Cookie Mag talks to the expert (not plural)

18 Jul

Cookie Magazine has found itself getting a lot more traffic than normal as of late. Amanda Peet was featured and spoke out for vaccines.

Lock the doors! How could someone say vaccines are good!

Well, we all know how people can jump on that subject. All too well. Amanda Peet got her information by talking to an expert of vaccines, Dr. Paul Offit. She was pretty darned lucky to have a connection like that, in my view.

Long story short, after statements, an apology (but not backpedaling!), lots of internet discussion, a threat here and there, Cookie Magazine now has posted some interviews with Dr. Offit (vaccine expert) and, huh?, Dr. Jay Gordon.

Oh, Kay. Dr. Jay, on the same level as Dr. Offit?

Actually, I think I’ll print out the Dr. Offit interview for people with questions. As for Dr. Jay, well, here’s the final quote:

How do you reconcile the notion of not vaccinating with the public health benefit that you mentioned earlier?
I think that the public health benefits to vaccinating are grossly overstated. I think that if we spent as much time telling people to breastfeed or to quit eating cheese and ice cream, we’d save more lives than we save with the polio vaccine.

People seem to think there are two sides to this discussion. Yep, there’s preventing disease and stopping people from eating cheese.

10 Responses to “Cookie Mag talks to the expert (not plural)”

1. BTDT July 18, 2008 at 03:18 #

The American Indians breastfed all infants, and didn’t have any cheese or ice cream in their diet. However, they were still were susceptible to epidemics of disease brought by the Europeans, in fact thousands died and entire tribes were decimated.

2. HCN July 18, 2008 at 04:26 #

BTDT, it was just not thousands who died, it was estimated at over 90%. According to http://www.amazon.com/Plagues-Peoples-William-H-McNeill/dp/0385121229/ most of the natives in the America’s perished.

The area that the Pilgrims settled was an Indian settlement that was totally depopulated due to smallpox and measles.

I am pretty sure that the kids in Africa aren’t eating a bunch of cheese and ice cream, yet they are getting felled by measles. Though on a bright note, the immunization programs have cut down measles in Africa by 91%, see:
    http://www.measlesinitiative.org/index3.asp … “Since 2001, the Measles Initiative has supported the vaccination of more than 500 million children in over 50 countries.

During this time, we’ve helped reduce measles deaths by 68% worldwide and 91% in Africa.”

3. HCN July 18, 2008 at 04:58 #

Perhaps Dr. Gordon needs to be reminded that one of his young patients died because she was breastfed:

4. Follow the $$$ July 18, 2008 at 06:20 #

Cookie dropped the ball by giving Jay space to give people wrong information. Jay needs to go back to medical school, or maybe back to Junior High School. Why didn’t Cookie question him about the money he makes off of pandering to the egos of his clients in Orange County and LA? Offit was asked about making money from discovering a vaccine that saves lives.

Who do you think has the bigger bank account, Dr. Offit in Pennsylvania or Dr. Jay in Hollywood? Who has the practice that is more focused on making money? I say it’s suntan-booth Jay with his DVDs and couture baby clinic. Jay shares that he has vague concerns but nothing he can quite put his finger on. He thinks it’s fine to leave infants unprotected from VPDs for a whole year or more when they are susceptible to dying from measles and whooping cough, especially. He’s reprehensible.

5. Kev July 18, 2008 at 09:38 #

_”I think that if we spent as much time telling people to breastfeed or to quit eating cheese and ice cream, we’d save more lives than we save with the polio vaccine.”_

Please tell me he’s joking.

6. David N. Andrews M. Ed. (Distinction) July 18, 2008 at 12:53 #

“Please tell me he’s joking.”

I’d like to, but I don’t think he thinks he is.

7. Esther July 18, 2008 at 16:11 #

No, he’s not joking. And unfortunately, he’s not the only one of certain trendy MDs who thinks this way. I’ve taken on similar nonsense from one Susan Markel, MD (Tufts) who blogs at Babycenter and styles herself as the “Attachment Parenting Doctor”:

I’m a huge fan of both breastfeeding and good nutrition, but making them out as the be all and end all of good health carries a heavy price.

8. navi July 18, 2008 at 16:53 #

my scrawny self would keel over without cheese… or other dairy products.

My scrawny self that did very well in school, straight a’s, no behavior problems, etc while drinking about 8 glasses of milk a day (as I’m guessing the cheese/icecream comment is in relation to dairy products; I haven’t heard anything that suggests cheese = bad but cow milk = good…)

My precious son showed no discernible difference when we reduced dairy, and acted sick when we eliminated it (someone said ‘no you have to eliminate it all together, try for 1 week than you’ll know’ 1 week was feasible, and 1 week isn’t going to seriously hurt him, since my sister IS lactose intolerant – but no, a week off milk made him worse so we stopped that right quick)

His teachers have a combo of kids on GF/CF and kids not on a diet, and are specialists in autism (all their kids are autistic) and not one has ever recommended changing his diet, especially because he needs to eat A LOT because of his metabolism + energy level. Maybe we’d help some people to cut out cheese + icecream, but not my family, and I doubt it’d help most people. I think with the number of GF/CF kids they have, if they thought the diet helped everyone, they’d recommend it. (but then they thrill over the fact that he’s a good eater so maybe not so much…)

9. Ringside Seat July 18, 2008 at 16:58 #

Frankly unbelievable. I guess if America has something like 800,000 MDs, it’s not hard to find a few cranks. But for anyone to knock polio vaccination, IMO, should be grounds to be delicensed.

Just shows how out of control this thing is getting.

10. HolfordWatch July 19, 2008 at 23:37 #

Patick Holford mixes his own usual wisdom on vaccines with that of Dr Richard Halvorsen. Holford argues that if you support your child’s immune system with breastfeeding and a wholefood diet and supplements then they “can avoid catching diseases in the first place” which seems to be a justification for his recommendation that some vaccinations are unnecessary or should be delayed.

Is there some playbook that they are all using that they are making the same observations about diet in addition to the ‘green our vaccines’ and “I’m not anti-vax, I’m against the too-many, too-soon schedule” rhetoric?