Mitt Romney and the 47%

19 Sep

Mitt Romney, Republican candidate for President in the U.S., was secretly videotaped at a high end fundraiser earlier this year. Mother Jones released this video as part of their story:

SECRET VIDEO: Romney Tells Millionaire Donors What He REALLY Thinks of Obama Voters
When he doesn’t know a camera’s rolling, the GOP candidate shows his disdain for half of America.

The main paragraph that is getting a great deal of focus is this one:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.

Mr. Romney is incorrect on a number of facts and interpretations, as has been covered in many places.

In addition to the groups who are incorrectly characterized by Mr. Romney, there are people like my kid. Someone who is dependent on the people of the United States for support. First, remember, Mr. Romney, we are the government? I thought that was a Republican viewpoint. My kid being dependent on the people for support is the same as being dependent on the government.

My kid may never pay income tax. This is true. But I do. And I vote. And I don’t like my kid being your scapegoat.

Advertisements

30 Responses to “Mitt Romney and the 47%”

1. usethebrainsgodgiveyou September 20, 2012 at 00:55 #

I feel sorry for my Republican friends. This has to be painful. At the same time, it may be the MOTHER OF ALL DOG WHISTLES. That’s what we call hidden racist/ gay/poor/”other” mongering statements here in America. The phobic ones hear what he is saying ,and think, he’s our man. I’m not sure it will hurt him at all.

• chavisory September 20, 2012 at 03:27 #

I dunno…I think it really might this time. Because a number of people who he insulted, who possibly pay no income tax because of child tax credits, etc., are people who wouldn’t necessarily have voted for Obama. And he just demonstrated a high degree of either cluelessness or callousness about their lives and finances.

2. lilady September 20, 2012 at 04:13 #

Romney’s comments just show that he is out of touch with the common man (or woman). A large proportion of those people are the “working poor” who do not make enough money to pay Federal Income Tax, but they pay into the Social Security and Medicare Funds, through payroll deductions. They pay Federal Excise Tax on gasoline, if they own a car. They pay State and Local income taxes if they live in areas of the country where those taxes are levied against earned income.

Here’s a great analysis of Romney’s “47 % of people are dependent on the government and getting ‘handouts’ and don’t pay taxes” remark.

Your child is disabled and dependent on Medicaid and Medicare…tough.

Don’t forget that far-to-the-right fringe which has taken over the Republican Party would have preferred a libertarian like Dr. Ron (“Let ’em die, if they don’t have health care insurance”) Paul to run for President.

3. Morgan September 20, 2012 at 07:51 #

Go ahead and burn Romney. Meanwhile, your guy does this: http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20120917/ARTICLES/120919729/1004/ARTICLES?p=1&tc=pg&tc=ar
    Take yer pick

• Lawrence September 20, 2012 at 10:49 #

@Morgan – how exactly is that Obama’s fault? As far as I can see, Romney has conceded that he can only rely on his own base (forget women, minorities, and young people).

Oh, and I’m waiting for Romney to prove that he’s not in the 47% either…where are his tax returns?

• Morgan September 20, 2012 at 14:44 #

@Lawrence Did you think it was someone else’s US Department of Ed?

• novalox September 20, 2012 at 17:13 #

@morgan

And how does a local school matter go all the way up to the president? IANTP, but I don’t think this matter would have gone up the chain of command yet.

Not to be mean or anything, but you’re grasping at straws here.

• l'asperge September 29, 2012 at 03:13 #

Lawrence’s comment is consistent with Obama Derangement Syndrome, a spectrum disorder. Most likely Palin-like Developmental Delay – Not Otherwise Specified.

• novalox September 29, 2012 at 04:54 #

@l’asperge

Now why should we listen to your insults? Do you have nothing to add or are you just here to make yourself look like a fool?

And why do you smell curiously of socks?

• Morgan September 21, 2012 at 08:15 #

@Novalox/Lawrence

“On Aug. 27, the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) completed an investigation into the district’s seclusion rooms that was opened in February. The inquiry found that the district had no compliance issues with N.C.’s Greenblatt Act, which gives schools strategies, such as seclusion rooms, to deal with students’ aggressive behavior.”

Yer politicians are just as lousy as the next guy’s politicians. If you’re thinking that autistics will fare differently under this one or that one, then I’m saying plainly: I’m thinking you’re dreaming.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. But count me out. I got my own delusions to attend to.

4. Clay September 20, 2012 at 09:13 #

I’ve been predicting all year that Romney would embarrass himself so badly that he would rather not go out campaigning and asking people face to face for their votes, and given his recent schedule, it seems we’re already at that point. Yet, as bad as he looks in this secret video, it’s nothing compared to what’s going to happen soon. I say that after the first debate, (where he’ll make a total fool of himself), the Republican Party, Karl Rove, and the Koch brothers will drop their support of him and give their money instead to Republicans running for Senate and the House. I hope he brings down everyone on the ticket with him, in every state.

5. Science Mom September 20, 2012 at 13:30 #

I would be rather upset if I dropped 50K for a plate of Chicken Kiev and remarks from a presidential candidate who crapped on half of the country. Incidentally, those 47% pay a higher proportion in payroll taxes than Romney does.

• RAJ September 20, 2012 at 13:48 #

Among the 47%er’s are unemployed Iraqi and Afghanistan war veterans, Military families with chidren who don’t earn enugh to to pay income taxes many of whom qualify for food stamps. Retirees who rely mainly on social security benefits they have earned over a lifetime of paying payroll taxes.The majority of people who qualify for Medicaid SSI and food stamps are poor children, the disabled and the elderly poor, Over 10% of Medicaid costs are nursing home costs incurred by the elderly who can’t take care of themselves. Romney/Ryan’s plans to reduce the budget deficit include a 30% cut to Medicaid while increasing the Defense Budget and giving more tax cuts to the wealthiest.

Romney won’t win Even the right wing Fox News published a poll yesterday showing Obama expanding his lead nationally by nine points 49-40.and inthe battleground states of Ohio and Virginia (Obama up by 7 points) and Florida (up by 5 points).

Flip flopping Romney’s problems is best summed by this parody:

• stanley seigler October 3, 2012 at 05:11 #

probably since LBJ signed the civil rights legislation (and GOPs pandered to us rednecks)…but perhaps the pendulum is swinging toward more compassionate progressive programs…

• stanley seigler October 2, 2012 at 13:53 #

those who dropped $50k are mitt’s people (kochbro-ilk) who crap on half (make that 99% of the country) the country…

they are not upset they are/were ecstatic…

sadly there may enough of the 99%-ers who think mitt/koch-ilk care about them/us…our country…to elect mitt…these deluded 99-ers are still anticipating the trickle down…instead of the trickle on their leg, they are told is rain water.

• Roger Kulp October 3, 2012 at 03:44 #

The uneducated Tea Party types,who are either lower working class,or low income retirees have been voting against their best interests,ever since Reagan ran in 1980.It’s nothing new,but what are you going to do?

• stanley seigler October 3, 2012 at 05:57 #

re: probably since LBJ signed the civil rights,etc…above

comment was in response to kulp’s comment ‘uneducated Tea Party types’…

opine: the rednecks evolved into the TP uneducated…but there are educated rednecks/TPers who have legitimate concerns…however;

politics are not within then scope of LBRB…so maybe nuff said…

6. mikemawords September 20, 2012 at 14:09 #

I have not been thrilled with Obama creeping slowly into the future but to watch Romney run screaming into the past is offensive. He lives in a wealth bubble and can only relate to others in that same bubble.

When dumb as a rock Shrub ran, at least he could be touted as a guy you’d like to have a beer with. No way Romney fits that image, ever.

That Romney does not recognize that the vast majority of the people in the country he is running to serve rule will never relate to the kind of wealth he has had all his life is a tragedy. He also doesn’t recognize that some of the 47% were his supporters.

• Lawrence September 20, 2012 at 14:57 #

@Mike – I loved his comment about Nascar…that he doesn’t normally watch, but several of his friends “own” Nascar teams…..the guy will never be able to relate to people who have to worry from paycheck to paycheck.

7. RAJ September 20, 2012 at 15:10 #

Mitt Romn ey and Paul Ryan who have insulted and denigrated the 47% of people who pay no federal income taxes but pay plenty of other taxes such as social security and Medicare taxes, state and and local sales taxes, federal and state gasoline taxes and many other hidden federal and state taxes.

Here is the story of two people who Romney insulted as moochers and freeloaders. Mitt Romney’s father George Romney began life in poverty and rose to being elected as the Republican Governor of Michigan and was the President/CEO of American Motors. During his campaign for governor of Michigan his wife (Mitt’s mom) gave an interview with a local TV station and reported that Mitt’s dad was a poor immigrant from Mexico who for many years as a boy received welfare payments.

Paul Ryan also has a family member who he would describe as freeloader, Paul Ryan himself. Paul Ryan’s father died suddenly whe was 15 years old and received social security survivor benefits until age 18 and banked his social security survivor benefit to help pay his college tuition costs.

‘With his father’s passing, young Paul collected Social Security benefits until age 18, which he put away for college’

8. lilady September 29, 2012 at 09:11 #

Romney and his choice of a running mate Paul Ryan have painted themselves into a corner, insofar as their avowed pledge to roll back the newly enacted Patient Affordable Care Act:

Look at the provisions of the Act that benefit disabled children and adults, the elderly and people with preexisting serious medical conditions:

At one time, Romney was a more *moderate* Republican. He quickly learned that moderate or even fiscally conservative Republicans do not have a chance to be nominated for the Presidential race…now that the Party has been hijacked by the fringe elements.

So Romney panders to the far, far-to-the-right fringe elements and he is losing more and more of the Independents’ votes.

People are starting to cast their absentee ballots; by election day those absentee ballots could be 40 % of the total votes cast. Romney didn’t get *a bounce* after the Republican convention. Even if he performs spectacularly well (which he won’t), when he debates Obama starting next week, those absentee ballots have already been cast.

I’m a registered Independent. I like to say that I vote my conscience. Why does my conscience ALWAYS tell me to cast my vote for Democrats?

• Lawrence September 29, 2012 at 23:10 #

@lilady – Romney can’t really talk about Obamacare, since his plan in MA was the original blueprint. Republicans can’t offer an alternative, because Obamacare is, almost to a “T” what their original plan was going to be……

• lilady September 30, 2012 at 00:44 #

@ Lawrence: Romney would love to bury his history of universal health care while he was governor of Massachusetts.

Obama’s sharp political operatives immediately *tagged him*…once he became a serious contender for the Republican nomination.

IMO, the most amazing part of this *debate*, is that the most conservative panel of the USSC during the past 100 years, ruled that *Obamacare* is constitutional.

9. mooncatadamsClay September 29, 2012 at 23:35 #

I wish the election was over already, as I’m really tired of the attack ads and especially having to see/hear the Mittster on my TV. But yes, I plan to watch the debates – I can always use a good laugh!

• Chris September 30, 2012 at 04:29 #

That is why I only watch recorded TV programs. I just zip through the commercials.

10. Lawrence September 30, 2012 at 20:50 #

We’re getting a number of Romney-Ryan robocalls right now, very annoying.

• Chris October 1, 2012 at 07:42 #

I hang up because I don’t listen to robots. And for the humans who call, I tell them that they should look up folks on the “Do Not Call” list (like me), and avoid using those numbers. Because it tends to make us angry.

• Ken October 1, 2012 at 12:34 #

Non-profits and political campaigns are exempt from the do not call list. Too bad. Many non-profit calls are from professional fundraisers who can take a third or more of any donation that is made.

• Chris October 1, 2012 at 15:42 #

So are businesses that you are already a customer of. I lectured the bank guy that calling me to redo my mortgage would make me go to another bank, and that they should really not bug people who are on the “Do Not Call” list.

Just like I did to the person who called from some political campaign. I tell charitable groups (real or not real) that I only give to the Scottish Rite Center for Childhood Language Disorders (now call “Rite Care) since they provided my oldest son over twenty thousand dollars of free intensive speech therapy. They usually do not bug me much after that.

Oh, and I also have a “No Solicitor” sign by my front door. Before the primary I had several political canvassers per week, and they all claimed there were not “solicitors” (as did the guy who ran a business over on the next block!). I reminded them they were soliciting for my vote. So I printed out the definition of solicitor, and added that includes anyone who is soliciting for my vote, funds for charity, signatures, business, etc.

I just don’t understand why people think that those of us on the “Do Not Call” List or have “No Solicitors” on our front door would be happy to talk to them. They seem confused because I get angry at them.

11. Lawrence October 1, 2012 at 13:58 #

@Ken – or worse, there was a recent article that some professional fundraisers can take up to 90% of the haul.