A reader request that won’t be honored

8 Nov

The idea that the anthrax vaccine should be tested on children in case it is needed in the future following a bioterrorism attack is controversial.

I was waiting to see how the age of autism blog would cover this. I knew it would be tricky for them given one fact (discussed below). They dodged it. Ignored it. And, yet, a bit of unkown irony showed up in the comments:

It is to be noted that mainstream medicine never seems to search for any method for stopping an infectious organism – other than a vaccine. Now, why is that, I wonder. After all, infections are caused by living, reproducing organisms, so there should be a variety of possible ways to decrease spread, stop reproduction, or inhibit life processes. For example, if I get a boil (carbuncle), I dont think of a vaccine or a medication. I simply apply hot water compresses for a few days and the boil fails to develope- no doubt because the heat does not agree with the organism.
Apparently, the anthrax organism responds very readily to certain antibiotics, therefore, it would seem that what we really need is simply a quick diagnostic test and the appropriate antibiotics readily available .
But as we all know, its more about drug company profits from vaccines, than about maintaining health.
My request is that AOA publish the photos of those individuals who have spoken against the vaccine trials- and put a blue ribbon under each photo.

Let’s leave aside the fact that the above comment isn’t even self consistent (the author claims medicine doesn’t look for methods other than vaccines to prevent illness and then with no sense of irony talks about antibiotics)

my request is that AOA publish the photos of those individuals who have spoken against the vaccine trials- and put a blue ribbon under each photo.

Who is amongst those who spoke put against the vaccine trial?

Paul Offit

“I don’t see how you can ethically do a study on a child where there is no chance the child benefits from that study,” says Paul Offit, an infectious disease specialist at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, who often speaks out in favor of childhood vaccination. Offit attended one of the meetings of the working group and spoke out against a study. “I didn’t prevail,” he says.

I’ll check back to AoA in a couple of days for his picture with a blue ribbon. 😉

Advertisements

8 Responses to “A reader request that won’t be honored”

1. Catherina November 8, 2011 at 10:38 #

I want my picture up with a blue ribbon, too:

2. Stigmataman November 8, 2011 at 14:57 #

What if we give a blue ribbon to those individuals who, through their actions and words, do the most to discredit and stigmatize the anti-vaccine movement? I nominate J.B. Handley.

3. David N. Brown November 8, 2011 at 22:20 #

I don’t see that it would be problematic for AoA to acknowledge Offit. It can be on the lines of what I think of as “Even friends say…” And, personally, I don’t see why this is even being discussed. Anthrax isn’t normally contagious person to person, and it’s a truism that a vaccine won’t help someone already infected.

4. Zack Stieber November 9, 2011 at 00:53 #

Hi,

I’m the Family and Parenting editor at Before It’s News. Our site is a People Powered news platform with over 4,000,000 visits a month and growing fast.

We would be honored if we could republish your blog RSS feed in our Family and Parenting category. This will generate more traffic for your site.

Please tell me what you would like as your byline (typically the blog’s name)

You can have any text and/or links you wish appended to the end of each of your posts on Before It’s News. Just email me the text and links that you want to include. If you have html you can send me that. If not, just send me the text and a link to your site. It should be around 200 characters or less (not including links).

We don’t censor or edit work.

Please email me at Zstieber@beforeitsnews.com so our readers can start looking at Left Brain/Right Brain

Thanks,
    Zack Stieber
    Family and Parenting Editor, Before It’s News

5. AutismNewsBeat November 9, 2011 at 01:36 #

The Washington Post reports that “Patricia Quinlisk of the Iowa Department of Public Health, who chairs the panel, was the only dissenter.”

It appears WaPo got it wrong.

6. daedalus2u November 9, 2011 at 15:46 #

Offit was not one of the members of the board that voted.

The board was given a very specific task.

“During the July 7, 2011, AV WG workshop, Dr. Lurie clarified her request:”
    “• I’m not asking the NBSB at all to evaluate the threat of anthrax.”
    “• I’m not asking NBSB to design a trial or to design a protocol.”
    “• I’m not asking NBSB to be an institutional review board (IRB).”
    “• What I am asking the NBSB to do is to make recommendations about the need for trials and the need for data pre-event, versus at the time of an event. If in either situation the NBSB recommends that we conduct clinical studies, please identify particular issues HHS needs to consider.”

All this recommendation says is that if you are going to inject children with anthrax vaccine, is it necessary to have research demonstrating that the anthrax vaccine is safe and effective in children. Of course the answer to that question is yes.

The question of whether injecting children with anthrax vaccine as part of a research project would be ethically acceptable was specifically not addressed. In my opinion the answer to that question is no, it is not ethically acceptable.

US law allows for the requirement for approval of research involving human subjects to be approved by an IRB to be waved if the FDA PAC deems it to be appropriate.

In my opinion, this is purely a push by the manufacturer of the anthrax vaccine to get wider approval so they the numbers of doses the government has in inventory can be increased (for which they would get paid).

Given the uncertainties about who sent the anthrax in the first place, it is not inconceivable (to me) that it was the manufacturer of the anthrax vaccine that sent it through the mail in the first place to increase “demand” for their vaccine. This wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer has done something criminal to increase demand for their product.

7. AutismNewsBeat November 9, 2011 at 15:51 #