding human behavior. In my opinion and experience, people who cling to magical thinking are literally incapable of “rational” thought. They exist in a childlike state of dependence on belief and will never “get” science. Battling with these people is futile: exposing their hateful ideas is good.

2. Kathy June 17, 2015 at 19:16 #

Oh great, a pile of claims and not one link to evidence. But people will take her seriously. Annoying and dangerous.

3. Narad June 19, 2015 at 09:21 #

They have avoided this claim. Until now.

A quick search reveals that the “UK Editor” was ahead of the curve:

“I think this kind of case is still quite common only it may not get much publicity – in the UK most such cases will be buried in the secrecy of the family courts. An interesting piece here by Ed Yazbak, who has often appeared in such cases, notably the famous Yurko case”

Not to mention this holiday gem from Christina England, with extended credit blurb.

• Narad June 19, 2015 at 10:24 #

Curiously enough, there does not seem to be anything in the online edition of the Grafton News (the only “reporting” job that she appears ever to have had) corresponding to her garbled prose:

My instinct on this situation was entirely different than the official story of suspicion that the mother had done something to the baby, and the police department and social services were duplicitous in the baby’s death. Instead [Of what?] I went to my editor and told him my suspicion of vaccine injury was well-founded based on what I know the symptoms to be. And this one had all of the earmarks of a vaccine induced injury.

Gratefully my editor took me seriously and reported just the police issued statement on the matter [Beg pardon?]. The final word was that the autopsy results would be made public within ten weeks.

The magic word, in particular, is missing.

• Narad June 19, 2015 at 10:46 #

Although “Leslie” is April Grandinetti; the screwball legal prognostications (“defamation”?) and advice that Romaniec then launches into are just mindless, second-hand jabbering.

4. Julian Frost June 19, 2015 at 17:52 #

I wish I could be spitting flame over this, but I’m past it. I’ve been fighting too long and I know too much now to have this lie enrage me as it properly should.

Absolutely true. But AoA was never about autism. It was always about vaccines as evil.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) June 19, 2015 at 23:35 #

I could (and do now) add: what does Dan Olmsted have to do with autism? Answer: nothing.

He’s one of those who are antagonistic towards vaccines who use us as a hammer in his attacks. While making money at it, no less.

Yep, he’s working hard (not really if you read his infrequent and shallow articles) to drive more parents into the world of guilt and the arms of charlatans.

It was once said that Dan Olmsted would have to take a few steps up the career ladder to reach the level of “hack”

1. Can Vaccines Cause Shaken Baby Syndrome? – VAXOPEDIA - April 9, 2017