Sentencing expected for mother who attempted to murder her autistic daughter

7 Oct

Isabelle Stapleton is an autistic teenager who survived an attempted murder by her mother.  The mother has pled guilty to a lesser charge and is expected to be sentenced on Tuesday, reports SeattlePi.com

Sentence expected for mother of autistic teen

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Sentencing expected for mother who attempted to murder her autistic daughter”

1. Narad October 7, 2014 at 08:27 #

Speaking of which, Dorothy Spourdalakis has another court appearance coming up today.

• lilady October 7, 2014 at 11:38 #

Let us know, if there are any significant changes in the status of this murdering mother and/or the caretaker, who, the last time we had a status report, were scheduled to stand trial for the premeditated murder of young Alex.

Thanks Narad.

• Narad October 8, 2014 at 03:08 #

Next court appearance is on November 19. I’m not hauling my ass over to 26th & California on public transit (although it beats the other jury-duty assignment locations) to view the case file.

2. lilady October 7, 2014 at 11:34 #

I’d like for the sentencing of Kelli Stapleton to be over and done with, so that her “case” does not become another in a long list of martyrs who just couldn’t handle her autistic child.

3. lilady October 8, 2014 at 12:45 #

I checked out internet news outlets and the sentencing of Kelli Stapleton will not take place until Wednesday, at the earliest. The sentencing judge allowed Kelli’s ex-husband and a forensic psychiatrist to testify (for the defense), yesterday.

Since Kelli’s arrest, her friends took over her blog and were fundraising for $20,000 for an expert witness. They raised $50,000 and I believe the expert witness is that psychiatrist, who, according to news outlets, claimed Kelli was insane at the time of the crime and is still insane.

4. Shannon Rosa October 8, 2014 at 23:16 #

Kelli was sentenced to 10 – 22 years today. Much less than she deserved, but apparently that is a significant sentence for her plea bargain-reduced charge of child abuse: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/106a1b928f7043268b93738676507eba/sentencing-mom-who-tried-kill-autistic-girl

• Sullivan (Matt Carey) October 8, 2014 at 23:37 #

I appreciate hearing this. It’s about in line what I thought would happen. First degree child abuse has an open ended term–no minimum and a maximum of life. Second degree has a maximum of 10 years. I was expecting on the order of 10 years.

Apparently the insanity argument failed. I don’t know her, of course, but the idea of “my kid drove me insane so I thought I’d kill her and ‘take her to heaven’ ” did not sit well with me.