Jenny Mcarthy on HBOT

6 May

Given the recent death of a woman and serious injury of a child in a hyperbaric chamber. It is perhaps worth highlighting Jenny McCarthy’s recent “tweet”.

Im inside a hyperbaric chamber. This thing makes me feel amazing.

If a vaccine “exploded” killing one person and critically injuring another with such clear causality, one can imagine McCarthy would be the first to stand up and denounce it. Instead, as one commentator says it’s “All risk, no benefit” when it comes to the quackery surrounding autism, and that’s before you risk dreadful gluten-free and casein-free cup cakes. Meanwhile, despite having no evidence, McCarthy suggests vaccines are dangerous toxic products and may be responsible for the start of an explosion of preventable childhood diseases.

23 Responses to “Jenny Mcarthy on HBOT”

1. autismherd May 6, 2009 at 12:23 #

“Im inside a hyperbaric chamber. This thing makes me feel amazing”

Now, if only someone would shut and lock the door behind her…

2. Arthur_ May 6, 2009 at 13:41 #

Was she using her cell phone INSIDE an oxygen chamber !??

3. FieldingHurst May 6, 2009 at 14:34 #

Cell phone OK in mHBOT, Mild HBot not using straight Oxygen. I think it’s 24% O.

4. Kev May 6, 2009 at 19:37 #

Question: _why_ is she inside a HBOT chamber? I thought Evan was totally cured?

Fielding – I think you’re going to find that 24% of oxygen is still pretty explosive. And how exactly is mHBOT effective if not using the right amount of O2?

5. joeyandymom May 6, 2009 at 20:48 #

Maybe she was being clear: she was making HERSELF feel better…

6. Kev May 6, 2009 at 21:00 #

Could be. I just asked her on Twitter. Lets see if I get a response.

7. Clay May 6, 2009 at 21:56 #

We can only hope it sparks a response!

8. Prometheus May 6, 2009 at 22:26 #

I wonder how many of the practitioners offering HBOT (hyperbaric oxygen therapy) for autism are aware that the “soft chambers” most of them use are specifically prohibited (by the USFDA) from being used with any supplemental oxygen. Not even 24%.

The explosion in Florida (it was a deflagration, to be precise) was apparently in a chamber that was certified for use with up to 100% oxygen. However, that doesn’t mean that the clothing or linens in the chamber won’t catch fire – explosively – in the enriched oxygen environment.

People who are younger than fifty may need to “Google” the terms “Apollo” and “fire” to discover that people have known for years (42 years, at least) what happens when a spark (think static electricity) occurs in an high-oxygen environment. Instant inferno.

Given that no controlled study has seen any benefit to HBOT (even real HBOT) in cerebral palsy (or autism), why would physicians put their patients at risk in this way? I can sort of understand the parents, but why do the physicians – who should know better – buy in to this nonsense?

The answer, sadly, is usually money. HBOT is a “hot seller” in the “alternative” medicine world. HBOT chambers are real money-makers – they pay for themselves in a matter of months and then it’s all profit!

Of course, I’m sure that the practitioners offering HBOT for CP, autism, stroke and (I’m not kidding) Lyme disease are very sincere in their belief that this “therapy” helps their patients. It also goes without saying that they haven’t tried too hard to convince themselves otherwise.

Prometheus

9. me.yahoo.com/bodoh_bali May 7, 2009 at 00:13 #

cell phones, MP3 players and devices of this ilk certainly contraband in the hyperbaric units I work with. This is an accident waiting to happen…

10. lisanavi May 7, 2009 at 15:04 #

I have this theory about Jenny. She promotes one thing and does another. the quackery makes her controversial and therefore people buy her book. If her book was just another “One on one schooling/therapy helps!” book it’d be boring. But from her access hollywood video that’s exactly what her son gets. She showed the room where he gets one on one schooling. The house is tailored to the child. If I had the money I’d do that as well. She explained that he does not play with other children because he has a seizure disorder (which of course she did not explain was not a symptom of autism) and if he gets sick it could trigger a seizure.

If my son could talk, and was potty trained, he’d look very typical when only interacting with adults, too, provided he wasn’t stimming. But you know once you stick him in a room with his peers, the autism is evident…

Her son is only cured if you base it solely on the stereotypical symptoms of autism.

11. Ken January 17, 2010 at 06:45 #

The fact that autism is caused many times by vaccines is inarguable. There are hundreds of clear cut cases where the reaction and fall into this dreadful diagnosis is immediate like within the day or 48 hours of receiving them. The only thing that can be argued about is whether it is the main or only cause. The quacks are those who have the most to lose hiding behind fluffed statistics to protect themselves from lawsuits.

12. Dedj January 17, 2010 at 06:58 #

Hundreds of supposedly clear cut cases (it used to be tens of thousands! Don’t talk your side down!) would be easy to substantiate with a slew of references to competantly done, peer reviewed, and validated studies.

If such things actually existed, there’d be no need to re-surrect 9 month old threads.

Don’t let mealy mouthed insults and chronic offensive behaviour replace evidence.

Toodle off now, boy.

13. DATA January 19, 2010 at 16:10 #

What I read here is a mass of uneducated, sarcastic and condescending commentary, opinions and just plan horse puckey on a therapy that is the only way known to mankind that has any opportunity to increase the human body’s ability to repair the brain. Saturating the blood plasma and other body fluids brings oxygen to places that it would otherwise never reach. Does anyone who commented negativly really understand partial pressure and Boyle’s law. You are hurting those you don’t know by expressing naive and negative comments, which in my opinion makes you ignorant. Be slow to speak, quick to listen and very slow to anger. Study, then comment.

That’s all I have to say.

14. Dedj January 19, 2010 at 17:05 #

Boyles Law concerns gas pressure and has zippidy do da to do with Ox Sat levels.

Oxygen is a essential component of multiple cellular functions, and cell death from hypoxia can occur within hours.

Your explanation of HBOT not only makes no sense but quotes irrelevant laws.

Please leave if you’re just going to talk crap at us.

Otherwise, present the evidence and allow us to view it for ourselves.

15. Symantha January 20, 2010 at 22:21 #

Don’t knock Jenny until you get your facts straight. There are 2 types of Hyperbaric Mild Hyperbaric and 100% Oxygen Hyperbaric Chambers.I lost the use of my left arm, hand and fingers, Doctors had no clue how to help me. I went into a Mild Hyperbaric Chamber and within 5 days after my 1 hour session I could open and close my hand & fingers. I went in twice a week for 6 months about 45 sessions and now can type 42 words a minute, drive again, cut my own food, tie my own shoes, wash & do my own hair, do dishes, laundry and so much more. I got my life back. I go in the Mild Hyperbaric and listen to music. I go in for maintenence, and yes – I feel better when I am in there. Don’t knock something until you try it. Its good for more than just Autism.

16. Dedj January 20, 2010 at 22:38 #

That HbOT has some clinical uses is not under question.

Symantha’s dubious testimony would not be support for the use of HbOT in autism, even if we accept the very limited information as true.

You failed to state your condition, prognosis, or if you were recieving any additional therapy. Such poor quality testimony lends no support to the use of HbOT for anything other that what it was used for with you.

Try to actually understand the arguement before jumping in.

17. Dedj January 20, 2010 at 22:42 #

And when pretending to be three different people, try to alter your writing style. That way you won’t get found out so easily.

18. DATA January 20, 2010 at 23:17 #

(Reply) Hmmm, Boyles law is Pressure = Volume x Temp, right? So if the volume and Temp remain constant and the pressure increases what happens to the O2 molecule that is being breathed in at 100%? I will not presume your answer, rather I will wait out of respect.

(Reply) Right, but what does it really take to cause death from Hypoxia within 2 hours. How much pressure? How much Oxygen.

On a side note you can also die from drinking too much water, but the truth is it is very, very difficult. Just as I know no one who has died from drinking too much water, I also know no one who has died from Hypoxia – do you?

Your explanation of HBOT not only makes no sense but quotes irrelevant laws.

(Reply)I did not explain HBOT – I am a cerified hyperbaric chamber tech and Boyles law is the basis among other physical laws of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in both the diving and clinical environments. The difference is that the diving environment deals with massivly greater depths and therfore pressure. The more depth that you have the less time it takes to risk injury. It is common knowlege that any healthy person could remain at .5 ATA indefinitly without risk of hypoxia and 1 ATA for days. So hypoxia is not in the mix here and has never been reported in the clinical envronment. If you know of an instance I would be interested in hearing about it.

Please leave if you’re just going to talk crap at us.

(Reply)Hopefully what I have written today is not perceived as crap. I use this stuff everday and so far so good. But I am willing to learn.

Otherwise, present the evidence and allow us to view it for ourselves.

(Reply)I will be interested in your response. It seems that you may have a negative outlook, for I see nothing positive in your posts. Do you seek to help or to destroy?

I think you may be bent on the thought that HBOT may be harming Austitic children or at least a waste of money. If this is your opinion, I can not agree or disgree. I am not a parent of an autistic child. It seems to work for some and do absolutly nothing for others. The truth is that HBOT is not dangerous (more than most activities in life like driving a car) when applied properly.

Summary -HBOT is the only therapy the only way known to mankind that has any opportunity to increase the human body’s ability to repair the brain.

If you had suffered a brain trauma I think your perspective would change.

Read more: https://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2009/05/jenny-mcarthy-on-hbot/#ixzz0dC3N5t9w

19. DATA January 20, 2010 at 23:27 #

Check out this website to start on brain healing – http://www.hbot.com

20. Dedj January 20, 2010 at 23:58 #

Your questions do not relate to the observations made.

If you cannot phrase your questions to relate to the content of the post that they are supposedly related to, then cease posting.

You barged into this thread casting assertions of ignorance around, but have failed thus far to deal with the opening article or any post within the discussion. If you’re going to miss the point like that, then there is no point continuing a conversation with you.

21. Dedj January 21, 2010 at 00:06 #

“I think you may be bent on the thought that HBOT may be harming Austitic children or at least a waste of money”

Why? I haven’t questioned HbOT itself, and said nearly half an hour before your reply – “That HbOT has some clinical uses is not under question”.

Try reading what I write next time.

Questioning peoples knowledge does jack for supporting HbOT as a treatment tool in autism.

So, I basically haven’t said what you imply I have, and have stated the opposite. If you’re just going to presume my opinion for me, then there’s no point continuing.

Toodles forever.

22. DATA January 22, 2010 at 00:10 #

Hmmmm, Dedj, you are a very difficult person to converse with and that may be by your choice.

In fact I do question your knowledge, and if you have no defense for the accusation then the only thing left is to attack and try to intimidate people to get out of your way so you may spread your poison and disinformation.

Your blog is insignificant and I only stopped in to see what was up. I saw the attack on Jenny M. and read further…. further into your web of junk science.

You did not answer my questions of science. Why? Either because you can’t pass up picking a fight behind your internet facade, or because you really do not know what you are talking about. I will leave it up to the readers of this post to decide.

I challenge you to define how oxygen is manipulated by hyperbarics and what the effects on the body are. If you do not use the words “partial pressure” correctly you will have proven your ignorance and my suspicion. And while you are at it go ahead and post your education pertaining to hyperbarics in the clinical and diving arena.

If you must, don’t answer any questions here, just attack me and say something smart to intimidate me.

A very accomplished thinker said. “Dumb people talk about people, ignorant people talk about things, and wise people talk about ideas.” I can see where you fit so far!!

Out of here for now – MacLochlan

23. DATA January 22, 2010 at 00:32 #

OK, so I took a look at the rest of your site… filled mainly with news stories that support your view. Also filled with negative writting from you. It all adds up to an ignorant and unhappy man set out to change the world to believe his narrow minded view.

It was interesting when I went to the ideas link it was broken and when I ventured into the science link it contained only news stories about bad things done for autistic children. Someone reading your sight alone might think that the whole world was intentionally causing autism and then intentionally making money on inneffective cures and then covering the whole thing up. WOW, you are sick!!!!!!!!!

I only take peace in knowing that you do not posses the wisdom and education to actually do anything beside spread lies and misinformation in your silly little insignificant blog. I feel great sympathy for those who read and believe half of what you have assembled here.

Get a education, grow up, and then get a life.

That is all I have to say… for now