The world is changing

23 Dec

Why do I do it? I’m sitting here writing this after a lovely meal which included a rare glass of red wine and a hefty slice of Stilton. Behind me I hear the earnest futility of Jimmy Stewart as my wife watches (would you believe for the first time ever?) ‘Its A Wonderful Life’. My kids are asleep upstairs. I will not be returning to work until January 2nd 2007. Outside my window the world is misty darkness but the lights of my local pub can just about be made out 200 yards away.

Everything is good (except Villa got stuffed 0 – 3 by Man Ure) and yet I still feel obliged to write.

All is good as we approach Christmas Day….except….six children who should be in the world this Christmas are not. Do not forget them. I feel a special connection to one of them through my new extended family in America, the McCarrons. As it is Christmas, why not mark the day by remembering Katie McCarron in a way that is permanent. If you agree with what I write about or not, please do not let that stop you. Remember Katie. Remember them all.

Do not forget that people are still in the hell on Earth of the Judge Rotenberg Centre. I have not blogged about the JRC for awhile but I have not forgotten about it. Neither has my friend Mike. Only today I received an email from an ex-employee about the JRC that will allow me to write about it some more in the new year.

If, unlike me, you are religious, please pray for the people incarcerated in the JRC. If, like me, you are not religious, do not forget them.

Lisa Jo Rudy runs the about.com autism section. Earlier this month she posted a blog entry asking:

What Do You Love Best About the Autistic Person in Your Life?

The number, depth, emotion and strength of the replies have struck a deep chord with Lisa Jo. She has posted another blog entry which details how she has compiled the _100 plus replies_ she received. All replies detail things that the commenter loves about the autistic person in their life. It is a powerful, moving and deeply affecting testament to how people can see the good in life if they really want to. There is good in _any_ situation, just as there is bad. In a year that has seen too much bad, this wide rainbow of good is like a breath of freedom. In a room grown stuffy with the stink of contrived negativity and stigmatising over-focus on quackery, this humanising thread is like opening a window and letting in a cool draft of fresh air. In these last days of 2006, breathe deeply friends, breathe deeply.

10 Responses to “The world is changing”

1. sharon December 23, 2006 at 22:05 #

I hope you enjoy your holiday and that you and your family have a lovely Christmas together.

You’re right, we must remember those poor children who where killed this year. Can it really be so many as 6? It’s so sad. The devastation rhetoric plays a part in making people think that killing a child is acceptable. It has got to stop.

2. little bo peep December 23, 2006 at 22:46 #

Just having ended Hanukkah, let me send out a Merry Christmas to all – and, yes, I am thinking of the families who are missing their little ones now. What I enjoy most abut my autistic son is his oh, so peaceful heart. Love to all.

3. Joel Smith December 23, 2006 at 23:02 #

More than 6 have lost their lives. In the English speaking world, we hear of only those deaths (A) publicized, and, generally, (B) from English speaking countries. English speaking countries don’t account for the majority of the world’s population, by any means, and many of the deaths are reported as other than murder or suspicious (“heart failure” is a common cause of institutional death during restraint, for instance).

4. Kassiane December 23, 2006 at 23:30 #

– gently fingers the elephant on her medicalert bracelet –

Never forget.

Never.

Not Katie. Not Ulysses. None of the other 4 with name. None of the unnamed and ‘forgotten’.

They aren’t forgotten here….

5. Ms Clark December 24, 2006 at 01:29 #

Autism Speaks and their like would have us believe that it is common for parents of autistic children to think about killing them, at least some times.

If you read the messages to Lisa Jo Rudy stating how much these people love their autistic friends and relatives it’s hard to imagine that anyone would want to kill an autistic person, ever.

It’s all about perspective and where one places value.

The more a parent despises their “child’s autism,” as opposed to loving their autistic child as a whole, the more likely they are to want to kill their child. The more they want to kill their child the more likely that they actually will carry out a murder.

6. Estee December 24, 2006 at 05:08 #

Happy Xmas everyone!!!

7. autismvox December 24, 2006 at 10:35 #

Happy Xmas Kev to you and yours—-Charlie and Jim and I were watching the slideshow of photos shown at the “Autism and Advocacy” conference on the airplane and we lingered a bit when Katie’s photos came on.

Peace and keep up your important work here.

8. Mike & Gail McCarron December 24, 2006 at 17:47 #

Kevin,

Thank you for this post and your thoughts and support throughout 2006. It was a particularly tough year for our family. There were times I thought the world had truly gone mad, there were also times when I saw beauty and love that surpassed my fondest expectations. You and my extended family in England were a large part of the beauty and love I experienced.

Mike

To Kevin and All Families and Friends of Autistic Children:

The McCarron Family hopes each of you have a peaceful and blessed Christmas Day.
    My heart is torn with the memory of having beautiful Katie and her glorious smile. The fake Santa, poinsetias, wreath and pine tree blanket and pillow on her grave seem so inadequate and strange for a sweet baby girl – yet, that is the best we can do. A Dora dolly and some toys would be so much more appropriate. The strange paradox of this Christmas is that I know I am still one of the luckiest people on this earth. God has now entrusted us in playing a huge role in taking care of and loving little Emily. I can still enjoy a loving family here on earth which includes five precious granddaughters — three here in the U.S.; and two in England, Megan and Tabby; – all so unique and special in their own way. The familiar Christmas songs, traditions and family gatherings are still so sacred and wonderful. Our goal is the same – provide a safe, loving environment for our little ones, cherish and respect each other, not only because we want to, but in loving memory of those who have gone before us. Love and Peace to All!

Gail

9. livsparents December 25, 2006 at 03:17 #

The only thing I am sure of is that my life, my wife’s, my two daughters’, my other three kids’ lives will be different next year. I hope we are headed in a great direction by next year. May we all find what we are looking for in ’07…
    Bill

10. TheProbe December 27, 2006 at 01:33 #

The horrors of the JRC have caused the New York State Department of Education to issue new rules drastically limiting the use of aversive “therapy”.

From the bad, a little good shines through.