Mark Geier: vaccine lover

7 Sep

Sometimes reality is just stranger than fiction. Consider Mark Geier. He’s the doctor whose license has been suspended in Maryland for his treatment of autistic children with Lupron. He’s been a regular expert witness in the vaccine court for something like 20 years. He’s got multiple papers out on the dangers of mercury in vaccines.

Think that’s enough to please the vaccines-cause-autism crowd? Think again.

Stroll over to Facebook where a heated discussion is ongoing.

…you’re wrong on that one…. from personal experience having dinner with Dr. Geier….he has no problem with the vaccines other than mercury. He told me to my face at dinner that he gave his patients the H1N1 vaccine last year (Hg free of course). Sorry, but that is from personal experience….he’s a hack in my book.

Yep. Giving vaccines makes one a hack. Treating faux precocious puberty, not so much.

the response?

…thanks for saying that…I detected he was a vaccine lover.

Yep, he’s a “vaccine lover”. Mark Geier. That’s his failing.

… I know I’ll probably make some enemies over this but I call em’ as I see em’ and this was NOT hearsay. He told me that to my face at dinner…I got up, called him a moron and didn’t come back to finish my dinner. I fumed all night!

Well, there you have it. Tell the wrong people you gave vaccinations and you are a hack, a “moron” and you make people lose their appetite.

The world never ceases to amaze.

Advertisements

15 Responses to “Mark Geier: vaccine lover”

1. sharon September 7, 2011 at 04:49 #

2. Catherina September 7, 2011 at 08:56 #

what Sharon says…

3. Ken Reibel September 7, 2011 at 14:56 #

That would be Curt Linderman, who hosts an AutismOne radio show. I’m sure Dr. Geier will be amused to read Linderman’s version of the dinner conversation.

4. Liz Ditz September 7, 2011 at 19:07 #

I was able to see the exchange on Facebook.

The “personal experience having dinner with Dr. Geier” and the “I got up, called him a moron and didn’t come back to finish my dinner” comments were from this individual, and the “I detected he was a vaccine lover” was from this individual, who went on to write:

tell him to ignore SV40 and XMRV and mycoplasma…as well as the other neurotoxic ingredients too…once you do that, all parts of vaccines don’t make sense!…he [Geier] wrote me one time asking for why I believe all parts of vaccines can cause autism. I gave him tons of abstracts, as well as a direct quote from Dr Judy Mikovits (XMRV guru), and he didn’t email back…yep…

5. Prometheus September 7, 2011 at 19:15 #

Sharon comments:

“I call bullshit on the dinner party conversation. Sounds like two 12 year olds chatting in the schoolyard.”

I have two points:

[1] 12-year old also eat dinner.

[2] I’ve met a number of (“neurotypical”) people who are chronologically adults but emotionally (and behaviorally) pre-adolescents.

Since the “vaccines-cause-autism” movement seems to preferentially attract the people described in [2], this exchange seems perfectly plausible to me.

Prometheus

6. Prometheus September 7, 2011 at 19:23 #

One final comment:

It seems odd to me that Dr. Geier would mention giving vaccines – even mercury-free vaccines – in the company of well-known anti-vaccine activists. It seems rather like discussing the merits of free-range chicken in a group of vegans.

While he may indeed give vaccines (or did when he still had a real medical practice – one where patients were seen in person and by him instead of his non-doctor son), it seems that he needlessly aggravated his “support base” by admitting so publicly. Oh well, it’s not like he hasn’t shown poor judgment before.

Prometheus

• Sullivan September 7, 2011 at 20:47 #

The person who got angry and left the table does podcasts for AutismOne. One of the few podcasts I listened to included a description of how he wanted to outlive Paul Offit. The reason? So he (autismone podcaster) could piss on Dr. Offit’s grave.

Which is to say, I do not find the dinner conversation incompatible with that gentleman’s history.

The other person I believe has outright stated that she is antivaccine in the comments of AoA. Perhaps also in the discussions leading up to the “Green Our Vaccines” rally, where there was some strong debate about whether the antivaccine contingent should be allowed a clear public voice.

7. K_Dad September 7, 2011 at 20:16 #

This would also be a good thread to reference when they start in on how they’re not really “anti” vaccines. Clearly these people hate vaccines completely. Utterly. I believe one participant here says that vaccines “have no worth.”

8. sharon September 7, 2011 at 23:46 #

@ Prometheus, you will also be aware that many people (mostly NT) will embellish the truth in an effort to generate perceived credibility for their position.

9. sharon September 7, 2011 at 23:50 #

wow having just read the links from Liz Ditz I stand by my initial claim. That guy’s one angry loose cannon.

10. Broken Link September 8, 2011 at 03:05 #

Indeed, Sharon. They are all very angry. At each other, and at (Dr.) Geier, and at the medical establishment.

I’m beginning to wonder if anger isn’t really their distinguishing feature. They don’t have any evidence on their side, just some kind of terrible grudge against what they perceive happened to their children. They will immediately say that they were there, and they witnessed the damage. I do believe that they think this is true. But if they just opened their eyes, they would have to realize that the scientific evidence shows that their experience is a coincidence, an anomaly, and what they saw was entirely by accident.

• Sullivan September 8, 2011 at 03:16 #

Broken Link,

how can you say that? They have data. Peruvian hamsters. Tiny studies on macaques. Mice which eat each other’s brains.

Nothing reproducible. Nothing on topic. Nothing really solid. But enough to create a smokescreen. And, dismiss anything counter to the argument with a waive of the conspiracy wand, and what else do you need?

11. Prometheus September 8, 2011 at 05:05 #

Sharon,

I wasn’t saying that the person relaying the “dinner party” story might not be “embroidering” their tale (or, in fact, making it up out of whole cloth), merely that what I know of their behavior is not inconsistent with the story.

As for their hatred – it’s all they have, since they don’t have any data that supports their position. As my cousin the lawyer says:

“If the facts support your case, pound the facts. If the law supports your case, pound the law. If nothing supports your case, pound the table.”

That’s why they’re always pounding the table.

Prometheus

12. sharon September 8, 2011 at 05:23 #

@Broken link, yes I agree that anger is a recurring and uniting theme. It’s pathological, and never has the opportunity to die down because they each fan the others fury. ‘Big Pharma’ and Drs become the perfect objects of projection.

@Prometheus, that’s a great phrase. Fitting in this context.

13. Anne September 9, 2011 at 09:11 #

So this happened recently, citing

Dr Judy Mikovits (XMRV guru)

to support one’s cause?

You mean the researcher whose XMRV findings were recently found to be contamination? And her response was to threaten the researchers who found the contamination and the journals that published those papers (beginning with PLoS)?

Yeah, that’s about the right level of research quality for the anti-vaxxers.