Judge Rotenberg Center: Teen tied and shocked for hours; mom calls it “torture”

20 Feb

From a tip by Massachusetts Students United Against The Judge Rotenberg Center (A Facebook group) comes this story at Fox News in Boston: Teen tied and shocked for hours; mom calls it “torture”

(FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – Video of a disabled teen tied down and given painful electric shocks for seven hours should be made public, the youth’s mother said, so everyone can see what she describes as the “torture” her son went through at the controversial school, the only one in Massachusetts that uses pain to treat its clients.

“This is worse than a nightmare,” Cheryl McCollins said about her disabled son, Andre. “It is horrific. And poor Andre, who had to suffer through this, and not know why.”

The ordeal began after Andre hit a staff member. Inside a classroom, as a camera was recording, he was tied to a restraint board, face down, a helmet over his head.

He stayed like that for seven hours without a break, no food, no water, or trips to the bathroom. Each time he screamed or tensed up, he was shocked, 31 times in all. His mother called the next day to check on him.

“I said, ‘Andre.’ I said, ‘Hello.’ And so he said, ‘Help me,'” McCollins said.

“help me”

Andre spent 7 hours strapped to a board, shocked 31 times. As a result he ended up hospitalized. The mother wants the video of the incident made public. JRC wants to keep the video sealed.

The full story is here and Here is the video of the news report from Fox News:

Teen tied and shocked for hours; mom calls it “torture”: MyFoxBOSTON.com

Advertisements

49 Responses to “Judge Rotenberg Center: Teen tied and shocked for hours; mom calls it “torture””

1. Catherina February 20, 2012 at 18:03 #

I think I am going to be sick…

2. jessica February 20, 2012 at 20:09 #

i think that the judge rotenburg center just gets a bad name for what they do. its not like they shock every student. that teen had his moms approval for the shock treatment so it is contradicting for her to be complaining about it now.

3. SALLY February 20, 2012 at 21:36 #

10 years ago I accepted a position at JRC. I was told that JRC uses shock as negative reinforcement. I never shocked anyone except myself. 10 years later I have a scar on my arm where this one shock burned me. I could never do that to someone and call it therapy, so I quit before the 2 week training period ended. During those 2 weeks I witnessed torture being masqueraded as therapy. JRC also used food deprivation as “therapy”, even testing for ketones when the “therapy” took longer then they anticipated. Many of these children are forced to wear the shock devices 24/7 even being made to shower with an arm or leg with the device outside of the shower. Many children wear a shock device on each extremity so they can be shocked multiple times at once. What this so called school does is not treatment or therapy. JRC uses torture to control.

• Cath July 9, 2012 at 22:29 #

Hi Sally, I am a reporter working on an in-depth story about JRC. I am looking to speak to former staff. Can you call me, please? Cath 917.332.7047.

4. sharon February 21, 2012 at 00:05 #

My heart breaks for every autistic person there. This is barbaric in the extreme. Like Catherina I feel sick.

5. diane February 21, 2012 at 00:21 #

This is sickening and heartbreaking, yet I can not fathom that parents would send there child there given their prior record and if you read their website regarding “aversives”. I can not believe this allowed in this day and age!!!

6. Holly February 21, 2012 at 00:29 #

One question that should answer whether this is cruelty or therapy. What would the courts, police and anyone in general, have to say if a parent did this to their child? It would be CRUELTY! Parents, get your children out of this school! This isn’t even a humane way to treat an animal. Sick SOB’s.

7. Steve February 21, 2012 at 04:39 #

Hopefully some of the staff will now be spending time in jail…. This is pure torture, nothing else. Anyone who works at a place like this should really be looking at what they do… would you want someone to do this to your child???? We all need to call this place and complain, send them emails demanding justice for this young man……
    Is this how we treat people with mental problems????? dogs at a pound are treated better…
    Call 781-828-2202 to complain

8. Ashmire February 21, 2012 at 08:07 #

WHY is this damn place still allowed to exist?

9. AutismAdvocate February 21, 2012 at 16:31 #

If I were reading this article without first hand experience within JRC, I would be horrified so I completely understand where these comments are coming from. Prior to having worked for JRC I was guilty of many misconceptions myself. I can not speak to what occurred over 10 years ago, however, having worked at JRC within the last three years I can assure you that this report does not accurately portray the treatment and therapy provided at JRC today. I have a Masters Degree in Special Education as well as Applied Behavior Analysis, I have worked in many different treatment facilities for children with developmental disabilities and emotional disorders, and I have a passion and a love for all of these children. I would never have worked somewhere where I felt their best interest is not being pursued. This treatment is not only approved by the court, but also by the guardians of the students whom receive this treatment. This is typically sought after as a last resort, as positive reinforcement alone has not been successful for this group. Further, these individuals have endured over medication (which has left them with low to no ability to communicate, loss of interest in daily life activities, and inability to perform previously mastered life skills), hours of restraints, and severe self inflicted injuries that are life threatening. I understand that other facilities offer alternative treatment methods and are successful; however, this group of individuals has been repeatedly kicked out of these programs due to their inability to keep them and others safe while in their care. I just ask that everyone do the research for themselves and not believe everything you hear in the media. The parents/guardians of these children have done the research themselves and have chosen JRC as the best option to give their child the best quality of life possible.

• Sullivan February 22, 2012 at 05:19 #

“This treatment is not only approved by the court ”

Not in my state. Which brings up the question of how my state can allow placements to JRC. JRC’s methods are illegal here, but we are allowed to ship students out of state for that same “therapy”.

• Sullivan February 22, 2012 at 05:20 #

“I just ask that everyone do the research for themselves and not believe everything you hear in the media”

Precisely the point of the above article. How exactly can we do the research for ourselves if we are not allowed access to all the information?

10. Calli Arcale February 21, 2012 at 19:08 #

AutismAdvocate — if what you say is true, that parents choose this therapy after doing plenty of research, why have there been so many parents complaining about it as if they were surprised by what goes on there? This is hardly the first case I’ve heard about. What parent would sign off on shock treatment if they realized it could include being strapped to a board and shocked as punishment for twitching as retaliation for hitting a staff member? I’m sure the parents had no idea just how much pain their children would be subjected to at this center.

What is described is not therapy; it’s torture, and it’s clearly retaliatory in nature. Maybe you’re right, that the description isn’t accurate. In which case, the school should have no compunction about releasing the video and proving their case, right? Oh, they’re resisting the video’s release? Hmm. Strange, that.

11. Victoria Gillen February 21, 2012 at 19:36 #

NYC Department of Ed had JRC on a short list of residential schools that would take my son – who was “recommended” for a residential placement against my wishes, btw. No way would I send my child to that place! BUT – this was one of three facilities willing to even consider taking my guy; I was under the gun to get him placed immediately (he set the house on fire; we were under investigation by Children’s Services, who ordered us to place him out of the home).I had to demonstrate good faith, not just reject the program based on research (?!) so I met with representatives… the experience was like a time-share sales pitch, with glossy brochures showing a “reward” room right out of Pinnocchio’s Donkey Island… questions about aversives were dodged. I can see how a desperate parent could end up placing their child at JRC. Good lord, look at some of the garbage treatments pushed under the “alternative” label! And then consider the unfortunate fact that many parents are willing to use physical punishment…

12. get a clue Autism Advocate February 21, 2012 at 22:20 #

Shock treatment is only used as a last resort at JR you claim..”Autism Advocate?” Really? Why don’t you check out what happened at that torture chamber in 2007. Here’s a bit of what went on:

“Two special education students at the controversial Judge Rotenberg Educational Center in Canton were wrongfully delivered dozens of punishing electrical shocks in August based on a prank phone call from a former student posing as a supervisor, a state investigative report has found.”

You can read about that and the settlement all over the internet. I have no doubt this horror goes on much more often than anyone knows. The place is a hell hole.

• Sullivan February 22, 2012 at 05:16 #

Shock treatment is used as a last resort?

So, the student in question had 37 instances of “last resorts” over a seven hour period while strapped to a board and not allowed to eat, drink or use the bathroom?

13. SALLY February 22, 2012 at 00:28 #

It’s not used as a last resort. It’s used everyday for certain behaviors on the majority of the children. If Billy spits he gets a warning and if Billy spits again he gets shocked. If Billy spits again he gets shocked again. It’s painful, paralyzing and I almost urinated on myself. My one shock burned me and left a permanent scar, but I understand you have to justify it if you are administering the shock. It’s not therapy it’s torture.

14. stanley seigler February 22, 2012 at 01:56 #

@Ashmire: WHY is this damn place still allowed to exist

we have been around this bush a zillion times and yo question asked for decades…tho no excuse…a reason is society does not provide/fund adequate programs…that said:

CA outlawed JRC programs in the 1980s…MA still sucks up to one of their legislators…

close it down…kick the a-hole politicians out.

15. stanley seigler February 22, 2012 at 05:38 #

@AutismAdvocate: I have a Masters Degree in Special Education

parents beware of professionals with degrees…JRC is torture…

as mentioned CA outlawed JRC shock treatment in the 1980s (see MJ article)…any professional advocating torture should be criminally prosecuted.

i know my comments hyperbole…but should be considered…for the sake of our children.

16. Nunya February 22, 2012 at 08:18 #

I am a current Staff member at the Judge Rotenberg Center. For many reasons, I will not share my real name. JRC is required by law to obtain parental permission, Human Rights Organization Authorization, and Court approval for use of “Level 3 Aversives” including the Generalized Electonic Device “GED”(used for the 2 second skin shock), Contingent food programs, and even restraints. Not all students are under these programs. As for the shock treatment, it is only used for those students who are of significant health risk to themselves and others. I have also tried the shock for myself, and it really is not as bad as it sounds. I do not know the story behind this article, but it appears that this article is actually 12 years old. JRC has since implemented stricter guidelines for all Level 3 aversives. All I have to say is, if you do not know the story on all sides, don’t judge.

• Sullivan February 22, 2012 at 16:06 #

All I have to say is, if you do not know the story on all sides, don’t judge.

How can we know the story on all sides if video recordings are erased during investigations (as in the previous incident with former director Matthew Israel)? Or in this case where the video can’t be released?

Are you able to judge? You are an insider after all. Do you know what it is like to read this story as an outsider? If so, how is it that you have empathy and we do not?

Are you a former JRC student? If not, how exactly do *you* know all sides?

• Sullivan February 22, 2012 at 16:09 #

How exactly is an individual strapped to a restraint board a risk to himself or others?

17. The man February 22, 2012 at 13:51 #

How very pointless and surprising that someone who happens to be from JRC pops up on here. This is disgusting, and your weak attempts at defence are disgusting.

18. Anne February 22, 2012 at 18:34 #

JRC does get parental approval and probate court approval before implementing these high level aversives for a particular student. Parents are surprised because they give their consent before they know what the use of these aversives actually means. I don’t think that the parents and the probate judge are fully informed before consent is given. Then once consent is given, it is too late for the parent to object. It is a very messed up situation.

19. stanley seigler February 22, 2012 at 23:52 #

@Nunya

re: I am a current Staff member

you should know better…see comment re professionals w/ degrees…apologies for the adhom…but so very difficult to understand those who rationalize torture.

re: it really is not as bad as it sounds

how bad is it…

re: if you do not know the story on all sides, don’t judge…

CA knew the story on all sides and outlawed JRC shock and adversives in the 1980s…CA does not sent anyone to JRC…surely you do not believe there are no cases in CA with similar issues to those being shocked/tortured at JRC…

re: don’t judge.

dont rationalize for the sake of a paycheck…

20. JS February 23, 2012 at 03:01 #

Let me tell you something Nunya, no ethical behavior analyst would agree to work at JRC so it tells me what kind of person you are that you have no problem being part of this torture.

It is simply disgusting that the state of Mass. continues to allow this school to exist and even more disgusting that some school districts continue to send kids to this horrible place.

21. Saraquill February 24, 2012 at 03:21 #

Why does a place that is known for electro shocking its students have a friendly looking sign? That’s just false advertising.

22. Student February 24, 2012 at 17:36 #

I am a current nursing student and member of the American Holistic Nurses Association and I was disgusted when I read this article. I am currently writing a paper for my psychology class on this topic and the damaging psychological effects ECT can have on a patient, however, I am having trouble finding a Sociological Theory to back up my stance on the issue. If anyone here can give me some info to help me bring this forward I would greatly appreciate it.

23. David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. February 25, 2012 at 02:10 #

@Sally: “I was told that JRC uses shock as negative reinforcement.”

If that’s what they told you, then it is clear that they neither understand operant conditioning and nor do they want to.

Negative reinforcement is the application of a noxious stimulus, which is removed contingent upon the desired behaviour being engaged in by the person whose behaviour change is being reinforced. This process could take quite a long time. If an electric shock were used as such a reinforcer, then it would need to be applied constantly until the point in time at which the desired behaviour was engaged in, when it would be removed. Plus, a negative reinforcer is applied before engagement in the desired behaviour.

Not after.

@Sally: “If Billy spits he gets a warning and if Billy spits again he gets shocked. If Billy spits again he gets shocked again.”

What you just described is the application of a positive punishment: the use of a noxious stimulus, with the aim of reducing the probability of a person engaging in any given behaviour, and applied after the fact. There is also such a thing as negative punishment: the removal of some non-noxious stimulus in response to engagement of a given behaviour. The example you give is of the first sort of punishment. The second sort could be, for example, the removal of liberty.

For an electric shock to be in use as a negative reinforcer, it would need to be continuous until the desired behaviour comes. This could last for many minutes, even hours. The would certainly be torture. As for the use of electric shocks as positive punishments (which is what they’re doing – yes, they out-and-out lied to you about it), it’s a pity that yon SoB Matthew Israel failed to listen to the man he claims to have taught him about behavioural science – B. F. Skinner. Skinner knew some time ago that punishment does not work, and went on record as saying so.

The JRC is one of those places that makes me want to get violent – and this is not a feeling that I like. I have not watched the video, but I’ve seen lots of footage about the place before – and read some official reports on the place… it is very much a hateful place.

24. vmgillen February 25, 2012 at 03:47 #

@student: Asking for a sociological theory? you need to do your own homework – sorry, it’s harsh, but that’s life.

25. Student February 25, 2012 at 03:57 #

I actually didn’t ask for a Theory, I said I was trying to bring forward the damaging effects that ECT can have on a patient and asked for any info that someone could share with me to help me back up my search for a Theory as I do not have an autistic child myself or any experience yet with ECT. I was under the assumption that this blog was to help educate and discuss the issue for anyone looking for information, not for someone to be “harsh” or asinine. If you are not on here to help advocate for these children, then why would you even respond to my post? Don’t waste your time and mine and maybe take your bad attitude somewhere else.

26. Anne February 25, 2012 at 06:17 #

Student, I don’t think JRC uses ECT. ECT passes current through the brain under anesthesia. JRC uses electric shock to the skin, to cause pain, for punishment. It’s an aversive intervention used for behavior modification. You could do some research on the damaging psychological effects of aversives and punishments.

27. CC gradstudent March 27, 2012 at 00:24 #

I am completing my Independent Research Project to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor on the use of skin shock treatment. I am asking for your help in my research by completing the following anonymous survey.

Thanks.

28. Anonymous April 6, 2012 at 22:15 #

Email them anonymously: http://www.sendanonymousemail.net/

DOX: http://pastebin.com/P2Ypjm63
    Tell them we said “Hello”

To the director and staff of the Judge Rotenberg Center, we are Anonymous.

Your mistreatment of disabled children and young adults has been brought to our attention. Your extensive use of aversive methods, including electric shock and withholding of food as a form of behavioral modification is nothing less than torture. We are aware that your so called treatments include attaching electrodes to students and administering a shock that is up to 20 times more powerful than that delivered by a police taser. We have seen the effects of it in mainstream media broadcasts, and heard the statements of opposition by family and friends.

The founder, Doctor Matthew Israel was indicted on counts of obstructing justice by ordering the destruction of video evidence that detailed an event involving a student being shocked over 100 times. This is not the first action taken against the center for abuses. However, electric shock is still used as a part of the centers aversive program.

In response to your torture of these individuals, we have initiated an operation against your center. We are calling upon all concerned citizens to spread the message of opposition through social networks, emails, and phone communications. Contact your local representatives and the Judge Rotenberg Center directly and voice your concern. We will no longer tolerate the abuse of the innocent.

We are demanding the immediate discontinue of all harsh aversive methods. This is a warning that you should not take lightly.

We are Anonymous.
    We are legion.
    We do not forgive.
    We do not forget.
    Judge Rotenberg Center, you should expect us.

• Sullivan April 6, 2012 at 22:22 #

Anonymous–

I held back your previous email because I wasn’t sure if the phone numbers were work or private. I don’t want to publish private phone numbers.

29. McD April 7, 2012 at 11:04 #

What David said.

That ain’t negative reinforcement.

I would argue that it is not punishment either. There is no indication that it reduced the target behavior (hitting the staff member) or even that it could have potentially reduced the target behavior. Screaming and tensing up were reflex behaviors – if he did not scream or tense up after that sort of treatment if would have been more surprising.

It was just flat out torture.

30. Jsant April 10, 2012 at 05:09 #

If I was to read this for the first time id be horrified! But guess what I work here this is FALSE information.. The.mother had to consent of the shock treatment used on tge child also she was trained to use this equipment and bring it home for andrews home visits. As well as the child could not be held for no more than 6 hrs at a time. He will be asked if he need a drink or bathroom every 2 hrs or upon request! As well as the 31 shocks were stretched out in a 6 hr time frame and its a 2 second shock so in total he was shocked for 1 minute spread out in a 6 hr time frame. You will never understand this til you work here and get tge proper training for this. This shock therapy has helped alot of students with behaviors of hurting them selves and others in alot of cases these student have stopped their head banging to the points of stroke, or breaking bones and ect! BEFORE YOU.JUDGE DO THE REAL RESEARCH!!

31. Jsant April 10, 2012 at 05:32 #

And they also dont tell you andrew use to bite staff and others and eat their skin thats why he wears a helmet! Also I bet they dont mention when andrew was going on a home visit with his mother she threaten to shock him in the cab because he was exposing himself and masturbating in public! As well as the whole starving thing we never starve them if they dont eat at tgeir designated time for what ever reason they are offered another meal at 7:30 pm after all their other meals are completed to make up for what ever calories are missing!! These restraint chairs or boards are use to help and insure the safety of staff and the client!

32. jackie April 11, 2012 at 16:32 #

JSant,

You are violating HIPAA. If you work there you should be fired and there should be a complaint made at

See you in hell.

33. stanley seigler April 11, 2012 at 16:56 #

@Jsant: “…I work here this is FALSE information…”

think you are legally required to report abuse…well at least its use should not be rationalize…

perhaps a review of the MJ (aug2007) article is appropriate… and does anyone know the result of the US DOJ investigation of JRC…http://motherjones.com/politics/2007/08/school-shock

the (mis)use of aversives at JRC have been known for decades…incomprehensible they still torture our children and adult friends.

BTW aversives are illegal in many states…CA for sure.

34. Claire April 11, 2012 at 22:49 #

I am also one of the employees that ever worked at that instituition. I must stay many staff that worked there never believed in the treatment but had no choice but to implement it. Students like Mike Perrazo, why would he be on the GED. If a student was asked to stand up three times and refused, it was considered being non-compliant and he would be shocked. Doctor Israel him self nver listened to anybody, you would sit in meatings, and case managers would not say anything for fear of being fired. Look at the likes of Dr. Worsham and many more who stood ground and walked away. Dr Israel never listened to anybody and thats why he erased the video’s and wnet into a plea not to be charged. I was there when Andre was shocked in the small conference room downstairs and for a second I thought that little kid was going to die. For Dr. Israel to ask for the video’s to be erased, he know what impact this would bring to him and thats one indication that what ever he was doing was cruel. I remember of a staff member shock a kid in the work shop five times and one staff memer that was standing in the same room, started crying, took off her apron and walked out quitting.She said she could not do this. I would never let my kid e shocked like that no matter how bad his health was. and I feel bad for the kids I shocked. Justice has to be done to that lady and Dr Israel should also be punished for his actions.

35. Ian April 13, 2012 at 14:10 #

Pain is not treatment, it’s torture.

Evil is taking, not giving, as in this case.

Just being taken from my home and my parents,
    then restrained by sadistic grownups that are supposed to do anything but this,
    even without being tortured for hours on end, just being restrained,
    and screaming for mom and dad, realizing they will NOT come,
    and I’d go into coma for three days too.

Exactly how is this gonna teach a “violent” kid NOT to be “violent” anyway?
    That’s the question. Isn’t what we see only ironic evil hypocricy?

Do they WANT to bring upon the children everything from schizofrenia to suicide?
    Apparently.
    These sick sadists don’t need jail.
    Only “therapy” for them would be something like Hell.
    Only problem is, they already know this themselves as well..

Psychopathic satanists and luciferians have taken over.

Time to DO SOMETHING yet?

Vigilantcitizen com. Henrymakow com. Occupyjrc org.

36. Shawni May 23, 2012 at 03:59 #

This is wrong!!!! This is evil and wrong!
    These children need the right help through Christian Counseling. Only God can heal them! These idiot secular psychologists don’t care about these children or healing them. If they did they wouldn’t be torturing them.

37. Chris May 23, 2012 at 14:48 #

By the hammer of Thor! Which god?

Are you okay with Jewish, Hindi, Buddhist, Muslim, Bahai and other religious counselors?

38. lilady September 12, 2012 at 05:46 #

I knew I read a report following an investigation by the NYS Education Department (2006), and it was full of the conditions prevalent there including aversive *treatments* such as delivery of electric shocks, described by some of the former employees who posted up thread. http://nospank.net/jrc.pdf

It is a rather thorough report and describes the huge percentage of kids who are placed there from New York State School districts….primarily the NYC school district.

Before you defend the Rotenberg Center you MUST read this report which details the *sales pitch* of staff who woo parents desperate for placement of their very severely disabled children. See how the IEP decided by the child’s home district is not followed in many instances and ancillary recommended therapies are not provided.

The instruments used to deliver electric jolts had been altered upward to delivery quite painful shocks, through the electrodes that some kids had pasted to the their bodies 24/7.

Some kids then had that *therapy* approved by a court order and presumably judges are still ordering that *therapy*, today.

You would have to have an understanding why this center became a last resort for children from NYC and New York State, who were so disabled with severe self injurious behaviors and had nowhere else to go. The State was prioritizing group home placement for higher functioning (non-problematic) developmentally disabled adults. There were absolutely no group homes being set up for children, with the exception of small numbers of children who resided in the Willowbrook and Suffolk Developmental Centers…where the State was directed by the Federal Courts to deinstitutionalize these large human warehouses.

New York State has made great strides toward deinstitutionalizing and siting group homes in neighboring communities (“Right at home, right in the neighborhood”), yet there remain long lists of children and adults whose parents struggle to provide the often intensive care that these individuals require. Consequently, “Centers” and “Schools” out of state for kids with profoundly disabling behaviors of who have multiple severe/profound physical and intellectual impairments still exist, specifically to accept children from New York State.

It is incumbent upon parents whose kids have extraordinary needs to organize themselves, badger their local representatives elected to the NYS Assembly and Senate, make appointments with Governor Cuomo’s regional representative for your area of the state. NYC residents need to meet with representatives on the City Council. And, by all means describe your plight to reporters from local newspapers and local TV channels.

39. Robyn August 19, 2015 at 02:42 #

It’s been 5 YEARS since the UN declared JRC methods as Torture and demanded they immediately cease punishing and experimenting on disabled children. FIVE Years. Yet it continues, unabated. These Sadists have no fear of the Law, CPS, the Police, or International outcry. No one will stop them, so they don’t give a damn. These kids are as young as 3 years old! Many cannot even talk. Most are severely developmentally delayed. They are starved, taped into sacks for hours, shocked day and night, never knowing kindness, compassion or love. Poor poor babies!!

1. 31 Shocks Later « Left Brain Right Brain - September 11, 2012

[…] McCollins’ story has been discussed here at Left Brain/Right Brain before (here and […]

2. FDA proposes a ban on electric shock devices such as used at the Judge Rotenberg Center | Left Brain Right Brain - April 28, 2016

[…] JRC was in the news after a student was tied to a board for 7 hours and shocked 31 times. The original news story links are no longer valid, but I will try to find them and link to them […]