Jenny McCarthy – Autism mum

5 May

As surely as day follows night, more and more loony ideas about autism and what it is will come along. Bad mothering, secretin, vaccines, TV…..and now…well…..

Jenny McCarthy is a US celebrity who has an autistic child. She also has a website that discusses her, uh, interesting stance on autism.

The day I found out I was an adult Indigo will stay with me forever. I was walking hand in hand with my son down a Los Angeles street when this women approached me and said, “You’re an Indigo and your son is a Crystal.” I immediately replied, “Yes!” and the woman smiled at me and walked away. I stood there for a moment, because I had no idea what the heck an Indigo and Crystal was, but I seemed so sure of it when I had blurted out “Yes!” After doing some of my own research on the word Indigo, I realized not only was I an early Indigo but my son was in fact a Crystal child.

A what? She’s an ‘Indigo’ and her son is a ‘Crystal child’???? what exactly are these things?

The Indigo child concept was first publicized in 1999 by the book The Indigo Children: The New Kids Have Arrived, written by the husband-and-wife team of Lee Carroll and Jan Tober. Carroll insists that the concept was obtained via conversations with a spiritual entity known as Kryon.

Wikipedia

The Crystal Children began to appear on the planet from about 2000, although some date them slightly earlier. These are extremely powerful children, whose main purpose is to take us to the next level in our evolution, and reveal to us our inner power and divinity. They function as a group consciousness rather than as individuals, and they live by the” Law of One” or Unity Consciousness. They are a powerful force for love and peace on the planet……The terms “Indigo” and “Crystal” were given to these two generations because they most accurately describe their aura colours and energy patterns. Indigo children have a lot of indigo blue in their auras. This is the colour of the “third eye chakra”, which is the energy center inside the head located between the two eyebrows. This chakra regulates clairvoyance, or the ability to see energy, visions, and spirits. Many of the Indigo children are clairvoyant

Starchild

Okaaaay.

And – of course – She’s anti-vaccine – what wingnut isn’t?

So why am I discussing Jenny McCarthy? It seems she’ll soon be doing a show on autism (she has a soon-to-be-released book to flog). I am sincerely hoping that people examine very carefully the sort of utter kook she is when this show airs (if it does) and consider her message – whatever it may be – in terms of the source beliefs that have inspired it.

Advertisements

56 Responses to “Jenny McCarthy – Autism mum”

1. Ms. Clark May 12, 2007 at 03:40 #

I honestly did NOT know who she was when her name came up in association with autism. Ick. Ick. (((shudder))) Ick.

I thought Paris Hilton was bad…

2. Crash Test Mommy May 12, 2007 at 04:07 #

I know why Tom posted here. It’s much funnier. Ok, well, I guess Jenny’s site is funny, but not in a way I’d like to emulate.

3. Jannalou May 14, 2007 at 02:46 #

Ah…

Here’s the thread about Crystal Children that I posted over on ASA (the newsgroup) when I was having the afore-mentioned issues.

Part of my comments then (in 2004):

What worries me about this (and I don’t know what is recommended in the book as being “appropriate” for the “Crystal children”) is the inaccurate description of autistic children and the possibility that it could actually be rather damaging to put the book into practice with an autistic child.

4. Nobody May 19, 2007 at 21:58 #

Why did Doreen Virtue did not include Kirilian photography in her book? Personally, I think Marcel Vogel was on to something? 😉

5. Flo Oakes June 5, 2007 at 16:53 #

I may not see any validity to “Crystal Children”, but to call her a “wingnut” for being anti-vaccine is mean and ignorant – even more so, is calling everyone who chooses not to vaccinate a wingnut.
    Most parents who choose not to vaccinate put in years of thoughtful research into the subject, and are doing so because they feel a real burden for the welfare of their children.
    There is propaganda as well as supportive research on BOTH sides of the issue, and as a parent, I believe there are thoughtful and caring parents on each side of the issue as well, trying to make the most informed decision they can. So if by “wingnut” you mean someone who has done their homework, talked to many health care providers, and agonized over the best decision for the health of their children, I suppose that is what I am.

6. HN June 5, 2007 at 21:53 #

Jenny McCarthy was called a loony for the Chrystal Child thing. If you read closely you will find that the anti-vaccine bit at the last of the article. The point of the article to that this woman was going to do a program on autism, and the question was “Why should we take what she says seriously with these odd beliefs?

Now since you claim “There is propaganda as well as supportive research on BOTH sides of the issue, “, it would be useful if you can show what supportive research supports autism is caused by vaccines.

Be sure that it is real, true and valid research… not stuff bought and paid for by a lawyer (Andrew Wakefield was paid by a lawyer to indict MMR), written by those who are paid as “expert witness” (the Geiers) or published in less than reputable journals like “Medical Hypothesis”, JPANDS and “Medical Veritas”.

Also, about wingnuttery: One of the often quoted websites for anti-vaccine propaganda is the “Whale.to” site. The owner of that website is John Scudamore, and has been known on Usenet as a long time “net-loon”. He once sent in a message to several newsgroups about how to avoid “satanic black lines”. He also claims that satanic black lines burned his bum! From
    ” I also burnt my ass on it some years back when I was experimenting with psychedelics, similar to a chemical burn right through my trousers, where the trousers were unscathed apart from a flattening of the cord. I thought, first, that I had been given a metaphysical kick up the backside! Perhaps I had. ”

(one wonders what kind of brain damage was caused by the psychedelics)