20 May

Dr. Andrew Wakefield gives an interview in a recent story in the Austin Statesman, Censured doctor says he’ll resume autism research in Austin.

Dr. Wakefield is the primary doctor behind the idea that the MMR vaccine causes autism. His initial paper suggesting this link has been retracted by The Lancet, and the General Medical Council ruled that he was dishonest in his research efforts and showed a callous disregard for his subjects. He expects to lose his license when the GMC finishes the second phase of their action against him next Monday.

According to Dr. Wakefield, this will be the “final effort by the mainstream medical establishment to silence him and stop his research.”

I am at a loss for how this could silence him or stop his research. Dr. Wakefield resides in the United States and has for some time. Even when he was doing research in the United Kingdom, he was not working in a capacity to use his medical license (at least to my understanding).

The interview continues–

“Now that they have come to their determination, I will make absolutely sure the truth comes out,” Wakefield said. “I think I am in a position to encourage people to take a more serious look at the kinds of projects I am considering,” such as researching the long-term health of children who have been vaccinated and those who have not been vaccinated.

Again, I am at a loss. Why has Dr. Wakefield waited until he lost his license, something which he does not use, to make sure that the truth comes out? I would also question whether he is in a position to be taken seriously.

Dr. Wakefield is further quoted:

“Vaccine safety is built upon the confidence of the public u2026 and I’m not prepared to (compromise) that,” he said Wednesday, adding that he hopes people will read the book and “make up their own minds about what is real and what isn’t real.”

Dr. Wakefield is not prepared to compromize the public’s confidence in vaccines?

I am, yet again, at a loss for words.

On the subject of Dr. Wakefield’s future efforts:

Wakefield said he resigned from Thoughtful House so he wouldn’t be a distraction from its work. He said Thoughtful House was getting away from a focus on gastrointestinal issues and autism. Krigsman posted a message to former Thoughtful House patients saying their records would be forwarded to him, and they could see him at a “new, independent” office in Austin where Wakefield said he would do research similar to what he did at Thoughtful House.

9 Responses to “Dr. Andrew Wakefield to join Dr. Arthur Krigsman in clinic independent of Thoughtful House?”

1. Rogue Medic May 20, 2010 at 13:33 #

What an amazing delusion this guy maintains. More amazing is that some people claim that it is a big pharma conspiracy to shut him up, when he was the one taking money under the table and trying to sell a vaccine to compete with the MMR. He had every reason to lie. He was caught telling lies. The conspiracy was between the lawyers and Wakefield.

2. Emily May 20, 2010 at 14:54 #

It’s like a damned hydra.

3. David N. Brown May 20, 2010 at 18:08 #

This reminds me of a local news story: In AZ, we actually have flooding problems, at certain times of year. (My brother used to say, we get all our rain at once.) Sometimes motorists have to be rescued when they get stuck. On this particular occasion, a man tried to drive his SUV across a flooded wash, only to get stuck. An air lift was necessary to get him to safety. Once he was home, he called a friend who owned an SUV, and they both tried to drive that SUV over the same wash.
    So, returning to the case at hand: Wakefield has become such a liability that the organization he started let him go. So, he is going to try to start a new organization to promote the same agenda.
    Blub, blub…

4. Tricia Myers November 1, 2011 at 23:41 #

I think Dr. Wakefield is an amazing doctor and have seen him lecture a few times……What an amazing guy!

5. Chris November 2, 2011 at 00:26 #

Yes, Ms. Myers, psychopaths are often very charming. It makes it easier to hide their fraud.

• Sullivan November 2, 2011 at 01:02 #

I’ve seen Mr. Wakefield lecture a few times. I’ve also fact checked his statements. Accuracy wasn’t his strong point. Then again, neither was ethics.

6. Prometheus November 2, 2011 at 15:36 #

Chris,

I believe the current term is “antisocial personality disorder”. Here is the “checklist” from the DSM IV (TR):

A) There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:

1.failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
    2.deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;</p?
    3.impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead;
    4.irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
    5.reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
    6.consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
    7.lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;

B) The individual is at least age 18 years.
    C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.
    D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.

Prometheus

7. Prometheus November 2, 2011 at 15:38 #

Shoot – that didn’t format the way I thought. Let me try again.

Chris,

3.impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead;

5.reckless disregard for safety of self or others;

B) The individual is at least age 18 years.

C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.

Prometheus

8. Chris November 2, 2011 at 16:56 #

Sorry, though I was basing it on Jon Ronson’s recent book The Psychopath Test.

My personal experience with such a person was as a juror in a civil case presided by Judge Gary Little. He was an incredibly charming man, and it made the five weeks of figuring out how much to compensate a man for his property that is now part of the city’s “subway” bearable, especially since I found out I was pregnant. On my last day of work Judge Little committed suicide, just as a news article came out that he was a pedophile.

Perhaps those events during my pregnancy is why my son had seizures and is disabled. It is as good an explanation as any other.