Autism and vaccines, 911 truths and fluoridation

9 Jun

Yes, I’m ramping down on discussing Andrew Wakefield. Let this stand as an example why. He’s joined in with 911 truthers and anti-fluoridation advocates in a series of talks in Ireland. The talk is billed as “The Master Plan” and “The Hidden Agenda for Global Scientific Dictatorship”.

If Andrew Wakefield feels like he has any credibility left, why is he lending it to these groups?

For more information, check Seth Mnookin’s post. He’s pulled in some of the 911 truthers who want to discuss their points. I see parallels between the truthers on the net and the vaccine “skeptics” in how they respond.

Advertisements

12 Responses to “Autism and vaccines, 911 truths and fluoridation”

1. Neuroskeptic June 9, 2011 at 07:58 #

Wait a minute…fluorine…mercury…it’s all starting to make sense! Just look at the periodic table – THEY’RE BOTH ON IT! F and Hg. and you can’t spell Huge Fraud (vaccines) without those letters…

😉

2. Lisa June 9, 2011 at 12:02 #

oh my… hate to think we’re spending time on this kind of thing when there are actual people with autism in the world… not to mention real diseases, floods, famines, volcanos and tornados… seems like there’s enough REAL badness in the world to keep us busy.

3. daedalus2u June 9, 2011 at 16:33 #

I think you have Wakefield’s motivation all wrong. He is trying to gain credibility by associating with these groups.

4. Prometheus June 9, 2011 at 21:37 #

Jake seems to think that this ‘blog is seeing “conspiracies” (according to the ‘blog post he linked to) when it would seem to me that Andy Wakefield and his new “friends” are the ones obsessed with conspiracies. To be fair, though, Andy was blathering about conspiracies years ago, so we can’t really blame it all on his new associates.

Crank magnetism? Birds (canaries, perhaps?) of a feather…?

Still, it is terribly sad to see how far Andy Wakefield has fallen in just a few short years. Once a respected researcher and now… just another late-night-AM-talk-show crackpot.

Maybe Jake should look to Andy Wakefield not as a role model but more as a cautionary tale.

Prometheus

5. Andrew June 10, 2011 at 03:14 #

No – Jake is noticing that the AoA’s vigorous condemnation of conspiracy theories means that they must now condemn Wakefield, and join the autistic people and the parents of autistic people in vigorously supporting public health measures like vaccination.

6. observer June 10, 2011 at 09:15 #

Given what has happened, there are only two possibilities: that there is a conspiracy between the British and American governments, plus numerous government agencies, about six or seven UK judges and a similar number in the US, plus all the news media, almost all doctors and scientists, all the medical journals, plus Brian Deer, the UK’s specialist reporter of the year, OR Wakefield is a lying crook.

I suppose that, logically, both of the above might be true, but the upshot is that Wakefield has no other option but to allege the most wide-ranging conspiracy, barely short of the elders of Zion and the reptiles living in the hollowed-out moon. There is no other explanation other than he is guilty as charged and convicted. There is no third way out of this thing.

Looking for clips of him online, I found a video that may help folk figure it out for themselves (not that they need it):

7. Prometheus June 10, 2011 at 15:50 #

Observer has it spot on – and we must all ask ourselves:

Which is more likely: that there is a conspiracy involving hundred of thousand of people, governments, judiciary, etc. that is powerful enough to suppress “the truth” yet is unable to “silence” a few cranks, quacks and ‘bloggers, or that these few cranks, quacks and ‘bloggers are making it all up (or, to be fair, are delusional)?

So, either hundreds of thousand of people are involved in a massive conspiracy known only to few dozen cranks, quacks and ‘bloggers or a few dozen people are wrong. I know which choice I’d pick.

Prometheus

8. Catherina June 10, 2011 at 16:15 #

Well, they might all be after Julia Roberts with their conspiracy theories* (thinking about it, how eerily appropriate would it be if Mel Gibson played Andrew Wakefield)

Catherina

*http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118883/

9. Brian Morgan June 12, 2011 at 23:56 #

No mention of this on AOA. I wonder why. Will they support him joining the Master Planners? Will they be thinking of the implications? Will they even mention him again? I only wonder.

10. Eileen July 2, 2011 at 21:10 #

This is just outrageous. I have been bullied myself on Age of Autism, so it doesn’t surprise me. When I questioned, politely, some of their views, they called me: “Asshole, pharma shill, full of shit, imposter, fraud, and insensitive.” I have two daughters with ASD, and I still cannot believe the hostility of those people. And they get all the press… just so frustrating.

1. Autism Blog – Autism and vaccines, 911 truths and fluoridation … | My Autism Site | All About Autism - June 9, 2011

[…] More: Autism Blog – Autism and vaccines, 911 truths and fluoridation … […]