UK Research places huge question mark over the autism ‘epidemic’

3 May

Just a quick couple of quotes as I’m in a rush.

Researchers found nearly one percent of Britons older than 16 years have autism, a rate that is similar to that seen in children. Younger people were no more likely to be affected than older ones, however, which would have been expected if the condition were truly on the increase.

Source.

And this – same source.

Fears that the condition is becoming more and more common in children have launched both researchers and parents on a fierce search for the underlying reasons.

So far those efforts haven’t paid off, however, and the much-reported claim that childhood vaccines could be the culprit has been widely discredited.

“None of them had been diagnosed (previously) with autism,” he said. “I think for me the issue is that people have been ignoring autism in adulthood and only focusing on children.”

Advertisements

8 Responses to “UK Research places huge question mark over the autism ‘epidemic’”

1. sharon May 3, 2011 at 10:05 #

Thanks for this. I can hear Roy Grinker saying I told you so 🙂
    I went on to read the comments. It’s amazing how much some do not want to believe there is no epidemic. People, it’s good news! Wht are you so determined to believe the worst case scenario? (That’s a rhetorical question BTW)

2. Rose May 3, 2011 at 10:19 #

None of them had been previously diagnosed…dang…that must have been a wake-up call!

3. Dee May 4, 2011 at 15:07 #

Isn’t this old? I think this is the same study (or it uses the same research from 2007) and I’m not sure why it’s coming back around as new? Is that true? I’m not on any “side”, I just think we desperately need more and better information.

4. rose May 4, 2011 at 16:06 #

Okay, okay….for science’s sake….I’m coming outta the closet. So, what’s in it for me?

5. brian May 28, 2011 at 00:30 #

White SW, Ollendick TH, Bray BC. College students on the autism spectrum: Prevalence and associated problems. Autism. 2011 May 24.[Epub ahead of print]

Dependent upon the ascertainment method, between .7 per cent and 1.9 per cent of college students could meet criteria for [High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder].

OK, ca. 0.7 to 1.9 per cent of born about two decades ago have what the authors termed “high-functioning autism spectrum disorder”. As Dr. Traolach Brugha said of the study which was the topic of the original post: “If this study is correct, it does put a big question mark over the autism epidemic.”

6. McD May 28, 2011 at 05:28 #

Do you think college students would have a higher, lower, or similar rate of (undiagnosed) autism to kids who didn’t go to college?

What percentage of kids go to college in the country in which the study was conducted?

I can see adult autistic advocates and parents interpreting the data really differently.

1. Autism Blog – UK Research places huge question mark over the … | My Autism Site | All About Autism - May 3, 2011

[…] Read more from the original source: Autism Blog – UK Research places huge question mark over the … […]