3 Jan

I’ve written a few times about MMS. Rather than the long articles on specific topics, I feel it’s appropriate to make a simple, short statement:

MMS, aka Miracle Mineral Solution, aka CD, aka chlorine dioxide is bogus. It’s junk. Worse than that, it’s abusive. Yes, you will find segments of the autism-parent community who promote and use it. But that doesn’t make it actually useful, nor does it make it OK to use.

Here’s the thing–it’s a bleach solution. The idea that this can work to “detoxify” or “kill parasites” is just flat out wrong.

The Autism Research Institute (ARI), a group which has promoted unproven alternative treatments for autism throughout its history, has this to say:

Given these issues, we advise against using MMS at this time. We hope parents will remain critical of unsubstantiated claims that children have recovered or greatly improved in the absence of objective proof. We also strongly encourage any parents who choose to administer MMS to their children to report it to their physician so that side effects can be monitored.

If a group such as ARI, a group favorable to alt-med, comes out with such a strong statement, you know it’s time to question the “scientific” claims and testimonials.

As to why I call this abusive? Used as an enema (one method strongly promoted by MMS activists) it causes people to pass the lining of their intestines. You can find pictures of these “worms” on the web, where people claim they have killed a parasite. (This is just the worst use of MMS. Taken orally it is still abusive).

Again, from the ARI:

The mucous threads that children expel during MMS treatment, which have been touted as worms (though laboratory analysis does not support this claim), are the body’s method of protecting itself from induced oxidative stress in the lower digestive tract equivalent to the mid-day sun in its ability to produce severe sunburn.

Seriously, what else can one call pushing chemicals into disabled children’s digestive tracts until they start passing tissues? Yes, parents subjecting their children to this are not doing so with the intent to abuse, but they are being fooled into a harmful act.

Since I keep getting commenters on this blog defending this practice, I felt the need to make this short and clear statement. MMS is bogus. It’s harmful.

Just don’t do it.

By Matt Carey

Advertisements

12 Responses to “MMS, Miracle Mineral Solution, CD, Chlorine Dioxide…call it what you will, it’s abusive and it’s fake medicine”

1. Gregorio J Placeres January 3, 2019 at 22:24 #

Your opinion in this matter is worthless, I’M A CHEMIST AND I SAID YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG. 145 kid recovered from autism with Sodium Chlorite 28% non Acidified does not mean nothing to you. My three years investigation and my personal experience that I cured my herpes with it is more than your word and you personal opinion. I don’t know what happened to you to be so opinionated about this. STOP and let it go. YOU ARE NOT in any capacity to express yourself without any personal evidence that you was affected for the incorrect use of this chemical.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 3, 2019 at 22:35 #

If you are going to pull credentials–I am a Ph.D. materials physicist. With over 100 publications in highly reputable journals. MMS is bogus.

Yes, I am aware that Kerri Rivera claims some number of children “recovered” from autism. Claims made by Kerri Rivera–a charlatan profiting from MMS–of recovery are, indeed meaningless to me. All charlatans rely on testiminals. As shown before, Kerri Rivera counts anyone who sends her an email claiming recovery. She does no checking.

I am sorry that you were caught by this bogus scam. However, that does not forgive you for your actions promoting this abuse.

If you are successful, disabled children will be subjected to bleach enemas. For NO REASON.

I see you, too, are in the MMS business. Because of you, disabled children are suffering. Enjoy your profits. Goodbye, charlatan.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 3, 2019 at 22:44 #

this is you, Gregorio: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gregorio-j-placeres-a517b26

Let’s see, you are “I’M A CHEMIST”

Your LinkedIn page lists you’re skills as

Specialties: Visual Foxpro
      Visual Basic .Net, Chemist

Your recent jobs as “forum user” and “computer programer”. The last time you worked as a chemist was in 1998.

More importantly, a quick search of the web shows you to be in the business of MMS. With your own “protocol”.

Gee, when you left the comment, you made none of this clear. You didn’t mention your financial interest. Nor that your expertise in chemistry is actually lacking. Instead you wanted readers to see you as a guy who was “cured” of herpes by MMS.

Funny how MMS cures everything, isn’t it? From herpes to malaria to HIV to autism. All very different, yet all cured by the same thing. That’s a HUGE indicator of something being charlatanism.

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 3, 2019 at 22:45 #

And, I removed the link to your website. I am not here to provide links for people promoting abuse of my community.

• Andrew January 4, 2019 at 01:17 #

Pretty good parody of the typical MMS shill. You’ve captured the random capitalization, the lies, and the hilarious offense they take at being criticized for selling fake medicine for use on children. Well done.

• louveha January 4, 2019 at 08:15 #

Gregorio J Placeres : Even if you had a job more recently as a chemist, and no potential conflict of interest, you don’t realize that these credentials are quasi irrelevant in judging if a treatment work or not. Maybe it can help you partly to determine if a treatment can work in theory (not counting knowledge more specific to medicine in how the human body and diseases work).
      However, thinking that a treatment can work in theory is only the beginning. And by only talking about testimonials, even personal ones, you demonstrate your ignorance on clinical trials and why we need them.
      So YOU ARE NOT in any capacity to express yourself without proprely conducted clinical trials.

• Andrew January 4, 2019 at 15:47 #

“(Also, love how you assume that anyone experimenting detrimental effects from MMS comes from “incorrect use”.)”

Since any use is incorrect, all bad effects _are_ due to incorrect use.

• Science Mom January 8, 2019 at 16:41 #

You aren’t a chemist and it isn’t an “opinion” that CD is harmful; it’s demonstrable fact.

2. Lawrence January 4, 2019 at 17:34 #

Wow, these posts do bring out the crazies, don’t they?

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) January 4, 2019 at 23:45 #

I’m getting comments on years-old articles. They want to protect their beliefs and their businesses. Throwing confusion up against critical articles is a piece of that.

• JudetheAbruse February 17, 2019 at 16:22 #

I am new to your blog, and although I am not a parent of a diagnosed child, my brother and his son, my nephew, both are diagnosed with Asperger’s. My nephew was diagnosed early (2nd grade) and received a lot of support and coping therapy from 4th grade to graduation. He has been very successful and presently attends a top-ten nationally ranked university and completed an internship in Asia that would have confounded and further depressed his father. My brother, as equally intellectually gifted as his son (he is in his late 50s) did not receive a diagnosis until he was in his early 50s, and has struggled his entire life in school, in relationships, and in keeping steady employment. He has been viewed, by his employers, as “eccentric,” “obsessive,” “cold/unempathetic” and “not a team player.” My late father also manifested features of Asperger’s and only his academic work and tenure saved his employment and relationships with people in his field and department, although he was asked to retire the minute he turned 65. After witnessing the relationship between an early and accurate diagnosis, consequent counseling stressing coping strategies and happiness gained from personal success in the case of my nephew, it is apparent to me that a good part of the hyped “autism explosion” is better diagnosing. At least those on the Asperger’s spectrum are given, in areas that have better resources, a diagnosis as opposed to a list of severe “character flaws to work on” as my brother and father were given. As well, informed by the army that he was not college material by the army, my father was told that he should become a draftsman because he had the right eye for detail and needed a job where he worked alone.
        But the availability of social resources is key to an early and accurate diagnosis. And those living in poverty or in remote sections of the country are underdiagnosed and undertreated; if they had access, one would expect the numbers of those diagnosed would only rise.
        Personally, I use the anti-vaxxer arguments on the alleged “explosion of autism” in my Critical Thinking and Analytical Writing courses. The progenitors of the movement’s misuse of and uninformed extrapolation of data, their death grips on badly designed and completely debunked studies, and their tolerance for professional maleficence from scam artists like the above “chemist” responder are eye-openers for my undergraduates, many who come into the course accepting anti-vaxxer “science.”

But what I can’t understand, what I can’t wrap my head around is parents’/caregivers’ use of MMR to “cure” their autistic children, which in addition of the sheer cruelty and abuse, screams at the child that “you are a flawed human, so flawed we have to cure you in a most desperately and dangerously manner.” (Best. Message. Ever, Mom and Dad). I get how the Autism/intestinal parasite connection became patched together: some genius read articles on the coexistence of a certain species of gut bacterial flora and depression and thought, “but of course!” However, in these few studies, the causal factor is unknown, or more specifically, it is unproven: namely, a relationship between the genesis of the gut bacteria and the onset of depression. They just co-exist in some people.
        How is it that people who give their children bleach enemas are not brought up on child abuse charges? Seriously? Wouldn’t a doctor be compelled to report this “treatment” to Child Protective Services? I know as a teacher I would be legally bound to notify CPS if a child after being given a bleach enema suffered obvious pain, trouble sitting or walking, and then told me the source of the discomfort. I don’t think the parents are intentionally trying to be abject torturers, but they are showing a remarkable lack of judgment and basic knowledge about appropriate treatments for a child. To the child’s detriment, they lack appreciation of the anatomy and the flora of the gut and any consequent parasitology, which should be left medical professionals to determine: certainly the parents are not treating a pinworm infection). Before anyone gives their child or charge an MMR enema, I suggest that he or she dips a cotton swab in the solution and then presses the swab *lightly* to the roof of the mouth. I think, maybe too optimistically, that the swab might change the entire day’s agenda.
        Sorry for my longwindedness! I am just so thrilled to have discovered this blog!

3. doritmi January 5, 2019 at 09:59 #

The fact that you actually need to write that giving industrial strength bleach to children is wrong, and that someone actually pushes back, is highly disturbing.