1 Oct

Biden is a stutterer. He’s learned how to communicate clearly but that involves focus. There’s a great story in The Atlantic on this: John Hendrickson’s What Joe Biden Can’t Bring Himself to Say. Here is one paragraph discussing possible ongoing strategies Biden has:

Eric S. Jackson, an assistant professor of communicative sciences and dis­orders at NYU, told me he believes that Biden’s eye movements—the blinks, the downward glances—are part of his ongoing efforts to manage his stutter. “As kids we figure out: Oh, if I move parts of my body not associated with the speech system, sometimes it helps me get through these blocks faster,” Jackson, a stutterer himself, explained.

I watched the start of the presidential debate last night, and watched more segments through the night. Everyone could see the interruptions and it’s natural to assume that this was Trump’s attempt to dominate the conversation. And Trump wanted to appear stronger than Biden, to be bullying him. And, of course, to try to get Biden angry. All of these are probably true.

But there’s another aspect to this. Watch Biden, he clearly focuses on what he’s saying to get through the stuttering. Trump’s team clearly saw this and saw this as a way to derail Biden. So the strategy emerged: keep interrupting, keep chattering while Biden is talking. This will throw Biden off. If Biden interrupts in kind, as he did some times, it won’t work as well because, frankly, Trump doesn’t think while he talks. And it is a way to get under Biden’s skin. Keep poking at that stutter–without being completely obvious–and Biden will get angry.

As I read John Hendrickson’s piece I realized a few things. I realized how lucky I am. Lucky that my speech issues were caught early, and that since special education had started being offered in schools, I was able to get help early. But I also realized how I need focus to speak on important issues, and how interruptions make that so difficult.

So, yeah, I think this is real. Team Trump saw an opening. A disability in an opponent. And they planned their attack to use that disability.

These are the people running the country today. This is why I can’t sit back and watch 2016 happen again.

By Matt Carey

23 Responses to “Trump’s strategy in the debate was to abuse Biden’s disability. That should sicken any real American.”

1. David J. October 1, 2020 at 15:12 #

First, Biden wants to be president of the United States. There is a high bar for that position. Not everyone can do it. Let’s not forget that.

Second, Trump never attacked the disability; he attacked the non-sensical statements and the changing of numbers mid sentence. Stop with the leftist propaganda to pretend Biden is anything but a senile puppet for a communist Marxist agenda..

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 16:32 #

David J, you are an apologist. Trump didn’t say, “He’s a stutterer, haha”. But his team is targeting the stuttering as an angle. They are using it. Knowingly.

And, nonsensical statements? Trump’s team is attacking nonsensical statements? That’s rich.

In case that isn’t clear enough: Donald “let’s inject sunshine and bleach. Covfefe!” Trump is laughable in taking that tactic. Want some video of Trump just rambling away? Or stating entire phrases of babble? I can post them.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 16:33 #

“Stop with the leftist propaganda to pretend Biden is anything but a senile puppet for a communist Marxist agenda..”

Yeah, I should be like you who clearly thinks for himself and doesn’t just parrot a party line.

(did you miss the sarcasm? My openly mocking you? If so, reread what I wrote. I very much am mocking you)

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 16:36 #

“There is a high bar for that position. Not everyone can do it. Let’s not forget that.”

First, Donald Trump has proven over 4 years that not everyone can do it. Let’s not forget that. He’s failed repeatedly. Not just in mismanaging the pandemic resulting in many more deaths than we should have in the U.S..

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 17:22 #

One last point:

Mr. Trump either had a major gaffe with “stand back and stand by”. He was asked if he’d tell white supremacists to stand down. Instead he appears to be telling them to await future orders.

Tell me again about gaffes. Either Trump gaffed big time, or he actually supports white supremacists.

And, let’s face it, saying “I condemn white supremacists” isn’t hard. But look at that deer in the headlights look on Trump when asked to make a clear statement. Watch as he tries to stall for time to formulate and answer. Why ask for a name of a group? Just say it, “I condemn white supremacist groups.

So, you have either a major gaffe or you have a racist. Or both.

Oh, wait, there is another point.

So, your defense of Donald Trump is to falsely claim that Biden is disabled (senile). Yeah, great defense there. Clearly Trump supporters show respect for the disabled and don’t use terms of disability in stigmatizing and inaccurate ways. Way to go, dude!

• David J. October 1, 2020 at 18:18 #

No I don’t parrot the line. I critically think and analyze the current situation and what Mr Trump has done so far. Biden has had 47 years to get things done, but hasn’t done crap. Trump has accomplished a lot in under 4 years. Regardless of his personality and such, he still gets shit done. I’d rather have a lion in the office who is aggressive and won’t let others walk all over him.

As far as the topic of race, the only one I see racist is Biden. Let’s not forgot the “super predators” comment or the “you ain’t black” comment or the kids sitting on his lap and rubbing his leg comment of Biden. When did Trump say anything like that. and let’s not forget Kim Klacik and Candace Owens, both black who support him. If Trump was truly racist, not one black person would support him, but thousands do. Why do you think that is?

I guess you also forget the record low unemployment rate for African Americans under Trump and the fact that not one law enforcement agency supports Biden. But then again you probably just believe whatever the MSM shoves down your throat anyway.

And how nice of you to mock me. I am a total stranger to you, yet you feel the need to mock and insult me. Mostly a leftist thing I have found in the past few years.

Why didn’t Biden answer Trump’s question about packing the court? Not answering a question works both ways. And Biden still has no defense for his son Hunter’s payoff from Russia.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:11 #

Your powers of analysis are bad. Funny how you misanalyse something and come to the party line.

Oh, now we are on to “The Democrats are the Real Racists!” party line! Of course you came to that yourself.

Have you done a trend of unemployment over time? Tell me how much the slope improved with Trump. Since you do the analysis yourself and all.

No, it isn’t nice of you to be mocked by me. I didn’t pretend to be nice. Why should I? You got insulted that your celebrity was being called out and came here to try to defend him. And now you want us to discuss your talking points.

Your next approved comment will be on topic. I.e. discussing Trump’s approach to people with disabilities. I.e. you are no longer being automatically approved.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:13 #

At this point you can complain about how I am unfair, afraid and/or censoring you.

I don’t have to deal with people threadjacking on my site.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:43 #

For regular readers of this blog: notice the similarity of Trump supporters to the anti-vaccine commenters.

Let’s say this were a post about Andrew Wakefield. One of his fans would pop in and say, “But Brian Deer did this that and the other thing!” And then list off all the supposed accomplishments of Wakefield.

Letting stand a critique is very difficult for them. They need to make noise and try to blunt a negative message. They also like to show off what good fans they are by their knowledge of the talking points. Which are all the same, but they also want you to know that they “think for themselves” and “do their own homework”.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:54 #

“Clearly you forgot Biden calling Trump a “clown” and telling him “to shut up” Way presidential material there and very respectful.”

Not a fight you can win. Clearly all you want is to argue and make noise. Take those standards and apply to DJT. You lose. Clearly and resoundly.

• chavisory October 1, 2020 at 19:04 #

Yes, there *should* be a high bar for the position of President.
      Having a stutter in no way affects somebody’s ability to do the job. There are multiple stutterers in my family; they’re all extremely competent people at the jobs they do. It’s something that doesn’t reflect on somebody’s character, knowledge base, or competence.

Trump, on the other hand, has repeatedly proven severe deficits of character and willingness to abide by the law and act in the best interest of the American citizenry. And I’d say that no matter what his political ideology was.

• David J. October 1, 2020 at 19:28 #

Name 1 thing Trump had done that did not abide by law. Dont you think that if he did in fact break law that he would have been impeached and found guilty and removed from office?

And don’t bring up taxes since he abided by the tax code helped written by… you guessed it Joe Biden.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:19 #

I am not so naive as to think that Trump’s lack of impeachment was based on facts and not on politics. And, yes, the impeachment itself was driven in part by politics.

But, here is where I get to respond to your comments, but you have to return to the actual topic of the post. I can point you to many sites where you will be cheered for claiming you “triggered” someone on the internet or somehow otherwise won an argument against a person who does not appreciate Trump’s greatness.

• wzrd1 October 1, 2020 at 23:49 #

There never was a lack of impeachment. He was impeached, but was not convicted by the Senate. He remains impeached by the House.
        That the Senate prostituted their office to collectively ignore felonious behavior, especially attempted extortion is damning for that majority party. It screams, “Rules for you, but none for meeeeeee!”.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 2, 2020 at 03:26 #

It was seriously bad. The “jury” in the impeachment trial (a) communicated with the accused to coordinate the defense and (b) signaled before the proceeding started that they would acquit.

Told Americans and the world that there is a two tier legal system in America. If the legal system is made up of people in your camp, you are likely to get set free.

And now we wonder “why are there tens of millions of people protesting for months on end? They must be anarchists who want to end America”.

Now, if you will excuse me, this soup is for my family.

• wzrd1 October 1, 2020 at 19:42 #

Amazing, the godlike powers of Joe Biden! He’s still writing tax code, despite being long out of Congress! Is he using a time machine as well?

One law, I’ll go with two. Embezzlement and tax fraud, courtesy of his company officer daughter drawing a salary *and* collecting unlawful consultant fees, which he then wrote off as an expense.

As for the shut up crack, I’d have told him it a tad more sternly.
        “As you agreed in to the debate rules, you shut up when it’s my time to speak. So, if while speaking that I’ll want your opinion, remain silent until I give that opinion to you”.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:15 #

The “shut up” and “you clown” complaints are classic.

We have a group of people who say, “Trump changed the rules. We want someone who does something differently!”

The same people then complain when other people, say the media, actually change to adapt to Trump’s style.

• wzrd1 October 1, 2020 at 23:45 #

He’d have hated me with “Don’t use the word smart with me”, as I’d completely agree with him that smart in relation to him is entirely inapplicable.

• Chris October 2, 2020 at 06:28 #

Aw, such a naive child. Trump has mocked those with disabilities, but you don’t care. You don’t care because you are a true gullible follower.

Your kid gets mocked for their lack of speech. … you laugh it off, and tell your kid they are an idiot.

Your kid is a victim of others when they throw fire crackers at him as he sits at a bus stop trying to get home from taking a makeup history class in high school… you laugh it off and tell the kid they are an idiot and deserved that kind of treatment.

I am sorry, since when did caring about a child with disabilities was a same thing as thinking they were adhering to a failed economic system (communism)?

Do you really hate the disabled so much? This makes you a gullible ableiest. That is not a good thing.

2. Chris October 1, 2020 at 16:18 #

At work there was a brilliant applied mathematician with a terrible stutter. I learned quickly that all I had to do was to quietly listen to him and I would learn lots. This lesson has been very helpful with my oldest autistic child, who can now speak but it requires patience. The on accommodation we request from the job coach is to listen to him without interruption.

By the way, our youngest child whose younger brother and I believe was imprinted by speech therapists during their first five years (for older brother time with SLPs) is now a fully credentialed Speech Language Pathologist. Who is now looking for an SLP fellowship in a pandemic.

3. wzrd1 October 1, 2020 at 19:57 #

I did get a chuckle when Biden quipped, “Inshallah”. My wife and I use that phrase all the time, within the same correct context. A side effect of spending 5 years in various GCC nations.
    Just as I was thinking, “Alhamdulillah, nobody had a stroke during his boorish and childish outbursts” during the hot mess, inside of a thrumpster fire, inside of a train wreck of a debacle of a debate that it was.
    I’m willing to bet that the mikes will have mute available for the moderator for all subsequent debates. Although, I do suspect that once his mike is muted for the first attempt to interrupt, the mindless beast will wander off somewhere.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 1, 2020 at 20:06 #

Muting the mic only does so much. Biden will still hear him. So Trump can still try to throw Biden off.

• wzrd1 October 1, 2020 at 23:42 #

Well, other than putting them in different rooms, we’re shy solutions that don’t involve a cattle prod.
        I doubt he’d agree to a demerit system that included timeouts. Second timeout is with him standing in the corner for five minutes… 😉