MMR Still Doesn’t Cause Autism (and never did)

4 Feb

Yet another study will shortly be published that yet again shows no link between autism and MMR:

There is no evidence for a link between the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) jab and autism, finds research published ahead of print in the Archives of Disease in Childhood.

The authors took almost 250 kids born between ’90 and ’91. 98 were ASD. 52 had special needs with no ASD. 90 had no special needs and were developing within ‘normal’ parameters. All the children had been vaccinated against MMR, but not all of them had been given both doses.

The team took blood samples and found no persistent measles infection, no abnormal immune response.

Results of the blood sample analysis showed that there was no difference in circulating measles virus or antibody levels between the two groups of children.

Tellingly, it didn’t matter which of three groups the team looked at – none of them exhibited any ‘bad blood’ whether they’d had both MMR shots or not. Or if the autistic kids had experienced regression or not.

The team further found no evidence of any kind of so-called ‘autistic enterocolitis’ – in fact no evidence of any bowel disorders of any kind were found among the autistic kids.

The alst line of the news report is very pointed:

The authors point out that theirs is now the third, and largest, study that has failed to show a link between the MMR jab and autism.

Quite.

Repeat after me – MMR doesn’t cause autism. It never did.

Awhile ago I wrote a piece on the history of the MMR hypothesis. You can read it here.

Advertisements

26 Responses to “MMR Still Doesn’t Cause Autism (and never did)”

1. notmercury February 5, 2008 at 00:58 #

Let me save the MMRacles some trouble.

1. Epidemiology doesn’t prove that the MMR can’t cause autism in a small group of children with suppressed immune systems.

2. Just because they can’t find the virus in the bloodstream doesn’t mean it isn’t lodged in the intestines.

3. Wakefield has been unfairly persecuted.

4. If the MMR doesn’t cause autism, why did little Johnny stop talking within seconds of his MMR shot.

5. How do they explain off-the-charts Measles titers?

6. This report was funded by big Pharma. Say no more, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

7. Wakefields work has been replicated by American researchers.

2. Broken Link February 5, 2008 at 01:00 #

Nice find, Kev. But no real surprise is it? Anyone who persists in believing in MMR causing autism is truly delusional, despite their firmly held personal experience. My child watched a lot of TV before she was diagnosed. So there.

3. bones February 5, 2008 at 03:00 #

for those interested

Measles vaccination and antibody response in autism spectrum disorders is available online. http://press.psprings.co.uk/adc/january/ac122937.pdf

4. Beau February 5, 2008 at 04:34 #

You never fail us, Kev.

5. Matt February 5, 2008 at 19:18 #

The PSC must be working overtime with all the papers that have come out in just 2008.

It is not shaping up to be a good year for their case. Perhaps they shouldn’t have stalled so long going to court?

6. mayfly February 5, 2008 at 22:34 #

The hypothesis that MMR causes autism has been so thoroughly debunked there are no straws left to grasp. That was true before this article. I doubt there is a serious scientist left who supports it. The autism/mercury postulation has been assigned to the garbage can and the door all but slammed shut.

What I found interesting is that no autistic child had no bowel disorders of any kind. At one time I was convinced I had the only autistic child without gut problems.

I’m pretty sure DAN Doctor’s find gut problems to be almost universal. I’ve lost track of the number of people who have told me “If I can just solve his gut problems …”

However. on the other side there have been quite a few papers published in peer reviewed journals showing gut disorders are more common in autistics.

Perhaps this is the next area where the science needs to reviewed.

7. B. Campaigne February 6, 2008 at 17:55 #

Why is the focus always only on thimerosal?
    Included on this list of chemical concerns should also be formaldehyde, M.S.G., aluminum, Butylated hydroxytoluene or B.H.T. and many others.
    Don’t let the mainstream media and pharma spin doctors lull you into only focusing on the thimerosal.
    Remember these corporations would no doubt lose everything if a connection is made between the preservatives and the world wide vaccine programs.
    I saw my 5yr old son’s live blood analysis taking place.
    I saw live candida yeast in his blood.
    I saw the heavy metals as well.
    Where do you think it came from?
    Leaky gut syndrome comes from the M.M.R jab.
    Oh and by the way if anyone commenting on this subject doesn’t have a child on the spectrum that they live with every day … shutup!
    We saw the change in our child right after the second round of vaccinations.
    Freedom of the person requires not only, or not even especially, the absence of legal constraints but the presence of alternative thoughts. The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities.
    I have come to the conclusion that those who benefit from any societal mechanism rarely wish to understand that mechanism, especially if it appears to grant them power or authority and understanding it or any alternatives would restrict, diminish or destroy that power apparently granted.
    They live in a vapid world of learned assumptions.
    Lets face it if you have acronyms after your name your whole goal is to get published and funded no matter how ridiculous your position is.
    Most if not all of the researchers and their research are in the pocket of Big Pharma.

8. isles February 6, 2008 at 20:59 #

B. Campaigne,

yada yada societal mechanism yada yada vapid world yada yada in the pocket yada yada alternative thoughts yada yada fishcakes.

Bring evidence or go home.

9. elmo February 6, 2008 at 21:32 #

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……wha? huh?

Oh, sorry. As soon as I read the term “[Big] Pharma” I fell asleep out of boredom.

10. Kev February 6, 2008 at 21:34 #

I found your paragraph more compelling and easier to understand than B’s Isles.

11. Kassiane February 7, 2008 at 01:40 #

Why do parents think they should have more say over autistic people than autistic people should? It’s demeaning, especially when the people doing such ranting have yet to master the paragraph.

(why yes, I am poking fun. Especially since vaccines have been exonerated umpteen trillion times)

12. notmercury February 7, 2008 at 01:52 #

B.S.Campaigne: “I saw my 5yr old son’s live blood analysis taking place.
    I saw live candida yeast in his blood.
    I saw the heavy metals as well.”

No you didn’t, what you saw was bit of video enhanced slight of hand. If you fell for the “Live Blood Cell Analysis” you’ll believe nearly anything and there really isn’t any point in discussing anything else you’ve said. You’ve been conned.

13. B. Campaigne February 7, 2008 at 02:37 #

notmercury,isles and elmo
    At least have the courage to exercise your freedom of speech by using your real names.
    Otherwise you do not exist.
    Like I said…
    They live in a vapid world of learned assumptions.
    Go get a beer turn on the tube and suck back all the propaganda you can.
    You are all part of the “dumbing down”.
    What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies to our faces…

14. notmercury February 7, 2008 at 04:55 #

Naah, I’m gonna take some X and watch a few episodes of Sponge Bob on DVD. I hear, if you look closely, you can see the live yeasts and heavy metals floating around his pineapple home.

Mmmmmmm, I feel dumber already.

15. elmo February 7, 2008 at 05:06 #

Mark Blaxill?! Is that you?!? Wow. Talk about the “wackosphere!”

Awwwww. Nice try. You want me to use my real name, why? So you can continue on your lunatic ranting and ravings and so people in the pro mercury camp can chase after me and my kids? No frickin’ way. And how do I know for sure that your name is your real name?

Now if you’ll excuse me….my gut is leaking into my brain because Big Pharma has taken over my body and my brain and my pocketbook.

Or I don’t exist…or something…I dunno.

Is it a full moon tonight? Or does the tin foil hat need refoiling?

16. elmo February 7, 2008 at 05:13 #

Ooooooh, move over on that couch, notmercury. And pass the X. I’ll bring the beer.

17. dosXX February 7, 2008 at 06:22 #

Dos Equis?

18. notmercury February 7, 2008 at 15:20 #

Hay pelo de caballo en mi cerveza!

19. century February 7, 2008 at 17:20 #

“no evidence of any bowel disorders of any kind were found among the autistic kids”

No, because the ones with bowel problems were excluded

20. Kev February 7, 2008 at 19:38 #

Were they Century? Could you provide the quote from the paper that states that?

21. Regan February 8, 2008 at 00:36 #

Baird, et. al. (2008). Measles vaccination and antibody response in autism spectrum disorders. Arch dis child
    doi:10.1136/adc.2007.122937

p. 2: flow chart of stratification of patients.
    (I do not see entercolitis or such symptoms as an exclusionary criterion in the study).
    p. 3: “…Gastrointestinal symptoms reflecting the presentation of gastrointestinal symptom constellations in general clinical paediatric practice were assessed using a 22-item questionnaire completed by the main caregiver. Current (in the last 3 months) and past symptoms were elicited. A “possible entercolitis” group was constructed from the presence of two or more of the following five current gastrointestinal symptoms–current persistent diarrhoea (defined as loose/watery stolls three ormore times a day for >14 days); current persistent vomiting (occuring at least once a day or more than 5 times in a week); current weight loss; current persistent abdominal pain (three or more episodes severe enough to interfere with activity); current blood in stool–plus past persistent diarrhoea for >14 days duration and excluding current constipation.
    p.5 Under Discussion
    “Only one child had symptoms of possible enterocolitis, and this child was in the control group”
    “… Gut symptoms were elicited, but the children were too old for accurate reporting of retrospective gut symptoms comfidently contamporaneous with MMR vaccination. A clinically relevant definition of enterocolitis based on persistent symptoms was therefore used for this paper…”

22. Regan February 8, 2008 at 01:05 #

BTW–apologies for typos.
    The short version is that I saw a survey of enterocolitis in the paper, a flow chart of inclusion/exclusion criteria and no explicit exclusion based on presence of enterocolitis, unless someone can point out from the text where that is.

I have twice today in blogs read the statement that children with “bowel problems were excluded”, which makes me wonder if that is going to be the new mantra about this study.

23. century February 8, 2008 at 15:17 #

24. Kev February 8, 2008 at 15:41 #

Did you misunderstand the question Century? It was:

_”Could you provide the quote from the paper that states that?”_

Not the opinion of John Stone. Not your opinion. The statement that kids were excluded because they had bowel issues.

25. Kev February 18, 2008 at 22:11 #

B. Campaigne:

I’m writing this here as I’ve tried to send you mail and it just kept bouncing back.

I’ve sin-binned you for a week. I’ve done this as you spammed my blog with the exact same post four times in a row. I simply can’t be bothered deleting off-comment diatribes and random abstracts. Come back in a week.

1. Autism, Melatonin, and the MMR - Mutterings Of A Mindless Mommy - February 9, 2008

[…] MMR Still Doesn’t Cause Autism (and never did) at Left Brain/Right Brain […]